A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

LQTM @ Dodgers and a Rare Pitching Dilemma

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 27, 2011

I know it’s probably not good for baseball, but seeing the Dodgers file for bankruptcy had me smiling a bit over my morning coffee. After being morally bankrupt for years this is a fitting compliment…….

Nice to have an off day today. With 6 games in 5 days we will need it. I’m not sure who takes the extra start this week. Mota? Probably. There isn’t anyone to call up. What worries me is the Zito start. Once he goes his usual 4.1 the bullpen will be taxed for that game and then I’m not sure how we go Mota/Affeldt on the extra game. I guess we’ll see what happens……

I took the time to appreciate that start from Bumgarner last night. After a total fail the start before he bounced back big time on the national stage. The Tribe left here beaten, broken, dazed and confused……..

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings

(I only dropped 2 pts and it could have been worse. My pitching staff went 1.1 innings yesterday with a tidy 60.75 ERA and a sleek 8.25 WHIP. It wasn’t all bad, I think it prepared me well for Zito’s start this week)

1. willieD said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:39 am

waving at the breaking ball in the dirt, which tribe did a few times last night, has got to be the worst look for any hitter. Altho flailing at the high hard one, which bum also induced a couple times, might be next.
    Reading thru the aaron bio (thx for the tip zum), ralph garr and dusty baker confirm that hank used to be able to tell them how he was going to be pitched by the opposing pitcher, with regularity and accuracy they couldn’t imagine.
    I guess that’s another quality only the best hitters have…they can guess what’s coming using their intuition and make the split second adjustment when wrong. And of course make something happen, right or wrong.
    Hall had a great game last night, steal, great base running on the stewart hit, and on base twice with a hit and a walk.
    With the DH tomorrow to open the series, there is also a chance SF puts a hurt on the cubs pen in heat and humidity of midwest, and it fucks them up for the next two. Detroit is rolling, that will be tougher, esp with TBA probably going Friday. Henry mentions runzler.

• xootsuit said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:15 am

What DH?

• xootsuit said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

Oh. double header. For a moment there I wondered if they were going off to play the WSox.

2. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:58 am

re: pitching dilemma — the way Krukow has described similar situations in the past, Vogelsong’s game is early enough, they can count him as 4 1/2 days rest, to start for Sat Jul 2. The rotation for Cubs will be Vogie/Zito tomorrow, Timmy on Wed., Horse on Thu. Bummie’s normal day on 5-rest is Fri. Obviously, this works out better if Vogie jumps out early tomorrow with a good lead or otherwise keeps a minimal pitch count.

Again, this is just the way Kruk has described past situations — actual mileage may vary.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:01 am

This would also put Zito into what was Vog’s Sun. Jul 3 start, keeping Tim’s regularly scheduled Mon Jul 4th start intact.

3. willieD said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:05 am

Besides the stellar pitching, you can’t discount the importance of defense either. Tribe had a terrible weekend of D despite pitching pretty well overall. Torres had a great grab to end saturday game, stewart gunned down the guy trying to steal third yesterday aided by a nice sweep tag from sando.
    Rox lost yesterday to the Yanks when tulo booted one hit right at him, and next batter drove in the go ahead run with a single in a game rox once led 3-0.

• stixwiz said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:31 am

Willie: It’s hard to get a true assessment of opposition pitching quality when they are facing the current Giants offense and playing at McCovey Cove. Carmona yesterday would be a prime example of a hurler who has had some problems keeping it in the park, to say nothing of guys getting on base and scoring via every which fashion. Yet, overall, he had a pretty decent outing yesterday.

Giants offense is such a Jekyll and Hyde act whether on the road or at home that one cannot get a very good overall assessment of that either. Were SF to play a three-gamer at Cleveland with the same pitching matchups, my guess is that Indians hitters would have done somewhat better, while Giants batters likely would have done better yet.

This season’s version of the Giants has some highly skewed variables considering the park factor; superlative starting and relief pitching; very good defense and fairly consistent embarrassment at the plate. What a mix!

4. Nipper said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:32 am

Yeah a nice sweep at home. I knew that A’s experience was an aberration. Now if only Ferretball can get out of the cellar! Sniff……

5. Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

any of you guys remember where you were 25 years ago today? This story from hardball times might jar your memory

• SanDawg said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

Great pull Flav! I’ll always love the Humm Baby, but he used to drive me crazy with constantly putting his fingerprints all over the game with hit and runs, pitchouts etc. That was crazy when we had Craig on one side of the bay and LaRussa on the other, both micromanaging the shit out of every game.
      I totally thought of Craig last night when Valentine said he liked to use the suicide squeeze on the first pitch. Humm Baby LIVED to use the suicide squeeze on the first pitch after a big play when everyone in the stadium was still buzzing from what had just happened.
      The Thrill going for 5 for 22 on steal attempts one year is another great fun fact!

