A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Almost Home…

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 20, 2011

1. More. Win.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 1, 2010 Edit This

I woke up this morning, rolled out of bed and noticed something unusual:

I was at the top of Mount Everest. I took off my goggles, looked around….It’s the biggest world I’ve ever seen. I would worry about sun blindness except for the fact that all the light is radiating from me, not towards me. So I’m just sitting here, quietly, writing the words that you’re reading now, atop this goddamn mountain. As a  Giants fan, I’ve been Sisyphus. And yet this morning, here I sit next to my boulder at the top of Mount Everest, unsure of what to do next…….

If any of you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them……..

259 comments

1. zumie said, on October 20, 2011 at 8:20 am

If St. Louis wins the World Series, then clearly the National League has fully established its superiority. Real baseball defeats Friday night softball.

2. willieD said, on October 20, 2011 at 8:24 am

7 posts yesterday from our resident king of the one liners, Nipper. Ironic that the team he is supporting won the game on two strictly NL developments: pinch hit rbi that provided go ahead run, as the mgr makes the decision to remove his ace starter, which led to scoreless relief from his pen that held the lead.
    Quintessential NL baseball as it always should be played…leave him in to hit or take him out?

3. zumie said, on October 20, 2011 at 8:51 am

Reading BF’s post from last year….at that moment, our reign as champions stretched to infinity. And now we can see the end of that reign in sight. Mixed emotions, yes?

4. twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

Interleague play is a better barometer of league superiority and the NL has been closing the gap but the AL is still the superior league- and last night’s game didn’t prove anything either- except that Cruz proved again that he’s not good on balls in front of him and that Scott Cousins wasn’t the runner when Carpenter was helpless at fierst base. I have a “Moms” thread in B so here’s a question: would Pete Rose crush Mommy’s hand if it might help win the WS?
    Would you?

• unca_chuck said, on October 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

I don’t know Pete Rose’s mom, but sure, I’d crush her hand . . .

• TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

hahaha

5. twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 10:02 am

The announcers made a huge fucking deal of German pinch hitting instead of Torrealba. German is what’s commonly called a “professional hitter”. He sure looked awful in the AB last night but the dude can hit. He’s a better hitter than the Sherpa even if he hadn’t hit in 3 weeks.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on October 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

As well they (announcers) should have. It was an asinine move. Why carry three catchers (another asinine move) if you’re not gonna use his ass. Wash seems to forget what little managing he does know when the World Series begins.

ARF 1 Wash 0

• twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

Your’re still an idiot, I see. German is a better hitter than the Sherpa. Period.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on October 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

He sure looked good on those three pitches he saw last night. Send ’em up again!

6. TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 10:28 am

Flav, I’d forgotteh the Sisyphus analogy from last year. That’s good

7. Del Mar Dennis said, on October 20, 2011 at 11:27 am

And Wash conceding that he didn’t think he could “ever live up to matching a wit” with La Russa prior to Game 1 was totally asinine. Let the enemy know that their general is smarter than you. That should really rally and instill confidence in your own troops.

Mook.

• TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 11:41 am

I’m a mook? Who the fuck are you calling a mook? You can’t call me no fucking mook!!
      dennis, it’s called false humility. It’s a tactic in itself. Your reaction to it is exactly how he wants St. Louis to react to it. His players know what he’s doing.

8. twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

LaRussa didn’t make any moves that could be characterized as anything more than SOP. Wash didn’t have an Alan Craig on the bench, of course. Who he went with was the best hitter he did have. The fact that in hindsight one could point to German’s poor AB is irrelevant. Wash didn’t have hindsight available. But the fact is that although it was a tough play, Cruz had to catch Craig’s drive- he didn’t even get a glove on it. That was the ballgame.

• eddacker said, on October 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

from hero to goat in a few inches, and that ball was slicing rapidly away from Cruz and still you know he had a good chance to catch it. And then he catches the next ball on the opposite side of his territory!

9. eddacker said, on October 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

It is always amazing to me that I can go to bed, wake-up, go to work, come home and, having heard nothing about baseball all day, watch the recorded game on espn. When you fast forward the between innings bits a game goes pretty fast. Still finding it hard to root for the NL. Like line drives skipping next to the foul line both managers were in that game all the way, but St. Louis’ stayed fair. Very little from either starting pitcher and only 5 runs from two offensive teams. Baseball continues to fascinate me. Really interesting to see the cards with the home field advantage. Hey, didn’t Bochy coach that AS game?

10. twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Wash made some errors in last year’s WS- which did not affect the outcome. When announcers and bloggers start criticizing using a lifetime .280 hitter for a career .260 hitter, they’re just looking for false controversy. LaRussa has gained a rep as a crafty manueverer, some of it even justified- and there’s the Fox hook for this series- the sly veteran against the enthusiastic newbie. And they’ll look for anything to support that, real or imagined.

• unca_chuck said, on October 20, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Or the coke head vs the drunk . . . Surprised they haven’t played up that angle.

Hyuk . . .

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I still say LaRussa was disrespecttul of Wash to say last night, of Wash’s antics: “if he’s sincere.”

• unca_chuck said, on October 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm

No argument here. LaRussa is a jerk-off of the highest order. He thinks his shit don’t stink.

Yeah, Twin, just as last year was the Prez, the nuns and the little old lades vs the freaks, geeks, and druggies.

11. TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Earthquake!!!
    Very cool

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 20, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Magnus, WTF you gonna post on November 1? No matter. Man oh man. What a magical unmystery tour reading those comments from last year. Words are a powerful phenomenon. Reading those comments brought me right back. Right there. It had me reliving a reality. Surreal. The writer Paul Theroux took a series of train trips from Central America to the tip of South America and purposefully did not take a camera (so I’ve heard; I have not read that one). He felt you SEE better without the camera. So he WROTE about the journey. And that’s what has happened here. We see, feel, hear, taste, smell it all again. THE MOMENT. To an outsider, it might strike our exaltation as a great deal of excitement over triviality. After all, it’s just a game. But it all meant something a lot more for us — for me, at least. It was like a vindication. No, I wasn’t crazy to stay up all those late nights following West Coast scores. It’s like that character (forgot his name) in Catch-22 who slyly all along was planning an escape. Anyway, this brought back the chills and the tears.

Deep bows. To the players. To the Flap. To MagnusFlavoris.

• unca_chuck said, on October 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Yossarian?

• TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Let me see if I’ve got this straight: in order to be grounded, I’ve got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I’m not crazy any more and I have to keep flying.

• unca_chuck said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm

And, in order to go home, we’ve upped your missions from 22 to 28 . . .

• unca_chuck said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Speaking of moms, my mom took me to see that when it came out in 1970.

I was 9. Anarchist shit for a 9 year old.

• TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm

That would have confused the hell out of me if I saw it at 9

13. Big flavor said, on October 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Pawlie, when I decided to re-run these post season threads from ’10, I figured everyone would enjoy the comments. But no one more than you. It was one of my great life pleasures to drape the black beads around your neck, shake your hand and walk around the outskirts of the ballpark talking a bit…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

So true. And you know how I feel. I’m going upstairs to put those beads on. Yesterday, to bolster my spirits, I ordered a WS2010 shirt, on sale, 13 bucks, roster on the back. I’ve just discovered a little secret for myself. The basking won’t end when the new guys reign.

14. twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

In 64 years I’ve seen a lot of great flicks- and always loved the scary shit. Am I sick to still say the scariest movie I ever saw was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein?

• TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm

• TedSpe said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Just messing with you twin. Depending on what age you saw it, A & C MEET FRANKENSTEIN actually has some chilling moments

15. twinfan1 said, on October 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Chime in on your scariest film, link to the right-thanks, Ted. I knew you or Chuck would get me on that..

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Hell, that DP w/ Andrus and Kinsler to end the Fifth was one of the most startling I’ve ever seen. Vizquelesque.

17. ewisco said, on October 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Night of the living dead. 11 or 12 years old. alone in the house with my older brother. I STILL don’t sleep well.

• ewisco said, on October 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm

and yes, it was Creature Features on KTVU channel 2 with Bob ?

• zumie said, on October 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Bob Wilkins. Yeah, quite a character.

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Humdinger of a game. Pretty darned entertaining — to sound like a Midwesterner. [Stix, you there?]

19. Flavor said, on October 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

So how exactly did La Russa hoodwink Washington tonight? I can’t wait to hear about his genius. Seriously, this dude’s managerial skills are overrated. I think Tony La Russa is just a guy who’s moving pieces around as fast as he can and hoping for the best. Fuck him, Texas still wins in 6….

20. Sportdude said, on October 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for Craig for reposting 11/1/10.

Done!
    OMG
    etc etc.. What a feeling!!!

Go Rangers