A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Your 3rd Place Willie Mac Winner: Guillermo Mota

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 22, 2011

I was discussing this 3rd place finish with Pawlie yesterday on the phone. I know the players and coaches vote 0n this esteemed award, I’m just not certain how the votes are cast. Do they just get to submit one name? That would be tough. Looking at the list of past winners since 1980 is a wild ride down memory lane. Clark won it the first year. Krukow won it back to back. Speier won it in 1987 and I only remember him playing for us in the 70’s. Tiny Felder in 1992, I loved that guy. Mark Carreon who I dimly remember playing for us at all won it in 1995. The 2 time winners are Krukow, Snow and Molina. It’s awarded to the player who “best exemplifies the spirit and leadership consistently shown by McCovey throughout his long career”.

I think Pablo wins it this year fairly easily with Vogelsong and his long road back to the big leagues snagging him 2nd place. And I don’t know how else to honor Mota’s thankless contributions to the team this year so I am handing him 3rd place right now. This is a guy who didn’t get an offer from a single team last Winter. Think about that. With pitching staffs torn up across the league, Mota didn’t even get a major league offer. The freaking Giants didn’t even offer him an MLB deal! He had to come back on a minor league deal. He’s making $925,000. This is a guy who’s made a little over 16 million in his career who is hardly doing this now for the money.

I’ll spare you all the disgusting details of Zito’s contract. One of them is that it calls for him to get a luxury box on every single road game the Giants play. Meanwhile, Guillermo Mota is busy saving our bacon time and time again. When Zito went down with his owey foot, Mota comes in to eat up innings and get the win. When Bumgarner gave up 137 runs in the first inning against the Twins, Mota comes in and saves the bullpen (as well as the next couple of games by resting the bullpen) and pitches nearly 5 innings. And yesterday, after Runzler did his best impression of a scared 3rd grade girl, Mota comes in and rights the ship with 3 scoreless. There are 39 other games he’s appeared in that will go unnoticed by everyone except Mota and his friends and family.

His contributions to the team this year can’t be understated. And while I don’t know if 3rd place in the Willie Mac Award is the proper way to honor him, I’m doing so anyway. So take your cap or use a pretend one and doff it to this man today. He’s never going to get paid market value for the games he saves for us. He’s 38, he might get another year deal with the Giants if he’s lucky. But while Zito is packing his whores into those road luxury suites, Mota is quietly waiting in the bullpen for Bochy to call on him. He almost always delivers the goods…..

And speaking of delivering the goods, I want to give a huge public shout out to WILCO JOE. While I am pathetically titling the  main thread “To Watch or not To Watch?” my main man in the state of Texas was busy doing  it all this weekend: He went to all 3 games giving us live game time updates. He had a player toss him a ball (not his first) as he was congratulating the team from the rail. He tracked Bow Tie’s every move, and ultimately got his picture taken with him. He even took a break from the rum and cokes and took his family to a game. And this is unconfirmed, but I think he’s the first double-POTD we’ve ever had. You, dude, are one hell of a Giant’s fan and an esteemed member of Flapper Nation. Well done……

1. blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:24 am

“Good night all. Haven’t been updating much, I think it became tiresome for you all. Getting another MRI tomorrow. No idea what to expect on this one–my right hand was always how I could tell if things weren’t right. But it got totally fucked with the craniotomy so it’s hard for me to tell as easily as before. I had had some adrenal problems as well, but that seems to have been addressed successfully. Anyway, this is a big one, if there’s another recurrence it would not be a real good thing.”

Good luck with the MRI today Twin . . .

I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much.
    Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:29 am

excellent. And I edited it a little for you too, hope that’s cool. 🙂

2. willieD said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:31 am

On the post game wrap the 3 (no miller) all were ecstatic the trip through the heat was over, and that SF had actually gained a game on the weekend. ATL good pitching shut down bax offense, holding them to 1 run in last 2 games. They might rue this as a time when they could have created a lot more distance btw themselves and SF by playing better ball vs. others at top of the standings.
    Props to wilco, for the all the posts and hitting the whole series of games. I read something in local papers this week about how wineries in santa cruz mtns. are expecting significantly lower yields this year due to lack of hot weather; apparently the colder air is being kept here by the same forces keeping the hot air mass from moving away from the south and mid west. K and K said before the game Houston will set records for days over 100. Must be brutal to have to go outside when coupled with all the humidity. Spoiled, here.

