A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Turning the Page on The (L)astros

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 29, 2011

See, the problem was, the Astros are just too bad for us to play. Now they are running around playing all their kids who are wide eyed with nothing to lose and they did all the things that most major league teams can do: work a walk, steal a bag, bunt a guy over, sac flies, stuff like that. The truth is, we don’t match up very well with a young team that has wheels. I said this last year when SD was beating us regularly: when the other team forces issues with their speed we usually play slow and cautious. And defensive. And not the good kind of *defensive*….

Now we get the Cubs. They’ve got a little bit better record than the Astros and they’ve got a different team—old, slow and overpaid. This is a team we can relate to. And really, it’s a team we can beat. Hopefully the D-backs stumble a little vs Colorado—the Rox are playing fairly inspired ball these days. And then on Friday we sink or swim. We need 2 of 3 and preferably a sweep. We lose 2 or 3 and I will stand up strong and admit I was wrong about the Giants in 2011. But let’s see what happens. Despite only splitting the series with the lowly Astros we were at least playing inspired ball. There was heart shown and that is what they had last year. Take that up another notch and who knows what could happen…….

1. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm

The way I should have put it for September MVP was “Torres and who else”?
    When he’s on second with no out- three guys get a shot to drive him in, one of them has to…

well, this sucks again.

2. Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Timmy just looked resigned to this foolishness.

3. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Fuck you Miller . . . That was a gift bounce to Cabrera – should have had a fucking DB.

4. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Cabrera fielded that like it was a lit cherry bomb…

5. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Pffffft!

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Fucking Cabrera…I know I get chastised for this comment, but it’s true…we don’t deserve to win.
    Sorry, not playing like this we don’t. And now a 3-run homer…We don’t deserve to win. Period.

7. unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Too late. Bleehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring ball ain’t gonna get it done.

8. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

uh-oh

9. Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

He’s fucking hurt. It takes bochy this long to figure this out? Whatever, we weren’t gonna score a run tonight anyway.

10. unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

If the Giants magically hit a ton of balls out and take the lead, then they deserve to win, Denise.

Deserving to win or lose is based on the score you redundant fucking fool.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm

“Denise?” Well I must say that’s better than “Mr. Clean” and some of your other offbeat and unorthodox nicknames you use for our Giants. Maybe you should stick to calling me names. Don’t worry, I’m a big boy. I can take it.

I’d rather have your comments be relevant and updated than be obscure and unimportant. Notice I didn’t ask for you to try and make your comments to be funny. I don’t believe in miracles.

11. Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm

That’s 2 gms in a row where Crawford contributes more than Cabrera if he’s playing ss. When Dewitt bombs Timmy you know there’s something wrong. He’s missing his next start, maybe a DL trip

• blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Agree Flav . . . His entire game is based upon getting max. leg extension in his windup. Groin could be a week, a month, a season. Not good regardless.

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:06 pm

The pitches were up after the incident with his leg, and a lot of the off-speed stuff started hanging.

12. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Chuck, I was so pissed at Miller making excuses for Cabrera that I wrote DB instead of DP 🙂

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Heh heh heh. Yeh, these guys are killing me . . .

13. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Poor support and the error doesn’t give the pitcher a pass for EVERYTHING. He did give up a HR to the 8 hitter and walk the pitcher to start this cluster fuck…
    That is not attacking him, just some context.

• Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm

He’s fucking hurt. Or is dirrrry the only one allowed to get hurt in your book?

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Don’t start, If he’s hurt that would be catastrophic.

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

OK, I lied.In the world and the way it would be if God was smart and allowed me to runs things the best players aren’t allowed to get hurt.
        So Posey, Fruckie, Panda, Torres, Timmy, Cain, MadBum, Vogelsong, Dirty, and the entire pen are immune to injury.

14. Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Ugly. beaten on both sides of the ball. Badly.

15. San Dog said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Fuck this. I’m gonna google some pictures of DeRosa’s wife and go to bed.

Free Brandon Crawford!!!

16. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Diamondback updates are becoming irrelevant…

17. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

There is no way theyd have left him out there if they thought he was hurt

• Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Bullshit. Players lie all the time to stay in games. Did you see Timmy waving off Stewart when it happened?

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Whatever, If he’s hurt it would be awful for him and the team.

18. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Enough blame to go around – that’s for sure. Moreover, this didn’t just start today, i.e., it’s an exclamation point to what has been going on for the last couple of weeks.

19. unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm

We’re looking at the 13th straight series that the Giants have started with a loss.

20. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm

WTF is Amy rattling on about?

• DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Her twat.

21. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Edlefsen looks like he’s having an epileptic fit when he releases the ball…

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

He’s trying to respell his name . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Epilepsy is no joke my equine friend. Take it from Mr. Prospector who has had Depakote, Neurontin and Topamax as his horse pills. But screw all those pills. If i have to watch another game like tonight, I’ll be asking for the cyanide capsules soon. We suck.

22. unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm

12th . . .

23. snarkk said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Giants are hanging in this race by a thread.
    I use the word “team” advisedly. Is is a great pitching staff surrounded by a low talent group of position players that flat can’t hit and has no energy, nada. nichts; and no chemistry. They’ve stunk for a month, and nothing will improve it, unless they play some of the callups, which they won’t. Time is of the essence. They need to win the next 2 from the Cubs to have a long shot to say in it, but I doubt they can.
    Buenos noches…

24. zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I was reading on SFGate it sounds like Tejada basically jogged to first because he was upset he had been asked to bunt. I’ll be happy to say goodbye to that dude. What a dud. I don’t blame Sabean for the signing. That’s all on Tejada for having a lousy season.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

You don’t blame Sabean for the signing? You kill me. Do the Giants pay you by the hour, or are you on salary?

