A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Dead Men Continue Walking

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 13, 2011

Not much of a thread today. It’s tough to muster up different ways to call something ugly. Pathetic. Worthless. Feeble. Impotent. I’m numb too it. Ricky “Batting Practice” Nolasco shut us down. Vasquez goes tonight and he’s actually pitching pretty well this year.

If you are Jack McKeon don’t you just walk Pablo every single time?

At this point, I don’t give a rip about the number of runs we score. 1-0? 2-1? Fine. We need wins badly no matter how many runs  they can dribble out of hose that’s tied in about 4 knots right now……..

1. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

Pretty funny line from Henry:
    “2 of Lauderdale’s hottest women just eyed me. Then their caregivers came by and told me to shove off”
    He also notes that if Beltran is DLed, they probably couldn’t get Belt here before the Atlanta series…
    Felipe Alou says that Gary Brown could play in the bigs now…
    Since the AS Break for LPP Pablo Sandoval: ,337 BA .382 OB .953 OPS 6 HR in 98 AB…for the year, he’s once again the top sluging 3B in the Majors- leading in Slugging percentage and OPS, 2nd in BA…
    If Beltran can stay off the DL and get untracked, Carlos will be a worthy second to complement Sandoval…

2. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

I would like to see Brown’s numbers in RIchmond first, but yeah, why the hell not? He’s worthy of a Sept call up at the very least.

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

Seldom do I agree with the inevitably and drastically wrongo “it can’t be worse”, but with Nate going deja vu all over again, Torres delighting Loo…an OF with Belt, Brown, and ( dare we pray?) Beltran… probably could not be worse than we’re getting now. Very very unlikely that we do see Brown but Belt is becoming a must whether Carlos hits the DL or not- Nice to see he broke out of his slump last nightr, BTW.

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:37 am

Twin getting soft?

3. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:18 am

Those Sept call-ups could play a huge role btw…I don’t expect shit from the Pill’s, Gillaspies(sic),Ford’s longterm, but they could provide the right amount of energy the club needs to get past the Dbacks.

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:38 am

Good idea!

4. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:39 am

Henry just reported that Belt is on his way to Miami at this very moment.
    Beltran to the DL I’d imagine.

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

Which he followed up with:
      “Belt’s activation is not 100 percent certain. I’m told probably, tho.”

5. zumie said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

Your Darryl Strawberry title made me do a double-take. I thought maybe he’d passed away and I missed it in the news.

• wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

Several of us did as well…I told the story yesterday of my iphone freezing up and is all I saw was Flav’s headline…I asked several folks if they heard about his passing…No one did, but no one was surprised either…Got a lot of, “Doesnt surprise me, he lived a tough life” and of course “He must have od’d.”

6. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

Belt = career management by Wham-O…

7. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

BTW. Schulman reported also that Peguero at Richmond has 3 walks in 190 ABs.
    Meet the new hitters, same as the old hitters…

8. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:59 am

Patient hitters are born. The hitting instructor inevitably gets the heat- by the idiots. Of course, it’s also a fallacy that “see ball, hit ball” is necessarily a negative.

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

Snarkk doesn’t buy it.

9. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:03 am

4 knots is enough wind ( 206 centimeters/second) to almost waggle your flag
    These times are nothing new to long term SFGs fans nd as the drama (torture, boredom, lack of) gets set
    we remember that this is our team win or lose that all things must end, when the time is right, and with the spirited response that Bochy has been holding back (playing close to the vest). this team is fine tuning its entry into post season play

10. stixwiz said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

If Belt does indeed get the call and is on his way to play ~ let him play ~ every day.

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

He was not brought up to play everyday before, like it or not. This time he would be. But don’t go Room Belize on us if he gets an occasional day off against a tough lefty.And he is not replacing Huff, who BTW did not strike out 3 times last night.

• stixwiz said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Sagging memory glands on the K’s last night, which belonged to Torres, who looks cooked. Sad. At this point maybe Brown could do as well.

11. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

Waste of vittles.

12. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:19 am

13. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

Henry says Beltran to DL is not certain but Belt is indeed on the way to Miami,
    “It was not immediately clear if Carlos Beltran is going on the disabled list.The Giants were hoping to wait until later today to see how Beltran’s hand felt before making that decision. However, logistics are a problem. It’s not that easy to get to Miami from Fresno. With a night game today and a day game tomorrow (and throw in the time difference), the club either had to fly Belt to Miami now or wait to activate him until Monday night in Atlanta.”

14. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

I think someone needs to remind Sabean and Bochy that DeRosa is on the roster.

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

who?

• snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:34 am

They know he’s there — that’s why he’s not playing.

15. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

Bochy ultimately decides who plays.I don’t think he needs reminding of a goddamn thing.

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

Maybe he’s waiting for Belt to get back so he can piss off the bloggers and sit Brandon for DeRosa…

16. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

so now there is excitement
    Go Gigantes!

17. blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:35 am

“Didn’t Sabean have a closed door meeting around this time last year with the pitching staff? If I recall, it was when the starters were going thru a cold spell (especially TImmy) and they seemed to turn things around rather quickly…I say he needs to do the same thing with the offense.”

and . . .

“As several of the Room Bikini regulars have noted, the only thing the team lacks is a good ole spread flip by Bochy..”

or . . .

I like what happened when the rambunctious drillers in the movie Armageddon were allowed to have ONE last night on the town before blasting off, especially Steve Buscemi as “Rockhound,” who went to a strip club and then got layed by a couple of strippers. In short, never let anyone tell you that sex is bad before performing in Sports.

• blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

Pat Burrell should be in charge of the festivities 🙂

18. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:40 am

This time, Baggs and his 165 fill ins are out of the loop. Get with it. Or maybe one of the commenters ate them.

19. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:46 am

Went to the fortune teller
    To have my fortune read
    I didn’t know what to tell her
    I had a dizzy feeling in my head

Said she’d take a look at my palm
    She said “Son, you feel kinda warm”
    And she looked into her crystal ball
    And Said “You’re confused, how can this team win?”

I told her we been here before, the team has a way
    she asked me to tell her true, I answered like a fan

the way must be through toll
    when 2 outa 3 in Phillie is the way we roll

20. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

Torres CF
    Keppinger 2b
    Sandoval 3B
    DeRosa LF
    Ross RF
    Huff 1B
    Cabrera SS
    Stewart C
    Lincecum P

The lineup and the way it would be if Bob and Gloria DeRosa had their way…

21. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Tales have it MDR is now a contact hitter, let us pray

22. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm

BTW my FL team has been doing well with CBeltran, I have had him since the draft, until he was traded to SF.

23. stixwiz said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Ever see a yo-yo belt? How bout anybody belting a yo-yo? Maybe Wilson could donate his spandex tux to the kid. Rated as the 13th top prospect among baseball’s 50 best, this 2009 draftee must have moments of wondering why the hell he signed with the Giants. I mean with an OBP in The Show in the .320’s, he’s not coming back as some kinda toadbait. Bochy is a master of the bullpen, but when it comes to non-veteran position players~~~ i just hope that higher ups in the organization have had a little talk with him. Depending on their psyches, young players can really get messed up being jacked around all that much.

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I don’t see Belt being jacked, except on the opening day roster. He needs to be here one day at a time. One day his stomach will settle.

24. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Total bullshit-if he can hit, he’ll hit. If he can’t, he won’t. As Room Berliner says: end of story.

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

It’s Torres, not Beltran who hits the DL. Lower rt. leg contusion. Didn’t see that one coming.

• DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Dennis: Watch the board on firster Midnight Run (#4) in the 7th @ Saratoga. Might be live. Might not…

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Not terrribly shocking, however…
      It’s a good thing that Belt has some plate discipline, but they’re looking for a little more than a .333 slugging percentage from him. Ross has started getting some better ABs, Belt/Ross/Beltran when Carlos is ready? Whither Mr. MVP? Can he play center?
      Henry says he saw Torres faking a limp last night, BTW.. ( that’s for the Grassy Knoll crew)

26. DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I vote for Cabrera to get first crack at the leadoff slot…

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm

After Pablo, highest OBP is Ross.Why not? He has a bit of speed and pop and his OBP is 40 some points over Rowand’s and 70 or so over Cabrera (SF figure ),

27. Wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

How can Torres be going on the dl if he’s In the LU?

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

It was a joke, you know… Mark’s parents have him batting in the 4. As at least 6 women and many here can tell you, I’m a rotten bastard.

28. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:40 pm

You mean the Bob and Gloria DeRosa approved one? With Mark at clean up? Joe, you wanna buy some fine Everglades real estate?

• Wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I think I liked your LU better.

29. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

A DeRosa sighting! Let’s see if he can drive anything today.
    Baggarly to Lurie on KNBR — Bochy has said DeRosa is on the 25 mainly for PHing late against LHs.
    Wow…

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

You get your wish with Ross at the top.

