A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Does Belt Finally Stick? If so, WHERE?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 15, 2011

Yesterday was a breath of fresh air from a team with an offense that is bad at, really, everything. With Beltran still out, it shouldn’t be hard to find Belt regular playing time. He’ll play left field, Ross in center and Nate in right. I have to believe that the end of the road, outside of pinch hitting duty, has finally come for our *good friend* Aaron Rowand. Our offense is so bad, Rowand’s recent failures have gone largely under the radar. I just looked up his split stats and was pretty surprised  at what I saw.

For the entire month of August:

RBI’s: 0

Runs scored: also 0

Walks taken: hasn’t had a walk since July 5th!!!!!!!!!!

OPS: .455

That is really a shocking failure at every offensive level…..

When (if) Beltran comes back, then there will be a decision to make and it will come down to 2 questions: Is Belt hitting? Is Nate hitting? If Belt is hitting and Nate isn’t (and really, he hasn’t been. I think that it’s quite clear to everyone that Nate is best used as a secret weapon off the bench) then Belt might find a regular spot in RF….. I suppose if Nate and Belt are both crushing the ball and Huff is in a deep slump, Belt *could* get more playing time at first base. But Huff has been quite good lately, hitting .333 in August with an excellent OPS of .925. I don’t see Ross leaving the LU or center field (or leadoff) unless he’s completely useless. In fact, that’s probably Rowand’s best chance to start regularly again.

Belt has somewhat of an opportunity here. Bochy HAS to play him while Beltran is out. Really, Bochy has to play ANYONE who is exhibiting signs of human life at the plate. Showing up and banging 2 hr’s in your first game back is the right way to start…..

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 6:44 pm

These announcers are bullshit. Stop w/ the cliches. I know of no evidence, none, that the Giants have let up on their quote preparation unquote.

2. wilcojoe said, on August 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Just walk him to get to Uggla.

3. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I started smoking again and I don’t even have cigarettes…fuck

4. wilcojoe said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm

That fucking hurt

5. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Wow. Those away pitches were a total waste.

6. SanDawg said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Unfuckingbelievable

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Very tough loss. I was as nervous on that last AB as postseason. Tough loss. Victory was within our grasp.

8. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Fuck, that really sucks . . .

9. wilcojoe said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Wilson gave it everything he could…I think he’s hurting more than we know….Regardless that could be a season killer.

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Hard to fathom what just happened. Fuckmeroyally.

11. Big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Uncool. That one made my butthole hurt…

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Clearly, Wilson hurting. Easy to say now, but he needed another day off. They shoulda overruled his “I’m good to go.” But who knew? Man, this stings. After some timely hitting.

13. Bozo said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm

No tipping your hat on that one. The Braves try to hand the game to the Giants and they they said no thanks. That was some piss poor play by to Playoff teams.

• Bozo said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Not “to” but “two”, as in two playoff teams. Ahh fuck it.

14. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm

It’s hardly a season killer, please. Tough tough loss, though. Little thing- the slight double clutch by Cabrera on Costanza’s ball..but definitely too much nibbling this time.

15. Sportdude said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Not bitching. Just a question. Doesn’t the pitching coach get paid to notice that Wilson could not throw the cutter for a strike? Crunch time he K’s the hottest hitter in baseball with 2 seemers at 95mph. Then goes back to the same crap that got him in trouble in the 1st place. 2-2 pitch can NOT be another outside cutter. Augh. Even my 12 year old son asked me why he keeps throwing it?

• Big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hes been doing that all yr with that pitch.

16. Big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Not a season killer by a mile. Just a dumb, tough loss. More likely a case of Bochy buying his closer’s “good to go” claim. It’s worked out for and against in the past. It’s just one game…

• wilcojoe said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Just saying if things were to go south, we may look back as that being the turning point…I am telling you guys, the Dbacks are not the 2010 Padres…Don’t expect the Giants to win this divison by default.

• willieD said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm

agreed, man. but….AZ doesn’t have Pads pitching, esp the pen, so we’ll see how it holds up crunch time. They’re hot right now, and I still think it’s unfair to judge them or SF that they will always play this way.

17. Sportdude said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

before this year the 96 -98mph 2 seamer with a killer slider made him unhittable at times. Now I sometimes feel like a few years ago when we had the list of scrubs to horrible to utter. Dump the cutter

18. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:25 pm

He pitched a little scared to the lefties. They weren’t even looking at the outside crap.

