A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Talkin’ Football, Niners By the Bay…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 10, 2011

It’s amazing how quickly baseball has switched out in my brain with football taking over. I tried to watch some of the Brewers game yesterday–even had it on right next to the Niner game at the Sports bar I was at. I just couldn’t do it. It could be that the pace of the two games are so different. I love the pace of a baseball game when I’m watching it, especially live. But putting it next to the helter-skelter violence and speed of a football game? Baseball is a cerebral game, football is an ADHD game. I like both but trying to watch them at the same time? I dunno, it just didn’t work for me. It could also have to do with me not really giving a rip about any of the teams left in the playoffs. Say what you will about the Yankees but the drama, the anticipation of the game, just isn’t really there without them. I just had to go to Yahoo sports to see who won the Tigers/Rangers Game and saw it was postponed due to weather. I had no idea……

The other possible reason I didn’t get into the Brewers game is that I am swimming neck deep in a re-birth in NinerLand. Football is fun again. Alex Smith is now the 3rd highest rated passer in all of football. After five games, let that fact sink in if you even can. And where the Hell did Carlos Rogers come from? I mean, I know he played for the ‘Skins but this guy is a revelation. He’s like the 2nd coming of Eric Wright. And what I’m most impressed with is not his picks (those are great, though) it’s how well he reads routes. The dude is certain of what play is coming and he cuts off everything. Unreal.

My favorite quote from Alex Smith yesterday? Easy: “I don’t think it’s some big, magic thing. WE JUST CONTINUE TO LEARN and improve.” It’s sad that Smith was coached by two fools for so many years. I mean, I know Nolan and Sing didn’t *coach* him. But they did nothing but get in the way of his development and success. He’s now got a coach who believes in him and who COACHES him and who is installing an offense that utilizes these skills. I’ve always thought that Harbaugh sees himself in Smith–a guy who had skills, maybe not to be *Joe Montana*, but a guy who would develop later in his career……

Anyway, I’ll keep the baseball game on in the background and will check the box scores every day. Maybe catch a few highlights at mlb.com. But the rest of my sports-watching time will be 100% focused on The Motor City. Bring on the Lions, baby. That will be a tough one to win……

1. Nipper said, on October 10, 2011 at 8:54 am

BF ……I feel the same. The Niners are a can’t miss now. Their D is very entertaining. And the offense with the O line opening holes for Gore and Hunter is devastatingly effective. Alex is getting the right touch on the ball with the good protection. Bring on the Lions!

2. Big flavor said, on October 10, 2011 at 8:56 am

Nip? 49 word post? Nice!

3. dirtnrocksnreno said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

The 49ers stepping up their game has been great. It is nice to ba able to watch more than half a game again. I don’t pretend to know a lot about football but it seems like the D has been there for a few years now and the O just needed to be at least middle of the pack. Sort of like another SF team we all know. A 40+ point explosion though? Wow.

4. ewisco said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:42 am

can’t watch the playoffs. hate the brewers and possibly hat the cards worse. have no use for texas and can’t get excited about tigers. so. That being said though, it is nice to have the 9ers filling the void again. with stanford ascendent it’s once again a good time in the bay area. there was a time no too long ago when cal football was as far as it went. and when you have the weenies as the only winner, well, let’s just say it’s not a good time.

5. Macdog said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

Flav, great analogy as far as trying to watch football and baseball at the same time. I’m also having a hard time getting into the playoffs, a small price to pay for a quick but very satisfying Yanks’ demise. Cards-Brews, heck, it was hard to get fired up for this matchup in the ’82 World Series. I dare anyone to recall whatever the defining moment was from that Fall Classic, because I sure as hell can’t.

6. Sarge said, on October 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

During a commercial break from the Niners game, they cut away to highlights from the Brewers/whoever game. The action of the baseball game was glacial compared to football; and in that instant I knew that I would probably not intentionally watch another pitch until February……I have to admit, there was some minor basking after that 9ers game. A nice reminder of how it felt in the glory days when we expected to win every game and routinely delivered savage beatings.

7. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Another Montana? Now this gets misunderstood often, so I really don’t want Joe-ficiandoes going postal here. One of the reasons the WCO was developed is because it was a QB friendly offense- some very mediocre QBs were able to step in for Joe when he was injured and perform very well. Joe was the best in it but not because he was the most talented QB, far from it. He was the smartest and the coolest- those were the “skills” that the offense demanded, not the biggest arm or the fastest feet. The point being, Smith may never be Joe, but there’s no reason he shouldn’t be one of the better WCO QBs ever- he’s smart,very analytical, he certainly has any physical tools needed, and his spread background is very conducive to running the WCO. A perhaps little noticed stat, “Checkdown Charlie” is averaging 8.87 Yds. per Att, the last two games, 4th highest in the league. Harbaugh was limiting the offense more because of the OL than anything else- as they improved, Alex has had the time to get some of those “chunk” gains.

8. ewisco said, on October 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

some of that increase is a little better accuracy, possibly from having a better line, that results in higher YAC. that’s another of Joe’s little discussed “skills”: he hit his receivers in the hands, in stride so very little thought was required by the receiver, allowing more focus on what to do once the ball was caught.

9. Flavor said, on October 10, 2011 at 10:55 am

Twin– I agree all that, I just use the name *Montana* to stand for super bowls and winning. I remember Montana’s skill set clearly, including his deficits. What was he, a 3rd round pick? If he was coming out of college today I think his stock would fall further than that after he did the combine.
    And I agree, barring injury and if he stays with Harbaugh, he could definitely be one of the best WCO QB’s ever though I doubt he’s accurate enough to pull that off.

10. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 11:02 am

The first 2 or 3 games, he was constantly throwing with pass rushers in his face, you’re going to see a lot of checkdowns from any QB when that’s the case. And obviously, hitting the receiver in perfect stride is more difficult. At any rate, what a pleasure it’s been.. I recall last year I said that I thought that one day Smith might become one of the most beloved Bay Area athletes, it might happen sooner than I thought. He might even give a good name to humble, hard working, gracious athletes- what a novel thought…

11. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yeah, it has been a question of mine from the get-go. Beyond the patently obvious one of Smith never having an offensive minded coach. And that is, the pass routes being run by the offenses Smith has been a part of.

Rare were the routes the called for Smith to hit people in stride. 9 routes, deep sideline passes, even the deep seam that worked so wel early in VDs career seemed to all go away. I’m assuming the coaches back then designed routes that would hopefully get the passes out quick, amd therefore keep Smith from getting hit, but the problem is, defenses would not have to even worry about deep passes, and keep everything in front of them, and therefore hit our WRs immediately when they catch passes. No yards after the catch. Harbaugh played it slow with the team as he integrated the passing game he is installing. Take a look at the passes yesterday. The deep crossing route to Crabs was the FIRST pass like that thrown in years. The sideline route to Crabs last week that split the zone is another. Downfield passes are the biggest way to get teams out of loading the box.

Something that has now been accomplished. Which is why the run game is now doing very well.

New post on my blog BTW . . .

12. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

I would be remiss to not mention slants in that post. Something I’ve been ranting about for YEARS.

13. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

With all the (justified) buzz about Rodgers, revisionists believe that Aaron was the clearly better QB coming out of college. In fact, Aaron and Alex were indeed 1-2, or 2-1, it was a virtual toss up. And of course we’ll never know how each would have fared in the other situation. A lot of football people think the Niners would have destroyed Rodgers- and who knows if he would have had the gumption to gut out 7 years in the asylum..

14. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on October 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm

With all the “big teams” out of it now, these ratings probably won’t hold, but FWIW regarding this interest in this postseason:

“Game 5 of St. Louis Cardinals/Philadelphia Phillies delivered 8,389,000 total viewers, making it the most watched NLDS game on cable ever.