3. willieD said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:41 am

I think last monday Kruk was talking about giants who grew up in the South (whitey, cain) and said how much they look forward to playing in the cooler weather of SF. Kruk always jokes about “good pitching weather” at ATT night games. bum, I recall, seemed pretty happy to be pitching in STL one night earlier in year when it was pretty hot, said it reminded him of home. Wonder how that affects guys desire to play here?
    Back in the day when the Cubs played almost exclusively home day games, conventional wisdom said they couldn’t win because they would wilt in the summer (and of course one year they were really in it mid-60s, they did)….texas too. Since I’ve always lived in relative mild temps of south bay, I wonder how living and playing in the heat and humidity of other climes (including caribbean and latin america) affects how players feel about SF? Like it or hate it?

4. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:02 am

Couldn’t agree more about Mota and Joe…Nice Mother Teresa quote-maybe told this joke, so I’ll try to shorten it. The pope assigned Mother Teresa to a tour of America’s inner cities. After each, she’d report.” Oh my goodness, many children are hungry”… “Mother Teresa, again. I’m in Chicago, the crime is terrible, many homeless.So appalling”…She isn’t heard from for quite some time. The Vatican is concerned.. finally the call comes in “Dude, Terri here. I’m in LA…”

5. willieD said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

K and K also mentioned the benefit of having SF starters normally go deep in games, saving wear and tear on the pen. Even Vogs, who didn’t have a great outing, went 7 the other night. With wilson out for a few that will make a difference…as it did yesterday.
    AZ pen has been much better than advertised…losing Marquis (who was getting lit up anyway) forces them to sub in another SP, which might add to the workload this time of year, when everyone is tired and a bit worn down. See how gibson handles his pen, and how well they can hold up during stretch drive. Putz got run out of town on his last stop (or two) as I recall.

6. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

the Morning Idiots on KNBR assigned yesterday’s win to 2 players: Belt and Sandoval. No mention, not one word, about Mota or the pen holding the Astros to 9.1 scoreless. They are useless….
    Another KNBR rant: they have this Mon morning bit, I forget the name of it, but it has to do with discussing the best home runs from the day before. It’s like a “touch ’em all” segment. The lead in is 3 or 4 HR calls by the Giants announcers but they also have not one but TWO sound bites of Brooks Conrad making an error from the NLDS last year. I think it’s shameful of KNBR to be using those sound bites for a show segment that has NOTHING TO DO with Conrad or errors. I think most non-Braves fans felt compassion for that dude. KNBR seems to think it’s cool to make fun of him a year later and in a segment that is totally out of context…..

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:58 am

Give’m hell BF!

7. dirtnrocksnreno said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:56 am

I remember Mota looking like the happiest dude on earth during the ring ceremony at the start of the season. He seems like a guy who really loves the game and he’s been nails this year for all the reasons Flav mentions.

There is a funny clip of him on the Showtime series calling other members of the bullpen douchebags. It is hard to tell what he says but the rest of the guys in the pen are busting up laughing because of him. Great moment.

8. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

K and K have said they expected a really mean dude and instead, what a great guy Mota is. The shot of the biggest and greatest smile in the world as he gets ready to greet Chris Stewart is priceless…
    mota

• Bozo said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:42 am

Stewart 1st ML HR. As I recall Mota leaned into Bochy to verify it was Stew’s first and then did a little pirouette happy dance thing before this greeting. It was an awesome moment.

• EdGdsnInExile said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:03 am

Twin, reading Flav’s post, I thought of this photo too. Good catch. Bozo, not only did Mota check if it was his first, but apparently Mota has hit two of his own so is still ahead of Stewart.

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:06 am

That pic should go directly into the next Giants yearbook.

9. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

If you guys haven’t checked out Jon Dowd’s blog, you should check it out–it’s listed in the blogroll to the right. Not trying to run anyone away but it’s cool because it’s a NIner blog and a Giants blog. Xoot and Dennis post there, as well as the few good posters that the Splash had.
    It’s different than this place. Did any of you ever see the episode on Seinfeld where Elaine was dating a guy and he and his 3 friends looked exactly like Jerry, Elaine, etc…except their personalities were the polar opposite? That’s what this place and JDR’s place is like–everyone is polite and nice to each other, lol.
    He gave an explanation the other day of where the name of his blog came from. Interesting. See, now that’s the kind of cerebral shit you don’t get at the Flap!