Wilson hurting? I haven’t seen him hit 97 since week 1.

19. unca_chuck said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm

i almost thought Bochy would go lefty/lefty for Freeman, but . . .

20. snarkk said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Tough one. They beat Hudson, then the Beard gives it up.
    I don’t know why Wilson doesn’t go after these guys like he went after Howard in the last AB of the NLCS. Why is he trying to paint at 2-2 with bases loaded, and get a call from a jerk like Joe West behind the plate? If he was hurt and couldn’t go, he should not have gone. If they put him out there, he should be ready to go…

21. Big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:34 pm

thoughts: the cutter is a stupid ass pitch for wilson because every hitter knows to lay off it. The doosh-backs arent even as good as the pads last year due to their shitty pitching. Oh, and I’m a big fan of bacon as well as blue cheese on a burger. Thinking about combining the two. Good night. Three periods…

22. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Actually he hit 97 tonight according to Gameday and was regularly 96. He just put himself in the position he rarely gets into- having to give in.

23. James said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:39 pm

It’s possible to be throwing 97, and be hurting, but this just seems more like one of those few times where Wllson’s wildness burned him. If the pitch to Howard had been called a ball, then it would have been nibbling, too.

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Don’t buy it. His strength as a closer has always been that he doesn’t give in. That’s why he’s maddening and it’s why he’s been great. He’s just not the same this year and the peripherals show that.
      And the pitch to Howard was cleraly a strike, not close..

• big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm

not giving in means he would still have velocity. He doesn’t have that this year. That’s obvious

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

That’s not what the term means. it just means he doesn’t throw a fastball in a fastball count OR he throws for the paint. He K’ed Uggla with 97..

24. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:42 pm

It’s another closer-meets-bat-meets-beverageContainmentUnit evening.

25. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Word is Pablo misses a game or two but he says he wants to play tomorrow. Beltran probably to DL, Burriss probably up.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Burriss? Give me Ford. Twin, Anyone,what’s the rule on the number of options? I clearly recall Nate was down to zero last year or even the year before, so the Giants were sort of forced to keep him. Does he stay at that zero? Do years of MLB service change that? Where’s Belt stand with respect to that limit?

Wilson is a brawler, a boxer who says: “I’ve got one more round, no TKO” to his corner. He’d say that if his arm was falling off. It’s up to the cornermen to say yes or no to that.

26. big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wilson actually pitched just a little bit worse than he usually does. He just didn’t finish it off as he normally does. At this point in the year all I care about is wins and losses. And bacon. And blue cheese. And guess what, a win or a loss isn’t a death blow, All that matters is how we finish. It’s ok to lose a game………

27. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Way bigger game than tomorrow:
    7.1 IP 2 H 1 R 1 ER 0 BB 11 K
    Sanchez vs. Atlanta October 16 2010
    Hey, I can hope.

28. snarkk said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm

If Panda is hobbling and can’t play, Bochy better re-think being down 2 men to Atlanta, not counting DeRosa, which makes 3. If DeRosa actually can play, tomorrow would be the time to see it, replacing Panda at 3rd. I’m not going to hold my breath, we’ll see Fonterunt instead since he just hit a dinger tonite. Get Ford or somebody from Richmond down to Atlanta, stat. Decide tonite on Beltran, DL him or get off the pot…

• Nipper said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Snarkk is trying the GM hat.

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Burriss, not Ford, will probably be up according to other experts, Snarrk. Beltran to DL unless Panda heals overnight.

• twinfan1 said, on August 16, 2011 at 12:11 am

Bochy better do this, Sabean better do that,.. how about Snarkk STFU? Get this straight once and for all- they know what they’re doing, Snarkk doesn’t.

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm

As I said last night, only Pegleg Peguero hitting in Richmond.

See my earlier comment re Wilson. I’m attention-starved and angling for POTD.

30. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm

On the bright side: Nate’s HR, Font’s little tiny miracle, and Ross hit the ball well and made some good plays. And something else I can’t recall. Huff’s hitting.

31. blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Per the AP article, Fast Freddie knew exactly what was coming . . .

ATLANTA (AP)—Freddie Freeman(notes) knew Brian Wilson(notes) had to throw a strike. He correctly guessed it’d come with heat.

