August 23rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 23, 2011

I went to a wedding years ago where the bride’s dad got drunk and by about the middle of the reception he was running around to everyone he could find and screaming “July 28th!!!!!”.  Most people didn’t know what he was talking about. It turned out that was his birthday and he was inviting everyone to to the party on his boat. As the evening wore on, my buddies and I all joined in the fray and pretty soon the entire wedding was drunk running around yelling “July 28th!!!!” to whoever was near by. The evening ending at some bar and I have this perfect image of this dude stumbling out the front door of the bar and wandering away into the night all the while mumbling “July 28th” to himself……..

The girl I took to that wedding 14 years ago, who’s married with a couple of kids now, will still send me a random text every year or so that simply says “July 28th”. I respond in kind…….

Without quite the purpose and repetition as Mr July 28th himself, I give you the following battle cry:

“August 23rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Not sure what this is an ad for but it’s a place in Wisconsin…….

Finally, that day is here. Who knows if we win tonight. That’s not the point. The point is that we have broken through to the other side. A 12 game homey. The rest of the way we play teams who are under .500 and I am lumping Arizona in there because I think they peaked and are going to continue their spiral downward for the rest of the way. Not to mention, we are getting healthier………

I’ve got no idea if we have what it takes to advance past the first round in the playoffs. As I’ve patiently pointed out many times, we are missing all the fire power from last year. But if Beltran starts hitting and Huff and Pablo stay hot, who knows? Cabrera could be last year’s Renteria. So could, gulp, Tejada.

By the way, none of us ever went to that birthday party or ever saw Mr. July 28th ever again. Maybe the equivalent here happens and we miss the playoffs. All I know is that if it’s ever gonna happen for us this year it starts today. August 23rd. I’m extremely confident and positive today. Bring it……

And by the way, my *list* of fans who have given up on this year has been torn up and thrown away. If you were on board last year you’re on board this year. I might have to strap your screaming ass into your seat but you are coming along for this ride. And this ain’t no bus you’re on a goddamn F-16 cause if you’re a Flapper you got wings and today it’s “2-flaps Up” baby……

And here’s an update on the Flap Get Together I am planning. As of right now it will either be Sept 3rd or 4th. Sat is a 6pm game, Sun is a 1pm game vs the Doosh backs in our yard and I fully expect to have a firm grip on first place when we play them. It will be somewhere on the Peninsula between San Jose and SF. E mail me if you are interested in attending and if one day is better than the other for you. Right now, it’s me and San Dawg. I am keeping the details of it in email since there are lots of unknown people who read this blog and never post. But all of the regs are invited. WillieD, I can tell you San Dawg is simply bursting for you to attend this……. bigflavor77@gmail.com

1. twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

So far, all are “yea” except Loo, who gives them a 30 percent shot and Doomin’ Denny, who won’t commit.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I won’t commit? How many times have I said, “wake me when it’s Game 1 of the NLDS?” Now, if Game 1 of the NLDS doesn’t include any orange or black, my favorite color will now be pink. And I’ll be demanding that color is on team-wide slips…

2. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I can’t speak for the rest of you Flappers, but like Kruk and Flem have intimated of the telecast, it’s a beautiful night at the yard, and it’s a beautiful night right here in Del Mar’s barn. I wouldn’t mind an extra zephyr or two, but all in all, it’s a nice night here in my hometown of Pinole. Hope you guys are enjoying the fantastic summer weather as well.

Now let’s score some goddamn runs!

3. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

omg. rowand. bouncer to short. who knew?

4. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Aaron Rowand smokes pole that would make Sir Edmund Hillary proud.

5. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hey Sandy, this guy Latos is throwing a no hitter. Can you believe it? My god man this guy for the Pads hasn’t allowed a hit. Unfucking believable NO HITS.

• Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Oops, Ok, this guy Latos has a one hitter going AND no runs, can you believe it?

6. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Just looked it up….Koufax did not allow any HRS in his only ’66 WS appearance. The last batter he faced was Curt Blefary. The last homer he allowed was hit by Curt Flood.

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Where did you look this up?

Basbeall ref sez:

“In the 1966 World Series, Johnson earned the distinction of being the last person to get a hit off of Sandy Koufax.”

• DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

You said a homerun. BTW, Etchebarren not Blefary was the last batter he faced.
        RALLY!!!

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Would have sworn it was home run in the text…old single-malt can do that to me…

7. twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Koufax last pitched in game 2 of the 1966 World Series. He did not give up a HR to anyone in that game.

8. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Dang.

