A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

How do the Fans in the Stands Watch these Games?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 30, 2011

For most people, it’s a lot of work to get to and afford going to a Giants game. Maybe some people are season ticket holders who don’t work and who have no family responsibilities, but for most fans, there’s a lot of effort put in on their part to attend a game. I continue to marvel at the number of people who keep turning out for these game. The announced crowd is clearly less than the number of fans in the stadium. But there are still a lot of fans in the stadium……

Last night I wondered how many innings over the last month the Giants have scored 2 or more runs in an inning. I don’t have the time to go through all those box scores right now but I just went through this current homestand’s box scores. We’ve played 66 innings on this current hommey. The hommey that was supposed to be the beginning of the steam roll that I saw so clearly in my mind’s eye on August 23rd. Of those 66 innings we have scored 2 runs in 3 innings. We exploded for 3 runs in one single inning—the 8th inning of game 1 of this home stand. That leaves 62 of 66 innings where we scored 0 or 1 run. And I didn’t count them up, but most of those 62 were zeroes. That is an awful lot of futility to sit through. The kids and the female fans have their panda and giraffe hats to amuse themselves with. The dudes have their beers, at least until they are turned down when the bottom of the 7th ends. There are the views and the pretty concourse to walk along. Lou Seal is there to giggle at you. Day games offer ample racks in tank tops to slyly glance in the direction of….. But after that? Not much. My hat is really off to the fans who make it out to the games, at great time and expense, to watch the utter boring failure that this offense produces game in and game out…..

They have to win the next 5 straight games or this season is toast……..

1. gianthead said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:57 am

So much for sweeping the Cubs…may have been the worst we looked all year…dark clouds on the water…or is that Bozo’s perspective???

2. ewisco said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:03 am

my dauber is definitely down. first time this season.

3. paulinasia said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:15 am

What’s a dauber, anyway? Whatever it is, seems to be a lot of daubering down lately. I’m still feeling like anything could happen in September, not quite giving up yet, but as for the daubering down thing, I was thinking about what someone here said they heard about Henry starting to think of writing the end-of-season epitaph already. A surprising thing to hear a beat writer admit with still a month to go. My thought was, he’s around the team, he sees its demeanor day by day. Almost sounds like he can see that the energy is gone and it ain’t comin’ back. At this point, I’d just like to see the team be interesting and entertaining a bit more often; that’s why I would still be going to the games if I was in such a position to do so. All those fans still going that BF opens with here today, I don’t know. I remember many times in my Boston days, going to Fenway late in the season when they were effectively out of it, but they at least still played entertaining baseball. It could still get interesting again…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:23 am

Agree with Paul . . . I didn’t “invest” 130 plus games to give up in the “last inning.” Until they are mathematically eliminated, I’m in for the entire “e ride ticket.” Down? Yes. Out? No way.

Go Giants!

• Kevin said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:13 am

Blade, show your age with that “E tickiet” ride comment! and of course since I know about it you know I am old also!! Ha ha. Anyway, agree, I have been watching/Listening to the Giants since about 1968, I endure all that time to see them win a WS, I am very thankful to have been a live to see that. After 2002 I didn’t think the Giants would get there in my life time. So yeah I will watch this to the bitter end or the thrill of victory!!

• ewisco said, on August 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

I still have some “c” tickets. I don’t think anyone saved e tickets.

4. ewisco said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:25 am

last year’s team didn’t have any quit in them. this year’s team doesn’t have the same vibe (see tejada). Also the indications that the clubhouse cleared out early last night and huff apparently disappearing after losses. I don’t think that happened last year. the next 5 games will tell the tale. If they fight back and make some progress against the dbacks, it could be a fun september. if they roll over, not so much fun.

5. DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:22 am

2010: Misfits
    2011: Hissy-fits

6. willieD said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:29 am

As is, there are only 4 teams in the league who have more Ws than Giants. Tearing it all apart now and benching/DFA ing people doesn’t make any sense. No matter how far down you get, it’s what you do about it that counts. Look in the mirror and be a professional. Hey, after that embarrassing L to the Yanks, the A’s responded and whipped Red Sox.
    Knapp has a column today in Chron that points to July 28, after second win in Philly, when SF was 4 games up on AZ, and looks forward to S 1 call ups and return of Burrell to provide an energy boost. Lot of teams have parlayed one hot month into something big. We’ll see.
    Oh man, I shut things off after Dewitt bomb and finished reading thread this morning….Warren Wells was a beast (cliff branch too). That catch that beat Jets (?) was an amazing play. Raiders of those days, like em or hate em, had tons of exciting players (obviously on and off the field), plus the incomparable bill king.

7. Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

Play them one game at a time. Worry about the bigger issues later. Kuip over on KNBR stated it’s hard to be an optimist today.

8. Macdog said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’m not about to bail either, not when there’s 6 games left with the D-Backs. All I need to remind myself that the Giants have a pulse is to check out the Mets playing an utterly meaningless doubleheader yesterday against the Marlins.

As for the fans, this is still a team with a winning record coming off a World Series title. And there’s always the great pitching; Timmy alone remains a huge attraction. But yeah, it ain’t cheap, so kudos to all those who continue to show up in the face of this moribund offense.

9. willieD said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

Bill Baird, Jets DB on the champ team, taught PE at my HS, Fremont of Sunnyvale one spring. He brought in some film, mellow easy going guy. I was amazed how solidly built this guy was, big shoulders and all, to play that position as one of the smaller guys out there (I weighed about 110 in those days). We asked him if Sherman Plunkett was really 300 plus, and he just laughed.

10. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:59 am

“At this time last year, we were in a similar spot, but we were gaining ground, not going backward.” — Lincecum

11. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 9:06 am

Well,the good news: Lincecum isn’t injured
    Bad: I’m not sure they make edible hats. Try the Cake Boss.

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2011 at 9:27 am

I’m not certain he’s healthy at all. As I said last night, players lie about their condition all the time. He was obviously up after he had that tweak. And Lincecum doesn’t give up bombs to the 7/8 hitters very often. IMaybe it was just a tweak and that’s a good thing. But a tweak, especially for a delivery like his, can seriously disrupt his motion. He’ll probably be taking personal inventory over the next couple of days and see how he feels. If he makes his next start, it will be interesting to see if he is pitching the way he was before that hip-hop last night or if he’s pitching the way he did AFTER the tweak…..

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 9:54 am

He MIGHT be hiding an undisclosed injury, just as Wilson, Casilla, and Sanchez might have been. I hope not, players “gaming” it out rarely help the team and risk more serious injury.. but, nevertheless, if he does make the next start: Bon Apetit!
        hat

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:39 am

can’t wait. bbq sauce is standing by.

12. DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 9:07 am

At least Giant fans don’t have this problem:

I love what the security guard said…

13. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

Beltran is now at .286 , .306 OBP, .720 OPS 1 HR and the sweet number: 4 RBI in 70 AB. Half of those at bats have come with men on.
    Men on: 35 AB .257 3 RBI
    RISP : 17 AB .176 3 RBI
    2 Out RISP 0 for 5 4 strike outs
    In his 35 at bats with men on he has either struck out (8) or GIDP (6) 14 times
    He still has time to be the Big Dog they thought the were getting, and he needs to be that. Not this:
    dog

• DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

Yummy!

14. snarkk said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:01 am

Reading Baggs’ blog you get the feeling that things are uncool in the clubhouse. The chemistry there is not good. At least some “airing out” has happened, whatever that means, and for whatever good it did. Apparently no good. And, it shouldn’t be all sweetness when you’re down the dumper as a team like this.. When Bochy tells the media basically that he’s got nothin’, go talk to “them” (the players), that’s not a sign that good things are about to happen. So, I don’t even look at the Dbacks series right now. It’s much more critical than that. This team went into a coma last night — with their best pitcher up. They have to win the next 2 with the Cubs to stop circling the drain, regardless of what the Dbacks do. If they win both or even split 2, they’re still on life support, but if the Cubs sweep ’em, it’s hello Scottsdale 2012…

15. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:15 am

Bring me the head of Matt Garza.

He of the 6-10 record, and the bat-silencing 3.68 era . . .

They are ALL dogs, Mike. Well, EXCEPT for Beltran.

Last 7 days:

Ross .133
    Keppie .207
    Beltran .357
    Pablo .143
    Huff .136
    Cabbie .211
    Belt .200
    Stweie .077

Insoimniac’s row

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yeah,, doggie has been a huge asset, they definitely got what they paid for so far. He’s not driving people in, and as shown, it’s not for lack of opportunity. Plus he’s Guillen level mobility in RF. Nate (Grok is dead) was better on every level, fergawdsake..
      3.68 is pretty good ERA, Chuckles. 3.97 is the NL average for starters.