Freeman capped a three-run rally against Wilson, San Francisco’s star closer, in the ninth with a two-run, bases-loaded single to lift the Atlanta Braves to a 5-4 win over the Giants on Monday night.

“I knew I was going to get a pitch to hit,” Freeman said.

“He’s got to throw a strike or walk in the tying run. … I got a pitch to hit and got it up the middle.”

. . . Sigh

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Of course he knew what was coming. Brian put himself in a position where he had to do exactly what he did- throw a FB down the middle and hope to get lucky. It’s not like Freeman is some Einstein- eveyone knew what Wilson had to do on 3-2.

32. blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm

By the by, Brian Wilson was so good last year, that we tend to perceive something must be wrong with Brian this year. The reality is that there are quite a few “star” relief pitchers that are not performing as they have in the past, e.g., Marmol, Soria, Franklin, Rivera, etc. (I can come up with more if you like).

Even the new wunderkinds such as Walden wish they were in Wilson’s shoes . . . For example, Walden allowed back-to-back doubles with one out in the ninth inning Sunday and suffered his eighth blown save in 34 opportunities this season. The rookie leads the majors in blown saves and the Angels bullpen overall leads the American League with 20 blown saves (tied for third in the majors).

Just to keep everything in perspective . . .

• Big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

A velocity drop is a bigger issue for any pitched. Its absolutely a concern. You have to factor luck into all these torture-saves. Flip side is to just be an optimist and look past all this and just count the saves. But don’t look past velocity, it matters….

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Last two outings he’s hit his highest velocity this year, that I recall. 97. But as we all know, 97 doesn’t mean shit to a big league hitter if it’s “in the zone”. According to MLB.COM he struck out Uggla with the same pitch that Freeman beat him with. Same location, 97 to Ugga, 96 to Freeman. But Freeman knew what was coming, everybody did.In hindsight, a walk only ties it. Freeman might have died of shock if Wilson threw him the cutter. Hindsight– you just hope Freddie swings before he dies..

33. DJLoo said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I actually feel a little bad for Wilson. He seems like the type of guy that thinks he always has to be “on”.
    I’m talking about off the field. Of course I only see him on camera, so it’s just a guess…

34. TedSpe said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I couldn’t watch the game. So I was following on the internet at work. I left around 06:40pm to go catch a bus home. 4-2 Giants, feeling pretty secure. Caught my bus, rode, got off my bus at my stop. Another bus pulled up with an advertisement for the Showtime show THE FRANCHISE on the side of the bus which had pictures of Bochy, Posey, Lincecum, Sandoval, Wilson, Cain, et.al… A guy, in full Giants gear was walking by. Stopped. I gave him that knowing “dude” nod which we’ve all been doing for the past 9 months.
    He nodded back with a solemn look on his face. He looked at the advertisement and immediately punched the face of Wilson on the side of the bus. Then he looked at me with that knowing “dude” nod.
    As he continued to walk down the street, rubbing his right knuckles, I had two thoughts. First? FUCK!! Second? It’s just fucking August.
    Goodnight, gentlemen…question mark

• DJLoo said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

“et al” needs to pick it up a little…

• Big flavor said, on August 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Um, this is the Internet and while I love all you regs if that “wilson bus stop ad” thing is bullshit I’m gonna feel awfully bad about making that potd tomorrow morning 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Some story. Ouch ital bold caps underscore. Good to see you here, Mr. Spe.

• TedSpe said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

It dawned on me that there would be doubt. It’s a true story and here’s what was on the side of the bus

• SanDawg said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Is that Freddie on Bochy’s left shoulder? I’ve only seen that picture in passing and I always struggle to id everyone. Great photo with everyone looking so menacing—-kind of reminds of an old Steve Miller band album cover.
        The Mid State Fair had both the Steve Miller Band and Kid Rock performing this year. My concertgoing days are pretty much behind me, but I would have enjoyed seeing both of those shows. I don’t know a lot of Kid’s stuff, but he seems like an amusing guy.

• TedSpe said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

et al, Loo, is I didn’t have time to memorize everyone’s fucking ugly face on the ad. Next time I’ll take fucking notes.
      Asshole.
      Hiya, Pawlie

• DJLoo said, on August 16, 2011 at 4:54 am

Thanks, Ted. I know what “et al” means. Now why don’t you go back into hiding before Twin makes you cry again.

