A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Staying Confident While Reality Crashes Down Around You

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 31, 2011

6 out with 26 to play? No problem!  I have stayed as confident as is Giant-ly possible over the last month despite the seeds of desperation growing into something that feels much larger than me this morning. I dreamed of August 23rd. That dream came and went with me staying confident. I dismissed 4 out with 28 to go as not a problem. Still confident. I bragged about The Knowing Dude Head Nod knowing more than you.  I affirmed great confidence that we can beat the Cubs since they are built much more like we are than the scrappy, speedy (L)astros are. We promptly lose 2 straight (and neither game has been close) to this team supposedly “build like us”. Meanwhile the Snakes forgot how to lose and have won 8 straight putting us currently 6 back with 26 to play. In yesterday’s thread I said we had to win 5 straight or the season was toast. We lost 5-2. Snakes won easily…..

And here I sit trying to figure out how to back track out of that “toast” sentence from yesterday. My hands are folded together with my index fingers forming an upside down *V* tower that I am tapping gently against my lips. I have the faintest “knowing dude head nod” going right now……

And what I’ve decided is this: I was wrong to use the *toast* comment, it simply isn’t over yet. Do I feel confident in this team or any of my countless predictions that we would win the West by several games this year? No. That confidence is as dead as the bloody, shredded dead bunny that one of my cats brought in this morning. I have been forced to face who this team is and it is not who I thought they were. But it’s not over. Yet. We play the Snakes this weekend and if we sweep them we are still in this. Could that happen? Absolutely. Do I think it’s gonna? Well, I’ll just say this: I am lacking confidence that it will happen. But I will root for it to happen and in a fan’s world, *rooting* and *reality* don’t ever have to intersect for even a moment. But in a *moment* rooting can overcome reality enough to make a dream come true. That’s not some corny bs that I just scribbled out of my keyboard. Stop and think of sporting events in your life time where the result didn’t make any sense. Where the winning team didn’t *deserve* to win. The Cardinals went 83-78 in 2006 and won the World Series. Did their season record indicate *deserving* to win the World Series? Of course not…….

There will be something painfully perfect on Saturday night as The First Ever Flap Get Together goes down and I get to watch the game with some true Flapper fans. It could all end that evening. Or it all keeps going. Who knows. I am holding on to one last desperate shred of hope that we somehow luck our way into the playoffs this year. I don’t care if that looks pathetic and it’s a far cry from the confidence I once proudly owned. But I am a fan of this team till I die and there has been and will continue to be many times where my rooting doesn’t intersect with the reality of the situation. I imagine many of you feel the same way. Go Giants……..

1. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Clearly, Bochy studied ancient military history. The Roman legions had it right all along — kill a tenth of the troops, the other 90% work harder! Thus concludes today’s etymology lesson: ‘D’ for ‘decimate’.

2. snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Stewie should teach the team how to bunt, nice effort for the hit.
    It worked out with Kepp’s hit scoring Stewie, but WTF was Torres bunting with a guy on 2nd and one out?…

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm

He probably figgered it was better than striking out

3. snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Look what a little DFAing of a coupla assdraggers will do for ya.
    Why didn’t anybody here think of that earlier… 🙂

4. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Very fine performance so far from Bumgarner, on and off the mound.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:39 pm

10K, 1 BB, 0ER … annnnnd… run support! Yeah, Bummie’s having a groovy day.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Oh. Sure. We should just ignore the fact he’s given up 2 hits. 😉

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I got too flustered with the run support and forgot the rest. I’m looking much more forward to facing AZ now, compared to yesterday.

5. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm

And the good news just keeps pouring in. You know that $1.5 million embezzlement that the Giants payroll manager tried to get away with? Well I just read…Zito’s not concerned.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Well, I didn’t know they could do this but the Giants are reporting that it was all Huff’s money..

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:06 pm

hahaha. If only they could

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm

What’s scary is that she was tripped up by a 3rd party loan letter — not by … oh say, procedural audits or internal controls.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Shit, when yer writing a $750,000 check to Barry Zito every fricking week, $1.5 mill is loose change . . .

6. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Shut down innings seemed to be less common lately, that helps, too. And Rodrigo is a guy that even the Giants regularly spank…after the shake up, this is absolutely “must win”

7. Sportdude said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for the post Craig. Can’t give up even though my brain tells me to. The lack of hitting with risp is amazing. 11 hits 4 runs is still bad no matter how you look at it.

Still crazy that some many average to slightly good hiters all got really bad at the same time, and all for such a prolonged amount of time. Not so much as a Mike Benjamin hot streak for a day or three from any one of 10 guys.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Unbelievable.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Is that what’s known as a veiled compliment?

8. macdog said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Phillies did get an ex-Giants outfielder — John Bowker!

9. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Mebbe we can some of our guys out of this box, bottom 7 slots in list of avg. run support:

93 Madison Bumgarner SF 4.38
    94 Matt Cain SF 4.36
    95 John Danks CHW 4.20
    96 Paul Maholm PIT 4.16
    97 Jered Weaver LAA 4.07
    98 Tim Lincecum SF 4.04
    99 Doug Fister DET/SEA 3.70

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Where in the world do those numbers come from, Bill?

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

ESPN sortable pitching stats. I hope they have it right. I remember a broadcast from a couple night’s ago that had 3 of our guys occupying the bottom 5, so I’m not certain if ESPN has it up to date.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I don’t undersatand how they figure it. The team doesn’t even average 4 per game.Baseball Reference, for example, shows Bum with 3.02.

• blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, most pitchers would kill for 4 runs a game.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I do agree with your observation. I think the broadcast I referred to earlier had num’s in the 2 ‘n’ change range.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Before today they had scored 84 runs for him in 27 starts. He is among the bottom 5, but I don’t know ESPN’s formula. He’d kill for 4.38 per game.

• blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:32 pm

However, Fister being on that list is not a typo. I’ve read that elsewhere too. It actually reflects that most of his time was spent in Seattle (he was traded recently . . . Boston I think) and they are hitting challenged.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Maybe Giants payroll mgr. moonlighted for ESPN’s stats programming on the side.

10. snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Good to see Romo back in there.
    It means Giants are winning a game…

11. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 pm

And now it means the Giants won a game

12. snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Giants had a must win game and they won. Hope for an Ariz loss tonite.
    POTG: Giants management and ownership — for the DFA moves. They gulped and took the medicine that was necessary to wake the team from the coma…
    POTG2: Bum. Superior start.
    POGT3: Kepp. Solid player…

13. Nipper said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Where’s Dennis?

• Nipper said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Staying thirsty……

14. blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Didn’t see the game, but I understand we got a lot of bunt hits. That works too!

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm

All they need do is replicate this game at least 18 times over the next month…

15. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Well, a win. Convincing no less. Time to get on a big fat roll here.

Let’s just hope Colo gets one out of the 3.

16. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Schul’: “Burrell to start Friday. Bochy hints DeRosa will start more games at Huff’s expense.”

17. EdGdsnInExile said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I only monitored the game online, but it seemed to have some Giants magic to it. Great starting pitching; great return by Romo; a trade deadline guy produces big; Torres has an early hit; DeRosa starts and produces; Pablo, Little Mike, and Stewart contribute; and Pat the Bat comes through in his return. I think it’s clear the DFA-ing of Tejada and Rowand had an impact. As for timing, they may have had to wait until September 1 or risk being short of major league–rather than minor league–talent (some of you would argue there wasn’t much difference). This might be enough momentum for AZ. Go Giants!

18. stixwiz said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Just what the doctor ordered. Earlier today i called the near necessity of a shutdown shutout by the starter. Two hits over 8 innings for the young man from North Carolina. Double digits in K’s too from Bumgarner who pitched today like that World Series Undertaker. Also called for some explosive spark from the position players. That happened as well with Keppinger and Sandoval going back to back. Could be the Sosa-Keppinger trade worked out for both Houston and S.F.