JDR says:
    August 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm
    It’s Jon Dowd. Back in the day Barry Bonds wasn’t part of the MLBPA and thus was not included when video games licensed to use players likenesses. Rather than negotiate a separate deal with Bonds, EA Sports replaced him with a generic character named “Jon Dowd” in their baseball games.

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:03 am

The Flap has “real” shit not the cerebral kind.

10. Bozo said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:47 am

I took a cerebral shit once.

Mota has been huge, just an all around stud. All three of the guys BF mentioned (Song, Mota and Panda) were all on the bubble during ST so it’s been great to see them all perform the way they have.

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:55 am

Once!

• Bozo said, on August 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm

“Bless the saints, it’s an ashtray! I’ve been thinking of taking up smoking. This clinches it! “

11. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’ll leave you with Mota’s wonderful smile. We’re getting the MRI at UCSF this time because theirs is better at differentiating between necrosis and tumor. See ya..

• Bozo said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

Good luck Twin.

• EdGdsnInExile said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:04 am

Good luck, Twin. My family and I have used UCSF over the years; you are in good hands.

12. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:09 am

Good luck, Mike. Hope all goes the way it should . . .

13. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:10 am

D-backs lost 2 of 3 in Philly and all 3 in hot-lanta. Now here in DC for 4 games against Nats who are 36-25 at home, having just taken a series from Phils–two games in walk-off fashion. Don’t know if you guys saw it, but Petaluma’s own Jonny Gomes smartly took one for the team against Lidge to win last night. I’m under the weather, but will file a report if I make it out there Wednesday night.

14. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:17 am

Missed all the games this weekend. Thankfully.

On our way back from Tahoe, we turned the game on in the bottom of the 8th, and got to hear the Giants fail, the Astros fail, and the Giants finally prevail in the 11th. Great stuff. My son (14) is slowly being driven insane by the team. I said, welcome to the club . . . Runners left on base, blown opportunities, wasted pitching efforts, yadda yadda yadda. I keep reminding him, hey, I had to wait til I was 49 to celebrate a world championship. You are lucky as hell. You were 13 when the Giants won it all. Whenever you get pissed about the team, bask in the fact they won it all last year, and you got to watch it all . . . Hey, it still keeps me going . . .

For all the angst spread around by the clowns at Comast Sports Central, thes eguys are in it. Their destiny is in theit hands. Get healthy, and win at home. End of story. Not surprised (but bummed) to hear Wilson went on the DL. His elbow problem (and previous TJ surgery) could be a very bad situation.

15. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

And, yeah, whe I read Flav’s Mota post, the 1st thing I thought of was Mota’s reaction to Stewie’s home run. That is one of the year’s highlights for me. Just an incredibly cool thing for Mota to do for his catcher. . . .

16. dirtnrocksnreno said, on August 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

Picked a good weekend for Tahoe chuck. Great weather the past few days.

17. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, went out on one of those catamaransi yesterday. Very nice. Went down to hidden beach later. Great couple days . . .

18. blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

“The Flap has “real” shit not the cerebral kind.”

Plus, we own a fan.

19. Kevin said, on August 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Latest crimes at games. What are stadiums going to do about the violence in the stands. California cannot be the only place this is happening. I am sad to say that I might not attend a Niner game this year. I have a friend who has season tickets and he usually calls me to let me know if he is not attending. The safety of my family is far more important than seeing the game live. Tail gate parties have been around forever. So how do you protect the majority from the truely stupid? is it the stadiums responsibility to put more security in the stands. I could care less about the combatants, it is the innocent victims that are at risk here. A small child getting knocked down those stone steps that are at every stadium. or an elderly person for that matter. It is a sad day when fans can’t sit in the stands, relax and watch a game.

20. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Get real, Kevin. It’s the goddamned Raiders fans that caused all this shit. I’ve been to hundreds of games, taken all my kids, from age 2 on, and have never seen anything like the shit that happened yesterday. Why? Because out of town fans aren’t drunk-ass fucked-up gun-toting thugs from Oaktown. We’re talking NFC Championship games amongst tons of GB fans, playoff games, and very meaningful games where the out of town fans were nothing like the assholes roaming around Saturday.

