A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The “Sanchez for Melky” Trade

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 8, 2011

I was caught off guard, as most of you were, with this trade yesterday. I did find it fairly ironic that a “Sanchez thread” popped into my head yesterday morning at 5am. No clue where that was coming from but it did turn out to be a slick topic a few hours later. My first reaction was a negative one because I wasn’t impressed with him during his mediocre Yankee career (I watch a lot of Yankee games and he just sorta fumbled his way through his stay there). Then there was the horrible Braves stint. That’s when he got crossed off my “fantasy watch list”. Then he goes out and scores 102 runs playing for the Royals. Actually, that’s not so unbelievable. The Royals have some very good hitters in the middle of their line up, players I had on a few of my teams last year–Billy Butler, Eric Hosmer, Alex Gordon–these guys can rake. I didn’t stop to notice they were driving in Cabrera all season long (well, Butler and Hosmer were, Gordon usually batted lead off). I was shocked to see that Melky banged out out 44 doubles and 5 triples. He had 201 hits. Will Clark, my favorite Giant of all time, never had 200 hits…..

So when I wrote pessimistically that the Giants wouldn’t trade Dirrrtry because his value was so low I really meant they SHOULDN’T do it because you don’t trade something when it’s value is at it’s lowest, you trade it when it’s at it’s highest. Of course I was disappointed to see that they had actually DONE IT and traded for *low value* Melky Cabrera who, in the immediate moment after the trade, I had known, or at least believed,  to have sucked. Then I looked at his season and I was still disappointed because they had used Sanchez to buy a *one season wonder*. After looking at it closer, I then decided this wasn’t a 1-season wonder at all but a trade for an outfielder that is better than any outfielder we have (hitter) and found several reasons to believe he could easily repeat his 2011 season.

1) He’s only 27

2) He’s in a contract year

3) (and this is the big one): He realized he was fat and out of shape after his season with the Braves. Sound like anyone we know? A common falsehood: major league baseball players are out of shape. Certainly you can find the one-off guys who appear fat but can still succeed at the highest level–Sabathia and Heath Bell come to mind. But most of those on that short list are pitchers. Not too many are hitters. And none of them are outfielders. So if Melky looked himself in the mirror last December and said “I’m fat and out of shape” and he decides to do something about it and then goes out and has that type of season. Hey, he’s 27 years old. I’m on board, his 2011 season could be the real-deal……

Sabean confirmed that this was really the only deal out there once he started dangling Dirrrrty. And if this was all that was out there, I am giving Sabes 2 flaps up for pulling this off. I was surprised to read that Sanchez basically gave up on the season after his sprained ankle. Sabean suggested in his press conference that he didn’t want to or didn’t try hard enough to come back and pitch after that. If that’s true, Bochy kept that in the clubhouse last Fall, as he should have. He just kept telling reporters that the ankle wasn’t responding the way they had hoped, he’s not ready yet, yada yada. While the general fan didn’t know what was really going on I’m assuming that this news leaked out to other teams and probably had an impact on the interest level for him. All the more reason why we should be happy that our one trade target was someone like Melky. This would be the equivalent of putting your house on the market at a price above what it’s worth and still getting a buyer to come in and pay the list price. Put another way, if you are a seller and you aren’t getting multiple offers and you only have one buyer you have no leverage. No WAY do you get your list price. Hey, in this case Sabean got his list price. And we might likely find out next year that Sabean got the Royals to bid WAY ABOVE the list price. For only having a single possible buyer, that’s pretty cool….

Take a look at Melky’s hit chart at home last year:

He’s a switch hitter so the fact that he sprays the ball all over the chart isn’t surprising at first but it is worth noting that there isn’t at least a few quadrants in the outfield that he regularly hits the ball to. This tells me that he’s going to eat up the ATT outfield with hits. There is just too much space and not enough good collective defensive outfields that are going to be able to shut this guy down at the plate. As long as he doesn’t get “homer-happy” I think we can expect a repeat of his 2011 and who wouldn’t take that in exchange for Dirrrty’s inconsistencies and, what we learned yesterday, was a *hesitation* to play after he got hurt last Summer……….

