A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What Will The Team Look Like in 2012?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 28, 2011

I’m marginally behind Jenkin’s Chron article this morning. I agree we won’t be going after any of the big FA guys. Not because we don’t need them but because we’re going to start seeing that *rainy day fund* start to grow. I suspect it’s a fund that will actually be 10 mini-funds that are kept in the back pocket of each executive board member.

I’d be fine with Jimmy Rollins at SS I just don’t know if the contract years can get worked out. He’ll be 33 this November, I would think HE sees this as his last big deal. Could he get 4 or 5 years from someone? Maybe. We should only offer him 2. We have a few guys (Crawford, Panik, and Twin’s guy) who are in the plans big time and will be here in 2013 at the latest.

Cuddyer would be fine. He’s a little like Ty Wiggington only better. Bring him aboard if the money works….

All those words written by Jenkins and not a single mention of the obvious need for a back up catcher…..

And we need a center fielder. Badly. I’m not even thinking of Gary Brown until 2013……

The Flap Fantasy Baseball League Standings

(With a game to go, it looks like most of the spots are wrapped up. It would take an epic collapse on the final day for me not to take home the coveted broken-headed Rich Aurilia Bobble Head (first place). After I win him back from Blade who won him last year (though kept him with me) I will attempt to glue that goddamn head back on and hope that this time it sticks. This Winter, he can give me a furious knowing dude head nod whenever I order him to.)

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm

If my friend Dan Valenti were revising his book Clout, on great HRs, he’d have to add Longoria’s walkoff.

I just feel a bit melancholic that the D’backs did not collapse as the Red Sox and Braves just did. But that is just dreaming, because, well, the Giants did not win when they were supposed to — but I don’t want to admit that.

These last two hours were baseball-historic. Will be talked about for a long time.

ESPN just said ESPN had given Boston [or was it Yankees] a 100% chance of making playoffs, and the Rays less than 1%. First time Sox had lost in 77 games when leading after 8.

2. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Barry Larkin strikes me as ever so slightly swishy NOT THAT THERE’S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Yankees, Braves, and Boston all were within one out of winning — and lost.

3. xootsuit said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Longoria’s HR looked a lot like The Shot Heard Round the World. Not as significant, obviously, but just as, uh, cleanly hit into the short LF corner. The Shot Heard Round the Dome, for Evan. Helluva game.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

yeah, he just said it’s only a homer at that spot in the park

just saw some fabulous replays of great defensive plays in Atl-Phil game

and the whole night had awesome plays at the plate

a fan’s delight

4. paulinasia said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I know there’s a lot of East Coast/Red Sox hatin’ sometimes espoused here, but I really feel for the Sox and Braves fans. Somehow it makes the Giants’ not making it just that much more bearable…

• xootsuit said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I was pulling for two play off games tomorrow just to see them. But when the very rich Boston blusterers and the always annoying Atlanta native-american-killer/choppers go down, I don’t shed no tears. ON the other hand, the Giants were real close to being in this amazing finish.

5. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Actually BP did the percentages. They don’t divulge the full details, but’s similar to many other such tools where the data is accumulated and the season from the date of the projection is played on the computer hundreds or thousands of times. When the Giants were 97 percent, they got in the playoffs that percentage of the times the computer playrd the season from the date of the projection. It’s a valid tool, just as more important things like cancer survival are calculated in a similar manner. When these things are wrong, it’s a good thing- showing that, indeed- that’s why they play the games, or live the life. It’s still a valuable tool.

6. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Link to the right- what do you look forward to in this Winter of Our Discontent. Goodnight all. I’ll be in my room with the animals.

7. paulinasia said, on September 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Yes it is why they play the games, such a great game it is. It’s also surely understandable that the Sox were favored after picking up A-Gon and Crawford in the off-season. There’s never a guarantee for success.

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I don’t *hate* the Red Sox, it’s just that, sure, I used to pull for them as an underdog, but now I see them as Yankees 2.0. They have no right calling the Yankees the Evil Empire; they spend just as recklessly. Plus, it’s easy to pull for Tampa, despite a terrible stadium and fans who don’t show up.

atlanta? No love lost here

good night too tired to capitalize or puctuate or spell

9. unca_chuck said, on September 29, 2011 at 8:47 am

Yeah, it’a kinda hard to pick between StL and Atl. LaRussa and the Chop. I hate ’em both. Yeah, hate. Thankfully the Cards will get crushed by the Phillies in round 1. Would love to see the Brew Crew make the WS . . . Still think Texas makes it again . . .

Boston fails at the expense of Tampa? Classic.