Usually, preseason games are fairly well attended. This one wasn’t. It looked as if the Niners fans weren’t bothering to come. Or they sold their preseason tix to Raider fans to avoid the bullshit. I don’t know, but do you think the presence of Raider fans could have fueled this? I do. The Niners did increase security, but they can’t be everywhere all at once.

In a smart move, the Niners have cancelled the preseason Raider game going forward.

• Kevin said, on August 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm

But what happens with a regular season game against the Raiders??

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Well, there will be many more Niner fans, and a lot less Raider thugs causing shit.

• TedSpe said, on August 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Becasue of the conference difference, those are few and far between so they may just not schedule any more as well. The pre-season game on the other hand had been a yearly tradition. Ironically, in the sense of a Bay Area friendly rivalry

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Good move. Not worth the trouble.

21. TedSpe said, on August 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Jon Dowd’s blog = cerebral shit
    oneflapdown77 = existential shit

22. ewisco said, on August 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

US Marines – shit on a shingle

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Yummy! Had it for years in the Navy.

• unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm

49ers unfiltered? Shit on a stick . . .

• blade3colorado said, on August 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Coaches not named Bill Walsh – “Shit for brains”*

* Jury still out for Harbough

23. TedSpe said, on August 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

The word shit, uh, is an interesting kind of word in that the middle class has never really accepted it and approved it. They use it like, crazy but it’s not really okay. It’s still a rude, dirty, old kind of gushy word. They don’t like that, but they say it, like, they say it like, a lady now in a middle-class home, you’ll hear most of the time she says it as an expletive, you know, it’s out of her mouth before she knows. She says, Oh shit oh shit, oh shit. If she drops something, Oh, the shit hurt the broccoli. So! Now the word shit is okay for the man. At work you can say it like crazy. Mostly figuratively, Get that shit out of here, will ya? I don’t want to see that shit anymore. I can’t cut that shit, buddy. I’ve had that shit up to here. I think you’re full of shit myself. He don’t know shit from Shinola. Boy, I don’t know whether to shit or wind my watch. Guess, I’ll shit on my watch. Oh, the shit is going to hit de fan. Built like a brick shit-house. Up, he’s up shit’s creek. Hot shit, holy shit, tough shit, eat shit. Shit-eating grin. Uh, whoever thought of that was ill. He had a shit – eating grin! He had a what? Shit on a stick. Shit in a handbag. I always like that. He ain’t worth shit in a handbag. Shitty. He acted real shitty. You know what I mean? I got the money back, but a real shitty attitude. He had a shit-fit. Wow! Shit-fit. Whew! Glad I wasn’t there. All the animals–Bull shit, horseshit, cow shit, rat shit, bat shit. First time I heard bat shit, I really came apart. A guy in Oklahoma, Boggs, said it, man. Aw! Bat shit. Snake shit, slicker than owl shit. Get your shit together. Shit or get off the pot. I got a shit – load full of them. I got a shit-pot full, all right. Shit-head, shit-heel, shit in your heart, shit for brains, shit-face. I always try to think how that could have originated; the first guy that said that. Somebody got drunk and fell in some shit, you know. Hey, I’m shit-face. Shit-face, today. I don’t take no shit and I don’t give a shit. If I gave a shit, then I would have to pack shit, but I don’t pack no shit, so I don’t give a shit!Anyway, enough of that shit.
    -George Carlin-(slightly edited)

24. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Ever notice that their stuff is shit, but your shit is stuff. Move your shit so I can put my stuff here.

– George C.

25. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Nationals jumping out to a 4-0 lead on the Doosh-backs. As much as I did not think it was possible, we might be able to take over first place on…….wait for it……….August 23rd!

26. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Someone sent me this. It’s a Monday, no game, this is all I got. How super genuine does Belt seem here as he debates how to get this kid some gear from his locker? I fucking love athletes like this who *get it*…

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Give him 5 years and a big arb win. If he’s still the “Awkward Giraffe” then, talking to kids when nobody’s looking, that would be really cool…

