A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Remembering Darryl Strawberry……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 12, 2011

Do most of you guys remember the year he played for us? It wasn’t really a *year*. He signed with us in June of ’94, had 113 plate appearances, hit 4 bombs; played kind of a non-descript right field. While I remember him being on the team, I can’t quite see him taking a swing or doing anything of importance. It’s been 16 years and it’s just sort of a random, hazy memory of an ex-player. And in the year 2027 this is the same way I will likely be remembering Carlos Beltran, minus the 4 bombs of course……

I can’t stand playing Florida. Especially in their weird, empty yard. Nolasco goes for them tonight and he is a complete coin flip on who shows up to pitch— the ultra talented stud or the batting practice machine. In his last 2 starts, he’s given up 22 hits and only 3 runs. On July 20th he did a *Bumgarner*, going 1.1 innings/9ER. He nearly threw a complete game against us back in May and then his next start he gave up 15 hits. Think about how hard it is to be left in a game long enough to give up 15 hits all by yourself…..Not a lot of his pitches miss bats and he’s usually right around the strike zone. Florida is reeling and going nowhere this year. And they apparently leave Nolasco out there to get hammered if he’s not having a very good game. This is one of those rare games where I hope the team comes out swinging out of their shoes—drop 10-15 hits on this chump and start the roadie off right…….

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings

(Tizzle and I are going Ali/Frazier on each other and Berra’s Bombers has quietly slipped into 11th place, a masterful showing considering his start to the season)

1. big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

everything they did this 9th inning was fine. Pablo got a hit. Huff worked the count and just missed one off the end of the bat. Ross crushed one. Cabrera? Well, the other guys did what they needed to do, at least in terms of how they hit and how they worked the count. You can’t worry about what happens after you hit a ball hard…….

2. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Looks like another day for Arizona staying in 1st place, and A*** S**** quarterbacking the Niners.

My life is one living hell.

• Kevin said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Ha ha, Dennis, Dennis relax, it was a pre season game. But yeah, I could smell the stink all the way back here in Sacramento

3. Kevin said, on August 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Wow, The Giants are ending a lot of losing streaks. this just sucks.

4. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Houston could play a huge part in the Giants getting to the playoffs…The Dbacs are done with Houston…We have seven left with the Stros including 4 in SF…Anything less than 5 wins will be disasterous.

5. big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm

and the ‘stros just aren’t that good. They don’t have a pitcher who scares me and with Pence gone they’ve got no hitting either. Wilco, what’s the take in Houston on this kid Martinez? Is it just “look and see” or is there genuine excitement about this kid?

• wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm

JD Martinez was considered one of the Astros top 5 or 6 prospects, but that’s not saying much…He is off to a Fred Lewis type start, so it’s a little premature to get too excited…Everyone in Houston is waiting for the Texans season to start…Most probably have no idea who he is.

6. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I am considering buying a Giants jersey for the first time since I was eleven…My goal next weekend is to pay no more than $10 for a ticket and move down to as close to the Giants dugout as possible…I figure being in full Giants gear will increase my chances of trying to sneak down next to those bandwagon San Francisco transplants that pay like $200 to sit in the first row.

• big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm

take some pics!

7. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm

They have 7 or 8 with AZ too. Don’t worry about it. Birthin’ Denny was just about into his final swan dive last year right about this time.

• wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Astros are done with Arizona…Thus the importance that the Giants take advantage of it…Dbacks announcers just stated that Wandy Rodriguez of the Astros may be joining them via waiver trade…If so, that’s a helluva pickup for the Dbacks.

• twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I meant that the Giants have several with AZ.

• big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Wandy would be a good pick up. He’s a little like Nolasco though. But he’s definitely a good pick up for the stretch drive if he’s healthy……

8. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm

The Giants offense is almost as inept as the 49ers offense is with A*** S**** at quarterback.

Almost.

9. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Both 1st team QBs were ineffective- in the Niner’s case, mainly due to the OL. I wouldn’t freak, it’s the first preseason game. You freak out for all of us, Denny

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm

It’s not his fault?

Of course not…

10. snarkk said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Wish the Giants would win one just to break up the monotony…

11. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Here’s how bad the Astros are…The cover story of their May ballpark program was Bill Hall….The headline was “Resurrection Time.”

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Fun game seeing Chiefs of Syracuse beat the Yankees of Scranton-Wilkes Barre, 7-4. Yanks’ RF has a rocket arm. Sat right at the RF fence next to the cocky Yank pitchers warming up, on-field. 12,700+, something like 7th largest crowd ever, and that’s w/o Strasburg, who is rumored to be coming back next Wednesday. Friends bought tix today. Then driving home I hear the Giants are down 2-1 in the 9th. Then I find out The Rest of the Story (and Paul Harvey was a douche but he did have a brand).

13. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm

That being said, I think it was Twin who suggested they DFA Fontenot and bring up Hall…I would agree with that…Hall at least gives you the chance for the long ball

• twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Mike isn’t hitting for average, pop is gone, and playing poor defense. Like Joe reiterated, Bill at least might pop a couple off the bench,

14. big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Gawd, freaking out about the Niners first pre-season game? That’s rich. Half these guys don’t know which way to run yet. I was actually quite impressed that the D stayed with the Saint’s O as well as they did—good team speed we kept up with.
    I like this new announcer who looks like Dan Fouts 25 years ago— good voice, good timing, good color.
    I am not going to say a single bad thing about the Niners until Week 4. That’s when I’ll feel like J-Harb has gotten his fingers into this pie…..
    I’m not working this week, I went on a run through Stanford around mid day. I ran past the Cardinal working out, there was a lot of the typical coaching going on but nothing like the practices that I watched Harbaugh et al conduct and I did watch a lot of them. There’s a huge sign at the practice field that Harbaugh put up when he got there, and it still stands: “You are either getting better or you are getting worse. You never stay the same”
    I love that slogan…..

15. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

They have to ditch DeRosa…I just remembered he was on the roster…What has he had, 3 PA since being called up?

16. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Who is the new Niner announcer?

• big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I don’t know. I didn’t even know who he was when they introduced him. He’s not replacing Plummer, that’s radio. Eric Davis got that gig, I think. I always felt like Gary Plummer was a fantastic straight-forward color guy. But he got caught up in some behinds the scene shit.
      This new guy is just, I think, another b-room voice for CBS. But he’s not going to be b-room for long….

17. big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm

wow, how out of it am I? Is DeRosa on the current roster and available? I didn’t realize he had been called up. Either way, he must just be around for his gamer-shit. He can’t hit swing a bat anymore much less connect with a mlb pitch……..

• snarkk said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Don’t forget now, he’s great in the clubhouse…

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm

The 49ers have scored 3 pts. through three quarters.

I thought Singletary was gone. I thought we had a new offensive HC who was gonna turn our ship around? Jim Harbaugh, didn’t he used to play?
    Oh yes he did, and he at times, played well. Having a QB play well. Hmmm? Play well.

Played well…
    Played well…
    Played well…

• big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Dennis the fact that you are on the ledge after the first pre-season game is a fabulous sign for the future. And I have to tell you, saying “Go Niners!” and then excluding your support for Smith in the same post makes no sense at all. You want them to win but you’re against their starting QB succeeding? Go back and re-check the *projection* definition. I’m disappointed that you’re focusing so much hate on something that you love. Why don’t you try sitting back and watching the pre-season without all your usual general angst and look for something positive to happen.The Niners haven’t had a coach like this in a decade or more, you might be wise to give him more than a first pre-season game before you toss in the towel…….

19. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:47 pm

49er QB situation?

• wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I literally can recite nearly every line from that movie…How Robert Shaw wasn’t nominated for best supporting actor is a fucking joke.

20. Nipper said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Too soon to cry about anything. Okay if it makes you feel better sniff a bit just keep it quiet.

21. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I am still pissed my wife wouldnt let me name our first born Quint.

22. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

It would be criminal to throw “Kappy” in as the starter. If Smith were to fail, they’ll need to pick up a vet. But like Flavor said, it’s insane to be making judgements based on the first preseason game, especially THIS year.

• big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm

The Niners writer took the KNBR slot this pm (Lynch?) and he fielded a hundred calls that were hating on Smith and wanting Kappy to be the starter. Ha, Kappy has no idea what the fuck he’s doing. He can run, but that’s it. He couldn’t read a defense if they stopped every 2 seconds and said “Got it now?”
      This is Kappy’s year to sit back and learn. Smith will be fine once he gets to work with the offense and J-Harb. Rooting against it is idiotic. Kappy would be an infinitely worse option than Smith this year. So if you want to see the Niners lose all their games, root for that………

23. big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm

What’d ya end up naming him

• wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Jack…Our second one is due in 4 weeks…Still no name yet.

• big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

excellent. My sister’s first son is named Jack. “Jack Scanland”–still sounds like a PI to me. Good luck next month, you sound like a kick ass family man.,……

• DJLoo said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm

May I suggest “Toy Cannon”?

24. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Tim Ryan makes huge sense-the bloggers are going to HATE him. Big time.

• Big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Thanks, “tim Ryan” that’s his name. He was awesome.

25. DJLoo said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Speaking of solo homers, CC gave up 5 of ’em tonight…

26. willieD said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Last time SF romped and scored more than a couple,if I remember correctly, was Deadhead night at the ATT, right? So…in the interests of “aroma”-therapy, how about the boys get fired up over a team meeting in tim’s room?
    Guy I used to play ball with at work during lunch/after hours and I used to enjoy a pre-game toke . He used to ask me, “Hey will, got the warm-up?”

27. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm

How the fuck did we get him back? Scott “Heavy Sink” Munter is back at Fresno..

• DJLoo said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Who’s next, Taschner?

