A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Half Way Home

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 20, 2011

On September 12th, when I wrote “let’s go 14-2 the rest of the way and see what happens” I didn’t realize that I was being the voice of a doomer. Still with 2 losses to play with, now we only need to go 7-2 to get to 90 wins. And since we will probably be required to sweep Arizona to get there, I’m looking at both the WC and the division title as possibilities. Look, Atlanta is not playing very good ball right now. Watching Kimbrel wander off the mound in a daze after giving up that Infante bomb made me think they are in more trouble than losing a single game. They are still on the road and then have to finish with 3 against Philly. The Braves are a wide open target right now. I’m trying to get worked up to worry about the Cardinals but their pitching just isn’t doing it for me. True, they have an awfully easy schedule the rest of the way, but if Houston plays them like they played us we have nothing to worry about in terms of passing the Cards…..

Really, it’s a simple plan. Make up a game a day against at least one of those 3 teams and we might be playing the final game of the season with either the WC or the division on the line………

But first things first. We get Kershaw right out of the game. Then Eveland. Then Kuroda. Two of three is mandatory and I swear to God if the one loss is against that chump Eveland my infuriation (my made up word for losing to bad pitchers) will explode from here to the moon…….

Final thought: Does Bochy sit Huff for Pill tonight? My gut says he does and it’s the right call……

1. Giant Head said, on September 20, 2011 at 6:44 am

I queried my one Braves fan friend here and said if the a Braves Tree falls, does anyone in Atlanta here it?

His reply: “probably not.” Worst fans in baseball don’t deserve this…

• Nipper said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:05 am

In the South …….it’s FOOTBALL!

2. Flavor said, on September 20, 2011 at 7:02 am

I don’t know about how bad their fans are but they consistently have the hottest pieces of asses in those seats from every single camera angle……..

• Nipper said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:04 am

BF has a sharp eyes!

3. zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:40 am

The most surprising thing, to me, in Henry’s article about Belt at SFGate today is that Belt has struck out 51 times in 181 ABs. One of the things that the real good hitters do is having a way of fouling off tough two-strike pitches instead of taking so many called-third strikes. Belt will get it figured out. He’s talented, and is highly motivated to get better. His strke-out rate so far is what you’d expect out of a straightforward slugger-type, and that’s not his game.

4. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:41 am

Wowza! Giants continue to win and I kick ass in Las Vegas. Yes, boys and girls – I came home with Caesar’s money (as well as the money I brought there too). Sweet! So, having been gone since Thursday, I am happy to note the Rocks folded against the GMen while I was gone. Keep the mojo coming “Sun Dressed Goddess!”

By the by, anyone who frequents Las Vegas, especially during the weekend, when there seems to be just about every card carrying gorgeous chick on Planet Earth sporting their official form fitting short black dress – please answer this question . . .

Are these “ladies of the night,” i.e., prostitutes; or, are they “legit” hot babes just there for a good time? My friends and I were seriously confused, since not all were with the stereotypical “Fat, middle age, porterhouse steak eating, cigar chomping” man. Other than that conundrum, Las Vegas was rocking as usual.

• Giant Head said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Blade, I got a good Vegas story for you…

There with buiddies in Mandalay Bay staying at the THE Hotel for the start of March Madness, which happens to be on St. Patrick’s Day. We are coming back from a hungover Vegas breakfast and turn the corner to head to our hotel lobby which goes right by the sports book. There is this inccredibly hot co-ed kind of hanging at the men’s bathroom by the sports book. She has me a “Kiss Me I’m Irish” hat and oh so hot and oh so college aged! She gives me a big smile and I am thinking that the Giant Head still has it (I was probably around 40 couple of years ago) and I am strutting around as a peacock.

We head to the pool and one of my buddies hangs out at the casino. Couple of hours later he sees the same Irish chick hanging at the exact same spot and light bulb goes off….she is a whore!!!

So to answer your question, I think it is highly likely a good percentage of those girls are working it! I am told by my buddies who get there a lot more than I do that these working girls fly in from California on Fridays and work Vegas all weekend and then head back to their homes in California.

5. twinfan1 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’m going to be doing most, if not all, of my commenting, in “B”. Please visit, as there will always be interesting topics and dooming is not allowed in “B”. The Baseball Tragedies topic has been quite successful, it’s an example of what you’ll see there.

6. stixwiz said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:31 am

Cys this one up. Winner of two of the last three Cy Young awards pitching tonight against this year’s presumptive winner going for his 20th. Can a pitching matchup get more exciting? So far this season Kershaw has shut down a dispirited Giants offense while the LaBumbos so-so offense has squeaked out just enough tallies for the LaLaLanders to prevail over Timmy.