1. paulinasia said, on November 8, 2011 at 6:59 am

Obviously the value of any trade isn’t known til it all plays itself out, but still, at the time of the deal, some trades seem easy to like or just as easy to hate. Opinions on this one are all over the place. The pundits say the Royals got the better end of it; sold high on Melky and bought low on Sanchez, opposite for the Giants. It doesn’t matter one bit to me how the Royals did on this. It is a bit painful to give up on a young lefty with dynamic stuff, but the team was very patient with Sanchez. As long as Sabean finds a suitable #4 or #5 starter (these news stories saying this means Zito is back in the rotation are ridiculous) and also another bat or two, this is not a bad start to the off-season.

2. willieD said, on November 8, 2011 at 7:10 am

Only obvious red flag I see is the OB…in 4 yrs with the Yanks as a regular getting over 400 ABs, you have one season (2006) where he has high OB of .360. After that, every season gets worse, from .327 to .301, which is mendoza line type numbers. Not sure, but he might have been hitting at bottom of the order then instead of at the top. 2009 bounces back up to .336.
    Then of course the awful year in ATL, followed by the rebound last year, where the OB is .339. No way he reproduces the power numbers and XBHs here; I just want the guy to get on base and be a base stealing threat. I highly doubt he is a 6 WAR player like Torres 2010, but…as others said yesterday, if you can bring back Beltran the O should score plenty enough runs to support the pitching.
    Any reads on his D in CF?

3. willieD said, on November 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

Wow…check out the fangraphs column on the deal. Cameron the writer sees a lot of good in Melky as a decent offensive 2-3 WAR player for SF, well worth what he will be getting paid this season.
    Also interesting are the blogger comments (some good some uninformed about SF), most of which don’t have good things to say about Melk’s rep as a CF on defense. I think GH brought this up yesterday, and it lends another dynamic to the whole argument of the deal: if Melk can’t play CF (or is at least a noticeable downgrade from Torres) at ATT, what type of value does he have as a corner OF, esp compared to who is here already (Huff belt nate)? And how imp is his D there, or anyone else’s for that matter? Is this a bigger factor if you do sign Beltran?

4. stixwiz said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

Excellent job on the analysis, the chart AND the poll, Flav. Once more you really did your homework. Now i’ll read the comments.

5. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:48 am

The death of Smokin’ Joe, 20th Anniversary of Magic’s shocker about HIV, and in particular, the Penn State scandal, dwarf our little trade as news right now..with people so inflamed (rightfully) over the child abuse scandal, I’ll address that in “B” after there’s more information…
    Unlike most of you ( probably) I remember the Ali-Frazier battles-after the “Fight of the Century”, the WINNER, Frazier, spent weeks in the hospital. Back then, a Heavyweight Championship bout was one of the premier events in all of sports- and that bout lived up to it’s billing. Today, I have no idea who the Heavyweight champ is and care even less- the fates of so many of those men, including Ali, has totally soured me on the “sport”. But I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to loving it then, and Smokin’ Joe was one of the great champs. He’s also said to have been a fine man, and as the testimonials show, one whose fame transcended his sport. May he R.I.P..

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:56 am

Yeah that’s one position in sports that’s just disappeared. I remember as a kid listening to some of those heavyweight fights on my transistor radio.

6. Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:53 am

Bochy on KNBR made a strong declaration that Zito will be his fifth starter. LOL …..that should piss off a few flappers.

• snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

At this point, what else is he going to say — Zito sucks rocks?
      We’ll see about Zito as the offseason unfolds and into ST.
      No way do they enter next season with Zito as the only option at #5…

7. St said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:55 am

Yeah, I like the chart. I’m sold. And agree, he should be motivated with FA pending. 200 hits will more than make up for any slight defensive shortcomings. Few are as good as Andres. Have him and Pablo work out this winter to push each other.

8. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:02 am

Take a peek at the “Trade” link to the right for the negative, to say the least, take from Baseball Prospectus. And if they really intend to stick with Zito and not pursue another starter, my support for the trade has taken a hit. But I’m not one to judge this move until I see what moves do or don’t follow.

9. stixwiz said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

Perhaps the factor that most motivated Sabean to make the move, on the positive side, is the fact that Cabrera is simply a productive hitter, and with decent batters around him, a good run producer. Negative motivation for Brian was that apparently, as Flav and others have pointed out, Sanchez had pretty much burned his bridges with the Giants and needed to move on. May he do well at K.C. and may he not get traded off by them to haunt us later.

Willie: Though it is not unlikely that Melky’s power numbers may sag a bit at PhoneBill park, it is unlikely to say the least that his doubles and triples will also go down. Both sets will relate to the homefield factor. My expectation is that his triples will go up a bit and his doubles should range in the 35-40 bracket. Not particularly impressed with his SB totals as CS was approximately half of the steals figure. Should he bat leadoff we could expect that his disappointing 2011 35BB-94SO ratio will improve somewhat. If Freddy once more bats second, we can expect 70 to 85 doubles from the table-setters. With Posey back and Pablo ready to have his big season at last, run production from the top of the L.U. should take a nice jump. Then come the three ifs: Belt hits his stride; Huff regains at least half of his 2010 form and Beltran signs. Should two of those three ifs eventuate, SF’s run production should jump a bunch. Middle of the pack in runs scored seems like a reasonable projection.

Cabrera’s defense in CF will not immediately bring to mind any competition to Mays or Bobby Bonds. He is not a particularly good centerfielder, but not bad either. Mediocre may be the description. Not a particularly good throwing arm, from what little i have read. If Torres will settle for a modest salary it would be a real good move to bring him back for his late-inning defensive skills. Hell, if SF has a decent lead after four or five innings and the starter looks to be on his game (not unlikely) Torres could come in at that point. Remember, even during the recent disappointing season, if the Giants copped a decent lead the bullpen almost inevitably played sweet music in Preservation Hall.

Looks like most of the Flappers are rallying around the flag on this move. Bit different on Extra Baggs, where, as usual, they are all over the map on the trade. Flav, my take is a bit like yours on this as the exchange has tended to grow on me. My first reaction was “Mellllky CabRERA???”. Then i read the stats, picked up on the fact that he got himself into shape to hit his stride and came to the realization that a peak season at age 26 may well NOT be an outlier and may not even be his career year.

10. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

It IS kinda funny that FatHead thought I’d be the only guy supporting this trade. It’s actually one that can’t be endorsed or nixed until what, if any moves, accompany it- as noted, if they’re now committted to Zits as the 5, it’s a net loss- and one thing Denny was right about, in CF his defense has not been “not bad”, it’s VERY bad, as supported by his career UZR. But that’s another reason we need to wait a bit- we do not know where he’ll play… OR where he’ll hit. I’m not as suportive as I was yesterday but not as negative as BP. Get a 5 starter and Beltran and I’ll feel better about it…

11. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:35 am

NY Times is reporting that Joe Pa’s tenure is over at Penn St. Whether that means immediately or after the season remains to be seen.

Matt Millen was pretty emotional talking about this. He went to Penn St. and Sandusky was his first position coach. He’s known the guy for 35 years, and he said that Sandusky is your next door neighbor. Nice guy. Salt of the earth. Millen’s on the 2nd Mile board. He said he had no inkling in all the years he’s known him that Sandusky was a sexual predator.

Millen stopped short of saying that he wanted to strangle Sandusky, and he stopped to gather his emotions a couple times, but he did say it’s time like this you “want to take care of things yourself.” Anyone with children certainly understands where he’s coming from. Millan also stressed that they have to wait for the shit to go through it’s course and not to crucify anyone before the facts come out, take the emotion out of it, let due process take its course, etc.