Two guys in the L.U. today remained dead wood. Maybe they should join Wild Bill and move to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Still wondering if Bochy/Sabean have the stones to pine Beltran for his lack of production in the cleanup spot. Likely Ross will be pining on the bench for the opener vs the Snakes.

Best thing is that the bleeding has been stanched ~ at least for now. Ross, Cabrera, Whitey, Huff now know what can happen to failures. Belt will need some long offseason sessions with a lot of breaking balls thrown his way. He’s not a Linden, Niekro or even Bowker. Remember, he has only one full year in the minors before getting the call and then getting yo-yoed. Guys like Freddy Freeman worked their ways outta springs much worse than Belt was having. With all the downvibe recently it’s little surprise that his hitting has gone south recently. He’ll be okay ~ if handled properly.

Nice to see the efficient nail-down by Romo. Also good to see that the mood may be improving vs Wilson’s recovery. Team has a rare offday at home and a bit of time to bask. Tejada and Rowand are out there with millions of Americans ~ on the unemployment line hoping to land on their feet somewhere. Thanks for the memories, Aaron. There were some good ones.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Sorry, but Belt’s failure to hit is on Belt, no one else.

19. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm

“Until we figure something out, I’ll probably hang out here for a couple of days before I go home, if nothing comes up. I have a batting cage at my house. I can go hit.”

Guess who?

• blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’ll guess the Gamer.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:49 pm

… and some say Shakespeare was the king of irony. pffft!

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:52 pm

That reminds me of the philisophical question: If you put 1,000,000 Shakespeares in a room , each with a typewriter, would they eventually produce the work of a monkey?

20. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Last “Franchise” episode tonight?

21. stixwiz said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Like the bad, good news sometimes comes in bunches, or at least pairs. Federal prosticutors, now that they got their bit of blood from Bonds, have decided to drop the remaining charges. Sentencing on the Obstruction of Justice charge will come down the pike in some weeks time. Once that is resolved, maybe the Giants could take #25 on as a special roving hitting instructor. First candidates might be Belt and Crawford.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm

That’s implying he wants to do that . . .

I’d love to see it, though

• Nipper said, on August 31, 2011 at 4:58 pm

How about a nice statue in front of the park.

22. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Maybe we’d like to have the release of two players be the catalyst for today’s win, but that’s projection. It may or may not have had a damn thing to do with it. More likely it was simply a good pitching performance and an opposing pictcher that even SF routinely hammers..

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

It lacks dramatic flare but I’m inclined to agree.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I’m inclined to think the DFAing had something to do with it. Giants have faced totally bogus opposition pitching many times the last month, and sucked eggs. Today, they had energy, played a little small ball, hit some taters…

23. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Prosticutors? That’s not a typo. That’s a Freudian slip.

24. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Who was that SNL guy who made up words? Sniglets?

Like Pupkus. The imprint of a dog’s nose on a window?

Prosticutors is a good one. Too bad Xoot isn’t here to enjoy that . . .

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I have Internet fame from:

lymph, v. to walk with a lisp.

25. Sportdude said, on August 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Yes! A win…

2 runs or less 60 times this year according to mlb ticker. Leads majors

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Always has to be a caveat in your posts, doesn’t there?
      “2 hit shutou!!!…Now if only Bum can get his ERA under .300”

26. Big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm

It was pretty critical but not a must win. If we had lost today we would have had to sweep the snakes thus weekend. Now I feel like we could even just take 2/3, especially if the snakes lose tonight. Then we are 4 out and that’s still manageable since we have 3 left with them. But let’s just have them lose tonight then sweep them and be 2 out. No reason to toss in the towel right now. What, you got something better to do? Rowand is gone that alone is cause for several hours of celebration tonight…

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:27 pm

The ARiz win tonite shows that today’s Giants win WAS a must win…

27. Big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

E-Rog going tonight for my new 2nd favorite team, the Rockies. He’s horrible. Whatever, I’ll watch that gm tonight. The d-backs haven’t won 9 in a row since 2003. 8 years? Man, that’s a long time. I’m thinking that streak continues to stand alone….

