A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

St Louis v Texas?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 17, 2011

I guess some people called Texas in the World Series, but St Louis? This is a repeat of 2006 for them when they won 83 games and, of course, the World Series. This year they won more (90) but they are the last team I would have picked to get here.

And what will the over/under’s be for these two gas can pitching staffs? The total runs for both of these “clincher” games? 38. Thirty-eight freaking runs in 2 games. That’s not baseball that’s beer league softball.

Maybe I’m just being bitter about the Giants not being there but I’ve got no interest in watching a parade of shitty pitchers get blasted away on and somehow trick myself into believing that these are the best 2 teams that baseball has to offer…

So how about those Niners, eh? Of course, I was wrong about how the game would unfold. I get to chucklin’ every time I think about Harbaugh and his “humble hearts” comment from last week. Is there a bigger dick anywhere in football when it comes to the coach’s handshake than Jimbo? The “What’s YOUR deal” guy looks like he could stand a lesson in sportsmanship. I think the Detroit coach over reacted but Harbaugh needs to look at his end-of-game win reactions. Simple lesson not just in sports but in life: act like you’ve been there before…..

1. willieD said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:26 am

I’m not watching the Series either, but the idea that whoever wins it is/isn’t the best team in baseball sounds a lot like what the philly fans said about last year. They probably feel the same way now—they won 100 games in the regular season, so no matter if they can’t make it out of the first round…. this BS was all over the blogs, all year round…SF was a fluke, over the course of 162, yadda yadda.
    Harbaugh is a trip…probably out of control sometimes, but I bet players love it.
    How about this one: I was listening to espn radio on knbr 4:30 ish, and lincoln kennedy emphatically said there is absolutely no way LeBron James (currently unemployed at his profession of choice) could play in the NFL. He made the joke that LB complains to refs all down the court if he gets hit on the wrist while shooting as a way of saying he couldn’t handle the level of contact (and speed it comes at you I imagine) of pro football. Thoughts?

• Nipper said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

Come on Willie D, not even one peek?

2. big flavor said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:42 am

there are probably a lot of reasons that LeBron couldn’t make it in football. It would be like Jordan trying to play baseball or Rice trying to be a pro golfer— different skills sets across the board…..

• Nipper said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

It’s like asking BF to play bingo! All those numbers and old ladies would be too much!

• I_B_ed_c said, on October 17, 2011 at 10:30 am

LOL spoken like someone that knows his bingo

3. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

There’s an uncomplimentary similarity to Singtary there- fortunately the only one. Jim has talked of not wanting his players to know how good they are and there he is baring his chest and prancing about like they they just won the Super Bowl. You teach humility and self control by practicing it. Let’s hope he speaks to his guys and points out that was overboard because of how proud he was of them- but that he was wrong…

4. stixwiz said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:16 am

Four lousy games. Two with Houston and one each with the Cubs and LaBumbos. Had the Giants played other than lousy in those contests it would have been a one-game showdown with the Cards in San Francisco and a pretty good shot at a W.S. repeat between S.F. and Texas. Maybe if Rowand and Tejada had been dumped a couple weeks earlier… Oh well, that’s baseball.

5. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

Picking out individual games is hard on the brain, Stix. And the other teams can do it, too. Rowand and Tejada were hardly playing, and in Tejada’s case- his replacements provided no upgrade. This was lost in August, if one must look for reasons… and between ineffectiveness and injury, the big dog didn’t hunt until September when it was too late.

• Nipper said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

ARF!

• stixwiz said, on October 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

Twin: It wasn’t exactly individual games, but those late-season series which spelled the final doom on the ’11 Giants. Two wins instead of losses in the virtually back to back Houston matchups and one more win vs the Dodgers and Cubs would have done it. Whether or not the pair of albatrosses were actually on the field maybe didn’t matter so much as their continued presence in the dugout and the clubhouse. By August, even, they had become negative distractions and as many felt, clubhouse cancers. Yes, it was August where things really went to hell for the team. But a September recovery in full was not impossible. Just didn’t happen. Four wins instead of losses in the four series and we may have been looking at a different October.

6. I_B_ed_c said, on October 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

Just watched the highlights of the niner’s game and, all in all, a good win.

7. Sierra Nevada said, on October 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

Playing the ‘what if’ game is only fun for me if it doesn’t involve pinning blame. Hating on guys is just a fucking drag – even if, and especially if, they deserve it. Hell, even fucking Scott Cousins. I still think the play was dirty as shit, but it is the culture and rules of baseball that are to blame for that, not Cousins. I hope he gets a second chance.

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, the difference makers for me, plain and simple, were the injuries. Posey, Freddy Sanchez, Burrell, DeRosa, Torres, in that order. If you could erase either one of the injuries to Posey or Sanchez, or any two of the Burrell/DeRosa/Torres injuries, I am pretty certain the Giants would have made the postseason. And if St Louis can get to the Series, the Giants sure as hell could have.

