A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Today is the Last Re-Posted Thread

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 21, 2011

I loved reading the comments from everyone….Here is a partial post from Stix from the thread below. It is the perfect way to end this…..

“Stixwiz said, on November 2, 2010 at 10:35 am (Edit)

Saving the best for last……

….Baseball is sacred, in its way. It is the hallmark of dedication and devotion and sometimes even deification. But it is not idolatry. We do not so much idolize these gifted athletes and their feats as we adore the spirits that move them to perform the way they do. Ultimately, the spiritual triumphs over the material. All the experts picked the other guys in this most blessed Post-Season. But it was the team with the most character, the largest number of characters and the greatest spirit who became World Champions……”

SF Giants: 2010 World Series Champions

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 2, 2010 Edit This

We did it. It’s been done. The magnitude of this accomplishment can’t be understated. And I’m not talking about the team winning the World Series, I’m talking about the perseverance of SF Giants fans. This is a group that has supported utter failure for 56 freaking years with unwavering support. That kind of commitment is hard to find….

I stopped being a Giants fan, simply because of the sport, a long time ago. Maybe it started out that way. But it evolved into something that became a part of me, something that wasn’t an option or a job, it was just……my consciousness. I suspect it is that way for all of you. Did we NEED this World Series win? Of course not, we would never demand anything in return for our commitment as fans to this team. But now that we have been given this gift by this unreal collection of men, it felt right for me to appreciate all of us who have  supported the team for all this time. This is something that we EARNED—try to count up all the hours that you’ve devoted to this team. Who works for free for THAT many hours???? And yet this morning, for the first time ever, you get to wake up a champion. So today, take a moment to salute yourselves. I have complete confidence that our love for this team, our utter devotion to the history and future of the Giants, played a role in this magical year and how it ultimately unfolded…..

“I am a San Francisco Giants fan”…….you have no idea how much pride I exude when I say those 7 words……….

154 comments

1. Nipper said, on October 21, 2011 at 7:57 am

ARF…..rules!

2. twinfan1 said, on October 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

Lots of excellent horror film choices- I may select a couple for Halloween viewing…
    Maybe I missed it, but did any of the media ask LaRussa about pulling Motte for Rhodes? I don’t think they did, they asked about Pujols not cutting off the throw, but I don’t recall anyone asking about the pitching decision…
    But what a gutsy steal by Kinsler- could end up the biggest since Roberts…great camera work…it’s been a terrific series so far..

3. big flavor said, on October 21, 2011 at 10:59 am

Pulling Motte for Rhodes made very little sense to me. It was a strikeout situation, why put a guy in who throws hittable pitches and take out a guy who throws 98? I understand that the failure is on Rhodes who should have just kept throwing away-away-away and hoped for him to chase. A walk would have been no big deal, that was the only batter Rhodes was going to pitch to. But who was more likely to strike out Hamilton, Rhodes or Motte?

4. twinfan1 said, on October 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

And after Hamilton he was going to the RHer Lynn- a promising guy but Motte is the man- Motte to Hamilton and Young or Rhodes/Lynn? That’s a no brainer to me.

• willieD said, on October 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm

bloggers on CBS site agreed with you…Motte was not being hit hard. They were pretty surprised to see Rhodes in there in that situation.

5. twinfan1 said, on October 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Watching Game 6 of the NLCS- Dirty is about to hit Utley…

6. Flavor said, on October 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm

no baseball tonight. No Niners this weekend. No Carson Palmer on Sunday. No Warriors to talk about. No hockey, ever, in my life.
    This is a super dark time for sports……..

• Nipper said, on October 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

“dark”

7. zumie said, on October 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

College football to the rescue! Stanford vs. Washington tomorrow….I’ll be pulling for Stanford, but the QB for Wash. is a great story. A kid from Compton, at-risk of falling into a gang, who was given to his grandmother in Long Beach to be raised, and turns out to be a great kid, and great athlete, and goes on to be a star in high school in Long Beach, and gets a scholarship to Wash., and plays football with the joy of somebody who knows they escaped the wrong path in life.

8. zumie said, on October 21, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Here’s a nice little article about him:

Pairing Of Huskies `Odd Couple’ Aided Price’s Soaring Start

Turns out, Keith Price’s meteoric start to the Huskies’ 5-1 season, being second in the nation with 21 touchdown passes and on pace to shatter UW single-season passing records, goes beyond the sophomore’s indelible smile and uncanny poise.

