A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Keeping the Dream Alive

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 13, 2011

I’ve spent the last month drowning in the misery of my own bad predictions. I was certain the D-backs would fold as the Summer wore on, we would steamroll past them in early September and head to our *now* rightful place in the playoffs. Whoops…..

So I’ve concocted a new dream and it seems infinitely more likely to unfold than the last one. It’s *The Wild Card Dream*. Atlanta’s lost 4 straight and if the D-Backs aren’t going to ever lose 2 games in a row again then why can’t it be the Braves who pull-a-Padres from 2010 and hiccup their way to an earlier than planned off season? In the dream, I have conveniently left out St. Louis since I really don’t have time to be dreaming of leapfrogging 2 teams at this point in the season. But right now, with 15 to go and 6.5 out, I’d rather take my chances against a team that’s lost 4 in a row than a team that has laid waste to everything in it’s path since the all star break….

If it’s going to happen, it’s going to have to happen like it did last night. Ross needs retain his one-game Bossness from last night, Pablo needs to keep crushing the ball and Beltran just has to pretend that he’s even slightly interested–despite last night’s game, he’s just gone through a week of paying less attention to the games than an entire class of unmedicated ADD kids. The good news is that he hates ATT Park so he will like the road trip they are about to embark on…..

In short, this is totally doable. It’s at least totally *dream-able*. Why not? Look, I’ve tried on the “Play the kids-Wait till next year thing” and it’s about two Falls too small. Uninteresting. And if you don’t like dream try some common sense. We are about to go on a 10-game roadie. Getting away from ATT could be just what we need. I know Carlos Beltran needs it. Playing on the road in half empty parks far away from the mind games that ATT has been playing on our hitters all year could just do the trick….

So I’ll get back to you guys a little later– gotta go dream out the rest of this and find out how it ends……

1. Sportdude said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:09 am

A three run homer. Who knew?

If we are winning enough to erase 6.5 we will pass the Cards too. Any news on Wilson?

2. willieD said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:16 am

Ed had a good post last night re: crawford. I was listening then, when belt had the long AB before being called out on questionable strike 3, then Sanchez hammers a double with one out. Crawford swings at the first pitch and pops out. That’s the kind of shit that’s killed them all year.
    Yesterday there was yet another of baggs bloggers who is calling for the kid to be starting SS for 2012. Pls, what has been the Giants downfall all year, and most esp during the run of suckitude that began in August and has continued up to last couple days? The inability to score enough runs, even when the pitching is great, to win, vs. anyone, home or away. Sorry, but Crawford has absolutely zero to do with that.
    Turned a nice DP last night…but the idea that sending him out ruined us is ludicruous. When it comes to getting on base or getting hits with RISP, he isn’t going to be any more help than f-ing whitey.

3. willieD said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:22 am

Runzler did get out of it last night, and he got the out he needed Sunday too, tho it was quite an adventure. romo looked great….so did Torres, sando, ross. Kepp had a great AB with a ball hit to deep right to move up a runner plus big hit Sunday, as did Huff. Keep on raking!

4. TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

Of course, all of this brings to mind one stirring question…how come willied’s second post isn’t listed under “Most Recent Comments”?

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

Oh sure. Now it is.

5. Nipper said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

Yeah!

6. blade3colorado said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:21 am

Anyone else see Ron Jaworski (one of my favorite insightful announcers) say a profanity last night? Yes, he did apologize.

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Pretty tame when you think about it. You ever watch that show LOUIE on F/X? They give a warning before it begins that it is for mature audiences, yadda, yadda, yadda and he says shit about 5-6 times an episode. The f-bomb is still the barometer of television decency standards apparently because they *do* bleep that when he says it. Obviously, nipper’s in charge over there.

7. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

Milestone closing in with Panda now at 19 dingers for the year. After the missed time due to injury and some hurting since, he has nonetheless been pounding em out on a fairly regular basis, interspersed with that three doubles effort a couple days back. Twenty longballs is the benchmark anymore. Miss a good chunk of the season and still hit that mark and you are a recognized slugger. Provided the injury bug does not strike again and that he maintains his weight regimen, Panda could have a 2012 season that will meet the expectations many of us have been harboring since his arrival at The Show.

Surkamp seems to be the survivor type. At over 100 pitches in not quite a full six innings, one could say that he labored. Without Edlefsen’s inability to stifle the Pads, Eric would only have given up the single E.R. over that stretch. Right now he appears to having the makings of an adequate #5 starter, though, like so many of them, will tend to wear down the pen a bit as he slogs his way through those 5-6 innings. His first inning was very economical, only ten pitches or so. Kid keeps working on that and gets his pitch count down and he could become a very reliable fifth starter.

Romo is something else again. Anyone check out his WHIP and ERA lately? Outstanding. A proud product of the Giants system, Romo has become one of baseball’s outstanding setup men.

That kid catcher may still be pretty green with his fast rise from down in the pipeline, but he sure can peg. Two caught stealings on the Pads last night. Hopefully he gets sufficient starts that he can be sufficiently evaluated to the point where Sabean and company can decide whether or not they need to go out and get a backup for Buster.