• shaman138 said, on October 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

“Hating on guys is just a fucking drag”….

Yeah, right, so is that why you’re always on the Raiders’ blogs talking shit? Must not be that much of a drag then…

• Sierra Nevada said, on October 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm

You’ve got the wrong dude. I don’t care about football much at all, so the Raiders don’t make it on to my radar.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

Arizona’s catching fire had a lot to do with it as well. When the Giants hit the skids, AZ was playing out of their minds . . . They blew past us like the Giants did to the Pads last year.

9. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

Posey’s hurt the worst because of the non-production out of his replacement.

Keppie wasn’t nearly the dropoff that Whitey/Rod Stewart clusterfuck provided. The rest of the injuries could have been absorbed.

10. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 11:56 am

Actually, the dropoff was more than you might expect beteen Fruckie and Kepp- you can check it out yourself- it was significant- and people forget the time between Fruckie going down and Kepp coming aboard. And the Posey dropoff was catastrophic- and could very well have lost the division itself. Add in 40 games lost by Sandoval, and injuries to Ross, Torres, Belt, Schierholtz ( it is IMPOSSIBLE to know how these injuries affected later performance. )
    And it’s also not possible to minimize the effect that Beltran’s non-production in August had on the team. Fact is, Arizona would have been so far out without the epidemic of injuries here that there would have been no “catching fire” by the Snakes. It’s extremely amusing that Drew gets cited as if his loss made it all a wash- in fact, he was having a middling year and Bloomquist hardly hurt them. There’s no question that the injuries were the major factor in the Giants missing the playoffs.

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2011 at 2:10 pm

There was a lag between Fruckie and Keppie, but the team played very well through the injuries, and Keppie was decent enough.

It seemed that with the addition of Beltran, the rest of the team sort of sagged as if he would be the guy to pick up the offense, but he scuffled, got hurt, and his hotness didn’t materialize until September.

My very point was all but Posey’s injury would have likely been overcome.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

They played well after Posey went down, too. But that’s faulty thinking- are you saying they wouldn’t have played better with Posey? Same hold true for Fruckie- in fact, Kepp was a considerable downgrade. Freddy hit .289 .322 even OBP .730 OPS 24 RBI in 239 AB. Kepp was .255 BA .285 OBP .618 OPS 15 RBI in 216 AB. Big drop off, and even bigger defensively.
        And how were all the rest of their injuries to be “overcome”?
        Blaming it all on Huff is ridiculous, BTW. The losses of Posey and Fruckie, 40 games that Panda lost, and the injuries to almost the entire OF, plus Beltran’s August failure totally account for minimum 10 games in the standings.. minimum. And the loss of the 2 and 4 hitters certainly affected some of the rest of the LU..I can’t believe how many people are completely dismissing the injuries that were not season ending.

• Sierra Nevada said, on October 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I am still embarrassed that I argued (with Twin I think) last year that Whiteside was a serviceable backup. What a dumbass take that was. He was not even close to serviceable.

In hindsight, I would say the decision not to upgrade the backup catcher position was, by far, Sabean’s worst offseason mistake last year. He made other bets that didn’t pan out, but they were reasonable bets. Again, in hindsight, the bet on Whiteside was just awful.

• ewisco said, on October 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm

twin, kinda cruel blaming sandoval for 40 games lost.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Either you’re joking or you misunderstood or I wasn’t clear, probably the latter- I meant that those 40 games he was out were a huge loss for the team, not that he was at fault for being injured.

11. Sarge said, on October 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I think even with all the injuries, if Huff would have been half decent that would have had a positive ripple effect on the rest of the lineup. His struggling seemed to zap a lot of energy from the rest of the team.

• Nipper said, on October 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

BLEEP that HUFF!

12. Sierra Nevada said, on October 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Huff is not a guy who can get it done with nobody around him. There are guys who can, but he ain’t one of them. Huff is an above average hitter ahead in the count, and a very below average one when behind. With Torres hurt/slumping and no Sanchez in front of him and no Posey, Burrell, or any other serious threat coming up behind him, pitchers could attack him early in the count, which they did.

Huff is a limited player, but put him in the middle of hitters who perform, and he earns the money the Giants gave him. In the middle of the mess that the Giants ended up with after injuries, his limitations made him look horrible. Which I don’t think he is.

13. zumie said, on October 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm

The St.Louis Cardinals kind of remind me of those Washington Redskin teams of the ’80s and early ’90s. The Joe Gibbs teams. They were never all that spectacular, but if the rest of the league faltered, they were always kind of hanging around. They won two of their Super Bowls in strike years, when a lot of the league was in disarray.