It goes beyond his sugar-sweet throwing motion. Deeper than his unique skill at extending plays and maintaining focus downfield with chaos all around him.

The hidden keys to Price’s startling success, which is getting national attention this week before he leads the No. 22 Dawgs into seventh-ranked Stanford (6-0, 4-0 Pac-12) on Saturday in a showdown for first place in the conference’s North division?

A room list. A summer staff meeting. And a coach.

Of course head Husky Steve Sarkisian had a hand in this. But so did, uh … a defensive backs coach?

Safeties coach Jeff Mills is in charge of assigning roommates for the Huskies’ fall training camp. In August the players move out of their apartments, shared houses or wherever else they live off campus and spend the month in campus dorm rooms.

Mills sent his 2011 camp list to Sarkisian, who held a staff meeting before camp. In it, the coaches finalized pairing players that don’t usually co-mingle, to strengthen the team’s bonds. Offensive players with defensive ones. Inner-city kids with rural guys.

Sarkisian and Mills put Price with Cort Dennison.

It seemed like the Huskies’ ultimate odd couple.

Price, a kid from Compton, hard off the often-treacherous south end of Los Angeles, a redshirt sophomore who grew up living part time with his grandmother to avoid gun shots around his parents’ home, rooming with a veteran middle linebacker who graduated from a private school in Salt Lake City and made a college recruiting visit to West Point.

“It was something different,” Price said, chuckling to me this week. “I never thought I’d room with Cort.”

First things first, though.

“I showed up in my room one day and I made sure I got the bed I wanted – seniority thing,” Dennison said, also laughing. “But, yeah, we got put together.”

The pairing ended up being anything but odd. More like awesome.

It’s another, hidden gem in a slew of uniquely Sarkisian moves that have revitalized the Huskies program, one that has soared from 0-12 to a bowl winner and a nationally ranked co-leader of the Pac-12 in just 2 ½ seasons.

“It was just, you know, a leader on the offensive side and a leader on the defensive side. I put together the room list, and Coach OKs it,” Mills said of Sarkisian.

Sarkisian saw Mills’ original list and changed it to match Price and Dennison, the two most important players on the team.

“We moved it at that staff meeting for that reason,” Mills said. “Just because he was the quarterback, and Cort’s the linebacker directing things on the defensive side.

“There was a rhyme and reason.”

9. Flavor said, on October 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Zumie, I was just about to post that I will read an article about him and then you posted an article about him. You rule.
    Thanks for reminding me of the Cardinal game. The Husky fans always come down Thursday night with their big ass trailers. They were parked in the Stanford lots this am, presumably having big parties tonight. I
    I am not real confident in this game. As Chuck would say, it’s a *trap* game. I still don’t know what that means but it sounds bad and I am a little worried that the Cardinal….might….gulp…lose. But that’s probably just the Foster’s talkin’.
    I’m not going to the game but I will watch it on the telly…..

10. Flavor said, on October 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I don’t know why this bothers me, but I have an issue with youtube when they warn me about disturbing images I’m about to see in the Gadhafi video, then they show a 15 second Chevy commercial, then the *disturbing* video. Someone is paying for a commercial and then someone is making money off the commercial all because of this *disturbing* video that they’re recommending that I not watch….Not sure why, it just doesn’t sit well.

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm

In Philly. Scene of the “crime.” I can’t shut my trap. Mouthing off – with a smile — to the waitress in Chinatown about beating the Phillies last year. She didn’t mind. More of an Eagles fan. So I turned to the subject of Donovan McNabb cuz the SU game was on. Gonna get my ass kicked some day.

12. blade3colorado said, on October 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I’m thinking about selling my BMW Z3 M Roadster and buying a Porsche 911 Carrera, when I came across this Porsche, that Barry Bonds owned:

I like his taste in vehicles, but no one and I mean absolutely no one, buys a Porsche with an automatic . . . Except, women and . . . ahem, Barry Bonds.

13. eddacker said, on October 22, 2011 at 4:57 am

this is a test post while everyone is asleep and because Pete Rosé killed the mom thread.

14. eddacker said, on October 22, 2011 at 5:11 am

test two
    [img]http://eddacker.net/img-original/mylife/mom-dad.jpg[/img]

15. eddacker said, on October 22, 2011 at 5:13 am

test three

16. eddacker said, on October 22, 2011 at 5:15 am

I’m guessing MAGNUS turned off the formatting for standard users.

17. eddacker said, on October 22, 2011 at 5:16 am