A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Waiting for the Final Death Blow

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 4, 2011

One thing has been established: Having a group of Flappers get together doesn’t bring any luck to the team. It’s not very good for your liver, either. My head hurts. I imagine that the Giants *team* head, if there was one, hurts today, too….

I’m sure a lot of you remember the Ali/Holmes fight in 1980. As a boy watching that fight, I remember marveling at the fact that Ali refused to go down, despite being battered by Holmes. Today’s game might feel a little like that. Ali just couldn’t make a go of it in the 11th (nor should he have). Had he gone out there, I suspect he would have been leveled with one last, powerful blow.

That’s what today’s game might feel like today for us. One more loss and it would be difficult to even *imagine* the Giants coming back and winning this thing. I’m not afraid to watch the game and I’m not worried about about facing the fact that the season is effectively over if we lose–I waved bye bye to confidence and reality a few days ago. It’s hard to even muster up any feelings of regret since I think we did about as well as we could have with the players we had this year. Last year was our year. This year appears to be the D-backs year. It’s not the end of the world or anything…….

I was going to fill this thread with several questionable decisions from Bochy and one huge one by Beltran but I’m just not in the mood. I feel like I talked that all out last night. I’ll tell you, even though we lost the game, I declare the First Ever Flap Party to be a huge success. We had a great time watching the game, getting to know each other and talking baseball literally the entire time–San Dawg challenged us with a few unreal trivia questions (ex: what unusual word is stitched into Tim Lincecum’s glove?), we took informal polls about in-game decisions, we talked Giants history and by my count our waitress DeeDee bent over and flashed us her cleavage approximately 372 times–it was a  great night and it made the loss slightly easier to tolerate. This is a photo taken from my phone, I think there’s a better one floating around out there taken from an actual camera. From left to right you have: WillieD, James, San Dawg, Flavor, and Ewisco. I would guess that screen names were used about 75% of the time over actual names when referring to each other in conversation. That’s gold, baby……

1. blade3colorado said, on September 4, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Ewisco, you have to channel your inner child and perhaps think back to Christmas and Santa Claus, Easter bunny rabbit and the tooth fairy.

2. TedSpe said, on September 4, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Great picture of the oneflapdown77 get together. A more notorius gathering of scalawags I’ve yet to have seen before. Looks like last call at Lefty O’Doul’s. Excellent.
    Makes me proud.
    As for the Giants. Well…perhaps I’m an idiot…I’ve already admitted to being an uber-polly…but as twin had stated a few days ago, right or wrong, if they’re 9 games down and there’s 10 games to go…I’m still hitching my wagon to Bochy’s flying star. World Series repeat? I wouldn’t *bet* on it. But playoffs? Post season entry? Yup. I’m still there. Arizona’s just not that good and the Giants just aren’t that bad. A lot of luck involved in all this shit. Any time the turn of the screw can go any way.
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

3. TedSpe said, on September 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Oh, sorry, but one other thing…WHERE THE FUCK IS JERRY LEWIS??!!??

4. James said, on September 5, 2011 at 8:56 am

BF, at the party you were wondering if Eli’s contact % backed up your sense that he’s just about the crappiest hitter to ever torment an SF fan. He’s obviously not someone you’re going to use in hit and run situations, but, looking at this year’s stats, there’s nothing extraordinary about him, either. When the ball is over the plate, and he swings, he’s got a lousy percentage, but it’s not much lower than Pablo’s. The big difference between the two is that one can hit the ball out of the strike zone, and the other can’t. And Eli swings at way too many pitches out of the zone.

Belt’s contact stats support what I’ve pointed out — thus far, he’s as crummy as Eli at hitting pitches out of the zone. His success is likely predicated on staying in the zone, which, unlike Eli, he’s shown some knack for.

5. stixwiz said, on September 5, 2011 at 9:25 am

Outside of Ross’ drive and Beltran’s triple, the only batter who really pushed Hudson yesterday was Belt with his, what was it, 16 pitch A.B. with foul after foul-off. Hudson eventually got him the usual way, but a few more victories like that one and Hudson would have been out of the game early on. Getting back on my high horse with this one, i’d like to see Belt play every day, but switch in the L.U. with Keppinger. The more pitches he sees, the more likely he will be to start connecting with those yakkers. Though he’s still going down on strikes all too often, the kid does make the pitcher work for his money. One of the things that has really troubled the team this year has been the weak ground out on the first, second or third pitch. It means the starter gets to go deep into games.