“Detroit-NY Yankees Game 5 was the highest-rated and most-watched Division Series game ever on cable television delivering a 6.2 U.S.HH rating and 9,720,000 viewers. (2007 ALDS Game 4 – Cleveland @ NY Yankees – 5.9 U.S. HH rating, 9,232,000 total viewers).

“Detroit-NY Yankees Game 5 was the highest-rated and most-watched Division Series game on either broadcast or cable since 2005 (ALDS Game 5 – NY Yankees @ LA Angels – 8.9 HH rating, 13,700,000 total viewers).

“Detroit-NY Yankees Game 5 was the highest-rated and most-watched telecast on TBS since Game 6 of 2010 ALCS, which delivered a 7.2 U.S. HH rating, 11,863,000 total viewers.”

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2011 at 1:14 pm

As good as the ratings were, they were unbelievably trounced by all the college and NFL games held during the same time slots. No comparison . . . which is sad, when you consider that these are not only regular season football games (albeit, the college games have more significance insofar as Bowl appearances), but at the beginning of their respective seasons too.

15. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on October 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Baseball gets no respect as an “exciting” sport. Now, if there were land mines in the outfield….

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

If it happens, then it will be in Texas where the Astros have that damn hill in the outfield. Ha.

16. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’ve always thought that a designated double play breaker upper would add some spice. And give Patrick Willis something to do in the off season..

17. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Actually, Bo knows banking . . . I understand he is making money hand over fist as a part owner of a regional bank.

18. snarkklleycuddles said, on October 10, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I’ve barely watched/listened to the baseball playoffs. Don’t have a dog in the hunt. I was leaning to the Dbacks, just as a matter of the NL West. Anyway, if forced to choose, I’d rather see Texas v. the Brewers. That’ll guarantee somebody who hasn’t gotten a championship yet, gets one. Bottom line, ABL = anybody but LaRussa….

19. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yeah, I’ve been pulling for Texas. No reason. Maybe it’s because of Cliff Lee . . .

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on October 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’m still thinking Tampa Bay can climb out of the deficit through sheer force of will and I I I will win Twin’s contest!!!

20. stixwiz said, on October 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Wow! Baseball talk on the Flap, even with SF outta the playoff picture and this particular blogment dedicated to the hopelessly regional Niners. NFLootBall is that way dontcha know. Baseball is more truly national. Don’t know much about NBA any more and haven’t attended one of their contests since paying 75 cents admission at the Minneapolis National Guard Armory in ’59 or ’60. Don’t remember who the Lakers were playing, or even if they won. Can’t even tell you without cheating (looking it up over the net) whether George Mikan was still playing.

Though i was an official Andy Frain usher at the Metrodome for the first ever Vikings game, i only pay attention to them if stuck indoors in October or early November (remember, Minnesota tends to have much more weather than climate)…even down there in the Sitties (where most people make their daily bread sitting on their asses one way or t’ other). Whether or not that make much sense to you, i must tell you that its not sins; but the harvest was wholesome since late April and still there a couple three, four pepper plants hanging out in the south garden ~ along with some highly invasive, extremely hardy, incredibly reproductive, trans-seasonal cherry-tomatoes.

Been rebuilding the stone wall around that garden. It’s rubble and pebbles and even some bowling-ball stones, because my preference is to keep the more flat and balanced-angular rockpile finds for more seriously construction (building-type) uses. My inherited ’91 F-150 still gets treated pretty much with inner if not outer respect. Rated at a half-ton vehicle, but with slightly better than suburban suspension, i’m still a bit leery about stressing it past maybe 1,200 pounds of rock (so i would estimate), but more often 800-1,000 pounds.
    With weather more than climate, the Northwoods still remains a region best measured by it’s winters. So soon my focus must shift from earthworks to working the woods for both firewood and cookstove-sized stuff. Most of such wood as gets pickuped home over the next number of weeks will be from the ricks left out in the woods, all prepped for the 65 Huskvarna. So the cookwood harvest will immediately follow that of the remaining potatoes, onions, chard, beets, rutabagas, turnips and dried beans, as well as the previously cited veggies and three or four late-season herbs. Oops. Forgot the pair of largeish hubbard family squash mellowing out in slowly moistening and cooling weather.

