The Cabrera Pick Up

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 31, 2011

There are an awful lot of Cabrera’s out there and this one is probably my least favorite. Forget his stats, they are underwhelming across the board. And besides his magical run with the Red Sox in 2004,  his post season stats are better left unspoken as well….

My question about this suspect pick up is rooted squarely in superstition. As many of you know, he and Edgar Renteria despise each other. When you read the verbal attacks it’s actually difficult to see who is telling the truth and who is lying–could be a mixture of both. But the fact is, our great World Series hero Edgar Renteria loathes this guy and that alone should be enough for the Karma Alarm to be going off loudly. You guys can google the Renteria/Cabrera feud, it’s long standing and easy to find on google……

I don’t care about what we gave up. Neal isn’t going to do anything at this level. But I DO care about acquiring a guy who makes Tejada, Crawford and Fontenot all look like better alternatives.

Bad trade. Dumb trade. And if Sabean was trying to rattle the cage of the post season God’s, he has done so……..

And if Sabean has one more deal left in him can it please be for a catcher? I can live with Torres the rest of the year in CF but we can’t go into the post season with “Stew-Side” behind the dish……

1. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Loo/Flav, I actually like a price in the Haskell — J J’s Lucky Train. So you can pull the Jay Trotter and cross him off your program…

2. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 31, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Coco Crisp 2 fer 3 w/ 1 R 1 RBI and 3 SBs thru the first 5 innings…yeah, but Billy Beane is a douche…

3. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2011 at 3:49 pm

If they had dumped Torres for Crisp, I’d root for the Douchebacks.

4. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Fans who grew up around the time I did probably develop more attachment to players than younger people. They stayed with your team longer than today. I think of most Giants as “good Giants” and follow their careers after they leave, root for them to do well. I don’t long for those days of indentured servitude but my allegiance to favorite players has not changed even as the game has,..

• willieD said, on July 31, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Gotta admit, as a kid I liked the Reds a lot, and was crushed when they traded Frank robinson. I wasn’t big on any AL teams, but it was cool to watch him dominate for the O’s and win a series. Tough customer, ultimate competitor.

• mailorderwife said, on July 31, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I was absolutely crushed when the Giants got rid of Chris Speier and Willie McCovey, and wrote a little nasty poem when Ted Kawalick left the 49ers. No telling just how I’d react if Timmy, Cainer or Buster were to leave. I have this sort of idyllic, yet quite baseball unrealistic, fantasy that each player from our 2010 WS championship team will ride off into the San Francisco sunset. Except Zito.

• twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2011 at 6:09 pm

After a wait of 50+ years, the men who made last year happen should have “immunity for the next challenge.”
        Edgar, Juan, Travis, the others who have moved on–Huff, Pat, Andres, the others who have fallen back, they all should have a place where they are remembered only for what they did for a city and it’s baseball fans- as they did what only a true team can do- win our hearts as men, not just baseball players.

5. Flavor said, on July 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I was super attached to players growing up, too. When Montana left for KC I was devastated. Over the years though, so many players move on, I just got conditioned to not really give a shit anymore. Fantasy sports probably contributed to this as well.

6. DJLoo said, on July 31, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Are you guys familiar with the story of longtime, beloved NY Ranger goalie Eddie Giacomin who came back to MSG as a Detroit Red Wing a couple of days after being waived by the Rangers?

7. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2011 at 5:00 pm

As a kid, other than Clemente, my favorites were rarely the stars, The O’Brien twins, Dick Stuart of course, catcher Toby Atwell, little used Johnny Powers… I loved all those guys. I’ve lost all my work on the Dick Stuart novella I worked on for years. I had it on paper, a USB drive, and a former C drive. I lost them all…I’ll not start again,it will be consigned to memory..

8. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2011 at 5:17 pm

It wasn’t just about Dick, although it began when he attended my 10th birthday party. The book ended with my father’s last live announcing work- doing high school football as a favor for a friend in Billings, Montana… for 55 dollars a week- what he made when he started in the business in the 1930’s. He had hoped to purchase a cabin on the river- he wanted to go whiie fly fishing with his dog…I found a photo of such an outing, it was on the wall by his bed when he passed away.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 31, 2011 at 7:25 pm

that’s a story right there…write it as a memoir piece instead of fiction

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I’m with Twin on the 2010 WS team. No matter where they go or what they do, I reserve a spot in my heart — and give them more leeway, even if they falter or act foolishly or with hostility. They did it. They get a free pass.

Maybe it is my paltry faith, my doomer inclinations, but I scratch my head at how I was all swagger after we took 2 of 3 from the Phrilllies and now I’m virtually on suicide watch, on the ledge, after losing 3 to the Reds. How quick a change! I have to remember it is a very long season. Last year, August was fairly awful, and we STILL prevailed to bask.

I won’t deny it. I’m gloomy right now, but I could be bipolar opposite by week’s end…or in the psych ward.

• oldsealsfan said, on July 31, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Don’t worry, Paulie. You’re just a true, sincere Giants’ fan.

Congrats.

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 31, 2011 at 7:23 pm

A former colleague of mine, a newspaper guy, ardent Phils fan, still puts his money on SF. (BTW, Phils fans outdo the doomerest of doomers, regarding their own team, at least longtime fans.) Calls our pitcher Barry Zero.

11. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Paul: it was fiction only in that some was imagined- Dad’s early years, a visit with Stuart after his death.. it mostly was a memoir. The road trip with the Twins, life and death on the Bassac River, the day my NHL was diagnosed, and the stops and women in between. I’m sure to have sold myself a copy 😉
    Night all.

12. ewisco said, on July 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Gentlemen, if you thought it was going to be easy, you weren’t paying attention. and as i know you were paying attention, it’s interesting to see the dooming. once again: stay around .500, stay close to the leaders, turn it on at some point in august/september and hit the playoffs having played close, critical games.

The vigil continues.

13. TedSpe said, on July 31, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I applaud you all.
    I no longer have the stomach to watch a Zito start.
    Nor can I read his “excuses” or anyone else’s following one of his starts.
    twin? I’d buy that book