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I didn’t mind the signing at the time. Were you against the signing at the time?

25. unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:22 pm

One hit. Randy Wells?

• blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Actually, 2 I think.

• DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Favorite Wells: Dawn
      Lleast favorite Wells: Warren

• Macdog said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Giants couldn’t hit David Wells, Vernon Wells or Dawn Wells, never mind Randy Wells. It just doesn’t fuckin’ matter anymore who’s on the hill.

• Big flavor said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Potd.
        If timmy makes his next start I’ll eat my hat…

26. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Whatever “it” is supposed to be it started way before a couple weeks ago- it started March 30 and 31 when Wilson and Ross hit the DL
    4/6 Casilla
    9/16 Romo
    8/16 Beltran
    8/21 Wiison again/
    8/23 Dirty again
    9/27 Shierholtz

• DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Interesting that you exclude Zito…

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Absolutely, he doesn’t count.

27. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Can you name any 49ers who wore #49?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:30 pm

EARL COOPER. I wore his jersey to every Niner game when he played.

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Beat me to it . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm

No joke. And if you recall the SI cover from SB XVI were “Coop” is mid-air spiking the ball in the end zone, well, I was there. I was there in THAT end zone when he made that TD. SEC 111 ROW 45 SEAT 35. Coooooooooooop!

• blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

The Mascot?

28. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Yeah Kuip, let’s hang our hat on the Rockies pulling a win out of their ass . . . Not likely my friend.

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Hey, you think we will? The Rox at least hit once in a while.

29. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Actually Kuip, anything but 7 to go home…

30. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Pfffft!

31. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’ve been checking the tweets from the beat boys- they’re usually all over injuries midgame. So far not even a mention. I’ll keep looking.

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Randy Wells with a CG 2-hit shutout. In a word, embarrassing.

33. unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

The best game of (insert suck-ass pitcher name here) career tonight.

Stop me if you haven;t heard that 15 times in the last 2 months.

• snarkk said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Wells. First career complete game. First career shutout. Very welcoming crew, those Giants.
      Mathematically, Giants are very much in it. Mathematically.
      If Bochy ever though of kicking some ass in the clubhouse, it would be after tonite’s “effort”.
      One thing I would do would be DFA Tejada. That whole bunting episode — no excuse.
      Wow, this game was just a stinking pile…

34. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Let’s play two!

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Two what? The Giants haven’t played one yet . . .

• blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Come on Chuck . . . It’s not the end of the world. Besides, you’re probably transitioning to football already, right?

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Uh, well, I have a distinct fear that this will be a brutal football season.

• unca chuck said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

For the Niners, anyway.

11 games with no run support for TImmy?

35. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm

As I noted earlier this evening, in fairness to Wells, he pitched well against the Braves last week too. In short, give him credit – he pitched well.

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm

As long as you don’t ask us to tip our cap. (grin)

36. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I’ve never bought into the saying that “injuries are no excuse”. They’re one of the best excuses. Posey’s injury alone can be legitamately viewed as a season wrecker. And I don’t care how many games up they were without him. It caught up to them eventually.

37. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Wells for POTG I guess. Unless Mrs. De Rosa has a sister.

38. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

If you’re sitting next to a friend, parent , child or your significant other and you don’t have the urge to punch them in the goddamn throat right now — you’re not a true Giants fan.

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:57 pm

You’re either joking or completely insane.

39. James said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Mrs.James has noticed that Shawn Estes is getting a bit smoother on camera. I think she’s right. Never give up.

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I kid you not, all I remember about Estes is him stepping off secondbase in that playoff game and getting tagged out.

• James said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I confuse him with Atlee. They were the J Sanchez’s of their day.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:58 am

He broke his ankle on that play.

40. blade3colorado said, on August 29, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Preface this by saying that the Giants haven’t given too many reasons to think they will turn this around. However, the Snakes have been playing lights out, with a 7 game winning streak, going 7-3 over their last 10 games, while the Giants have gone 4-6. Still a lot of baseball to be played. More important, they still have head to head games with Arizona. Difficult? Absolutely. Impossible? No way Jose. Bring your popcorn . . .

41. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Estes is better than Bipp and the other dunces. He needs to lighten up his demeanor, though.Maybe his shirts are over starched..

42. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm

The surprise was last year not this year. We’re not due again till 2066.

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

If there can be a silver-lining to this season, maybe it causes the owners to go big in the off-season: Pujols or Fielder.

43. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm

So what’s the problem? I’ll be just 120 YO, midde aged in 2066..my 14th, 15th, and 16th wives:
    wives

44. Sportdude said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Can’t get Pujols or Fielder and keep Cain and Lincecum.

Shit this last month have been a bummer.

Never should have started a post with the word doomer in it. Just facing the facts. Can this team hit well enough over a 27 game stretch to finish 17-10, while Az goes 13-14 or so? I hope so, but it doesn’t seem likely..

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I don’t agree with that. Rowand, Huff, and F. Sanchez come off the books after next season, and Zito the season after that. Shouldn’t that help them sign Cain and Lincecum?

45. DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Stix concession speech expected at 10:30 California time…

• zumie said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I disagree with Stix that Belt was mishandled. Belt had a broken hand in the middle of the season. That derailed a big part of Belt’s season.

• DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I’m starting to think fans just fell in love with the powerful sound of Belt’s name. The bar would be much lower if his name was Phil Fluffy or something…

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Or Brett Pill.

46. twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Unfortunately, after a nice start, Crawdaddy is on the rocks, .114 last ten games.

• DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

By Giant standards, he’s on fire…

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Not your best. That .114 is too low for best effect.

• DJLoo said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Well help me out. Get in there and edit your 10:24 post before too many people see it…

• twinfan1 said, on August 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Well, he’s below the Phil Fluffy Line..