Jeeze. Didn’t even mention the other mega-project. Last few weeks has been rainless ~till a few dribbles yesterday and a moderately steady drizzle for a couple hours this afternoon. South of the house, only some 50 feet on the other side of the now 40 foot Black Hills Spruce, sits my frogpond. Moved back here on Halloween of ’73 and, except for half a year hitchhiking around N.W. Europe and about a dozen years mostly on the road doing antique shows ~ been here ever since. Since ’96 i’ve been trying to prove that the only critter conceivably more dangerous than a Swede on a bulldozer is a Norwegian with a #2 spade. That’s a good part of how i stay in shape. You really should oughta, gotta, almost hafta do that by the time you’re 67.
    Project: Yes. Spring of ’75 was miserable even in the house for mosquitoes. One night my ace status threatened the record of Erich Hartmann, as the total mosquito kill reached 107 before sleepiness shut off the light.

Curiously, the hyperabundance of water in the slough-hole petered out as the spring advanced and by mid-late summer i had dug deeper and broader into the water-hole, enlarging old Selma’s dipping hole for her flowers into something which just kept growing and growing and by summer’s end was maybe 20×30 in area.
    So over the years, when things got dry, that #2 spade gets going and the pond becomes more and more of a frog paradise. Tough on mosquitoes, though.

Today got rainy after i’d only put in maybe an hour digging out a new area in the pond and building a causeway directioning to the other one built at the end of the 90’s. About 42 feet more to extend it. Sloughhole is peat on top, ranging in depth anywhere from a foot upwards, depending on how far one digs from the center of the depression. Upper level is full of slough-grass and reed-canary grass, the first aquatic and the latter semi-aquatic. Both have strong root-systems and can be nasty if you try to pull the plants above the surface without wearing gloves. And who the hell would wear gloves doing spadework at temps higher than 40 degrees or so?

Sweet peat sits beneath the root structure. Some of that wonderful, organic plant candy goes into the edges of that south-garden getting that new stone wall. With the sand and upper levels of clay dug out from beneath the new structure being transported to the westwarding causeway; there is a cleaned off zone, giving space for both the stones and for the peat behind them on gardenside. Peat is an excellent carbon source for hungry, growing plants. It also has a habit of wicking moisture upwards from the clay base into the plant-medium topsoil topside.

Back to baseball talk. Judging from the playoffs to date there is no probable postseason favorite looming over the 2012 season. Go Giants!!!

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Great post Stix . . . For whatever reason, I always think of you as the non-violent and much, much kinder anarchist Ted Kaczynski. Like him, you live in a secluded place and have become self-sufficient so that you live autonomously. Probably like Ted, you taught yourself survival skills such as tracking, edible plant identification, and how to construct primitive technologies. You’re one of the main reasons I come to this site.

21. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Never ever use a non-closer in non-hold situation…

22. Flavor said, on October 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

wow. I read every word of this. I only understood about 80% of the words I read but still.
    Stix, if I could snap my fingers and come live at your place for a week, doing all this shit you do from sunrise to sunset and beyond I would do it in a second. This is a life I know nothing about. Anyway, thanks for sharing. When I read posts like this I realize how different our worlds are in the same Country….

23. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I think that the world of Stix is one unto it’s own, i envy you, Stix. Btw, your new computer should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday- a PC seems like an intruder…

24. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Al Davis was a pioneer and one of the most influential men in the game- but I think everyone has gone far enough on the passing of Unca_Cuddles…

25. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Stix, that’s some crazy shit. A friend of my father’s went off the grid for 11 years. A Fairchild engineer. Quit his job. Built a house out of the surrounding rocks and trees. But he did it in the Hollister Hills on 150 acres he bought 50 years ago. Not quite the winters of northern Minnesota. I spent a month out there with him and his wife. What a gas it was. It was about a 12 mile drive off of some dirt road outside the OHV area down there. He had some chickens, tons of veggies, and grew his own wheat. Helped him cut down some trees and grind wheat for days . . .

I had my old ’71 landcruiser, and did a bunch of wheeling out there in the hills. What a blast.

26. willieD said, on October 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I’m coaching kids b-ball on Sundays, so I don’t catch a whole lot of tootball. But yesterday right before I left for practice I was trying to keep track of the end of the Raiders game, plus Saints, Giants, and start of Niners. Checked out CBS game tracker to find out what happened to Giants drive in the last minute, and then saw the pick 6 for 90 by eli.
    Great comments from Giants fans, one of whom said, “Contract the NFC East.”

27. willieD said, on October 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I will say this: I hope texas wins it for Wash. Not because he is some kind of genius, but because of how Beane screwed him over for mgr job and the philosophy espoused in Moneyball the book at that time vs now.
    In the book, Beane is enamored of Hatteberg, and tells Wash to work with the guy to make him acceptable enough defensively at 1b. Beane gets all the credit, while Wash did the extra work. To a man, the A’s IF guys loved him as a coach, and he would have been a great hire. But Beane chooses the useless Geren instead. Genius? f-ing hardly, it’s just a power trip.
    Funny too that Wash bemoaned the lack of base stealing under Beane in those days, something Beane has his team embrace now. The Angels and Texas have been doing it for years.. And since Beane is now so hung up on defense (and his team is so bad at it, giving up a ton of unearned runs) wouldn’t a coach with a defensive background have done his team some good?

28. stixwiz said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It sure isn’t the life for everyone, but on a personal basis i’m probably one of the happiest being busy and engaged people out there. Oh, there are more like me here and there back in the trees and whatnot. Not all of em are Giants fans, though.

It gets a bit wearisome on a dinged-up back and all, but those moments of knowing that i’m stuck smack, dab in the middle of living in the middle of paradise seems to make it all worth it. My suspicion is that if things come down like they seem to feel like doing, there will be quite a lot of deeply engaged folks digging it in the not too distant days to come. It’s kinda hard to be a sorehead or screwed-up loser when you can walk out the front door, haul out your hose, let rip and holler at the moon as loud as you like. Try that in some upscale suburb and there will be all kindsa official well-credentialed types drawing significant salaries on your behalf.

Seriously, though, if any Flapper feels like a short spell of boot camp surrounded by trees everywhere you look, there is a nice free campsite here on Echo Ridge, in fact right on toppa the ridge up there by the firepit. Still, crisp nights in Spring or Fall and you will find out why its called Echo Ridge. Spring and Fall are best as cold, heat and bugs are not significant irritants and the ol boy who lives in the shack down the path on the other side of the orchard has pretty good energy levels when the weather tends towards moderation. BYOB.

If you do show up in the Summer sandals are fine. Bluejeans suggested unless you are in the middle of the sun and away from the bugs. Goddamns are much worse than the Ladies of the Night. In case you smell real purdy like someone who showers twice a day and then foofs up with B.O.derant and other stinkups, you might come in handy as a bug deflector. One July afternoon about ten years ago this couple i know from deep down in Iowa dropped by for a couple hours . They were both wearing pastel colors and kinda vacationy sorta skimpy clothing. While they were up the hill with me, not one single bug preferred the weatherbeaten native. Between the palmy beach duds and the foofy scents mosta the bugs in a half mile radius made a beeline for the Iowanians.