14. Big flavor said, on October 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think the Niners could make the SB this year. The NFC Championship is a definite doable. This team has already locked up the NFC west basically. Harbaugh will do nothing but complete the installation of his genius playbook and finish the tutelage of Smith. I wouldn’t want to have to play this team in January.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm

That defense is rapidly becoming a huge force- Bowman and Aldon Smith are becoming monsters.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

MONSTERS. I seem to remember comments that came close to death threats to Balkke when Aldon got taken. The same guy likes to tell us ll about his Hunter *pick*. He doesn’t talk much about his feeling at the time about Aldon Smith….

15. Sierra Nevada said, on October 17, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Football. Urgh. Powered primarily by HGH and brought to you care of a head injury epidemic occurring at all levels of player development.

I am happy for Niner fans, it has been a long time since they had something to cheer. But football, in general? Just. Not. Interested. I’ll endure having to root for the Rangers, and then start my countdown to baseball ST.

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I definitely have to root for Wash, hope he can handle his pen, or better yet- not have to worry about it.

16. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’m going to take down the “Dads” thread tomorrow, if you want to save those great posts, you can save the web page..or copy the comments to a document file.

17. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Chuck, I have to be out soon, so whatever you say, you’re right.

18. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Ok, yer an insufferable asshole.

Good night! Try the veal! I’m here all week! Tip yer servers!

• Nipper said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:37 pm

That’s a complement of the highest order to Twin.

19. SanDawg said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm

How y’all doing? Haven’t logged on in a while, but I was curious to see if the Harbaugh Handshake would be addressed in the thread today. Glad to see it was and I totally agree Jimbo is a prick when it comes to post-win handshakes. I was watching the game and I thought he was greeting one of his players, not the opposing coach with that handshake. I can’t believe the Lion’s coach is catching flak at all—-I have no problem with him chasing down Harbaugh and bumping him—-and that was before I knew Harbaugh shoved him and cussed at him (allegedly).
    Of course, I’ll gladly put up with some a-hole behavior from Harbaugh given the results he’s getting.

Does anyone know of a Kostaz type set-up where an out-of-towner like me without the NFL package can watch the Niner game each week?

20. blade3colorado said, on October 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Yes, the Super Bowl is possible . . . I was thinking this before I read Peter King’s SI column, but he is absolutely right when he says:

“San Francisco is 5-1, comfortably ahead by 2.5 games in the NFC West. The Packers look like overwhelming faves for one of the top two NFC seeds, and of course, if Green Bay wins the North, the second-place team in the division, at best, could be the fifth seed in the conference playoffs. With the egalitarianism of the East and the presumed knock-each-other-off dogfight in the South, why can’t the Niners win 12 or 13? Have you seen them play? Mike Florio pointed this out at NBC last night, and he’s right. There’s no good reason the 49ers can’t be home resting on Wild Card weekend while the Saints and Bucs and Eagles and whoever else are trying to survive. And the schedule. San Francisco plays 0-5 St. Louis and 1-4 Arizona four times in its last 10 games. Combined record of foes: 21-31.”

I’ll say it here – San Francisco only has one team preventing them from being in the Super Bowl . . . Yep, the Green Bay Packers. Get pass them and they are in.

Now you can commit me to the asylum. 🙂

21. Big flavor said, on October 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm

No asylum blade– I could easily see a niner/gb NFC champ gm and who couldn’t dig that regardless of the outcome?
    San Dawg– great to see you back again, dude. Schwartz’ prob is that he looked like a whiny loser pussy chasing down a guy who he really had no intention of fighting. Bad look for him. But like I said, JH has to fix that flaw in his game. You aren’t hand shaking a player. Act like a professional man and do what they all do, with a little bit of dignity. How many losing coaches are excited to shake hands? None. And now they have to do it with a raving lunatic? Fuck that, harbaugh has to mellow his yellow…

• zumie said, on October 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Well said, BF. The post-game handshake is an awkward situation. One coach is thrilled, the other is completely bummed out. The winning coach can pretend for a few seconds to not be so thrilled. It’s not asking that much.

• blade3colorado said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Make them all wear a suit and tie. Can you imagine Tom Landry lifting his dress shirt and then doing a belly bump with one of his players? Then running across the field to do the “shake and bake” with the opposing coach? No, that wouldn’t happen with Tom, Vince, Hank, et. al.

The NFL likes coaches to wear licensed casual apparel on the sidelines (not “likes;” more like “mandates”), and maybe there would be more dignity in sideline decorum if the league went back to mandating business attire for coaches. Maybe that would have prevented 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh from flying off the sidelines like a bottle rocket and slapping Lions coach Jim Schwartz like a frat brother.

• zumie said, on October 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Coaches wearing suits would bring bad Mike Nolan flashbacks to 49er fans.