28. zumie said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

If someone thinks Rowand changed his stance several times, that’s news to me. Those had to be some pretty minor changes, because his Squatty McDuck stance was pretty much the same every year.
    It’s so nice to be rid of Rowand and Tejada, and not to have to wait anymore for it.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:28 pm

No no. It wasn’t his batting stance that changed several times. It was his stance on the cause of the economic meltdown on Wall Street that kept changing.

• big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:38 pm

haha. Actually, I did notice some subtle differences to start each season. He was more upright to start last season, for instance. But he always went back to what didn’t work. I’ll never understand why K/K would get so amp’d about all his batting practice swings. All he ever did was perfect a perfect likeness of a swing that didn’t work. Who gives a shit if he can hit batting practice balls. Can’t everyone? He was a hard worker, we all understood this. But the work he produced sucked shit. The only thing that keeps me from hating him was the catch he made to save Dirrrrrty’s no-no. What a memory that night was……

• zumie said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:45 pm

It’s hard for me to believe there would be interest in Rowand and Tejada from any GMs. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if those two never played major league baseball again.

• big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:57 pm

well, with the Giants paying all that dough, I could totally see Rowand getting a gig somewhere. And with both the White Sox and the Phillies loving the dude (and they freaking LOVED him) I could see Sabes maybe even getting them to bid against each other a bit–give us something to fill the AAA roster out or something.
        Tejada? Done……

29. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Frustrating as he was, he did contribute to the miracle. My God bless him always…

• DJLoo said, on August 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm

May

30. big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Colorado sucks my balls……

• macdog said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This is like the other fantasy league I’m in, where the home team gets 3 extra points. Seems like Arizona just shows up and it’s already 3-0.

31. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Intended for the Splashers more than here:

“Pleny of revisionism on Rowand- in fact, he was a popular signing and Spashers were touting him for the ASG- his first half numbers were .291 .359 .804 in the first half 2008. The HRs were down (8), as could be expected, but it looked like the Gamer was a very ggod signing, He then had a terrible second half but rebounded in 2009 with another excellent first half-288 .348 .806 ( BA, OBP, OPS).. then again, he went feet up in the second.
    I’m not going into the last two years, but to say he steadily declined and certainly he won’t be missed on a performance basis.I’ve never heard those second collapses explained, maybe his tireless work in the cage and his all out style just took it’s toll.
    But he always showed more class than those who ripped him and was a huge part of of some memorable Giants’ moments.

• big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:24 pm

i think this post is *revisionism*….Rowand sucked shit in his time here. Who was touting him for the all star game? I’d love to see those posts. He had some memorable Giant moments for sure, though I don’t think I’d say *huge part*, it sounds like you’re trying to make it seem more than it was. Which it wasn’t. There was the no hitter catch and he actually won 3 or 4 games for us all by himself this year. And no one has to *explain* the last 2 years to any of us, we’ve seen the results in his stat sheet. Bottom line: yes there were some *moments*. There were also 2 million ground ball failures to the left side of the infield. As a fan, you don’t forget the magnitude of those failures. They out weigh the few good *moments*……..

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Squatty had decent moments his first year after hurting his ribs and being out for a while. After that, he generally sucked. He made a great throw out in the NLCS. The rest is a litany of ground DP balls to 3rd and SS and a ton of swinging Ks on sliders in the outside dirt. He was a huge bust….

32. big flavor said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:38 pm

and in a pre-emptive attempt to not get into some big fight with you about this, I am going to check out for the night. See you in the morning…….

• Nipper said, on August 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm

A wise move.

33. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Everyone was giddy with delight at his first half 2008 numbers, including Flavor. No one could believeably claim to be unhappy with the transaction in July of 2008. My post is easily the most accurate in reviewing his time here and is certainly negative enough for all but the “doomiest”..

34. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:45 pm

The way not to get in a fight is not to pick one. My post is accurate and reasonable. It covers his imited success and his failure.

• Nipper said, on August 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Right again Twin!

35. blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Collmenter made Alfonso look silly on that SO (referring to the Rocks/Snakes game).

36. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 7:59 pm

.291 8 HR 48 RBI .359 OBP .804 OPS at the 2008 break..Yeah, sure, everybody be hatin’ on him then

37. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Flavor won’t be able to stand it, so I’ll log off…

38. willieD said, on August 31, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Driving home after work, I listened to Byrnes, who couldn’t understand the Rowand deal. WTF?
    Sabes started the off season “going in another direction” moves now, good for him.
    Realize tho, the guys who are here (as of tmw, anyway) have to get it done…it’s not like Jose Reyes and Josh Hamilton took over rowand and tejada’s roster spots.
    Sounds like Bum f-ed them up, which is where the real spark has to come from, the SPs.
    Belt…I think if we’re lucky he becomes more like Carlos Pena. I don’t think he will hit for a high avg. until he learns to take the outside pitch the other way for singles instead of taking borderline pitches there that wind up being called strike 3. But, if he can continue to work walks and jack up the slugging pct. with some bombs, then the OPS would jump into more Burrell of 2010 territory.
    Instead, he is almost exactly like Ross of 2011, and that is not a good thing. And it also ain’t bcohy’s fault.

39. SanDawg said, on August 31, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Forgot today was a day game, didn’t get all the news until I got home from work. Not sure what the biggest surprise was: the Giants winning, those guys getting DFA’d, or Stewart driving in a run! (I’m pulling hard for Stew to hit the 10 RBI mark before the season is through)

I liked the Rowand signing at the time. I thought he was a great guy to bring in to foster a more team-centered, scrappy mindset after so many years of Barry dominating the team with his 2 lockers and the legendary recliner. We all knew his Philly numbers would go down. His first year numbers in SF were in the ballpark for what I expected from him. Not long after that I started checking out the Splash and later the Flap. I thought everyone was way too hard on the guy for a quite a while. Finally, somewhere in the second half last year I went to the dark side and had seen enough. It just didn’t work out. Real curious to see what becomes of him.

40. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:06 pm

There was Hunter, Rowand and Andruw Jones at the time. I knew Hunter was too much $$$, and fat unroided Jones was headed for a cliff-divel, so Rowand seemed like the guy to go with. Yeah, I was glad we got him.

Shit didn’t work out.

If anything, Belt needs to be a little more aggressive at the plate. He has a good eye, but he’s taking too many close pitches. He’s young, and I think he’s thinking too much. Sorta like Beltran, who’s trying to be something different than what he is.

41. blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Rockies swept . . . sigh.

• willieD said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:27 pm

You were right about these guys making noise a while back, Blade. What a bunch of poseurs.

• blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm

They looked over-matched the entire series with Snakes. Basically, you have two outstanding players, Tulo and Cargo, with Helton somehow finding the fountain of youth this year. The rest of the players are bad, with Fowler and Smith, occasionally performing (Smith is terrible against lefties). The pitching staff is putrid. Even Chacin’s outings are always nail biters, i.e., walking at least 4-5 batters every game. Best move they made was getting rid of Ubaldo . . . ALL HYPE! This team will need some major retooling next year.

42. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2011 at 10:26 pm

There’s still time. There’s still time for Bochy to use bench players with a lot of talent in specific skills utilized in late innings to help this team reach the post season. Any baloney that folks come up with without an ounce of logical thought to back it up just gives me hives. I trust all this illogical malarkey the same way I trust women. The last time I trusted a woman it was in Paris. She said she was just leaving to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Nazis marched into France.

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

43. shaman_138 said, on August 31, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I’ll say it again–this is the fluke season. Last year was our WS year, next year we’re right back in it–this string of voodoo bullshit injuries just fucked us this year. This is not “reality” or “crashing back to earth” or, duhh, “the end of the magic” but a year of hard luck. Fuck the Snakes–yeah, they probably steal this division this year and do what they’ve done every time they’ve stolen our division…absolutely nothing. Who gives a fuck? Let’s get back to watching the Raiders win the AFC, right?….right??…..right????

• Nipper said, on September 1, 2011 at 5:43 am

Raiders! A real commitment to excellency!