So Kershaw, facing a more fired-up offense than the Giants managed to muster before this year against his offerings; will be all pedal to the metal to get his 20th and nail down his first Cy at age 23. Meanwhile, Lincecum also has something to prove: Who’s the best in the West? From outward appearances Timmy can seem a bit lackadaisical to some. But watch his eyes.

This could be a duel for the ages. Perhaps not so scintillating as the Warren Spahn vs Juan Marichal game back in the day before pitch count mania where both starters went 16 innings and the game, fittingly, went to the Dominican Dandy 1-0 on a Willie Mays home run. But against all odds (which seemed insuperable just over a week ago) the Giants have gone on an 8-0 run and are now in this thing. So there’s a whole bunch on the line, a lot more than the pride of a couple of dominant starters. This is serious, meaningful, late-September baseball. Yes! And who more appropriate to be facing than the ace of the Bums. Eff football in September. Baseball counts till the fat lady sings.

My motto for tonight: “Stay Alive with #55”.

7. twinfan1 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

New thread in “B”- “Basesball’s Greatest Comebacks”. I’ve started with Roberts’ steal and Mueller’s RBI to start the greatest playoff comeback in baseball history..if the Sox could do it against Rivera, we can do it against Kershaw- this is the biggest game of the streak.

8. snarkk said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:20 am

Go Timmeh…

9. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Boras must be delusional (umm . . . granted – as a fox) for saying the following regarding Beltran:

“Boras also doesn’t look at Beltran’s next contract as his last, meaning the Giants could be in the mix even if they make an offer to Beltran of two or three years. Boras, of course, also wants as many bidders as possible. Beltran’s decision also could be affected by what happens with the two highest-profile sluggers in free agency: Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.

“He’s still only 34, so he has a chance to have one more big contract,” Boras said.”

• Nipper said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:04 pm

34 is old for a ballplayer. Most get injured or slow down. Do not sign this overrated guy. Stay away from Boras. He plays the Giants for fools.

• Giant Head said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Boras is a true ass..I would be very wary on Beltran. I ge tmy leadoff hitter first, trade for a slugger and then see what the new management group is willing to take payroll…there shoudl be room to push to $130 mill with the other salaries coming off the books…

10. Macdog said, on September 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Amazing win by Florida last night. Talk to any Mets, Phils or Braves fan and they’ll all agree on one thing: The Marlins are an annoying pain in the ass.

Can’t wait for tonight. Of course the Dodgers were going to factor in all this, as they usually are.

• shaman138 said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Talk to any Giants fan and they’ll say the same thing about the Marlins.

11. Giant Head said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Friends back home in the Bay Area had an excellent idea. Make Kershaw voodoo dolls and stick them with nails…I will be making one tonight when I get home!!!

12. Giant Head said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm

To keep the power of the Sun Goddess going, she is now my screen saver…

13. twinfan1 said, on September 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Come on- let’s get some posts on greatest comebacks. There’s a link to the right.

14. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

GH, regarding your Vegas post – Yeah, that’s what I figured too. Unbelievable how many that are there. I was at Paris hotel last June and before that, I hadn’t been to Vegas since 5 years ago, where I saw Madonna at the MGM. My point is that I didn’t notice it as much back then as I have the last two times I’ve been there this year.

By the by, good story about the college hottie too 🙂

15. zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm

That looked like a balk from Kershaw. On the replay it looked like he was on the plate side of the imaginary 45 degree line. The umps aren’t consistent on that kind of call.

16. Flavor said, on September 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Timmy’s change up sucks tonight. It’s like the hitters know it’s coming……..

• TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I’m in a quandry. Is it his changeup? Or is it his four-seam fastball, two-seam fastball, three-finger changeup, circle changeup, palmball, curveball, slider, split-finger fastball, breaking ball….
      Sorry. I’ve just confused and confusing myself

17. stixwiz said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

No Pablo tonight. Whassup?

• EdGdsnInExile said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Stix, per SJ Mercury News’ Baggarly, Pablo’s shoulder’s so bad they’re not playing him vs. right-handers and Boche said he may need off-season surgery.

• stixwiz said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Thanx, Ed. Seems like half the L.U. is missing without Panda.

18. EdGdsnInExile said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Is Keppinger nicked up? I don’t recall reading anything. He’s 10 for 57 this month…

19. Big flavor said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Pablo might need surgery on his shoulder this off season. That further solidifies why he should have been the Willie Mac winner.
    Its his change up. It’s either not moving the way he wants it to or they know it’s coming. Sands bomb was him sitting on it.

• TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Just joking, Flav

20. unca chuck said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Timmy having himself a struggle . . .

21. Big flavor said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm

This outing by Timmy has been infuriating. Kershaw already is 3-0 against him this year. Az is losing to Pitt and Timmy is pitching ant-small.