9. Flavor said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I’ve got some shit going on tonight at the house and I just saw it’s 4-0. Big fucking deal. Latos is a humongous fuck who saves his best ass-fuck jobs for us. I can dig that by not caring one fuck about it. August 23rd is not about a single GAME, it’s about a period of the season. It’s about change. It’s about of state of being. Only to the dimmest of the dim does change happen in a single moment……

10. sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Concede…Koufax lost 1-0 in game two…editors suck sometimes

• SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Concede!!! I was just ready to back you and dig in for the fight on this one. I’m dropping everything and getting to the bottom of this right now.

• DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:52 pm

6-0, Sandy.

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I’ll never do the wiki again…that’s where I went for the score

• SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Alright, alright, my bad….I fucked up the trivia question, though I’ve heard and read that claim on the internet more than once.

11. SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Guzman reverts to form!!

12. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

That’ll work.

13. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Not small ball but clown ball.

14. Flavor said, on August 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

And because I must bounce now I have only been able to skim the Sandy *world series from the 60’s* responses. My inclination is this: Sandy is a genuine guy who I read without fail every time I see a post from him, whether it’s here, JDR’s blog, Splash, US Constitution, whatfuckingever. If he says it he means it, he didn’t make it up. Now, could he be wrong? Absolutely, the same number of times a day all of us are. Ok, I’m out. Fuck Latos. And I really mean that, I do not like that guy. He has the single worst organized tattoos that the human body has ever seen….

15. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Blanks looks as big as Frank Howard…

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Aaron Rowand wouldn’t even be worth the effort to make the 11:00 news. But he needs to go away. He would not be missed, there would be no AMBER ALERT when he went missing. Just a shitload of LQTMs.

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Maybe if Beltran and Cave Boy could gut it out like Sandoval, we wouldn’t have to see Rowand..

17. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Can’t wait to see how Sabean disposes of Rowand & Zito in the offseason…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Two giant Persian rugs on garbage day would work for me…

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Bad throw by Kepp, but a real MLB catcher handles that ball. Problem is, our real MLB catcher is relegated to changing the diapers on his newborn twins.

You know what’s coming next, we deserve to lose with this shit.

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:18 pm

That was a tough hop, and tough play for any MLB catcher. It’s on Kepp all the way.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm

a tough play, yes, but a play nonetheless that woulda been made by an adroit catcher. We have nothing but bologna and Limburger in our deli counter. And you know no one ever buys that shit…

19. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I never saw a pitcher like Koufax. Not Gibson, not Juan, not Nolan and hell, not Timmy (although Timmy is close). He didn’t intimidate guys inside or whatever, he just pitched his heart out. and arm off
    That curve looked like 95 falling off the table WHILE he was stretched halfway to home. I know I was a kid but the 60s had so many great players and that was when the All-Stars really mattered to me. I mean, most of guys are in the Hall.
    I do have a pretty good Shawn Estes and Koufax story if you guys want to be bored by that sometime.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:18 pm

You got a personal Estes story? Bring it on, Bozo. I loved that lefty. Not so much now as he speaks on the pre and post-game shows, but I’d love to hear your story. Lemme refresh my cocktail and cozy up to the fire…

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Estes? HOF Head case…

• Flavor said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm

absolutely the crap I would expect you to post, Twin. Really, it’s sad that you decide to carry some torch of racism against the Latin guys on this blog. You’re taking a completely misguided cause that’s actually pretty supportable globally but it’s the wrong focus group…….

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Estes was a head case. Doesn’t have shit to do with anything or anyone else.

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I think you’re trying to say that I’m accusing some of racism against Latinos. You didn’t put that very well, Some might think you’re accusing me of racism. But mine was a pretty simple post that simply said that Estes was a head case. And indeed he was.

• Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I used to have really good Club seats. One night after 9/11, Corey Busch and his daughter (she was the bat girl for the Giants before 9/11, they wouldn’t let her on the field after that. Not sure if it had to do with 9/11 or that she was Corey’s daughter) were sitting in the corp seats in front of me. So I chatted up Corey on the Giants about his years with the Giants somehow we end up talking about Estes. Now, Shawn had been pitching well but then did the classic lefty shit and didn’t have a clue. So I asked Corey why the Giants didn’t hire Koufax to work with the kid (Koufax had worked with a lefty for the Mets and helped him that year). Busch told me Sandy was still contracted with the Dodgers and they would never let him help the Giants. Then he pointed to his daughter and said she gave Estes a book on Koufax. Estes was lights out while he read it, but he lost the book somewhere on the road and starting sucking. I told them “Get him another book” and they BOTH just shrugged. I think that was also the year where Estes blew it as a base runner in the playoffs, although, no story of Koufax would have told him to just sit down on the base even if his foot was broken
        So not a personal Estes story, only a story where others were worried about the kids head. What a curve that fuck had, huh Dennis?.