• TedSpe said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

Good article

6. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

Speaking of Bummie . . .

7. Kevin said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:34 am

All cool facts. So I have been busy at home over the weekend. have not had time to go back and read all the comments on how convient it is that J Sanchez goes on the DL so Zito can pitch. The whole problem with this is that Zito might have a good to great game. I have seen this with him. He will pitch like he should be in the rotation and then his next 4 starts he is back to throwing batting practice. All I can say is please Jonathan get well soon!! It is nice to see that the young pitiching staff the G-men have all have the ability to bounce back after a bad start.

8. Kevin said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:36 am

oh and for non baseball news…nice to see Hugh Hefner bounce back from having his heart broken to find another 25 year old babe to hang out with.

9. zumie said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:03 am

Will, glad you’re liking the Aaron bio. I liked it a lot. I realized that I really didn’t know much about Aaron previously. And the author also does such a great job of providing insightful social context of each era of Aaron’s life.
    —–
    Some random thoughts about last night’s game….the broadcasters weren’t as good as they were a couple of weeks ago doing that other Giants game. They seemed to be off throughout the game, or as not into it, or whatever. They talked about the nooks and crannies on the rightfield wall, and had their groovy graphic numbering areas on the wall, talked about the potential for an inside-the-park homerun, setting things up perfectly for……a video clip of ICHIRO’S INSIDE-THE-PARK HOMERUN in the All-Star game! But…..nothing. They totally whiffed on it.
    And they spent all that time praising Cabrera, but wouldn’t criticize him for his lousy effort on stopping the catcher’s throw from going into centerfield. He made no effort, basically.
    Props to MadBum, obviously. That performance last night said BIG LEAGUES. That’s what it’s all about.
    And Affeldt was…..AWESOME. As Affeldt was mowing down batters, I got that magical playoff feeling again. 7 great innings from a starter, two great innings from the bullpen. Oh yes. I was feeling it.

10. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:04 am

Yes, Drrty’s rehab time is tied directly to how (in)effective Bubbles is. He’ll miss 2 turns at the least, so Zito’s leash is short. This could very well be the kick in the ass that Sanchez needs. I still think they should bring back RJ as his consultant. Shit, what the hell is sweet Lou doing for the team? Handing out plates at the buffett table?

• Nipper said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Chuck BLEEPS LOU!

11. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:09 am

Teams commonly call up a pitcher for one game, they have plenty of choices. It doesn’t have to be a prospect and often it’s a journeyman like Kown in Fresno or they could give Surkamp a taste…
    BTW, Kieschnick is tearing it up in Richmond after a terrible start,and Chris Dominguez was promoted to Richmond and promptly won Player of the Week in the Eastern League. Pequero also was promoted.

• Nipper said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Keep that pitching coming!

• stixwiz said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Twin: Thanx for the updates on Richmond. Did check out their site for individual stats and also their feature on Dominguez. Weird situation there. He hit pretty well at SJ but nothing spectacular. However, in that pitchers’ league in AA he is pounding that pill. Of his first dozen hits, a full ten have been of the EB variety. Good to see Kieschnick getting on track. His spring was glacial. Could be that the presence of Dominguez and Peguero as well as a RP or two has energized that otherwise turgid Richmond L.U. a bit. On the whole, their work at the plate had actually made that of the parent club look good by comparison.

Surkamp has all the earmarks of a dominant pitcher, what with ERA, WHIP and BB-K ratio all being well above just good. Whether he gets a cuppa coffee now, or maybe gets a September callup, he is definitely ahead of Wheeler as a developing talent. If the remainder of his season continues in his present vein, i could see SF upper management not being nervous about him replacing a current member of the rotation, probably by way of an off-season trade. Such a move might be still a bit of a gamble this year.

• unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Turgid, no less.

As General “Buck” Turgidson said: Mr. President, I’m not saying we wouldn’t get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks. . . .