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

One week is always the benchmark for judging a player’s performance, right?
      Anyway, as said, he still has time to be the big woofer, so far he’s the wee yipper.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

Why not? What have they done lately, skippy?

Beltran has a whopping 3 RBIs over the last week. No one else has done better.

Ross – 1
        Keppie – 3
        Beltran – 3
        Pablo – 0
        Huff – 1
        Cabbie – 3
        Belt – 0
        Stewie – 0

The power surge goes on . . .

• ewisco said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

I saw garza pitch in chicago last month. he looked pretty good. he got no run support from the cubbies. the g’s will have their hands full, especially the way they’re going.

16. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

As Bennie said: You guys are definitely on my shit list!

17. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

Why wouldn’t Bochy be sick of getting the same questions every night? The reporters are practicing that false definition of insanity…
    Tejada? I seem to be the only one who actually noticed him loafing when it happend, maybe everyone was outside grilling wienies.As at least one other commenter noted: he should be released immediately. Not just for the non-hustle, but also for his remarks afterwards. That’s the first time I remember any player second guessing Bochy- and by releasing Tejada it would go a long way in making sure it’s the last.

• TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

Well, he can always say he was second guessing Wotus cuz Bochy had been ejected by then

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:44 am

I don’t think it matters, Wotus was in charge at the time. A Tejada release might gain a little more compliance but it could have an negative effect on the clubhouse chemistry. I really don’t know how Miggy is received in the clubhouse. It’s probably pretty positively.
        I’m not sure what to make of Baggs’ underlying suggestion that some players are quitting and/or not caring and that the chemistry is poor. I’m not even sure how often Baggs’ is in the clubhouse after or before a game. Didn’t I read something a few months ago about a game where he noted it was the first home game he’d been to in a month? I could be not remembering this accurately. Either way, Baggs clearly is going for riling his bloggers up with his posts. That agenda could be disguising the reality of the situation.

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

He could try that but I think it’s pretty common knowledge that Bochy directs things from the clubhouse after he’s ejected.

• Sierra Nevada said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

I didn’t see the play (haven’t seen or been able to listen to the games for the last few weeks), but the comments Tejada made afterward really struck me. Then he followed those comments up with the universally awful: “I just work here.”

Dude clearly has no clue at all.

The team is in no position to DFA anyone with a pulse right now, honestly, as a fan, I would rather see Fontenot/Crawford cover the SS position and DeRosa the utility role from here on out.

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

Actually, what better time, with the roster expanding in two days?
        And if he was disrespecting Wotus instead of Bochy, it would be a more serious transgression, not less.

• ewisco said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:41 am

at least derossa has the passion after sitting for so long. i say play the heck out of him.

• stixwiz said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

There obviously is something amiss in the clubhouse, a toxic brew. Bad chemistry. Tejada has made himself the poster boy for negative attitude. A quick hot-potato drop of that guy would be a shot across the bow which could serve as an object lesson to the others who are dogging it. Agree with Flav that essentially the team needs to sweep the remainder of the home series to stay in this thing. Yesterday, i opined the need to take five of the six. Well, we already lost #6. No more room for error.

If either of these next two go to the Cubs, i’m all for playing the kids, starting with Crawford at SS. Might as well bring up as many as possible of the better Fresno and Richmond players and find out if any of em is hungry (and skilled) enough to be considered for next season.

There is some severely dead wood on this team, who, if they are not dropped in the off-season, will seriously affect team revenues for the foreseeable future. That means ownership ultimately stands to lose more money retaining Rowand and Zito than releasing them even before the calendar year is over. Such a move would send a message to the fan-base that heads have rolled and the organization is serious about resurrecting a Championship team. Arguments can be made versus Bochy and Sabean (and frequently are on other sites), but after last year’s W.S. win their jobs most likely are quite secure. Nevertheless, Bowtie and others may make a few things perfectly clear behind closed doors. Bam-Bam is likely to hit the road as the organization’s sacrificial lamb. He will be joined by the aforementioned pair of bad contracts and several additional position players. Maintenance of the fan-base is sacrosanct to any successful organization. Steps will be taken.