LF Ross
    2B Keppinger
    3B Sandoval
    1B Huff
    RF Nate
    SS Cabrera
    CF Rowand
    C Stewart
    P Lincecum

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm

It wasn’t a “wish”, Birthin’ Denny. It was an educated guess, based on the numbers and common sense, as to who would get the spot. My “wish” was actually Andrew McCutcheon.

31. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Torres with 3 Ks last night, circling the drain lately, suddenly has a bad leg from a foul, to the DL.
    OK, I’ll buy it…

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm

As I said, he was seen clearly faking a limp…

32. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm

If they DL Beltran later today or tomorrow, they’ll have to bring up an OFer. Why not Brown? We’ve seen the Burriss/Ford stuff. They can’t hit. With Torres out now for a dozen games, this team has no speed…

33. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’ll go out on a long, thin limb and predict Gamer gets an HR tonite, even though he’s going against the RHer Vasquez. He breaks the solo HR streak, to boot…

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Snarkk is hopeful! All is not lost.

34. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm

What happens in miami stays in miami?
    gamer with the big fly
    who hoo

35. DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

If you went strictly by the stories and recollections of announcers and players of his era, you would think Bob Gibson plunked or knocked down every single batter he ever faced. I’m a little sick of hearing this BS…

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Loo tired of BS! News at Eleven!

36. zumie said, on August 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I’m tired. I was out late last night. I saw Jesse Sykes and her band, and also the Sadies, at the Great American Music Hall. We were listening to the Giants game on the radio on the way into SF. I’ve got to give Miller and Fleming credit for making an interesting broadcast out of what was probably otherwise a dull and lackluster game.

37. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Zumie, you going to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival this year? That lineup is off the charts…Mind-blowing how such a great lineup in such a great location could be free.

• DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’d rather be the only woman on a Greek freighter…

• snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’d rather be the only guy on Lesbos.
        I’ll wear my Giants cap, and get somebody to defect…

• zumie said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Yeah, WJ. I’m planning on being at the HSB! Oh yeah!

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Lucky freakin’ bastards.
        Trade ya for the ‘V festival’ (not free)

38. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

By my count, 13 position players have played both here and in Fresno this year. That may not qualify for “astounding”, reserved for offensive low lights, but I thought that was a pretty high number, maybe we can call it “fairly interesting”. I’d think it’s at least a partial explanation for their hitting woes.

• Nipper said, on August 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Fresno is hot!

39. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Ross is 10 for his last 71.
    Don’t figure the percentage, it’s too scary.
    He’s as due as a 2-week -late first pregnancy…

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 7:32 pm

make that a second preggy and he is DUE

40. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

If I watch the Flying Squirrels tomorrow, I’ll give a scouting report. The “if” depends on:

— nap?
    — casino?
    — mood?

Wife is outta town and that’s the most trouble I can manage? Flying squirrels? Sign of old age.

41. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

This thread’s title is a misnomer. Try: Dead Men Continue GIDP. Dead Men Continue Solo HRs. Dead Men Continue Lousy RISP.

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Dead Men (wish) they were walking . . .

42. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Yet Snarkk pulls the rarely used “Costanza Reverse Doppelganger”, calling for a Rowand 4-bagger WITH MEN ON BASE…akin to Obama naming Bachmann to the 2012 ticket. It’s forced me to go with DeRosa gets the game winner- and he hits the ball all the way to deep short to do it.. I don’t like the Stanza move, not one little bit.

43. Big flavor said, on August 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Ross, rowand vs a righty and a bad hipped Nate. I guess the game winner is gonna have to come from the infield. Those 3 can handle the gidp’s

44. Big flavor said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

21 in a row! Let’s hit 50! Fuck that record it’s total luck and who doesn’t want to see one of our guys hit a bomb?????

45. blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

“Fresno is hot!”

Yes, garden spot of the free world.

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Raisin capital, don’t forget.
      Chatting with a stranger in Nottingham yesterday and he told me of his surprise when, driving from LA to SF and there was “a little Dutch town” in the middle of nowhere.

46. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Ross fucked up-a true HR or strike out would be very cool. Vazquez line:
    5 10 10 10 0 15

47. DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm

For $12 milion DeRosa has a total of 24 hits in a Giant uniform.
    LA got 3 wins out of Schmidt for $46 million.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

“work smarter, not harder”

• Big flavor said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm

What’d they get outta Andrew jones? Juan Pierre? Juan uribe? The list is endless

48. stixwiz said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

If they can’t beat Javier friggen Vasquez this team is cooked.

49. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm

pawlie, blade, kos’ watchers… if you hadn’t gotten the memo yet 🙂 Kos’ ‘puter in repair for the HD link, however the #2 link (SD) is running the game right now.

50. Big flavor said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

If anything, I’d be more concerned with a “score in first inning and then nada” pattern which we seem to have slipped into…

51. blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Mr. “exponential” Bill,

Thank you much – I finally figured it out and am enjoying Timmie and his merry band of (non) hitters.

52. blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

BY THE BY, ALL FLAP FANTASY LITTLE LEAGUE PLAYERS . . . LAST DAY OF INTER-LEAGUE TRADING ENDS TOMORROW.

If you want to horse trade, send me a proposal . . . I will listen 🙂

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I will trade you two DL guys for one RBI guy.
      DOUBLE your money, tonight only, the more you spend the more you win.

53. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I am so over Cabrera already…How’s Miggy feeling?

• blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I want Vizquel back myself . . . should never had let him get away.

54. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm

The George Costanza “opposite” episode is one of my all time fav TV episodes. I was never a huge Seinfeld fan, but enjoyed it from time to time. The move to the gorgeous blonde with “My name is George, I’m unemployed and I live with my parents”, followed by bedroom eyes, “I’m Victoria, hi!” was friggin’ genius writing…

55. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Unless he gets about a 10 pitch 6th, I don’t think I’d let Tim go more than the 6.

56. unca chuck said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Nice play Keppie!

57. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Lets hope that’s the beginning of a hot streak for Ross…He’s been hammering the ball with nothing to show until now.

58. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:36 pm

The Giants could use a Dan Uggla story about now…What was he batting, like .190 before the hit streak? .230 never looked so good.

59. wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Met’s just tied the Dbacks at 2-2.

60. unca chuck said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Fuck Nate. Foul off the pitch heading for your thigh, Fastball down the middle? Now you watch . . .

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Fuck Nate? Is that a nice way to talk about Durf and Umbag’s son?

61. unca chuck said, on August 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I forgot the comma.

62. ewisco said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I don’t know. nate, triple and run scored? he does seem to be in a habit of watching strike three though. besides, he’s not my type, though i hear his sister is dynamite.

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

He made a huge base running error going for the three. Third baseman out dumbed him

• unca chuck said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm

It was a double . . .

63. DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Foe trivia nuts:

Tomorrow both starters last names begin with the same 2 letters (Vogelsong/Volstad).
    In 2001, this happened for an entire 3 game series between the Yankees & A’s.

Lilly-Lidle
    Hitchcock-Hiljus
    Mussina-Mulder

• eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm

hahahahaha
      and I thought I had a bunch of useless facts

64. stixwiz said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Nice surprise in Affeldt going the 8th and making it smooth and quick.

65. DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Nice to see BW’s fastball hop.

66. unca chuck said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Oh goodie. I haven’t tmissed this

67. unca chuck said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I guess we won’t see Zambrano / Zito. . .

68. twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Fantastic news- torture is back.

69. DJLoo said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Alright!!!

70. Bozo said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

With that, say thank you very much and head back to the hotel for some adult beverages.

71. stixwiz said, on August 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm

With Timmy’s performance tonight, Giants starters include 2nd (Vogelsong); 4th (Timmy) and 9th (Cain) in NL ERA. Cincinnati’s Cueto is still stumping em and holding top spot. Lincecum probably won’t win the strikeout title but his ten special k’s tonight keeps him in third place in that race.

72. eddacker said, on August 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm

4am here and, as usual, enjoying a win. from my main man tim
    and enjoying ya’alls comments.
    Go Gigantes!

• Big flavor said, on August 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Edd, you are a true giants fan. I thought the east coast guys were committed. I salute you

73. snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Timmeh.
    Any questions?…

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

And? He pitched like the ace should. Not that he is expected to throw a shut out- but they got their nose in front and he and the pen held. SOP, how they won it last year.

74. Wilcojoe said, on August 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Per Baggs, Zito may have sustained a serious injury tonight In Fresno.

75. SanDawg said, on August 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm

His foot again?
    Also saw that the Marlins sent down Morrison—what the hell is that all about? ….and Damon cleared waivers—get him in orange and black asap!

• snarkk said, on August 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I agree…

• twinfan1 said, on August 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

At this stage of his career, the only OFer he’s better than is Rowand, So sure, if you can figger out a way to dump Aaron.