Hector should get all the starts Whitey usually has and Crawford should get the nod at SS. For the few extra hits Cabrera gets, the hits and runs lost to his maudlin defensive skills are totally telling. No way is Cabrera part of the team’s long-term plans. Crawford could be.

6. zumie said, on September 5, 2011 at 9:43 am

It’ll be interesting to see how Bochy goes with the lineup today. A case could be made for a lot of different things. I’m guessing he and Sabean had a long talk after the game yesterday.

7. twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

Belt had the worst AB of the game, failing to move Torres to third in what could have been a huge run. He’s been a huge disappointment on every level.

• James said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:14 am

Having a “worst” AB of the game is, of course, largely a matter of chance. Bochy, to his credit, has his hitters try to drive in the run in those situations.

Belt has been a disappointment. But his OPS is basically the same as Huff’s, the player whose under performance has been the most damaging to the team this year.

• twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:47 am

That’s a bit of a misstatement- Bochy doesn’t *concede* an out via the bunt, But a LH in particular is expected to at least get the runner to third if he does make out. Bochy was pretty clear about Belt’s AB in his press conference.

• James said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:46 am

Well, it is the way Bochy himself puts it. He also said there is no guarantee you score with a runner on 3rd w/ one out. If Belt had popped one up foul to the far end of the RF bullpen, Torres would have advanced to third. That AB would have been no better or “worse” than a pop up to second. If he had lined out to shallow left, center, 3B or SS, would that be a “better” AB, when you’re trying to drive in the run?

8. ewisco said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

Every level? The only level I can think that he’s been a disappointment is the very top, where he comes in and rakes and carries the team. For a young guy, he hasn’t been terrible and he certainly shows promise. his defense at first looked good from what little we saw. he didn’t stink in left though would rather see him at first. so disappointing, yeah, sort of. I would still say let him hit at this level the rest of the year. hopefully it pays off next year. despite all the great hitters you’d have to bench to let him hit, i don’t think you’re losing much.

• twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:55 am

Well, he’s been worse than several ridiculed busts of the past. With Burrell injured again, he might get several more starts, so he can redeem himself and help the team. Only one Brandon today, boys. To his credit, Bochy is not throwing in the towel.
      Torres CF, Keppinger 2B, Beltran RF, Sandoval 3B, Huff 1B, Ross LF, Crawford SS, Stewart C, Bumgarner P

9. eddacker said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

what happened?
    I go away for a few days and the standings look like shit
    I blame Bozo

10. eddacker said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:34 am

nice picture and great fun for the flap meet, btw

11. eddacker said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:35 am

I ALWAYS believe that a team playing like jacks and nines can suddenly play aces
    Go Giants!

12. Sportdude said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:35 am

Disappointing at many levels at least. He was rated one of the top prospects in baseball preseason. Yes many young hitters struggle..but when the season started many were thinking of him as a blue chip type prospect like a Posey, Braun, Longoria type who would be a middle of the order guy. The key point is most of the young “great”, long term good hitters do not struggle like he has.

Too early to give up of course, but considering expectations…he has been disappointing.

• James said, on September 5, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’m not sure there’s a clear pattern for how “great” or even “good:” players perform over their first 132 ABs. Stix mentioned Atlanta’s patience with Freeman in an earlier post . His OPS was still at 696 after game 50.

Belt walked 9 times his first 18 games in which he batted. He’s only walked 6 in the subsequent 27. He will not succeed if he doesn’t change the latter trend.

• twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

But you guys always know bettter than Bochy does.

• James said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:58 am

? Bochy is in a tougher position than the Atlanta manager. I do think Belt deserves a more sustained look than, e.g., Bowker got. If that had happened this year, the Giants offense would have been no less productive for it.

13. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

Spinning the dice and throwing the wheel:
    Torres CF
    Keppinger 2B
    Beltran RF
    Sandoval 3B
    Huff 1B
    Ross LF
    Crawford SS
    Stewart C
    Bumgarner P

14. twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:34 am

Uh-Oh, Schulman and his co-manager at the Merc disagree on some of yesterday’s game strategy. If these guys can’t make decisions as one, how are to expect this team to succeed? One of ’em says you shouldn’t bunt with a big, strappin’ dude like the Beltmeister, the other says you have to bunt with the slumpin’ whiffin’ machine.

15. Sportdude said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

Az has a losing steak in them. How do I know? Because EVERY team that wins 11/12 does! The only question is whether the Giants have a 5 game winning steak in them? I say yes they do, and by next Monday we are 4 games out…

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:41 am

Carlos Beltran scratched with food poisoning/stomach ailment. Belt in LF, Ross to RF.

Tummy ache my ass. There goes the first towel…

• Nipper said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

Twin is not going to like that Dennis.

17. Sportdude said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:41 am

Beltran, Panda, and Ross go off

18. Sportdude said, on September 5, 2011 at 11:43 am

Dennis you make me shake my head..Unless of course you and Carlos are buds, and he just told you the Giants are done and he is quitting…

19. DJLoo said, on September 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

How could he eat after that game yesterday?

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm

He’s demurely letting some of the other players have a chance.

Our 19H in the AZ series:

Beltran 8
      Ross 4
      Kepp – Huff – Cabrera 2
      DeRo 1

… followed by many many zeros from the rest

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Rounding out the AZ series:
        Sandoval, Torres, Belt, Burrell, Fontenot, Stewart, Whiteside, Gillaspie: 0 ‘fer 31

20. stixwiz said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Two down and Sandoval at bat. I sez to the screen “c’mon Panda, run into one””. He did. Ross got us one in the first yesterday, but then Saunders ain’t exactly Hudson. Keep it up, guys.

21. ewisco said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Not sure how far back this goes but it seems like for the last month or so, every time the g’s get a run, the pitcher gives it right back in the next half inning. every. time.

22. Sportdude said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Just looked at our active roster. Amazing stat. Giants will end the season with only ONE player with 500 at bats. Huff is at 488. Of course the way he has been hitting, maybe I should hope he doesn’t make it?

23. Macdog said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Could’ve used that from Belt yesterday.

24. James said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

It’s a battle of blown shut down innings. What an emotional roller coaster.

25. twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm

As I posted- Beltran has had more RBi opportunities with men on and with RISP than Pujols( by percentage ). He’s been a colossal bust in that regard- on pace for about 50 RBI in a full season.And he is a liability in the field. I’m sure the Snarrker will excuse me for being suspicious of his absence today- eating Hooter wings at 1:30 A.M… hmmm.
    And who eats the “wings” anyway?

• Nipper said, on September 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm

gobble, gobble!

26. ewisco said, on September 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I swear to god if he gives up a run here i’m going to jump through the freaking screen!

27. ewisco said, on September 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm

and then, a miracle occured . . .

28. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm

ok, panda’s making up for the az series o’fers

29. stixwiz said, on September 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Panda and the Brandons producing today. Ross stays hot. Streaky hitter he is. Looks like Sandoval may crack the 20 HR line again this year. We need that. Anything less is major power outage futility. Of course he missed a bunch of time and has been hurting. So maybe he’s feeling more up to snuff on the road. Less pressure there and also in the Divisional race with a hand and a leg tied behind the team’s back with all the injuries and flops.

30. Macdog said, on September 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Padres reliever Brad Brach is the second player out of Monmouth University in New Jersey to reach the majors. The first? Ed Halicki, who is still Monmouth’s No. 2 all-time hoops scorer.

31. stixwiz said, on September 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Splendid performance by the Undertaker to get his tenth win, lower his ERA to 3.37 (16th in the league) and set a personal high in strikeouts with 13. Giants starters now include #5 (Vogelsong); #6; #8; (Timmy and Matt) and now Bumgarner at #16 in ERAs. So a full quarter of the top 16 starters in the NL are Giants. With a similar number of teams in the league, that is an awesome stat. With Bumgarner going 8 1/3 following Vogie’s 7 1/3 yesterday, the bullpen is well rested. Not quite the same for the Dagos as they ran em out there today. Another point to note with SF’s Big Four is that now each of them is double digit in wins. If Surkamp can throw his second good game tomorrow, we may be looking at a very tight rotation, particularly looking at 2012.