If you show up in the Winter and plan on hanging around the cathouse for more than a couple nights you better be up on winter survival camping. In case you don’t care for a lot of pussy with catitudes there are a couple awful Oouffs (and more pussy) outside the house. Mac and Makuzho share a shelter with old blankets and carpet on the dirt floor of the woodshed. Another warm body on a cold January night would suit them just fine. They might sometimes smell like they been rolling in frozen bambiturds, but at least in winter they aren’t wearing any spare woodticks and precious few deerticks.

How can anybody live like that? Hell, i got fairly close neighbors and even a few cousins and such who probably ask themselves that when my name comes up. Well,,, sometimes when you are living in an insane era, it might just help to be a little crazy.

• Big flavor said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm

This is a potd classic. I am almost desperate to meet “the people that live back in the trees and whatnot.”
      If I bring my daughter out there no one’s gonna go all “blair witch project” on is, right? Ah Stix, if it was a little easier to get there I would put that trip on next summer’s calendar. It’s probably better to just imagine your life in my mind….

29. Big flavor said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I’ve come up with a good thread theme idea that’s gonna run for a bit. Hope you like it

30. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Are goddamns like noseeums? Or are you talking B-17 sized mosquitoes?

• snarkklleycuddles said, on October 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I sawalot of goddamns this season. Heard ’em, too.
      Particularly when Huff was at the plate…

• stixwiz said, on October 10, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Goddamns come by their claim to fame quite honestly. Usually they show up around the Fourth … in a holiday mood, as it were. Generally appear in modest swarms ranging from around five to a bit over a dozen. Their preferred moment of attack occurs when you have both hands occupied with something like pushing a wheelbarrow or a mower. When they pounce, it’s usually one pulling outta the squadron while the rest keep buzzing around your brainium.

Here’s where the mower and wheelbarrow thing can get problematic. Say you got a load of rocks on the barrow. You gotta set it down quick but flat. No one-handing. Mower has an automatic shutoff when you release the bar (good little Honda 22″). But you then need to restart. You got a max of about three seconds from splashdown to smackdown. Otherwise that deerfly has his munchers into you and it feels like a horny hornet on steroids. Prompt need for a quick mudpack. These lil buzzards are about half the size of a horsefly, but pack around twice the wallop. They have been known to drive Iowanians, particularly purdy smelling ones, to tears.

Rumor going around is that somebody smuggled a bunch of our own genuine Northwoods goddamns down to that ranch in South Texas when Dick Cheney and his closest buddies were out hunting quail or mourning doves or whatever. Dauntless Dick stepped right on the release lever and one promptly bit him on the dauntless daddy of DeeDee DeDyke. Caused him to momentarily lose control of his triggerfinger. That’s when Dauntless Dick did the dutiful deed of his entire constipated career. Yup, he loosed both barrels of #4 birdshot right in the rump of a Republican lawyer.

31. blade3colorado said, on October 11, 2011 at 6:14 am

Since everything originates from California, I would imagine that you “back woods folks” haven’t heard of REI’s Sawyer Jungle Juice 100, much less Avon Skin So Soft. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on October 11, 2011 at 9:58 am

Blade, I used SSS when we went to Costa Rica 11 years ago. Didn’t help much. Nothing did. Talk about bug city. Man, they have thngs down there that’ll make your skin crawl. Literally. My nepwhew, who went down there the year before was bitten (he thinks) by a moth. A month later, his leg started itching terribly. When he looked, he noticed something moving under his skin. Eventually, a worm looking maggot thing popped out from his leg. About an inch long.

Didn’t have that kind of luck, but the super (horse) flies do. On one hike, I got bitten about 12 times by the flies. From my knees down, my legs were blood. Fun shit. Found a little black moth thing trying to drill a hole in my ankle. The little bastard wouldn’t let go. I expected the alien creature to pop out, bit nothing.

32. philippinefan said, on October 13, 2011 at 6:23 am

Flavor thanks for including some Foosball posts on yer blog. Gives us local ex-pats another locale to spout off into. Appreciate your posts on Chuck’s blag too. Find your comments helpful and a good balance to some of us ranters over there!