12. xootsuit said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

I think it was Orel who tore apart Carmona’s delivery mid-game, showing how his front foot was landing six inches closer to 1B than it had been earlier in the game. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about when he said such “opening up” inevitably leads to arm trouble. Not exactly genius level insight. For years I’ve heard pitching coaches yell, “Stay sideways.” Still, ESPN did a good job showing video of Carmona’s front foot landing way off line. That segment provided the only moment during the game when I had any interest or respect for what any of those assholes had to say. (“Worst offense the major leagues,” repeated ad nauseam, really didn’t much move me. First place? I like that.)

• zumie said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:32 am

I have to admit that Valentine completely lost me on his “explanation” or “clarification” or whatever it was about a pitcher “staying on top of the ball.” Sometimes it’s hard for me to believe he was ever a manager.

• twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:35 am

It was almost as if Snarkk and Denny were calling the game..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:42 am

You wouldn’t get that on ESPN. A Snarkk and Denny broadcast would a Pay-Per-View Sat. Night Special.
        $59.95. Contact your local cable or dish provider for more details…

• unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Yeah, Valentine said, about 4 times, “He’s opening up his bottom side.”

My thought was: “Ewwwww.”

13. zumie said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:34 am

No Giants game today, or course, but a Rockies game and a D-Back game to check out. Cool.

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

It’s also 2 for 1 Whopper night at the Sheepshead Bay Burger King…

14. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:45 am

Let’s see: Schierholtz, Tejada, Huff, Whiteside, Rowand, Burrell are the players who have not been on the DL. Out are Posey, DeRosa, and Sanchez. Players who have been on the DL are Sandoval, Ross, Torres, Fontenot, Belt…you think that might have a little to do with their offensive woes? Yet they’re assured of having a better record than last year at the midway point, and they’re 1 1/2 up, not 4.5 down.

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Sounds like the baseball version of Michael Corleone telling Hyman Roth why the rebels can win.

15. zumie said, on June 27, 2011 at 11:52 am

Hall kind of grew on me last night. Scoring that run on great baserunning, but also the nice moment in the dugout talking about Bum missing the sign and swinging at the pitch on the squeeze play. Hall smiling and saying “Oh sh#t!” in the dugout. It was a great moment. And OK….I’ll give the broadcasters some credit- they caught that moment and had some fun with it.

• xootsuit said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I thought he was pretty good humored for a guy who had just found himself running full speed toward a free-swingiing bat he expected to be bunting

16. SanDawg said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Surprisingly, I didn’t mind the broadcasters so much last night. I enjoyed Valentine getting a dig in at LA fans for leaving early. He is an arrogant SOB, but it seems to me like he knows a hell of a lot about baseball.
    One of my brothers who is 13 years older than me, likes to remind me that the first baseball player’s name I ever uttered as a wee little kid was not Willie McCovey, Wilie Mays, or even my beloved Bobby Bonds. Instead it was “Bobby Valentine.” Very odd since I come from a family of Giants fans and he didn’t have much of a playing career. I think it’s because I always thought that was such cool name and we lived in San Luis Obispo, which then only aired and televised Dogger games.
    Pawlie and I chatted about this once before, but I was told that at one time the two best running backs in high school were OJ Simpson and Bobby Valentine. I think Pawlie and Bobby V are from the same town.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yes, Bobby Valentine is from Stamford, CT, where I was this weekend. No one I know regards him as arrogant. He is well liked. Tremendous football and baseball HS player. In HS, hit a HR more than 500 feet. Career really cut short by awful broken leg on OF play when w/ Angels.

Speaking of ex-managers, Riggleman’s resignation was burning up the airwaves and papers in DC. He pulled a Kokonuts. I’ve been there. Though Thomas Boswell in the WashPost made the interesting observation that no manager has a worse composite record in 12 years of managing.

17. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Their problem( the announcers) is the same as most; they have a hook for the game and won’t deviate from it. And Valentine announces just as he’s managed- like your brilliant but functionally incompetent Uncle Jimmy..

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

What was the hook for the Ice Bowl?

• twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Cold day in Green Bay. Gifford had the best line of his career when he said he was having a bite of coffee.

18. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Affeldt’s June:
    11 Games 13.1 IP 8 H 3 BB 17 K 0.68 ERA

• xootsuit said, on June 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Who was the idiot who gave him a lucrative contract?

19. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hall’s dugout moment was pretty funny. He peeled off about 12′ out of the baseline when he saw Bummie swing the bat.

Like when Krukow said, about once a month he wakes up screaming while he dodges that line drive coming right at him . . .

20. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Chuck Mercein never gets the accolades he deserves. That last drive didn’t start at the Cowboy one yard line.

21. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

The use of Mercein was very similar to Walsh utilizing Lenvil Elliott in the Cowboy game that culminated in
    “The Catch”. Neither guy had played much at all in the regular season- the great coaches wanted them for their reliability and wow did it pay off for both- Lenvil carried 4 times for 31 yards on that final drive, Chuck ran for just 20 yards and had 2 catches for 22-but almost all came on the final drive. Mercein is 68 and lives in White Plains, NY. Lenvil passsed away of a heart attack 3 years ago..
    lenvil
    chuck

22. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Reminds me of Carl Monroe. Caught the 1st TD in Super Bowl XIX.

23. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Carl was a tough little RB- died young. Valium OD that I believe was thought be accidental.

24. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, the dude partied pretty hard from what I heard. And saw. I ran into him and one of the other backup RBs (Harmon?) at a club where my roomate’s band was playing. That skivey place next to the old Hyatt Theatre in Millbrae. Had a good old time that night . . .

25. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm

My favorite RB was Leroy Kelly. Seems lost in history.

26. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Ken Willard as well . . .

27. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Delvin Williams was the guy I liked as a kid. At least on the Niners.

28. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Carl had a couple camps where he did well in the backfield but never really got a shot in the regular season..
    Favorites? Like everyone I liked Hofer, Delvin for sure, he and Wilbur were a pretty fair duo…

29. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Darren Ford is on the minor league 7-day DL. We can’t get anybody healthy. I see 6 balls left the yard today in Wrigley.
    Wind’s blowing out. Welcome back, Barry Zito.

• twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm

He wasn’t coming back up anyway. He wasn’t on rehab, he was optioned.

30. Sierra Nevada said, on June 27, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I had no idea that the Dodgers situation was so FUBAR. McCourt has really fucked that franchise. He has separated all sources of income from the Dodgers and made the team itself a sink for the debt incurred. I almost feel sorry for Dodgerfan:

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Juan Uribe shd/be wishing he’d taken the million less in SF.

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm

haha, totally. I bet if he knew that his 22 mil from the Dodgers wasn’t actually totally and completely guaranteed, he mighta taken the deal SF offered him………

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I’m curious to know how much oversight on these matters comes from Selig or the other owners. Are other owners doing this (diverting money to places that other owners can’t share?). Does anyone have to sign off on this? If not, I would assume the Dodgers aren’t the only team doing this. But if they ARE the only team doing this, how did McCourt get away with it?

31. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Zito’s comeback at Wrigley is about as promising as Albert Anastasia’s haircut at the Park Sheraton.

32. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:27 pm

What the wind did today at Wrigley has zero bearing on what it will do tomorrow.

33. Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I knew a dude once who tried to make a livin’ betting on the wind at Wrigley (wind out go over, wind in go under). He lost everything. The same dude decided to try to the same principle at Coors Field several years back. If there was high humidity he’d bet the under, low humidity he’d bet the over. He actual did all right with this angle for a while but eventually, you know, lost everything…….

34. Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Doesn’t look like the Dodgers are too preoccupied with the off the field stuff. They dropped 22 hits on the Twins tonight (and they’re still playing). Maybe someone told them that their paychecks were going to be contingent on actual production. Hey, that might not be a bad idea……

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Too bad for the Twins. They’ve waited 46 years for the “rematch”. They should’ve started Mudcat Grant…

• twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm

They had destroyed the Bums in interleague before this, so it wasn’t the “rematch”.

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Speaking again of my hometown (Stamford, CT; see earlier comment re Valentine), Andy Robustelli was from there, of the NY football Giants. Went to my church. Played CYO games w/ his boys. HOFer. A true gentleman till the very end. As a kid, I remember thinking how physically huge he was, though not by today’s standards.

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Ever hear of the “Stamford Stomper”, Tony Altimore?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

wasn’t Tony a “pro” wrestler? the sad part was, I’m pretty sure he lived in a nearby housing project (just drove by it; looks worse than ever; was never great), and when I discovered that as a kid I knew how pathetic pro wrestling was. If it’s the same guy, Loo, he was also a lifeguard at the summer beaches. Speaking of — anyone ever read Irwin Shaw’s “The Girls in Their Summer Dresses” classic short story. Back to baseball. And good night.

36. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Watching the AZ game- Indians take the lead in in the fifth and with runners on 1st and 3rd, Acta PH Hafner for pitcher Talbot. This fucking guy is 14-21 career with 4.8 plus ERA and he’s having a hissy fit over getting pulled..