18. snarkk said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

That the Giants won’t release Tejada, which I called for last night, after that bunting episode that was a form of on-field insubordination and showing up management then and in his comments, speaks a lot about the Giants. Here is a guy who is contributing little, will not be back in 2012, won’t be missed, and will never be regarded by Giants fans as a real Giant, objectively shows the public that he disrespects management and has a bad attitude — yet doesn’t get cut. If nothing else, it would make a statement to the team that management is serious about still being in the race. But, to its detriment, SF management rarely does anything that might cause it short-term embarrassment in exchange for some potential on-field improvement…

19. TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:45 am

By the way, *I’m* old but what the hell are E-ride tickets?

Last night was a bummer but I’m still on the “they take the division” team until I see the expanded September roster fucking up as well. Lincecum giving up 3 bombs last night, barring injury, was an anomoly. With this picthing staff and what’s possible with some of these hitters, evidence to the contrary at the moment, I simply can’t give up in August. It’s not like they’re 15+ games out. You may say that I’m a dreamer. But I’m not the only one. I hope someday you will join us. And the world will be as one.

20. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 10:55 am

Disneyland, Ted . . . The cool rides were the E ticket rides. The Matterhorn, and i don;t know what else . . .

Kiddie rides were A, B, and C tickets.

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I bet Chuck loved the “C” rides.

21. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:02 am

Obviously, Ted was deprived (or depraved) as a young tyke . . . Or, he doesn’t know about Disneyland. Still around, despite what Florida, France and Japan tell ya. Just take Highway 5 South and you’ll hit it eventually (circle back if you go past Anaheim).

• TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:17 am

Thanks chuck. And you’re right blade, I obviously *did* have a deprived (and depraved) childhood. I’ve *never* been to Disneyland. Ever. Still haven’t. Too poor as a child and too old and childless by the time I could afford it. But I still have a chance. My Goddaughter’s little sister will be 11 soon and I might arrange a trip some time soon.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

Go for it Ted . . . You would have a blast (doesn’t matter what age you are). Moreover, I think there is something nostalgic about Disneyland versus going to Disneyworld.

Wow! I just noticed this after typing the aforementioned and yes, you can try it on your pc too . . . I just typed out Disneyland and then Disneyworld. Word Press recognizes Disneyland as a valid word, but Disneyworld gets the red underline. Consequently, my conclusion is that there is still hope for the world, i.e., a bygone, more serene and peaceful place.

22. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:12 am

Chuck, Mike is right in regard to Garza. Don’t think he is a stiff for a second. Yeah, he is surrounded by mediocrity, but he is a good pitcher. Even in his last bad outing against Atlanta, he struck out 6 and said this:

“The stuff they were hitting, they didn’t hit me hard,” Garza said. “Everything else was jam shots or off the end of the bat. It was a good pitch to McCann, a change-up down, he went down and got it.”

By the by, he pitched a shutout against St. Louis the start before that. Garza continues to stay among the National League leaders in strikeouts and has whiffed 157 total batters in 151 2/3 innings this season. In short, he isn’t chopped liver.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

I wasn’t dissing Garza’s era. Or Garza, Blade. If you haven’t noticed, every ML pitcher these days gives the Giants fits. Look at the Stros. Bud Norris? Brett Myers (for fuck’s sake)?, JA fucking Happ? These guys are unadulterated dogs, and the Giants didn’t score jack off them. At home. Our own Sosa? He may be decent, but not how the Gants made him look. Like Randy Wells yesterday, every starter against the Giants results in the best game they have ever pitched in their career.

Snarkk, I’d think they wait til the call-ups before they jettison anyone (named Tejada).

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:12 am

I’m not happy saying it, but I’m full doomer. Did not watch the game last night, but when I saw that it went from 1-0 to 6-0 I checked out. It’s a matter of direction. The Indians would be happy to be 5 games back, with a healthy chance at improving that. We’re going the other way. I step back and say, we struggled mightily to beat the Astros, who have baseball’s worst record. We have very good pitching, but that inevitably shows cracks if we have no hitting. I do not have to prove my bona fides as a fan. I just see this as a brute reality. Here’s a case where I’d be thrilled to be wrong. But I don’t see it turning around, and i say it here only because I feel compelled to be honest, not negative. I still want the Giants to win, of course. I just don’t see reality supporting that.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

Pawlie, I got the CD today. I will probably check it out later this evening or tomorrow. Thank you very much!