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

My sense is that he’s just a well mannered southern kid who recognizes early on that he’s a role model. He seems almost over-the-top sincere. Wait till his autograph is worth something, he’s probably gonna get hoodwinked by some shady fellows some day. Plus, it looks like he married for love, the chick I saw on tv (granted it was a quick clip) looked fat. Your young girlfriend is fat, you’re an impending mlb major leaguer and you marry for love? Stupid or brilliant, I can’t decide. Either way, I loved him after I saw this clip. I’ve been big timed by enough athletes over the years to appreciate it. But who knows, maybe all minor league guys are like this, I’ve never actually seen a game live. Zumie would know, he’s been to a lot of them…….
        Pawlie, thanks for the props but I wouldn’t have thought of the thread if we hadn’t spoken last night. I should answer my phone more often 🙂

• zumie said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Minor leaguers are so great about stuff like that. I think I told you all that Angel Villalona threw me a ball at one of the SJ Giants games. It was very sad to hear about his problems later.

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I like him if he hits….hits a lot……has some pop…..fields like an all-star…. Personality is gravy.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Magnus,
    Great post. Maybe you should be my therapist. You deftly walked me off the ledge. I feel so buoyant and hopeful today.

Twin,
    Hoping and praying for the best. “All good things,” to use a Leonard Cohen line.

I love Flapper Nation.

28. zumie said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:20 pm

“What are stadiums going to do about the violence in the stands.”

Well, of course, they’re not going to do the most obvious thing. The big elephant in the room. The sale of alcohol at ballgames, which is, of course, a big money-maker.

29. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Zumie—completely and totally agree. There solutions are mostly lip service sound good on tv. If someone wants to get wasted, stopping alcohol sales “some time in the 4th quarter” is an absurd solution. the stadium will be open 4 hours before kick off and then they’re 2.5 hours or so before they cut off beer sales. Yeah, that last 30 minutes to sober up is really gonna make a difference.
    I do like the DUI check points. That could help a little….
    Why weren’t all of these changes made sooner? They seemed like fairly easy changes to make. In a city so connected to the Stow case, I find it impossible to believe that the Yorks had to have all this happen and THEN make some fairly obvious, though likely to be not that effective, changes. Major fumble by them from a PR stand point……

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm

DUI checks after a game? Oh yeah the season ticket people will really enjoy that!

30. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Not that the Yorks don’t need to take heed for their part in all this, but there have been literally hundreds and hundreds of games where nothing has happened. Championshiop game losses to Dallas, GB, and other terrible losses where opposing fans are all over the stadium. NOTHING like this has happened. The Niners increased security for this game. A fucking preseason game with NO MEANING/ The point to all this being, take away the Raider thug fans, and you don’t have a problem anymore. They were there to fuck around, and did.

The problem was, to me, that Niner fans didn’t give a shit, and gave their tix to Raider fans flooding the parking lot. Once in there, they started causing shit at all costs. I’ve been to around 120 49er games over the years and have seen maybe 3 fights, but nothing remotely this bad. Not since the Kezar days, anyway. I’ve been to 2 Raider games, and I counted 8-10 fights that I could see.

The Niners cut off beer sales midway thru the 3rd quarter BTW. Pac Bell? Nope. They sell before during and after games. Should we checkpoint there as well?

DUI checkpoints? Yeah, sounds great, but it would take 6 hours to get out of the parking lot. No fucking way.

• Nipper said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Just cancel these preseason abominations once and for all!

31. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Douchebacks lose 6th in a row and continue on the road. May the Nats swat them in a sweet sweep.

• SanDawg said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I caught the last pitch of that game. Storen broke off a nasty slider and Henry Blanco headed back to the dugout before the ump even made a move. I’m glad to see the Nats getting their shit together a bit.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I remember seeing Storen in Syracuse; of course, for the moment he is outshining Strasburg. Keep your eye on Brad Peacock, a pitcher, when he comes up.

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I remember watching him at Stanford. Many games. I never thought he’d make it at this level. Ever. He didn’t seem to have an out pitch and really never stood out, visually, at home games…….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Just looked up Storen, and, man, he sure was promoted fast; did not stay long in Syracuse. It’s funny. His time coincided w/ Stras but Storen got little publicity. He tore up Indiana as a high schooler.

Slow night, eh?

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm

when there’s a mini thread about Drew Storen? Ha, yeah. There’s a Raider’s restroom mini thread going if that sounds any better. I have watched that Belt video several times. I’ve spent a lot of time working with people in law enforcement on reading body language– actually it has come in quite handy at the poker table over the years (you can read someone’s legs by the way, something you might want to know when you’re playing poker and they are working so hard to maintain that stone-cold face).
        Anyway, Belt clearly didn’t want to meet the request of that fan. But following through on it was just about the coolest thing I’ve seen this week (hey it’s only Monday, things could pick up, right?)

32. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Chuck–fair enough. I haven’t been to a Niner game in probably 5-6 years or more. What I see on tv though, is that there is an increasing % of ghetto looking fans in the seats. And don’t gimme any shit about that being racist. I’m talking about punk-ass looking young people, tatted up everywhere with their *colors* being represented. If pressed to answer, my completely unscientific poll would indicate most of those young fans are latino. Some white, almost no black. It wouldn’t surprise me at all with tickets easier to come by if there’s an increased gang contingent at Candlestick. And it always takes hours to get out of that fucking lot. A crime scene will delay that even further.
    I’ve been to 2 Raider games, the last one was the AFC championship game vs, I think, the Ravens. True story: I met my buddy there who is a huge Raider fan and they were his tickets. I was wearing regular tennis shoes and he greets me with “Dude, you aren’t wearing high tops?” I look at him strangely and say “No, is a b-ball game breaking out later?” He says, “Um, I’ll tell ya later.”
    I have never seen so many completely wasted people at a sporting event. And I was one of them so I’m not throwing stones. I went to the bathroom in the first Q and at halftime. No problems. Probably the early part of the 4th Q (mighta been late 3rd) I go to take my last piss of the game. I walk into the bathroom. I am now literally walking through 3-4 inches of piss on the floor. Every Raider fan had high tops on. My ankles are all wet. It was an ugly display of human indecency. And my friend never got back to me about the shoe-thing. Wasted too.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm

TedSpe, here is where you can do a George Carlinesque riff on “piss”: what a pisser, how pissed off, piss on it, pissed (Brit for drunk), pissing down rain (again, Brit), piss on it, etc. DJLoo, king of the one-liners, can chime in. Anyway, that is like so totally gross, as a college student might put it. My friend [nameless here], a female, famously (in our circle) lifted her dress and took a leak in the parking lot of Yankee Stadium in 1971. And she was sober. And I was a gentleman and turned away. (Why “take a leak?” and not “leave”?)

I’ve never been to a 49ers or Raiders game; only pro football game was Dolphins at Bills. Yawn. And football great Andy Robustelli of my hometown went to our church when I was a kid. (But I already said that only a few weeks ago.) That’s about the most football talk you’ll get from me.

• snarkk said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Makes me want to go right out and get me some Raiduh ducats.
      Sheesh…

33. stixwiz said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Washington’s major offseason acquisition was Werth it tonight, for the giants as well as for the Nats as he clocked a three-run dinger against Joe Saunders and was instrumental in their other run as well.

Now a game outta first and lookin to some home cookin featuring sweetener from Cain and treats from Timmy. Team may be developing a one-two punch based on Panda and Belt. If Beltran gets his head around being part of the show its all to the good. Edlefsen coming up and contributing was a most pleasant surprise. That takes a chunk of the sting outta losing Romo and Wilson for a spell.

Snakes are shuddering now. Some days ago i posted that they may be peaking a bit early. Could be the case. Like Twin has pointed out on more than one occasion and some of us have also noted at times, Arizona simply does not have the pitching to compete at the upper levels. They got snake-bit in Philly and Atlanta and now their vaunted offense has withered on the vine in urination’s capitol.

Still wanna see Eric Surkamp get the call if Sanchez is not yet ready to start. Runzler needs to work on something, but preferable at the minor league level and during the offseason.

• zumie said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Runzler can’t be trusted anymore with anything important this season. If they want to use him for mop-up duty in a blow-out loss, fine. But the Giants don’t get blown out very often.

34. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Runzler, if you guys forgot, is the guy who can’t throw to first base. HEAD CASE. And walking everyone is another sign that he’s not ready in the head. I’m not saying he’s not trying or not working, but there are some mental things happening with him. A good sports psychologist should be able to fix that……
    4 hours, 20 minutes till tomorrow. We might pick a couple of games up just with the clock striking midnight……

35. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm

by the way, I am kicking around some dates for a Flap Game Party somewhere on the Peninsula in the next few weeks. If you live in the area, and you’re somewhat sane, hit my email and I’ll tell you the time/date/place……bigflavor77@gmail.com

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:47 pm

you know that’s dangerous to throw out there for a guy like me; if any of the preseason BBs are there, I may have to book a flight

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Did you all hear about this? When the Rays were in a slump, Joe Maddon (my doppelganger, says one friend) told his team they weren’t having enough fun, told them to loosen up, skip practice, etc. (I don’t know what he said, I was hearing this third-hand on dreadful Yahoo Sports Radio). And then they won something like five in a row capped by a big comeback and Damon walkoff yesterday. Apparently, Maddon showed up at the press conference wearing a football helmut. Must be footage somewhere. They’re my fave AL team, despite their fans and their stadium and their state.

37. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Pawlie– I can see the Maddon comparisons especially if you wore those thick glasses I’ve seen him wear….
    I never would have seen this if you hadn’t prompted me to find this. Ummmmm. This dude is amazing. He’s flappelious and flaptabulous in this clip……..

• SanDawg said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:10 pm

What a stud. I finally have someone to take Cito Gaston’s place as my favorite other-team’s manager!!

38. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:10 pm

The AZ offense is not significantly better than last year, it was good then, it’s just a tenth of a RPG better this year. The difference HAS been the pitching- mediocre but way better than last year, especially in the pen. I’d give more numbers but it just causes strife. I’m correct and we’ll leave it at that…
    Haven’t seen the report, but it seems the MRI was clean, no newbies, no growth, minimal edema. Do it all over in a couple/three months. Thanks as always for all the well wishes…

• stixwiz said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Great news Twin! Now you can enjoy that home cookin.

• SanDawg said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Totally agree….and great news about the scan Twin

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Hey tf, I didn’t see the post about the MRI until a few minutes ago…great news on the clean scan…I don’t know why but out of all of the flappers/splashers-you’re like the big brother that won’t brook any shit (HAH!)…be well Codger

BTW, ‘Flappers’…IDK how much cross-traffic we have between the two blogs but I gotta say, these are totally divergent places to hang…this is like sitting at a pizza parlour after practice talking shit about everything and on JDR it’s like hanging at the beach before zooming back TO practice…

• twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Big new crop of trolls and doomers there now. I post there more as my duty these days ;-)..
        I should be off the decadron in about 3 weeks, then I need another surgery- not cancer related. If all goes well I should be actually on my feet and able to get out and ABOUT again- it’s been over 5 years, my friend. I’ve been close before, maybe I knock the door down this time.

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Too many jaggoffs there any more…especially this one cat that keeps giving me shit-essneff-love to meet him for a *talk*

Cool, chemo sux and are you talking about your motor issues when you mention more surgery? I’d like to invite you down the hill to Kenwood Bar & Grill…think on it

That’s what doors are for-opening-keep the faith

• twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I haven’t had chemo for the brain tumors at all…I had chemo for the lung tumor, it was too big for the minimally invasive surgery I had insisted on- that was summer 2 years ago. It worked. l also had chemo for the NHL a few years ago- I’ve just had a few things I’ve drawn the line at- the full monte on the lung cancer( thoracotomy), whole brain radiation, and now, not another craniotomy.The NHL is in remission now.. but it can come back even years later. Not even thinking on that one/
        No the surgery is for what has become a humongous hernia- as long as I’m on the steroid they can’t operate, it hinders wound healing. I’ve basically been a fucking wreck 😉

39. unca_chuck said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Flav, I didn’t see too much of that the last few games I’ve been to, and I’ve sat all over the stadium the last few years, but I don’t go nearly as much as I used to. To tell you the truth, and I ain’t being racist either, most of the latinos I saw were with their kids. Sure, there are drunken assholes. There are at every game, but security is on that shit pretty quick.

40. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Football is totally a TV game now, IMO, especially the NFL. Your couch is a better viewing spot than even the broadcast booth, Unless it’s a business deal, there’s not a reason in the world to go to a pro football game.

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I took my girlfriend, her nephew and his best friend to a Chargers v Ray-duhs game two years ago…

NEVER going back to Oaktown unless it’s with three or four buddies built like me…too fucking dangerous

• SanDawg said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm

My “totally agree with Twin” post was meant go here—-although ur take on The D-backs offense sounds reasonable as well (GASF)

• twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:12 pm

It must be the dye they inject for the MRI, I’m unusually reasonable for several hous after each MRI..

41. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Twin: that’s flaptabulous news. Yes, I know how gay it is that I’m using that made up word over and over.
    Sandy: I liked my analogy a little better but I’m totally feelin’ that and as JDR should know, I totally support his blog mostly because I think he has a great take on this team and the Splashers who have migrated there are the best the Splash had to offer…..
    I’ve had a couple of beers and San Diggity Dawg is prodding me via email to set the Flapper TV game up over Labor Day weekend. There’s a decent chance I’m going to be in town that weekend, as he will be. WillieD, you live here and you and he could have a boyfriend basketball talk that would rival anything seen in gay porn, even in Europe. (Implied gay ass smiley face?). Seriously, I am happy to set up a game at a bar. It’s a thousand times easier than going to a game. I’ve got a couple of spots picked out to make it easy to go if you are in SF or San Ho. Checking on availability right now. Labor Day Weekend. Doosh-backs. Hey, why not?

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Is Stanford Pub still open? I loved that joint!

• Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

ha! that’s awesome. There’s a new facebook page (NEW, not the old one, that one has viruses and ads all over it) that says “you know you’re from Palo Alto when…” and then everyone posts all their Palo Alto memory shit. Stanford Pub is a big hit on that page as is Pudley’s.
        I scored my first beer with my fake ID at Stanford Pub. Good Times…….

• SanDawg said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I ain’t setting foot in no Stanford Pub!! (Unless WillieD is there of course)

42. Flavor said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:03 pm

and no, it closed down about 15 years ago and it’s changed names/restaurants about 12 times (no joke) since then……

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Bum deal!…I loved that place…great hot wings, super jukebox and the waitresses, always were *friendly*…where do you have in mind?

43. stixwiz said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Looking ahead: Patrick Reusse of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune has the handle on the Twins. That team has gone south steadily lately, largely due to poor starting pitching but also resulting from key injuries to their two superstars, Mauer and Morneau. In today’s column he opines a “see you” to Michael Cuddyer, Minnesota’s 33 y.o. super versatile outfielder, second-sacker, first-baseman. Reusse explains that the Twinks’ bigger needs are for a fireballing starter ~ a #1 and for at least one more reliable for their rotation. Besides Cuddyer, Reusse, probably speaking for team insiders, also expects Jason Kubel to go the Free Agent route. While Cuddyer is a good, steady all-around performer, Kubel is known more for his pop ~ not bigtime power, but he is a threat.

So take a flyer on Cuddyer and/or check out Kubel? Cuddyer’s name has come up before on this blog as somebody for the Giants’ want-list. 33 may be a bit young for Bochy’s taste, but he might not be hard getting used to. He’d go for about $9M/year, Reusse speculates. Kubel would come cheaper and is a bit younger. Without checking out his stats, my recall is that he is one of those guys who may not have the really high BA, but has decent pop.

Unless and until Beltran comes around and proves with his stick that he really wants to stick north of the Stick; a two or three year contract at $15M+ per season looks a bit dicey to me. Two years at $20M with a team option for a third season for Cuddyer’s services might be a decent option.

44. SanDawg said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:31 pm

…sort of laughing at the thought of a DUI checkpoint near the exit of a Charger game. I’ve never gone to a Florida/Georgia football game, but I’ll put any Charger game up there for the title of “World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.” EVERYONE there has a drink in their hand. Any dead ball and there is music cranked. All the women are dressed in their tightest, skimpiest outfits. If ur under 35 and single it is well worth the $120 for a crappy seat. You hardly see any kids there. There are probably upwards of 10,000 cars leaving the parking lot with someone legally drunk behind the wheel.

45. TedSpe said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

twin=good news
    pawlie=nice “piss” riff

46. twinfan1 said, on August 22, 2011 at 9:57 pm

The two San Jose guys to really watch now are Tommy Joseph and Adrianza, Tommy had started out smoking hot, then slumped terribly.He’s bonced back, is now at 20 HR 85 RBI. Hew’s the kid described as having light tower power.. Could be the guy they move Buister for, or he’s a 1B candidate by 2013.
    Adrianza, lo and behold, is starting to hit- over .300 now with a mid .800s OPS, damn good in any league for a slick fielding SS. Joseph is just 20, Ehire 22…
    Tiring day, night all.

• Sierra Nevada said, on August 23, 2011 at 6:23 am

Its great that your test news was good, twin.