28. snarkk said, on August 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I’d say we’re nearing crisis time with this hitting. Lose this series against this lame ass Marlin squad and the Giants definitely will be in a dead on crisis, heading into Hotlanta, especially if the Dbacks go up a coupla 3 games. They need to do something fairly radical. DL a coupla starters, bring up Belt and anybody else. Something. Panda hitting and nobody else isn’t going to feed the bulldog. Carrying DeRosa on board for no playing time or PAs in the middle of this pestilence is a mindbending joke, it is utter nonsense…

29. snarkk said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm

The Giants starters are rumored to be asking Jeff Gillooly to do some special work on the SF hitters…

• twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Enough of that shit- the Gillooly bit was old three years ago. Room Bermuda has moved on- failure means the firing squad now. Denny raised ( lowered? ) the bar.

30. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm

It’s always crisis time, isn’t it?..but I agree some moves have to be made. They need to make a DL decision on Beltran, even the dimmest bulb should understand it’s not an easy decision.God, please tell me I don’t have to explain that..
    I’d DFA Font, say a sad farewell to DeRosa: Belt and Hall up
    If Beltran is DLed, add Pill
    This all presumes one of Doomin’ Denny’s “outside moves” isn’t made.

• DJLoo said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Sounds good to me. And send Mr. Chicago to Houston for Carlos Lee. It’s also time to experiment in the lead-off slot. Hall, Kepp, Cabrera, Ross, Lincecum, anybody!!!

31. snarkk said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Pretty bad when you’re looking to Bill Hall to help out.
    But, at least he might run into one every now and then.
    Giants desperately need a power surge…

32. DJLoo said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I almost miss Tejada.

33. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Weird game. Torres made the play that could/should have led to two runs- and looked awful taking the hat trick. They ain’t got a lead off hitter. Maybe Ross. I miss Andres already- easily my favorite Giant in years.

34. Big flavor said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I think we saw the limits of bill hall already.

35. snarkk said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm

The bad thing is this team is now just boring. This isn’t “torture” like last year. It’s boring ass baseball watching these guys constantly flail, hack, pop up, hit DP grounders, and strike out. The staff’s usual quality pitching performance is the only saving grace…

36. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Guess whose tearing it up in Fresno? Brandon Crawford…I really wish the Giants would not allow their prospects to play above AA….AAA has become an absolute joke…Belt and Crawford should both be in Richmond, playing against real minor league prospects.

• twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Except Belt is sucking it up in Fresno. Crawford hit like .250 in two seasons in AA. Belt destroyed it. Moral: what the fuck does anybody know?

• wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Very true.

37. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Well, I don’t think they brought him back to fill a Fresno roster spot. At some point, he’ll be back, IMO

38. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

This years team feels much more like the 2009 club than the 2010 one…I guess were missing the “magic inside.”

39. wilcojoe said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm

That being said, went Posey went down, I thought we were toast…Considering all the injuries that we have endured, we should feel pretty fortunate to be where we are.

40. DJLoo said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Together Were Vaginas.

• twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm

A bunch of cunts…
      A few years ago I took a lady friend, a doctor no less, to a Judy Chicago exhibit. We were driving home and something dawned on her— ” those were all twats, weren’t they?”

41. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm

There as no magic last year until, well, until there was magic. As I posted earlier, at the end of August they were 4 out and nobody was talking magic- the pitching, heaven forbid, had sucked for a month and there was no reason to expect better,,
    The ledge was full..I called for the nets…

42. willieD said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Can’t SF block the Bax from making a waiver deal (ala Wandy), at least until we get the lead back?

43. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

2 of 7 fer 10 yds.

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning…” Unfortunately the 49er QB has no goddamn idea what victory smells like.

44. ewisco said, on August 12, 2011 at 10:13 pm

boys, boys, boys. they play 162 games. we’re not there yet. remove the finger from the panic button. it only LOOKS grim. well, it might actually be grim but we won’t know until sometime in September. that’s still a few weeks away.

I did like the point about how it’s not really “torture” this year, but when you think about it, yes it is.

45. twinfan1 said, on August 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm

He’s fortunate he wasn’t killed…
    BTW, just 9 more majors (90 years) for Jiggles to catch Tiger. More and more, when I see “Lefty”, I see John Edwards…

46. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 9:59 am

Pretty funny line from Henry:
    “2 of Lauderdale’s hottest women just eyed me. Then their caregivers came by and told me to shove off”
    He also notes that if Beltran is DLed, they probably couldn’t get Belt here before the Atlanta series…
    Felipe Alou says that Gary Brown could play in the bigs now…
    Since the AS Break for LPP Pablo Sandoval: ,337 BA .382 OB .953 OPS 6 HR in 98 AB…for the year, he’s once again the top sluging 3B in the Majors- leading in Slugging percentage and OPS, 2nd in BA…
    If Beltran can stay off the DL and get untracked, Carlos will be a worthy second to complement Sandoval…