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

A “doomer” is a negative Nellie 24/7. You are not being a doomer if you’ve honestly concluded it just isn’t happening this year. Now, I still think you’re wrong but you hardly need to show your “bona fides”, Pawlie.
      BTW, just got the CD, I’ll have a listen later. Thank you.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

Enjoy the CD, guys. The quality is sketchy but it is good stuff. Again, hope I’m wrong. Still love these guys. Can’t help it.

24. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:15 am

Sabean is safe. Bochy would only be in danger if this “mini” locker room discontent mushroomed, with players blatantly mailing it in and/or disrespecting him: losing the team. And of courese he’s safe if they make the play offs. Which they will, unless the single cancer cell is allowed to grow. Snarkk is right, they are extremely unikely to release Tejada, so he should “man up” with a believable apology.

25. snarkk said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

Don’t know if anyone noticed, but re: the walk off win vs. Astros last week. As the dog pile gets going, Beltran walks around the periphery of it, puts his hand in to kind of participate in the hoorah for a coupla seconds, then just quickly walks away while most everybody else still celebrates. Maybe he didn’t want to get hurt, maybe he didn’t care much, maybe he had a dinner reservation, I dunno. Look for #15; he doesn’t look too excited…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

I don’t see it snarkk . . . Did you watch the entire clip? On the reruns, he is the on deck batter and does a fist pump when we score (also has the presence of mind to tell the runner to slide). On the dog pile, he was one of many Giants still standing and showed (my perception) enthusiasm on 3 separate occasions.

Hey, everyone is different. If I’m walking on the fucked up legs he has, then no, I’m not jumping into any dog pile.

I don’t have the clip, but lack of enthusiasm was the first George Bush in a debate with Clinton, checking out his watch numerous times, his body language seemingly saying, “How much longer is this shit going to last.”

• Flavor said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

Beltran was the first dude to give De Rosa a huge high five. Also, dog piles are dumb. Maybe he realizes this?

• snarkk said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:44 am

I dunno Blade. I haven’t been down on Beltran as much as others; I didn’t want him, but he came into a pressure situation, then got hurt, maybe he’s still somewhat hurt. Anyway, from what I’ve read about his time in NY and just seeing him so far this little bit, Beltran seems like a walking corporation that happens to hit pretty well. He’s just not going to fire anybody up. He’s not Will the Thrill, Hacman, Krukow, even Uribe of last year. He’s not cut out to be the lineup leader, but unfortunately that’s why Sabean rented him…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

You’re not the Lone Ranger, as I didn’t want him either. However, I thought Sabes did a good job of not overpaying (unless Wheeler turns into the second coming of Tom Seaver). In fairness to him, he’s a “newbie” and maybe he doesn’t want to make waves with the established players. That coupled with the fact that these are World Series Champion players, his hesitancy to step lightly is understandable.

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Snarkk the thinker!

26. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

Have to agree that he seemed rather perfunctory about it all, but the rest of the group, and even more emphatically, the dugout the other day after Cabrera ( I think it was him) drove in a run with a ground out, lays to ruin the idiotic notion that this is not still an enthusiastic group.You would thought it a key WS RBI..

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:38 am

On the other hand, it might just be how he is. He always seems to show up for the press, and he’s a pretty laid back guy.

27. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:40 am

I wasn’t dissing Garza’s era. Or Garza, Blade. If you haven’t noticed, every ML pitcher these days gives the Giants fits. Look at the Stros. Bud Norris? Brett Myers (for fuck’s sake)?, JA fucking Happ? These guys are unadulterated dogs, and the Giants didn’t score jack off them. At home. Our own Sosa? He may be decent, but not how the Gants made him look. Like Randy Wells yesterday, every starter against the Giants has the best game they have ever pitched in their career.

Yes, this is a copy of something I posted earlier. It went way up the list though . . .

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:45 am

Agree with those other guys you mentioned Chuck. Not exactly stalwart pitchers. My point is that the Giants may not get off the dime tonight due to Garza being a quality pitcher. That being said, Garza is surrounded by a bunch of error prone, non-hitting players for the most part, so it’s not all doom and gloom. Put another way, a repeat of last night’s performance (2 hits) will probably guarantee a loss.

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Chuck get back to football, now!

28. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:52 am

So, Chuck, did you ever respond as to whether they’d still win the division? It’s too late to vote now, just asking if you voted on that.

29. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

Lance Berkman to the rescue? StL put him on waivers . . .

He’d be a rental, but hey, someone’s got to hit.

30. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:56 am

I said yes a couple weeks ago, Mike.

31. unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 11:56 am

Or whenever the vote was . . .

And, I’m not posting too quick . . .

32. snarkk said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This team’s hitting is so far down the dumper, I’m starting to dream of the halcyon days of Ishi and Freddles…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

“. . . halcyon days of Ishi and Freddles.”

Good one. LLTM

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Snarkk daydreaming?

33. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Garza’s had a decent year, and was quite good with Tampa. Maybe you all noticed it, I didn’t, but Wells had beaten Atlanta twice this month. So had been throwing well. I’m not saying he’s Lincecum, but he’s been performing despite his stats.

As for Beltran, Loo or some other data-miner will find that I described him as Paul Bunyan or somesuch a while before the trade. Based entirely on one brief video clip of him fielding in LA. Looked as stiff as bad 1980s animation. His lack of range in the field might be forgiven if he drove home the few runners that get on for him.

I agree with Kuip, Flemm, and Miller that this feels like a ‘must’ win tonight in terms of momentum for AZ series…

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

He’s had 70 AB, half with men on. Small sample but it’s a higher percantage of AB’s with men on than Albert Pujols.The “no opportunity” theory doesn’t wash. He also has batted with RISP at a higher percentage than Pujols.( 24% to 22%)
      Projecting his awesome RBI total here for a full season, it’s 32 RBI in 560 AB. What other players are doing is irrelevant, he’s the Big Bow-Wow. He has to start being that in fact, not theory.

34. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Huff .243 .301 .677
    Belt .224 .317 .701
    Ishi .261 .329 .715 ( that’s 2009, when he was a semi-regular. He was also better in 2010 than the incumbents are this year)
    Of course, he wouldn’t match up to the 2010 Huff, but this year’s team would be better in every way if he hadn’t hurt his shoulder and had taken over first with (pick ’em) Audrey or Brandi in left. They’d be 5 games better on his defense alone.

• TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m getting slow in my old age. You wrote Brandi yesterday as well and I didn’t know who the hell you were talking about until just now.
      Speaking of old age, this made me feel ancient. Today’s Peggy Lipton’s 65th birthday.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Solid, Linc’!
        ________________________________
        “Today’s Peggy Lipton’s 65th birthday.”

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Compared to Brandi (or Audrey), Mr. Clean is the cleverest nickname out there . . .

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Actually not, Those are extremely appropriate as to their batting prowess this year. And this critique was brought to you by Mr. “Huffy”, “Keppy”, and “Stewie”..

35. Kevin said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Everyone needs to go to the Happiest place on Earth at least once!! go for it Ted!! And definitely with the 11 year old, she will also have the time of her life.

36. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Peggy is 65? I could learn to like older women 😉 Nappy time…
    peggy

37. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I think it was Capote who once said that Jacqueline Susann ” looked like ‘a truck driver in drag.'” She threatened to sue if he didn’t apologize so he did- ” “to truck drivers everywhere.”
    In that vein, I apologize to Brandis and Audreys everywhere…

38. snarkk said, on August 30, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Ted, I took the Snarkettes a coupla years ago to Disneyland for the first time when they were 8 and 10. They basically threatened to disown me and their mother since virtually all their friends had already gone, many of them multiple times. Yes, four days of pure joy and a cash drain at Disneyland and the California Adventure Park. Although the Snarkettes seemed to like the hotel pool just as much. My fav part was a special (= costs a sack of cash) lunch with the Disney Princesses at Ariel’s Grotto. The food was just OK, but all the Princesses were great. And damn — that Belle from Beauty and the Beast was an absolute hottie! If you go Ted, beware of the “It’s a Small World” boat ride that goes round and round inside a weird white structure in Fantasyland. That song is played continuously for the entire time you are on the boat ride. You WILL go temporarily insane. I’ve been to Disneyworld, seems almost too big there, too much. We were with a big group, including my wife’s step grandpa. He’d been in the Army in France in WWII, a man of few words. When we were walking through the faux French village in Epcot, I asked him if it reminded him of France. “Yeah, kinda, except a bunch of pricks were shooting at my ass”. I almost fell over laughing…

39. Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Disneyland talk? I know the season is over here. Lets get back to Citizen Kane.

