A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Series knotted up 2/2

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 24, 2011

As this series unfolds and we watch the pendulum swing back and forth, I think we are seeing two teams that aren’t evenly matched as much as they are genuinely flawed. They both have good offenses and below average pitching staffs, so in that respect I guess they are evenly matched. But when you have average pitching there’s just no way to predict how a game might turn out. These are all major league pitchers, they all have talent. A lot of the time they’ll get lit up or have no idea where the strike zone is. Other times they turn in their serviceable 5.2 innings. Occasionally, like last night, you get a gem out of Holland. And hey, every blue moon you get a no hitter out of a guy like Edwin Jackson……

If you’ve got great pitching v a poor offense it’s usually a lot more easy to predict. The Giants, for instance, could be counted on for months of bad hitting and months of great pitching. Occasionally, you’d get the *7 run outburst* but more often it would be the usual *scratch and sniff*.

If I was betting (which I don’t do anymore because the stupid government shut down all the online gambling) I would have bet the over on last night’s game (I find both of those pitchers to be hittable except in the case of Jackson who is unhittable when he’s walking everybody). And of course, I would have lost. If I had offered you the Chiefs minus 27 yesterday, how many of you WOULDN’T have taken that? Betting on sports is fun. I’m glad I don’t have to try to make a livin’ doing it……..

1. willieD said, on October 24, 2011 at 7:09 am

Texas pitching over all was actually pretty good in the AL. Didn’t they set some kind of record by throwing quite a large number of shutouts, like 18? Since there are so few complete games anymore, that means using 3 guys to do it. Adams Ogando Feliz isn’t bad set up/close combo.
    Both teams are good hitting clubs capable of scoring a lot of runs, and in warm weather both parks favor hitters. We have already had good pitching duels—late 3 run bomb decided a 1-0 game last night, which I caught last few innings of because the Colts are so unwatchably awful.
    STL is f-ed over tho, because btw what they will have to pay Pujols Holliday berkman LaRussa won’t be able to pick up anything to help out his pen. Even with Wainwright coming back, you get their starters out it’s open season.
    Flav, Chron gambling guy Thursday (in the extra entertainment section) had an interesting column about proposals to fix online gambling, and detailed the criminal element involved in sites closed down. Those guys had to go, and owed a lot of money they weren’t paying out.

• Giant Head said, on October 24, 2011 at 7:44 am

That is why online gambling should be legalized, regulated and taxed…

2. Giant Head said, on October 24, 2011 at 7:42 am

My heartache bet was a 6-team tease in college that would have paid me $400, I just needed Arkansas to cover -9.5 and they were up 12 late and they give up a late TD to Ole Miss. So trying to win that money back, I broke my vow of never bettiing on Notre Dame…on the bloody goal line ready to tie it up and you know the rest…

I had the Riaders as well on a three team parlay with the Steelers and Cowboys…frickin Raiders. And to top it all off, I foortunately had the over in the Saints game, but teased the Colts down to a 20 point underdog, figuring at some poitn the Saints will not try and score after being up pver 20 points…wrong!

So I lost about a third of my profit from the last month::(((

But still alive in one $100K death pool….

3. twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:16 am

The top two starters are probably an slight edge to the Cards. But Holland and Harrison are young guys with big arms and big upsides. Lohse/Jackson are journeymen “mediocrities”. The comparison is not appropriate. Texas has no business losing this series. And Wash: two ways to pitch Pujols: walk him or hit him.

• Macdog said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

Yes, Pujols had the monster Game 3. But he’s also 0-10 with a walk and a hit by pitch in the other three games, so they must be doing something right.

• twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:14 am

Or they’ve been lucky. There was at least one he crushed that was caught at the wall. They didn’t even pitch carefully to him in the 3 HR game- every HR was on a pitch right in the zone.

4. Nipper said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:23 am

ARF will win out in the end.

5. big flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:56 am

on KNBR’s radio show, Krukow called Washington “a baseball savant, a baseball genius.”

• TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:12 am

I was once called an idiot savant.
      Except, without the savant part.

• Nipper said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:14 am

Napoli helps. That cute faced pitcher too.

6. eddacker said, on October 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

I had those Texas starters on my Fantasy Team and they could throw some good games.
    I think Magnus nailed it with the flawed comment. Texas seems to be off its game and the Cards, who knew?
    Just remember Philly, Boston and NY are not in there. And SF can beat either of the teams that are.

7. twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Holland is erratic, as we saw last year, but geez, the dude was throwing 96 in the 8th inning. Had 4 CG shutouts this year. Texas has a starting staff to be reckoned with for years…

8. Kevin said, on October 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Good afternoon Gentlemen. have not been out here lately. Been enjoying the Niners, and it has been awhile since I have been able to enjoy them. anyway a woman, I work with told me there is a rumor?? that the Giants are looking at Grady Sizemoore. Was wondering if this is true and if so is he worth looking at??

• TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Rumors are always true. That’s why they’re rumors. All I know is the SF Chronicle’s John Shea mentioned they should take a look at him but I don’t know if that’s just musing or based on actual interest. As for me, good fielder when healthy but injury prone and less than stellar offensive statistics. I wouldn’t say a definitive “no” depending on other possibilities tanking but I wouldn’t spend a lot of time, effort or money on him

• TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm

That came off funny. When I wrote “less than stellar offensive statistics” I realize he’s had pop, a decent OBP and some speed in the past but he’s been slowly vaporizing the last 3 years for those health reasons

9. Big flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

That’s the micro-surgery knee, right? I’d sign him to a 1-yr deal if I could. Maybe squeeze half a season outta him before he hits the DL again. Call brown up then. No way do I give him more than a year tho

10. Big Flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

“texas has a starting staff that has to be reckoned with for years.” Huh? Wilson is leaving for free agency, almost certainly. Holland is a guy who has great stuff and MIGHT put it all together to be an ace but that hasn’t happened yet. So there’s one *maybe”. Feliz will join the rotation at some point, that’s probably the best chance they have at having an ace. But the rest? Come on, the rest of those guys are pretty average…..

• twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Holland, Harrison, and Ogando are all real good and Ogando is the oldest at 27. That’s a core a couple dozen teams would kill for. Lewis is a pretty solid guy for what will be the 4…

• twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 5:32 pm

You take Lohse/Jackson, I’ll take Holland/Harrison…how many better 3/4s are there? And Ogando’s the 5? As I posted, Texas should be be ashamed if they lose this series..

11. St said, on October 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’d definitely have Sizemore checked out and strongly consider a 1 yr with some heavy incentives. He’s more than capable of.280 and 20 hrs next yr. Don’t think Brown will be ready at least until 2012 (see Belt).

• St said, on October 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm

-I mean 2013

• twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

He’s also more than capable of out sucking what Torres put up. He’s in “make good” territory now.

12. Flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

well, everyone is different. Posey was ready. Belt wasn’t. My point is that I wouldn’t sign Sizemore to more than a 1-year deal and I think his knees are pretty well shot. Still, squeezing half a season or a little more out of him wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I think Brown is starting in AA this year. If he’s raking the way he did this year, they’ll find a spot for him. It’s not like he’s having to break into an outfield of Alou, Mays and Cepeda…….

13. twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Well, Texas couldn’t play much worse, might not matter who pitches. Although Wilson has been the worst starter from any AL team in the postseason.

14. twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Good night, all.

15. Flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Twin, who *I* would take and who *you* take isn’t what you said. You said their SP would be reckoned with for years to come—that’s like talking about the Giants staff or the *pitching* version of a dynasty. But it’s simply not true, or at least on paper it isn’t. Ogando was so bad in the 2nd half they dropped him from the rotation. Wilson is leaving for FA this Winter. Lewis is 33 next year. Holland COULD be a “Cain/Wilson” type but hasn’t done it yet. Feliz is their one shot at a “Lincecum” and he’s never even started before (at this level). Harrison? NEGATIVE. he’s like a young Colby Lewis. They have MAYBE one ace and a couple of 3/4/5 guys after that.
    That ain’t no dynasty in waiting……

• twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I know what I said. I’ve made more than one post. It’s a difference of opinion. I’m not going to address each pitcher, I’m going to bed in a minute. I’ll just go with Harrison. He’s 25. He was 14-9 3.39 1.276 WHIP 2.8 BB 6.1K
      He’s not, uh, who’s that kid, yeah, Surkamp…He, Holland, Ogando, Lewis should all be in the rotation that was third in the AL by ERA… who’s going to be better in the AL? Maybe Tmpa or the Angels. Oh, Ogando. He did struggle in the second half. He still had a better WHIP than any of our starters except Cain. It’s a top rotation. Good Night.

16. Flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm

thanks. Good night.

17. eddacker said, on October 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

*YAWN* What is with all the good night talk? I am sleepy enough. Wilson seems to be re-thinking every pitch; the opposite of a clutch performer he wilts under the lights. He should get a haircut.
    Except for the over-hyped commenting a decent game five with a lot on the line.
    OH, and the TX fielding, har har ha ha har.
    LOVED the ‘caught on camera’ torture sequence with Nolan. fox has had a lot of practice spotlighting other peoples’ pain.
    But we know that feeling well. *big grins*

• twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm

The “good night” talk was because I was going to go to bed- I go to bed early often. But I never got there. Sorry if it bothered you..

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Edd you’re the night time watchman here. I don’t monitor your comments the way I do the daylight crew, as you’ve probably noticed. But it’s not even 9pm yet so let make sure you read all the previous recent comments before you start spouting off. Ok?

18. zumie said, on October 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Entertaining baseball game. Only marred by Tim McCarver’s oddball style of broadcasting. He says a lot of odd stuff, and none of it is memorable or interesting.

19. snarkk said, on October 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

WTF was that wasted pitcher Lynn coming in by LaRussa just to throw four balls intentionally? You could argue the wasted time worked, because Motte then did register the inning ending K, but still, WTF? I’ve NEVER seen that, just wasting a guy so the next pitcher gets 2 minutes more warm up. Why wasn’t Motte warming up sooner? LaRussa is outthinking himself. I hope Texas finishes it off in St. Louis, but it’ll be tough to win up there…

20. Big flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm

it’s a huge 2 games. La Russa can etch a legacy into the top of the top if he wins these next two games. He’s already gonna be HOF. He’s immortal if he wins the next 2. Sleep at all the red lights from there on out— it’s your light dude, everyone else is just waiting at it….

21. twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Flavor was right about the Texas staff. Other than Holland, they’re not very good.

22. Big flavor said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm

We’re all eagerly awaiting your “years to come” post in B.

23. twinfan1 said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm

No, you were right as always, Craig. I looked at the numbers again. I’d expect a pretty big fall off next year.

24. Nipper said, on October 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm

ARF will finish off Texas in St. Louis.

25. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm

REVRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Need better BBs, Flav
    Have you no Gong Li in a hummana hummana?

27. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

….or a Salma Hayek with a snake?

28. TedSpe said, on October 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Sorry, gentlemen (question mark). These belonged in the BB of the Day section.
    Forgive me.