A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Stunning News of Bow Tie’s Departure

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 15, 2011
          I still haven’t been able to find out much more info than we heard last night. Neukom has been forced out by The Giants Executive Committee. The reasons have to do with poor communication and making decisions, mostly financial, without consulting the committee.
          I’ve got no idea who is on the committee, what power they wield in day to day operations or what their expectations were of Neukom. Maybe he was brazenly shunning their input, ignoring their recommendations and failing to collaborate or even communicate major financial decisions  to them. Since it looks like they hold some type of obvious power over whether he keeps or loses his position, that was probably a pretty big error on his part. I mean, how many of us could do the things listed above in our own workplaces and still retain our jobs? We’d all be fired….
          So if all of that is true, I can at least see where the *committee* is coming from. But as a fan of the team and the game, this decision turns my stomach……
          When Neukom took over for Magowan in October of 2008 he was walking into a disorganized mess. The team was still stuck in the transition from the steroid era, they were drowning in terrible contracts, the fan base was disillusioned and the team had just completed it’s 4th straight losing season. So he rolled up his sleeves, straightened his bow tie, and went to work. He wrote “The Giants Way” and made it the guiding constitution of the organization. At the time, it was mocked by many as some sort  of corny Boy Scout pledge of allegiance. And yet as last  season wore on and we ended up winning the World Series, we came to find out how important The Giants Way was to establishing order and purpose back to the organization….
           Personally, I was drawn to his appreciation of Sabermetrics. I think he had a huge influence in helping Sabean use these complex numbers that help evaluate talent and statistics in today’s game. I think this had a direct impact on the turnaround of the franchise…….
           Oh, and as a fan I was fairly happy with the fact that the team won a World Series on his watch. And since then he has made financial decisions with a clear intent to continue to try to help the team improve and not just rest on their laurels on last year. As a fan, that’s what you want your owner to do. As a *Committee Member*, you are angered by this and prefer the money be diverted to a Rainy Day Fund. Please, can someone explain to me what the hell that is?
           But my full appreciation for Bow Tie came last August when I read one of WilcoJoe’s posts from the Houston Series he attended. I’ve re-posted it below. Besides the fact that we get a true glimpse of what kind of guy he is (a fan, just like all of us) I was struck by the metaphor of the moment: He’s sitting alone at a road game–no committee members in sight. While he’s consumed with the details of an 11 inning nail biter, the *committee members* and Baer are probably holed up in some office in San Francisco pouring over the latest financial statements of the team. I wonder if they even had the game on……

wilcojoe said, on August 21, 2011:

“…I was really enamored by him (Neukom) sitting there by himself for the entire 11 innings…You know they always show shots of Larry Baer at AT&T and he’s always gabbing with someone.. It’s a wonder he’s never been hit in the head by a Cody Ross bat…The Astros soon to be former owner McLane sits in the first row behind homeplate, so as to always be in the camera’s angle..Plus he leaves everygame around the 6th inning…But seeing Neukom there, cupping hands to mouth, quietly cheering on his team was a revelation to me…The guy is probably as big a fan as all of us here…That’s the kind of leader you hope to have, but rarely will ever see…Especially in today’s big business of professional sports.”

As a fan of the team and  as someone who loves the game of baseball, I’m disgusted by the news that came out last night……….

1. DennisZ said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:00 pm

If Huff can get his bat going (as Beltran/Pablo/Cody) have done, then this Team will be capable of 8 runs every game…….
    In any case…….. another good night’s sleep expected!

2. James said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Since 8/15, the Giants are 6/7 in save chances in the spots Wilson would have pitched.

• twinfan1 said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm

That does not support your theory, James. They also lost four. Only Casilla has been acceptable, and he’s always been closer material

• James said, on September 16, 2011 at 8:35 am

The very small sample size apart, it absolutely supports my “theory,” such as it is. The bullpen by committee has been installed 7 times in those “high pressure” save situations reserved for Wilson and they’ve succeeded 85% of the time. That “role” and the dubious measure used to define the relative effectiveness and contribution of the player in it is what’s at issue. There’s no question that Wilson is an excellent reliever, and valuable contributor nor is there any doubt that holding off the other team in a game’s final inning is somewhat more “critical” than doing so in the 7th or 8th. It just doesn’t matter that much, though, if Wilson makes his contribution in the “set up” or “closer” role.

As for the losses, If any came in tie games where Wilson would have successfully pitched an inning, presumably the other non-closers would have been in a position to fail just the same in a later inning in which the stakes are just as high.

3. stixwiz said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I found this game highly offensive! Third recent 8-run outburst highlighting the Pandacycle and Vogelsong hitting damned near as well as he pitches. Arizona may be getting just a tiddle nervous. Most important thing is that essentially starting with the dropping of Rowand and Tejada, this team decided not to just roll over and die. Had the injuries been minimal this season i would suspect that SF would have won the hundred games i thought would be the case.

4. Big flavor said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I was super confident that the sun dressed chick from the train last Sat was responsible for this streak. Now I’m thinking DennisZ has something to do with it. 🙂
    No one in the country is paying attention to this….except all of the Giants fans littered across the country. This is totally doable.

• DennisZ said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

That clubhouse has got to be fired up…. !!…… It’s the jibs flowing from the fans here, the fans at the away games and the fans waiting at AT&T for the return trip…………….
      and BF, I’m not going to be putting on any sun dress to help the cause!

• Big flavor said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm

You came a little after the sun dress chick story. I was waiting for the train to go to the gm last Sat. Out of no where this chick with a huge rack is running full speed to catch the oncoming train. At the time, I described the scene as two cats fighting underneath her dress. She barely makes the train but then gets kicked off 3 stops later for not having a ticket. I took an iPhone pic of her before her inglorious exit and installed her as our blog mascot. That was 5 wins ago….

5. blade3colorado said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Panda was nearly half my hits on one of my FL teams . . . OH YEAH! Keep the run going Giants!

• Big flavor said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Ha! On the team I have him on I had his 4 hit plus 5 bombs tonight and I only hit .313. How is that possible? Lol. Good luck the rest of the way in our lg Blade. You’ve been fun as hell to play against.

• blade3colorado said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Tip my hat to you too Flav . . . You’re the MAN this year (not going to give up though . . . grin).

6. DennisZ said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Flav, Send the picture to the Giant clubhouse… and tell them it’s their lucky charm! Maybe they’ll picture that big rack when their at the plate!

7. twinfan1 said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Well, they haven’t lost since I said they could win out. That will be a tough one but if they do, I’ll replace Cameron as KING OF THE WORLD!!!!
    KING

8. twinfan1 said, on September 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I know that’s not technically a prediction, but I’ll celebrate like it is.

9. zumie said, on September 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Well, Ray Ratto is on record as blaming the Burns daughters for Neukom’s ouster. He believes they felt left out of decisions for the organization, and as the biggest share-holders, they want more input. OK, let’s not really think about that.

10. willieD said, on September 15, 2011 at 10:59 pm

ratto acquitted himself nicely on the post-interview wrap up, I thought. Must have realized he didn’t stir up enough shit to get himself talked about. I’m sure this is a case of “those that know ain’t talking”, etc.