• unca_chuck said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Beats the hell out of whatever it is you do here, Nippy.

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Chuck, what’s wrong with your niners? Come on guy tell us the “real story.”

40. TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Wow. I guess I’ll *have* to be going to Disneyland now after this uber-Flap buildup. I’ll bring it up with the kid’s parents. The Goddaughter’s been there twice and for some reason I had conflicts both times. She just turned 16 so I’m thinking she may have other priorities right now.

41. TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Ed O’Neill just got his Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    It’s in front of a shoe store. I shit you not.

42. DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I never wanted to go away on vacation as a kid. The gutters, schoolyards, alleys, and rooftops were 1,000 times more fun than waiting on line to see a child molester dressed as a rodent.

• TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 3:17 pm

You have a point. Where I grew up you didn’t *have* to wait in line to see a child molester dressed as a rodent.

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Loo in a gutter? Face down or face up?

43. Kevin said, on August 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

To Nights line up

Torres CF
    Keppinger 2B,
    Beltran RF,
    Sandoval 3B,
    Huff 1B,
    Belt LF,
    Fontenot SS,
    Stewart C,
    Vogelsong P

44. zumie said, on August 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Well, there’s no doubt there would be clubhouse chemistry issues. The biggest problem would be Huff’s off-year. There’s no way Huff can be the lead-dog, clubhouse rabble-rouser when he’s struggling so much. And with so many new guys, and so many hitters on the team struggling, no one wants to needle each other with humor, so that whole element of clubhouse humor is probably gone. Ultimately, it’s their job to play baseball no matter what’s going on. Not much magic these days, just guys showing up to work.

45. zumie said, on August 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm

As for the fans coming to the games….it’s still a beautiful walk along the Bay to the ballpark. And there’s always the chance to be there when the team’s turnaround starts, if it happens. The Giants are the reigning champs, even if they get knocked out of the playoffs. We’re champs until someone else wins the World Series. And as it has been said at the Flap by some of y’all, this season ain’t over for the Giants yet.

46. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

With the *possible* exception of Beltran, that was a pretty enthusastic looking dogpile for a bunch of guys just showing up.

47. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm

re: callups, per Schulman, “Sabean: Gary Brown will NOT come up this September. Pill maybe if they can find 40-man spot.”

48. Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Gary Brown is single A. Those guys never get called up. People demanding that on talk shows were a hoot.

49. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm

It’s ignorant shits like Soph who are screaming for Brown. If they had any intention of fast tracking him, he wouldn’t have stayed in A ball all year.

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Soph is crying about a sad reality for the current Giants on the Splash. It’s getting wet over there.

50. TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Speaking of soph, that’s the first person I thought of when I saw this:

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:29 pm

. . . and on reflection, you then thought of us, right?

🙂

• TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Well, not *all* of us

51. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Hey, I admit it . . . Every hour I spend here, is one less hour I spend on the por . . . uhh, scratch that.

52. big flavor said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:20 pm

How many runs behind do we get before you throw in the towel and go do something else? If I can watch the entire game, I usually do. But when we get down 3-4 runs I have this feeling like I’m just watching to keep track of the guys, look for something positive to happen, that kind of stuff. Last year we had so many guys who we could count on for a late inning bomb to tie/win the game. Uribe. Burrell. Posey. Huff. Torres. Any of those guys would have and did come through late in a game. Now? Maybe Pablo. That’s about it.

53. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I turn it off when they’re behind by 18.

• TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Slacker

54. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm

In all seriousness, I multi-task, e.g., watching Rachel Maddow on television, researching stock charts, keeping track on my fantasy league teams, IMing people, email, and this evening, I have a football FL draft.

Oh yeah, and watch the Giants via Koztaz and monitor the Flap.

55. TedSpe said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Well, Hell’s bells. Now that this has been straightened out, perhaps the players can start concentrating on winning!!!

56. zumie said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:44 pm

On the blogs, you can just see the “jokes” coming a million miles away about certain players on the Giants “stealing” payroll, too, by their poor performance. Har de har.

57. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I was shocked that Edgar didn’t flee to Colombia with his ill gotten booty..

58. DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:16 pm

This Darwin Barney guy would be perfect for the Giants. Think of the hats they could sell…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Speaking of which…don’t think those silly giraffe hats will be going anywhere soon. The connection is catching on, even for the real long-necked ones…

59. DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

At least we still have the best uniforms. Cubs look like shit, and Arizona’s red get-up should be banned forever…

60. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Giants better win because Rockies will be no help tonight . . . Aaron Cook is already fucking up, 2-1 Snakes.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I p/u Wade Miley Cyrus in our FL just for tonight to screw the Snakes. I can’t even jinx properly now.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Miley isn’t really fooling anyone . . . This will be a typical Coors Canaveral slugfest.

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Unfortunately, the game isn’t in Denver and The Rocks are the worst road itting team in the Majors.

61. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for coming and drive home safely…

62. DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Any rain in the forecast?

63. paulinasia said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

This morning (your current evening) I woke up thinking about a turning point in the season. Some seasons, you can point to one or two games or a series when things change, for better or worse, but it doesn’t seem too often that there is a very distinct pivot point. I counted up the wins and losses through beating Philly 2 out of 3 and then since that time… only then did I see Gwen Knapp’s story. Always check out existing secondary data before engaging in primary data research, huh…. 18 games over .500 after that Phillies series, then 10-20 since then. What happened on that flight to Cincy? Invastion of the Body Snatchers? Not the same team after they landed in Cincy. The only differentiating factor — the new guys arrived (Beltran, Cabrera, etc., Kepp was already here, I think). Coincidence? I really don’t know. Just weird how the switch just seemed to shut off at that point, up til now. August has never been a personal favorite month. September, ok. On we go… starting with this game, I hope.

64. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Miller didn’t get the memo . . . Even the umps are on the Cubs side.

65. stixwiz said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:08 pm

No massive dump on Vogie ~ rather the death of a thousand cuts. Add his performance to Timmy’s last night and it looks like unless there is a sudden and unexpected offensive breakthrough, the staff will implode. Seems like their will is sagging. Losing their edge.

66. blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Dodgers have tattooed the Padres for 8 runs in the 2nd inning . . . and are still batting.

67. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Honest question: why isn’t DeRosa in the lineup somewhere? (Besides his unresolved wrist issues) is he not healthy? Seems to me he might be up for playing his old club.

68. Bozo said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Well that was pretty weak. What the hell has been going on?

69. stixwiz said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Had been maintaining a bit of hope that Beltran would come around. Hope level on him is now down to about ten cents on the dollar.

70. twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

The offense has now outdone itself, it gave up 3 runs to the Cubs..

71. paulinasia said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I wonder about DeRosa too. Seems like he at least had a little fire in his belly for a couple of games there…. Unlike most of the others who look decidedly dead-ass…

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Paul, are you able to watch the game?

• DJLoo said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Of course he can. The Ho Chi Minh Bar & Grill has always carried Giant games…

72. paulinasia said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm

No, Blade, can’t see this one. Have seen some online streaming…. am I lucky to not be seeing this? 🙂

73. Bozo said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Panda can do it.

• Bozo said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Ahhh, well maybe not.

74. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:28 pm

That’s just inexcusable base running from the Panda. Fuck him and all the other animals at the SF Zoo.

• blade3colorado said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Especially the giraffes.

• twinfan1 said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:31 pm

He made a mistake, your comment about it was inexcusable.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Oh excuse me, I forgot Pablo was a Latino. They don’t make egregious mistakes. They’re only committed by YES Whitey. Now that I think about it, Whitey is a problem. How can we rid ourselves of said problem? I know, “We can kill the first-born male child in every household.”

“Too Jewish?”

• Nipper said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:51 pm

ditto

75. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Bozo, you may have posted, but I’ve been away for a few days. If you are in NC, did you survive the hurricane OK?

• Bozo said, on August 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Ed, I’m tired. Two days preparing for the storm, a day or so sitting through it and now a couple of days cleaning up (with, probably another week of it). We got hit hard. I was asleep and thinking about a beer and a polish dog, got up and cracked a beer open and turned on the Giants. Don’t think I’ll make it through the whole game but if I couldn’t have a polish the next best thing was turning on the game. Damn I wish I had a polish though.
      WAY to go Kepp.