22. Bozo said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm

The Giants may want to change their signs.

23. unca chuck said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Giving away 3 base runners is not a good way to beat Kershaw.

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I figured out Bochy’s current lineup philosophy (aside from matchups). It’s the Dos Equis Approach (DEA). In other words, “Stay thirsty, my friend.”

“You hit a bomb, maybe two? Grab some pine. There’s some guys on the bench who need to stay hungry. Now it’s your turn, Meat. Stay hungry, my friend.”

25. Big flavor said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Torres, Beltran and now Christian: this is just idiotic base running. Look, if you’re not picking up the dude’s move, guessing in the first 4 innings is just dumb.

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm

My tipping point is now: not watching the game, must get up at 7, 7:15. Do I indulge in SDG fantasies, watch the game, or check my bean sprout futures online?

27. unca chuck said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Wow. Brain-dead play by Kemp there.

• zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm

He forgot it wasn’t Whitey catching. (grin)

28. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Do not watch this game. Guaranteed CG victory by Kershaw. Get some sleep.

29. DennisZ said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

If Timmie can keep this at only 2 runs, these guys are on the fringe of stringing a few hits… (if they can somehow avoid getting thrown out)… Hoping they can ring up Kershaw” pitch count… currently 86.

30. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Give Timmy credit . . . He is battling his ass off, continuously getting out of trouble. He is doing well to only have given up 2 runs (3.00 ERA). Yeah, Kershaw is pitching better, but that’s not Timmy’s problem, that’s on the Giants hitters. Let’s get a frickin’ rally going dammit!

31. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

He will keep it at 2 runs. But there’s no way they’re getting 2 runs off of Kershaw. Bochy’s trotted his 4 automatic out line-up for Timmy, again. DeRosa batting clean-up? Torres? Good lord.

• zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:07 pm

He’s limited in choices. You think Huff, Belt, or Crawford are going to get good lefthanded swings off of Kershaw? And Pablo can’t swing righthanded these days.

• zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

The Whitey/Stew catching tandem stinks, but that’s more on Sabean than Bochy.

32. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Good point, just frustrating to watch.

33. DennisZ said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Love to see some magic here!…

34. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Huh. Stewart

35. DJLoo said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Stew-pendous!!!

36. DennisZ said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm

These guys are goo at the one run games… Winning this one would make them feel unbeatable!

37. Big flavor said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Ha! How perfect. I’m not certain, but I think that was his 10th RBI. Sannnnnnnn dawewwwwg!!!!!

38. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Balk?

39. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Bunt?

40. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Boverine?

41. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Panda up, DeRosa to 2nd?

42. DennisZ said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Sorry to repeat the thought….. but…………. a win here will uplift this team to be unstoppable….!
    Pablo’s time now

43. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Just a putrid AB by Beltran

44. DJLoo said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:35 pm

How about swinging, Beltrance?

45. DennisZ said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Carlos, they call that ‘protecting the plate’!…… Jansen was painting … but…man that was depressing.

46. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Screaming mimies time

47. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Have I mentioned how many times I love Romo?

48. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Bucs up 5-2. Gotta win this game!

49. zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

At least Panda took some good cuts at the ball; I don’t know what Beltran was doing.

50. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

do it

51. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Huff’s fucking due

52. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm

oops

53. Mach2 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Why in hell don’t you run Burriss right away?

• twinfan1 said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

It’s up to Burriss. He has to be able to get a jump. He wasn’t even getting a good lead.

54. TedSpe said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Fuck it. Season’s not over
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

55. DennisZ said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:55 pm

oh so close…

56. Bozo said, on September 20, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’m pissed right now, so logging off.

57. paulinasia said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm

4-1/2 out of wildcard, 5-1/2 (if AZ loses) out of the division, 8 to play. Which one is more doable?

• twinfan1 said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Division.IMO.
      Night.

• zumie said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

The problem for the Wild Card is, of course, catching two teams. And the Cardinals’ schedule is not tough. The Braves have a little tougher schedule, but who knows how motivated Philly will be that last weekend. They have zero incentive to help the Giants get to the playoffs. The Phils don’t want to play the Giants in the first round of the playoffs.

58. paulinasia said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Yeah, the 3 games in AZ seem to make the division possible… I said yesterday I really thought they had to sweep the Dogs and AZ, but I also figured they wouldn’t beat Kershaw. Sweep in Phoenix is now pretty much a must. Wildcard is closer but relies on Atlanta losing a bunch in this last week or so. Tough climb… Just hope they make it exciting and close. Seemed like they had their chances tonight, couldn’t get it done. No room for error anymore…

59. Macdog said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Bucs win.

60. twinfan1 said, on September 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Nice stuff in “B”, thanks.
    Ohlendorf 6.82 ERA against Miley tomorrow. Urp.