Panda was pounding em and Ross has gone hot, so the absence of Beltran today did not mean one helluva lot. Pitching matchups in these next two at SD look to favor the Giants, so winning the series looks like a good shot and with winning game one, a sweep is still in the cards. Always nice to win that first one and a 7-2 laugher should be a tonic for everybody.

32. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

According to Baggs, Bochy says Pill starting tomorrow, telling him not to stay out too late.

• Flavor said, on September 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I can’t imagine too many of the new call up are out tonight picking up BUrrell’s scraps. They should all be in bed by 10am, lol

• James said, on September 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

May Brad Pitt one day play Brett Pill.

33. dirtnrocksnreno said, on September 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Wasn’t there a whole conversation last week about nicknames that don’t stick and the reasons why?

34. Flavor said, on September 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’m not getting into the nickname thing again.
    Sorry I didn’t pop a new thread up today. If I don’t do it early am my day usually gets away a little and I sometimes don’t get around to it. I missed the game. I find it largely hilarious that this is the first week I didn’t start Pablo Sandoval (I have him in my NFBC league and you have to set your LU’s every Mon morning) and he bangs out 2 bombs to start the week.

35. dirtnrocksnreno@yahoo.com said, on September 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Other than not finishing last I pretty much gave up on FL when I bottomed out at 30 pts early in the season. Just too much ground to make up.

To answer you question about my cousin from the start of the thread, yeah we’re close. Just hard to stay in touch sometimes. Plus her family is full of the biggest sport nuts in the clan. Probably her 12th game this year. My uncle has owned a few bars in the city over the years and always ends up turning them from total shit holes to total shit holes frequented by 49er and Giants fans.

36. twinfan1 said, on September 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm

One as to look at this differently than “we have to go blah blah and if the DBacks go blah blah.. ”
    here’s how to do this: we need to pick up 4 games or more of the next 15…that puts us three back with 3 in AZ and 3 at home vs. the Rocks… now that sounds much more doable, doesn’t it.

37. blade3colorado said, on September 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Sort of off topic, but something that’s been bugging me quite a bit lately – It’s past time for the national pastime to address the pace-of-game issue . . . Because the sport doesn’t have a clock, it’s never going to move quickly. Believe me, I get it.

But the Yankees-Red Sox​ marathons — averaging nearly four hours for nine-inning games — are bad for business, and can be fixed. For example, the Yankees and Red Sox renewed their rivalry last week, playing three games. Nothing wrong with that except it took 11 hours, 36 minutes. Say fucking what?

I recall one matchup earlier this year on ESPN, where Freddy Garcia​ (whom I have waived at least 2 times on each of my FL teams) and Josh Beckett​ were both taking roughly 27 seconds between pitches. Teixeira spoke out on the subject, telling the New York Times, “It’s brutal. I can’t stand playing a nine-inning game in four hours. It’s not baseball.”

Selig needs to step in. I love watching baseball, but sitting through the Yankees-Red Sox is laborious. The umps need to be empowered to step in. A directive before the teams play, reminding the organizations that while baseball doesn’t have a clock, it does have fans with short attention spans. Stay in the box and hit. Pitch without shaking off 71 signs. Fans want to see the game. Not the delay.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Those Red/Yanks games are among the biggest TV crowds of the game. Slow pace is outweighed by the air-time advertising revenue. Lots of “ex-pat” Boston/NY fans sitting in TV sports bars all around the country swilling down brewskis, dreaming of home, watching the latest clever Budweiser commercial.

38. unca_chuck said, on September 6, 2011 at 7:45 am

How do you think Bos/NY make all that money, Blade? The ads per game rate must be off the chart.

“This latest bout of figeting by Nomar Garciaparra brought to you by Ritalin.”

“Thin interminable wait between pitches is brought to you by Ambien.”