Something like three more starts for Surkamp. They should tell the tale better than facing the Pads at home. Should Eric do no worse than he has so far he will establish a confidence level in upper management that will enable them to consider offers for Drrrrty Sanchez. If he goes via the trade route, he should not be sold off cheap. Some hitting rich team like Boston or New York would slaver at the chance of landing him. If those two could be paired off into a competition for his services the payoff could be a pretty damned good established hitter or a plus hitter accompanied by an excellent prospect or two.

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

Twenty longballs is the benchmark anymore
      ———————————————————————————–
      stix, it isn’t or it still is? To me 20 may not be the sign of a pure power hitter but its a benchmark of a guy with some quality pop. But yes, if not for injuries it appears Sandoval would be closer to his 2009 numbers

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:56 am

And again, the 25 dinger total of 2009 is not out of the question this year at all. He could even go higher.

8. Flavor said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’m much less sold on Surkamp then the rest of you. He gets into the 6th yesterday and doesn’t record a K the entire game? His SO ratio in the bigs is bearing no relation to what he did in the minors. Anyway, he seems to be a nibbler with average control and no strikeout/out pitch. Bad trifecta to have…..

• willieD said, on September 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm

agreed, pure #5 guy, i. e. if you get him 8 like last night, it’s probably enough. But realize, even with the evil one activated, surkamp is keeping him out of the rotation. Interesting to see what happens with back end of the rotation in the off season, and of course contractual negotiations with the others, pen included.

9. blade3colorado said, on September 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Interesting “before and after” photos of Panda this year, i.e., quite noticeable that he has gained weight (again), yet it hasn’t hurt his hitting . . . yet.

10. Flavor said, on September 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

well, that picture looks a little worse because his shirt is starting to fly out. He’s gained some weight. Clearly, there is a point that he gets too fat to hit (see: last year). He isn’t able to engage in the routine from the off season during the season, obviously. And even doing normal aerobic work probably isn’t happening with his various leg problems. He’ll probably be fine this Winter when he has LESS work to do than he had last year.

• Nipper said, on September 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

It’s tough to lose weight…….if you like to eat.

11. TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

You may not know this, but I wasn’t always a detective. Before they pinned this murder rap on me I had one of the sweetest little set-ups in San Francisco. Baby photographer. It was better than a legitimate business. It was profitable.
    Yeah, but I was cut out for this kind of life. All my life I wanted to be a hardboiled detective like Humphrey Bogart or Dick Powell or even Alan Ladd. It only took brains, courage, and a gun… and I had the gun. Look, here’s my latest invention, right here – a camera with a keyhole lens. Takes pictures right through doors. I’ve been kicked out of five hotels already. Just went on my first case, hired by a beautiful doll. An hour later we were at the Poulet d’or – one of those real swanky cafés where they eat mink for breakfast. The case didn’t make any sense. Said her uncle was trying to convince everyone she was insane. She was off her gourd, all right. Nutty as a fruitcake, and with all that beautiful frosting. But she kept pushing. I said to her, I said “What kind of a sucker do you take me for? Just because you’re a girl and… I’m a boy and you’re… throwin’ those big blue eyes at me and… you’re lettin’ me put my arms around you… you lemme hold you close… even closer… you think you can get me to do anything you want.”
    Then she kissed me. I said “What do you want, baby?

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Sorry. I was falling alseep

• Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm

“Then she kissed me. I said “What do you want, baby?”

She wants Chinatown Ted.

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

She gets it, my friend

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Mr. Hammett would be proud!

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks but ripping off a Bob Hope film. MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE

12. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

When I featured Eric as one of my first prospects of the day, I noted that his stuff didn’t seem to be in line with his awesome minor league K numbers.But he is projected as better than a five,. and how does one not like his poise? He seems pretty unflappable. And as I and someone else have noted-he’s the only obstacle in the way of The Return of the Zitman..

• stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Surkamp and Vogelsong look pretty similar in that unflappable quality. So long as he’s at least a five, i’m fine with him and have been since those Richmond numbers maintained. Anything more would be gravy on the plate, gas in the tank and money in the bank.

• willieD said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

“But he is projected to be better than a five…”
      OK, I’ll bite: How and why?
      Or maybe, when or where would be a better question, since I don’t see this guy supplanting cain lincecum bum or maybe even sanchez.

13. Flavor said, on September 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Luebke looks legit. I haven’t followed what he’s been doing this year but he’s got a very nice numbers. 1.04 WHIP, more than a K an inning and a .207 BA against. Shockingly, 5-9…..

14. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I know Fitzgerald’s numbers were not that great in AA, but the kid has been pitching his ass off in the Playoffs. Go Giants and a big go giant Flying Squirrels.

15. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yeah, and then with Luebke on the mound they trot out the likes of Cabrera and NoWhitey. I would have preferred Lil’ Lord Fauntleroy and Hector to that pair. Hope Bochy’s intuition is working on that one, cause it sure didn’t look like sound reason to me.

16. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

It’s not intuition. Starting Font against a left hander would be intuition. left handers are hitting .164 aganst him.

17. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Panda

18. DJLoo said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:09 pm

How done must Rowand be if no one would take him for free? I thought some contender (a young team like AZ?)would scoop him up just for his experience and gamer rep…

19. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Try to get over him. He’s gone. Unless he left with something that belongs to you, try to buck up,Loo.

20. Flavor said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Loo— I was surprised by that, too. Neither the Phillies or the White Sox wanted him? Can you imagine the number of balls he’s swung at in his batting cage at home? Millions?

21. Flavor said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Cabrera and Whiteside were particularly useless in their at bats that inning. I know that no one cares about how bad they are at baseball, it’s just an accepted fact. But you can’t tell me that Crawford or Sanchez would have done worse than that.

22. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Cain just saved El City Councilman’s butt. Vera can go and make her famous meat and jello surprise for some other fine city.

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

For the life o’ me, I can’t figure out how Ted did NOT use the word “moll” in his Mickey Spillane bit.

Ted, movie buff that you are, am I right in saying the last line of one of my faves is: “Forget about it, Jake. It’s Chinatown”?

• Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Pawlie – I just threw in the “She wants Chinatown Ted” as kind of a joke (not a very good one), the Spillane ref would seem about right to me although I never read much from him and I wasn’t sure where Ted got it from. The quote you mention from Chinatown is probably right, for some reason (maybe the same reason that most folks say it’s, play it again Sam, from Casablanca) I just remember the line as “it’s Chinatown Jake, forget about it”.

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Both of you motherfuckers are right and yet still wrong.
      It’s why I luv ya both, ya mugs

24. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Forget Crawford, the mistake is playing him at all.
    I never did get Whitey, though.

25. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

And so it goes.

26. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm

God dammit.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Fuckmeroyally. Twice.

28. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

You just couldn’t blame Matty if he went berserko savage crazy on the water cooler right now. Go ahead, you have my blessing.

29. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Isn’t Mota sposta be the longman? WTF did Bochy use him as the fireman to relieve Lopez?

• twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Everybody gets moved up when Wilson and Affeldt go down. Stix, you are a 24-carat second guesser. Mota has performed all roles since he’s been here.It was the 7th, Romo and Casilla are the 8th and 9th. Ramirez has been spotty and pitched 1.1 yesterday. Romo went 1.,2. Who did you have in mind? Waldis?

30. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm

can’t get vid stream; anybody know a link for free audio? deep bow, in advance

31. Big flavor said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Bochy’s pen management has been obscure lately.
    We have to win this game.

• twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm

The other option was Waldis, See above.

32. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

4 games in progress; 3 of ’em tied

33. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Twelve hits and all of two runs. At least the team BA may have taken a jump all the way up to .239.

34. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Our scoring algorithm defies premises that have held up throughout Western civilization: when you have twice as many hits as your opponent and fewer errors, the laws of astroturfical and quotidian physics determine that you must — must! — score at least one more run than your existential foe.

35. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

What is all this telepathy business about Pawlie?

36. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Well, Ford didn’t bring the magic back this year, either.

37. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Ford is a dingbat. Two caught stealings (or pickoffs) lately and now this. Dump him.

38. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Eli proved me wrong, come on Bat.

39. dirtnrocksnreno@yahoo.com said, on September 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Just another reason neck tats are lame.

40. James said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Romo was determined to defy Kruk.

41. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm

No OT, please. Come on Giants lets get it done.

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Now gimme some of that ol’ familiar magic, the walk-off variety, as seen many times this year, way back in May, for example.

43. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

1:26am; just sayin’

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm

pshaw… who needs sleep. no stream tonight, not sure where is Koz. Local radio only (though knbr will re-broadcast a radio web stream at midnight, I think — in case you wanted to stay up late to listen. John and Dave are quite entertaining) 🙂

44. Macdog said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm

D-Backs take a 5-4 lead in the 10th on . . . a bases-loaded walk, of course.

45. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I’m having a great time BUT do it now Giants.

46. Bozo said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Thats it for me
    Adios

47. Sportdude said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Just tuned in. Amazing how this team can be so bad collectively. 13 hits two runs. Impossible

48. Sportdude said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Where is huff? I don’t see him in lineup, replaced or on the bench?

• Macdog said, on September 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Pill started, Huff was set to pinch-hit for him in the 7th, the Pads brought in a lefty, and DeRosa then came in to pinch-hit for Huff.

49. Sportdude said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Thanks on Huff. We lose many games like this because our guys are freakin useless at giving them selves up to move runner over. As I type we win!!!!

50. Macdog said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

DeRose de-does it again!

• Macdog said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

DeRosa. Hey, it’s late.

51. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

De Rosa comes through!

52. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Thank you and good night, o magical walkoff gods and goddesses.

53. stixwiz said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Finally the flailing and frustration end up in a win as the old pro batsman flicks one in. Draggy game, but a win is a win is a win. Nite all.

54. TedSpe said, on September 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm