A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Gearing Up for Krukow’s *Zito Defense*

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 27, 2011

Kruk’s KNBR Show hits the airwaves in a little less than an hour (usually around 7:30). He’ll be in full Zito-Defense Mode. Here are my guesses for some of the sh!t he’s gonna throw against the wall:

1) Zito was pitching well out of the wind up, it was only when he went into the stretch that he had a problem

2) His WHIP was actually quite good, only giving up 6 hits and 2 walks in 7 innings

3) He only found out he was pitching 90 minutes before the game. We should be honoring his *gamership*, not condemning the results

4) The wind was blowing out

5) The Phillies LU is outstanding, they hit everybody

Well, those are my top 5 guesses. His analysis will probably include these 5 as well as 20-30 more. The real fact is this: Zito is poison to this team. He always puts our guys on their heels by giving up a 4 or 5 spot early on. This deflates the bats and gives the opposing pitcher a ton of free confidence to go after a LU that really needs all the help it can get to begin with…..

I hope Timmy feels better today…….

1. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:04 pm

If one pays attention, one would see that the figures for “OF”and for “RF” are identical. When a player has played more than one OF position, that is not the case. But I want fucking bucks if I’m going to be challenged on stone cold fact. 100 bucks .

2. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Why the differences in lgRFG, lgRF9, and lgFLD%?

A few putouts in different spots.

3. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Not identical, in other words.

• DJLoo said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

You’re overthinking it , Chuck. If you don’t see LF or CF in the POS column, then he never played it…

4. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Those figures hacve shit to do with his position- they stand for league range factor, range factor per 9 innings, etc. What a fucking clod.

5. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Why are the numbers different then?

Double switches.

• twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Chuckles, give it up, they have nothing to do with position. 100 bucks, 200 if you argue any more. The numbers are different because they’re different stats. Fucking DUH.

6. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

God save you.You can even put your cursor over them to see what they mean..

• DJLoo said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Would you ever consider passing up an opportunity to be condescending?

• unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm

All I’m saying is I coulda sworn Nate double switched to CF on a couple of occasions. Maybe 2 innings last year?

If he doesn’t make a play, would that show up as him playing CF? Hey, if it would, my bad. Sorry for my blatantly stupid error, Mike. Thank God yer here to be a major league cocksucker to set us straight.

Have a good night, fuckwad . . .

• twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Thev problem is that you were dead fucking wrong and acted right to the hilarious extent of thinking that a common fielding stat, RF/9 stood for “right field”.I’ll just say this one more time-as confirmed by BR and FanGraphs, Grok has never played a millisecond anywhere but RF in the majors. I’ll be more than happy to obtain further confirmation once a chalenger accepts the wager.

7. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hey Mike, blow it out yer parsimonious ass. The other fielding numbers are identical.

8. TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm

We talking Beltran?
    CF 1,563
    RF 94
    LF 3

• DJLoo said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

We’re talking Nate, Ted…

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Nevermind. I just got off a bus. Thanks, Loo

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

And thank God I weasely covered myself with a question mark after typing Beltran.

9. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Chuck is acting like he knows something and he’s fucking wrong. The fielding numbers that are identical are things that are identical-games played, put outs, etc. You simply don’t fucking understand that RF/9 is another stat. It doesn’t mean “right field”. Again, put your cursor over it, it TELLS you what is. Next, is another stat, RF/G. that’s “Range Factor Game’.. are you even beginning to get it?
    To answer another question, if he ever played CF or LF, they would be listed. Example: 2011 for Rowandx shows “OF” and also shows all the actual OF positions he has played, CF, LF, RF.. they add up to more than the OF total because of switches of which Chuckles spoke. Nate’s line is simpler- OF and RF are identical, as he has played nowhere else.

• unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Have a good night, fuckwad . . .

10. Billy said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Ouch… Ricky Weeks just turned his ankle into ground beef. It made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Hate that term but…know what you mean

11. xootsuit said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm

You guys are wrong. BR doesn’t track moves, only plays. If a manager moves a player from RF to LF and all he does is misplay foul pop ups, no record of his time in LF shows up in BR. Nate moved around in the OF, but not much, not much at all. BR doesn’t contradict our memory. You don’t understand its limitations.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm

“A man has got to know his limitations.”

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

And just before, Hal Holbrook blows up in his car

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:41 pm

And just prior…Hal Holbrook blows up in his car

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm

And prior to that, Hal Holbrook blows up in his car

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

And IMMEDIATELY after that, Hal Holbrook blows up in his car

• TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Sorry, kids. Just having fun. I typed it a couple times, it wouldn’t post, and got a message it had already been posted. So I decided to fuck with it.

12. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

That is simply not true, Put up your fucking money.Go to the game logs and box scores. He has NEVER played anywhere but RF. The box score WOULD show it. Find me one and I’ll pay yuu 100 bucks ( through Craig if you like) .

13. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm

BR lists all his innings played, down to the fraction of an inning. All are in RF.

14. TedSpe said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Gotsta go.
    Goodnight, gentlemen*(question mark)

*a gentlman is an individual who won’t hit a lady until he takes his hat off

15. DJLoo said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Xoot: Are you saying that BR would never have a “zero” in the “ch” (chance) column? Check out Darren Ford in 2010…

• xootsuit said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Maybe he had a related ab. You mechanical guys sort it out. Im sure your reliance on the br spreadsheet is naive. You need to run this down.

• twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Xoot knows he has no case– there is no ambiguity in the figures. Nate has never played anywhere but RF in the bigs. Now he’s trying some preposterous but totally unprovable claim that perhaps Nate moved to left but a rainstorm intervened as a fly ball descended, causing the umpires to call the game before the ball could be caught by Nate, wiping out all record of his time in left…and his memory of it, as he was conked by the falling missile…

16. xootsuit said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I know what br says. The fractions are not conclusive .. . If a tree doesn’t fall in the forest does the tree exist.

• twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

It is totally conclusive. It’s now up to you to find any evidence that refutes it. A box score will do. Drop it,you know as well as I do that you cannot support your position.

17. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Can’t help but wonder what Unca_Goober thought lgFLD%? meant?
    i’m sure it’s hilarious.

• unca chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Got to hang yer hat on something, eh Mike?

If this is it, hey, ya got me, skippy.

• unca chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Yeah, I probably should Mike. But hey, I thought he double switched maybe a coupe times last year. The numbers? Fuck the numbers.

Laugh it up as you must, but Jesus, can you lay it on any thicker? Over something as arcane?

• DJLoo said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Left Game For Lousy Defense?

• twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Chuckles, you should just know better than to challenge me on stuff like this. Predictions are fair game, you undoubtedly have me on quite a few- you had no chance here, though.

• unca chuck said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:22 pm

• twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Chuckles, there never should have been a dicussion. It’s just not arguable. I’m totally amenable to being proven wrong but it just can’t be done on this. No one will EVER find a shred of evidence that Nate has played anywhere but RF in the majors. I’m willing to pony up if they do. It will never happen because he hasn’t.
        Tell you what- ask him. Not Spring Training. Regular season. Ask him. I ‘m sure you cn figure out a way
        to do that.
        BTW- Comcast is now saying they were wrong about Belt and Burrell. No roster moves have been decided on.

18. xootsuit said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm

No the budens not on me. Its on you to prove that the stats you rely on cover a 9th inning move in the of that doesn’t result in a stat or an. You can’t. It never occurred to you. Now that you know deal with ut.

19. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:18 pm

“No the budens not on me. Its on you to prove that the stats you rely on cover a 9th inning move in the of that doesn’t result in a stat or an. ” Stop drinking now. God, that’s awful
    No, you have to show that BR is wrong. But really-go to bed, that was pathetic.
    I have shown that BR says he has never played anywhere but RF. If you dispute that, you must show that he did.You know that. BR uses the box scores. They HAVE the box scores. If he ever played in CF or LF it is reflected in the box score. It doesn’t have shit to do with whether he had a chance in field.

• Nipper said, on July 28, 2011 at 4:01 am

Twin involved in an argument? You guys never stop. “Stop drinking now. God, that’s awful….” is a great line for a blog.

20. DJLoo said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Xoot: I think this game would convince you. In the 8th inning, Darren Ford replaced Jose Guillen in the outfield. He was not in the game in any capacity (pinch runner, etc.) prior to that. BR does list his appearance in CF although he he did not have any chances:

21. twinfan1 said, on July 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Xoot will never admit he’s wrong.

• Nipper said, on July 28, 2011 at 4:03 am

On the Splash, Xoot is always right.

22. Orbofwisdom said, on July 27, 2011 at 11:53 pm

wow, a whole pg of sanctimony after a good win by the boys in orange and black.
    hope Carlos feels welcomed.

23. Nipper said, on July 28, 2011 at 4:08 am

Hello Carlos! RF is yours! What number do you want? You got it! Go Carlos!