• SanDawg said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm

That is so awesome. I used to ride the 9 bus with my grandma in the city. We’d go to Woolworth’s on Market and she would buy me a hot dog or a grilled cheese at the counter when I was just a little dude.

I’ll say this for Wilson–at least he threw a fucking strike. I’d rather see him take his chances grooving a fastball than walk in a run. Freeman got it done this time.

35. snarkk said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Funny, after 2 consecutive games with an HR, “Cave Boy” evolved into “Nate”…

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Oh, he’s still Grok, just as your’re still Snarkklefuck..listen, dumbshit, I root for Grok as much as I root for any other Giant.

• twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I hadn’t recalled calling him Nate, I think it was when I noted the noodle arm Bourn has. I think I probably didn’t want to freak Snarkkles out with a two diss post. He’s so sensitive, you know.

36. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Well, they started a new streak, Pablo should be OK, MVP is raking again, and it’s remotely possible I get laid this year.. all is well.

• ewisco said, on August 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm

i take it your not married.

37. blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Rockies have lost 16 straight Sunday games . . . Meanwhile, the Giants have lost the first game in eight straight series.

38. blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Ted, are you certain he was slugging Wilson? He could have been slugging Bochy that was next to him . . . or, he could have been taking it out on Cain.

Or . . .

• blade3colorado said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Just wondering – who is this guy “Et Al?” Fresno call up?

🙂

• TedSpe said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Et Al is actually the number three guy in the Taliban. I heard he’s suing Wilson for copy infringement

39. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm

There seemes to be a misunderstanding of what “giving in” means. It doesn’t have jackshit to do with how hard Wilson or anybody else is throwing. It has to do with not throwing fastballs ( of whatever velocity) in fastball counts, of throwing for the corners even when behind, etc. As I’ve patietly counseled it’s what’s made Wilson a great closer and a tortuous one.
    He hasn’t been the same this year- all the peripherals show that- but he’s actually been throwing harder of late. He paid the piper tonight, he had to give in.

40. Sportdude said, on August 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm

he can’t control the cutter, and (according to an SI article I read on the cutter and how many guys use it now) you lose velocity when you throw it. That may be why Wilson’s velocity is down. When he was hiting 97 -98 for strikes and is ahead his slider is devastating, just as Nen used to be. When he is behind all the time it becomes average at best because they don’t have to swing, and the velocity gap is only 2-3 mph vs. 7-8…

41. ewisco said, on August 15, 2011 at 10:25 pm

was working a “back to school” event and missed the drama. I have to say, i’m happy with that. a couple of scotches, some dinner, and it’s not as bad as it first seemed. still sucked though. But as flav points out, one game. the line to the bridge just got longer though.

42. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm

That makes some sense, but he was throwing the breaker at 91 tonight and his fastball at 96-97. ( no one can seem to settle on whether it’s a slider or a cutter or both. I’ve seen the same pitch called both depending on the talker.) The velocity numbers are as per Gameday. His stuff was as good as it’s been all year. But as Dude and Flavor noted- he couldn’t get the “cutter” over. he threw it 14 times, 4 for strikes.Fastball was the opposite- 10 strikes, 4 balls.
    What does this all mean? The TV went out up here and I had nothing to do but count Wilson’s pitches…

43. twinfan1 said, on August 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Tweet from Baggs;
    “The Giants signed all of their top 13 draft picks and 27 of their first 31. That includes Andrew Susac, who was considered a first-rounder.” Susac got a nice bonus, 1.1 million. The new Pear Butt? We shall see..

44. twinfan1 said, on August 16, 2011 at 12:20 am

From “bashing the LU” , perhaps not an antidote but at least some comnon sense applied to the endless and repetitive rants on the offense:
    “I think everyone has figured out that the offense has taken a big hit, even compared to last year’s middle of the pack group. Most of us, at least most of us in “A”, also know that several factors contribute to it- the losses of Posey and Fruckie, several weeks without Panda, DL stints to other key players, now a key acquisition who has thus far Car-koed, the fewest runs scored throughout baseball since 1992, and of course, the down years from last years MVPs- Torres and Huff. Personally, if I found the line ups that Bochy must make do with as odious as most here- I’d find different entertainment for 3 precious hours of my day. If the same magic is not here as in 2010, there’s still plenty of it and thus far it’s a year that exactly ZERO here would have predicted if the setbacks could have been known in March. This is a team, and a line up, to be celebrated for their heart and gumption, not ridiculed..