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I answered my own question waiting for you, Bozo…here it is and not far from the story you just wrote…

• willieD said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm

and the story is that because koufax didn’t like hitting people, he wouldn’t throw at marichal…so roseboro did.

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I was at Game 7 of the ’65 Series. The 3-hit shut out on 2 days rest. Awesome.

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Cool post…what’s the tie-in?

• snarkk said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I never saw him in person, but I saw Koufax on the Game of the Week and All Star Games back when I was totally into ball as a kid. I remember that Hook. Yeah, Nolan had one, and so did Blyleven. I saw those on TV, too. But, noooobody had a drop like Koufax. Nooobody. If he could face Squatty for one AB, it would be just, well, criminal. If I have to choose one LHP to win WS Game 7, it’s Koufax…

20. Flavor said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:15 pm

well I’m not bored by that post, in fact it’s POTD. You were sayin’?

21. SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm

(Judge Smales voice) “Well………WE”RE WAITING!!”

22. SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Funny, but I’ve heard of J Sanchez referred to as “The Latino Shawn Estes.”

23. willieD said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm

actually kruk, all this dl bs is a sign of the apocalypse, as kuiper is f-ing with him.
    one day some millionaire is going on the DL while being paid, for pulling something by wiping his ass with the wrong hand.

24. SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I knew a guy who was in San Bruno (or somewhere in those parts) the night Estes got arrested or near-arrested for helping himself to a bike, hopping on and then off–letting it “ghost ride” into a parked car of something like that. Anyone remember that story? Estes was just starting with SFG and might have also mouthed off to the cops. I think he ended up face down on the pavement with a boot on the back of his neck. I know my credibility is at an all-time low after the Koufax trivia debacle, but that is a memory I have.

25. willieD said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:32 pm

seriously, how does a grown man who has been playing baseball for 15 yrs or more give himself a concussion by sliding into a base? sounds like something out of wile coyote and the acme baseball co.

• SanDawg said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Maybe someone slapped down one of those Acme “instant holes” as Whitey was approaching second.
      I’m off to bed, but will check for Bozo story in the am.

26. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm

As trade deadline acquisitions go, Beltran at the moment is in Sidney Ponson territory.

• Flavor said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm

maybe Jason Marquis territory, but I’m just trying to keep you current. Actually, *current* for my man Loo is anything from 1970 onward. God dammit Loo, come out to California for the Flap Party. I won’t pay your air fare but i will cover your room and board. No good? Pawlie has recent emails wanted to hook up a what-up in the Brooklyn area……………..

• DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm

You’re not gonna stick me in a dresser drawer, are you?

• sandy32koufaxsandy said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

But it’s a Farbin!

• snarkk said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Why is Beltran rehabbing in Aruba?…

27. Flavor said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Bozo will deliver this story. He’s legit, and probably typing right now. I’m bummed THE CLOWN isn’t gonna be on the West Coast for the Flapper Meet and Greet, 2011………

• Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Dude, I’ll call in, if you guys don’t mind. I’d love it, hell I’d do a Skype thing if you want to.

28. paulinasia said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:45 pm

All the talk about a Flapper get-together sounds like fun for ya’ll there. I was also going to mention that I’ll be back in the Bay Area for about a handful of days/nights in mid-to-late October….. playoffs time… would be great to aim for another meet-up then, as the Giants are defending their championship (so, to answer the earlier question about SF in the playoffs, obviously that’s a yes from me….

29. paulinasia said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm

30. willieD said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm

good. I think this guy is the one I would most want to see SF f- up. That ball was cracked…does this chump still have that stache like some movie star out of the 40s?

31. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Rowand doesn’t even hit fat pitches hard anymore…

32. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

33. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hec of a hit!!

34. zumie said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

The kid!

35. willieD said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm

and black don’t have adams to bring in any more either.

36. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:57 pm

August 23rd and we have a ball game!

37. Macdog said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm

O my!

38. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm

YES again.

39. zumie said, on August 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm

The old guy!

40. TedSpe said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Well spank my ass and call me Trudy!!!

No…really

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

My sister spanked my ass and called me Trudy once …ah, never mind.
      In all honesty, I don’t really have a sister. But if I did, I think I’d like it if she spanked my ass and called me Trudy once…once! 😛

41. twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

That pen without Adams is just not the same..

• TedSpe said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Gomez?

• zumie said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That name was banned, I think.

• TedSpe said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

It’s cool if it’s precluded by Adams. Preferably Addams but still…

• Macdog said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Dammit, Twin, you beat me to that. It was really noticeable last week when the Pads played the Mets.

42. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I didn’t know that it was “San Diego gives away a free game bobblehead night.”
    I hope the patrons didn’t wait too long in line…

43. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:11 pm

OK, 9th inning. It’s 0 – 0 now and I like our odds.

44. paulinasia said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Not to take credit for anything, but nice to see that my little “yes” vote above provided a little spark for the guys…. :p

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:20 pm

You don’t bring in your de facto closer in a NON-save situation.
    Now, a myriad of our pen guys could have been the de facto closer tonight.
    I’m just trying to further hammer home my fucking point.

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Most wouldn’t want to hammer home an idiotic point.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm

an “idiotic point” that just comes home to roost more than the Swallows at Capistrano each and every year.

I’m right, you’re WRONG. Accept that little fact and move along sonny…

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Yeah, every manager in baseball is wrong and Birthin’ Doomin’ Denny is right..

• zumie said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Sure, Dennis, you’re right and the whole baseball world is wrong.

46. paulinasia said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yeah, I thought that point was already hammered out of existence. Since there is no de facto closer, it’s even more …. moot….

• DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm

You mean mootless…

• twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I give you a 30 percent chance of being right…

47. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

August 23 it ain’t over till it’s August 24. Wait I take that back, it is August 24 here. It ain’t over till Dennis sings?
    I hate Ramirez

48. twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Quite the spirited AB from Beltran in the 8th..

49. TedSpe said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Oh well.
    I think blade said it best when he said…pffft
    Whatever.
    Keep on rocking!
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

50. DJLoo said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Smoke ’em if you got’em…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm

The 1/4 pole? I got your 1/4 right here.

Listen here my equine friend. That filly I was touting you the other day ain’t no joke.
      SPARE CHANGE. Look for it in jacket pockets, your sofa cushion, or if need be, beg for that shit on the street. Have any SPARE CHANGE? I’ve already made up a sign and am handing out my cup…can ya SPARE some CHANGE?

51. Bozo said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm

The Giants are 0 and 1 since 8/23, So what? It’s just the start of the season. Or as Ted says “It’s just August”. Get em tomorrow Giants.

52. willieD said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm

“…belt pleading his case..” uh, try using the bat to do that next time, son instead of leaving it up to a clueless ump..
    I don’t have an issue with belt playing, anytime anywhere. but really, it’s less what he has done than extended suckitude by those he’s in competition with and all the injuries. The called third strikes are annoying…yes, less annoying than watching others, but you aren’t going to take anyone’s job that way.

• snarkk said, on August 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I wouldn’t rip Belt too much on that one. His spot is meaningless unless he gets on base. He’s trying to get on board. Looked like a ball to me. That ump wasn’t going to give him a break, after Belt bitched at him earlier in the game. Umps remember and will take you down, especially rookies that make a fuss….

53. snarkk said, on August 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Giants gotta play better D. When you’re hurtin’ and people are out, you can’t afford to bobble and wobble and throw wild pitches. Keppinger’s earlier throw to home was pretty close to routine, he blew it and cost a key run. And Cain, I dunno. Just another one of his occasional less-than-stellar outings where he gives up a mistake HRs and hits when ahead on the count. Ramirez? Ugh. Go after ’em tomorrow is about it….

54. twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Save it, that’s as close to reasonable as Snarkk gets…
    Belt? It was a strike, but good to see him with a little spark…
    Beltran: get your pussy ass out there-tomorrow…

55. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 11:16 pm

After watching the replays, and listening to the postgame show, we deserved to lose tonight. Sorry. Our Giants didn’t perform well enough tonight to garner a W. As much as you and I wished for it, the Giants played a sub-standard game. Three errors? And those were just the ones that will go down in the box score.

August 23? Ha! I guess it’s gonna have to be August 24. And it’s gonna have to start with Timmy on August 24. And Timmy needs to send a goddamn message right off the bat. What kind of message? A message that would make Sal “The Barber” Maglie proud. The Padres leadoff hitter tomorrow? If I were him, I’d think about some more insurance…Hit Somebody!

56. twinfan1 said, on August 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm

“They deserve to lose”..Birthin’ Denny’s latest spiel…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Are you saying the Giants played well enough to win tonight? Didn’t think so.
      STFU. They deserved to lose.

• twinfan1 said, on August 24, 2011 at 9:45 am

You say it regularly now… before, during, and after games. That’s why it’s a “spiel” or “schtick”. You and Loo-igi are “nays”, you can’t post as you do you and claim to support the team on any level. Just another troll.

57. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm

“starter by committee” on Saturday? (JSanchez’ slot, against HOU)