37. willieD said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Short of resigning, I can’t imagine bud selig doing anything in the “best interests of baseball.”

38. Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm

using his best hitter in a PH role in the 5th? Sounds like something an AL manager would do in an interleague game.

39. willieD said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hard to imagine any rb topping what gale sayers did, in the rain, that day vs. Niners. They used to run the halfback option pass for him, and he stopped, faked the pass, and fucking ran it all the way in for a TD.
    Remember who fucked him up and ended his career?
    UCLA guy if I recall…

40. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm

1st and 3rd, chance to blow it open? It was fine. Not fine is a POS pitcher showing the manager up.Acta knows the NL, and he’s a good manager..

• twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm

But whether the strategy was correct is, of course, irrelevant.

41. Flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I’m not watching the game and don’t even know the circumstances. I just know that their best hitter is Hafner and he’s on the bench (cause he’s their DH). I watch AL managers go WAY too quickly to their best PH’s in inter league games. It happens all the time. Maybe the circumstances called for it this time, who knows…….

42. DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm

You’re right, Pawlie:

43. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm

The point is the fucktard having a hissy fit over it..
    For those of you looking for Reyes, there’s a lot more talk about Orlando Fucking Cabrera.. I’ll take Ed-Go…

• DJLoo said, on June 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Watch out for DeRosa if he comes back…

44. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I’d love to see it.

45. Big flavor said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

De rosa? Come on. That’s a fucking losing lottery ticket that’s been torn up and recycled back into lottery ticket paper. He can’t fucking swing a bat anymore– love the guy, seems like a swell teammate, but he cannot play baseball anymore…

• Nipper said, on June 28, 2011 at 2:21 am

sniff…..

46. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm

And “Orlando Fucking Cabrera” homers off Putz to give Cleveland the lead in the 9th

47. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

There are a lot of reasons that AZ will finish 3rd at best, Putz is 77 inches of it.

48. TedSpe said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I guarantee…Zito wins tomorrow.
    And then tanks for the rest of the season

49. TedSpe said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

BTW, the chubby brother on your right was Dean Martin’s inspiration and role model. If you think about it…it’s pretty obvious

• TedSpe said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Chubby brother. What an ass I am
      It’s Harry. Harry Mills.
      God bless him

50. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Some exciting stuff in the minors.I mentioned Dominguez earlier-promoted to Richmond, Eastern League player of the week, tonigfht a grand slam and 6 RBI.But maybe the best position player of all is Francisco Peguero, he’s now in Richmond as well. Those two, Hector Sanchez, Gary Brown, Kieschnick , these are GOOD prospects..

51. unca chuck said, on June 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Wasn’t it Kermit Alexander, WillieD?

• willieD said, on June 28, 2011 at 7:14 am

52. Sierra Nevada said, on June 28, 2011 at 12:17 am

Getting back to the question Flavor asked of “are other owners getting away with the same kind of arrangements?”, I would bet that the answer is yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that the league expects a team with attendance and revenue issues to do whatever it takes to stay afloat, and is happy to dole out revenue sharing to such teams as a way of keeping team values up and always on the rise.

But teams like the Yankees and Dodgers are expected to make money and be feeders of the revenue sharing system. So for them, the answer is No. The sin that McCourt has committed is he took a team that owned its own stadium and could be reasonably expected to be a profit center for the league in perpetuity, and turned it into a revenue sink. What McCourt has done has basically fucked the league’s basic economic model. You can bet that the other owners, particularly the ones that count on revenue sharing to fund their “lifestyle” are not going to be too keen on seeing that happen. Not to mention the players association – if the other cash cows of the league get hollowed out like the Dodgers have, the free agent market collapses, because there will be no “profitable teams” to spend lavishly on FA’s and the small market teams will have to live within their means, which means no big free agents for them at all.

The only question is, can McCourt take the league down with him? When betting on legal outcomes, the rule is “bet on the side that has the richest guys”. Normally that means that the rich guys who own the rest of the teams in MLB win the day. But McCourt has borrowed a lot of money from a lot of rich guys to fund his scheme, and they will be on his side if a league victory means they don’t get paid. If McCourts debt has reached “too big to fail” territory, the league is fucked.

53. […] And here is SN’s post. Thanks for doing my work for me today, dude. I could have discussed the irony of Zito and Voggy pitching today’s double header but most of it would have just been obvious observations: Sierra Nevada said, on June 28, 2011 at 12:17 am (Edit) […]