Good luck with that. What a nightmare. The board of trustees certainly seems to have made their feellings known. How much did they know?

12. Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

I hope Chuck is pissed! A few BLEEPS are always good for a sports blog!

• unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Funny, Nipper. Pedophilia is such a nice thing to joke about.

How about you grow up?

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

Sorry Chuck, I posted without the benefit of your post on pedophilia. Of course it must be condemned. Still it is okay to get pissed off …..even at me!

13. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

Paterno’s news conference was cancelled. I don’t see him surviving this, I doubt he coaches again.

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

A Sargent Shultz defense?

• snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 11:21 am

The longer they delay dumping Paterno, the more Penn State loses respect as an institution on the national scene. The longer they delay it compounds the folly of putting his and the program’s reputation above the basic human position that protecting pedophiles in your midst cannot be tolerated anywhere, anytime, by anyone. And, it sends signals that a lot of CYA actions are going on internally before they cut him so everybody gets their stories straight. I’ve read speculation that this indictment may be the top of an avalanche of more horrific revelations to come, with more victims likely. Anywhere else, in business or academia, the decision to jettison him is already done and announced and he’s marched out the doors…

• snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I just read where an adult, a new, 9th victim, just today contacted police alleging he also was molested as a child by Sandusky, also as a result of being in the kids organization that Sandusky ran and that used access to Penn State as an attractive prop for the kids. It’s already getting uglier…

14. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:47 am

Here’s Baggarly’s proposed LU:
    CF Melky Cabrera
    2B Freddy Sanchez
    LF Carlos Beltran
    C Buster Posey
    3B Pablo Sandoval
    1B Brandon Belt/Aubrey Huff
    RF Nate Schierholtz/Cody Ross
    SS Brandon Crawford

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

Without Beltran……..what kind of line-up?

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 9:57 am

Regardless of what he says now, I don’t see Sabean sticking with Crawdaddy unless they signed Beltran or similar.

15. Giant Head said, on November 8, 2011 at 11:01 am

As I said..but can be taken with a grain of salt, but I think Sabean is not bothering with Beltran..

The Giants aren’t going to try to re-sign Carlos Beltran
    Craig Calcaterra
    Nov 8, 2011, 12:55 PM EST
    10 Comments
    Getty Images
    Jon Heyman reports that the Giants are no longer going to try to re-sign Carlos Beltran. Because when you add an .809 OPS outfielder like Melky Cabrera and take away a .910 OPS outfielder like Beltran, your severe offensive problems are all better.

Oh, I don’t know. I’m just being mean. I’m sure they have their reasons. Spending money on someone like Jose Reyes could be a reason. We don’t know. The point is, Beltran is now going someplace else. Probably Boston, if everyone who thinks they know a little bit about this sort of thing can be believed.

That makes two rent-a-player situations in Beltran’s career. With the 2004 Astros and the 2011 Giants. he hit well in both of them. Really darn well in 2004, but better than most people realized this past season too. Oh well. Some people are meant to be transitional figures, I suppose.

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 11:16 am

Why don’t don’t you make the proper attributions so we can tell who is being the idiot?

• Giant Head said, on November 8, 2011 at 11:52 am

The story noted it is from Jon Heyman…

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

So nothing there is yours? It’s customary to use quotation marks in instances like this. But whatever, I shouldn’t expect you to know that.

• Giant Head said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm

NBC Sports ran the story…

16. Giant Head said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm

And this may be why we are not pursuing Beltran…

•Rosenthal doesn’t see the Giants having the money to afford Carlos Beltran or Jose Reyes this winter. This math was apparent in September, when GM Brian Sabean told reporters payroll would remain about the same, around $125MM. The Giants currently have $81.683MM in contractual commitments for 2012, and if they tender the most likely nine of their 13 arbitration eligible players that’s another estimated $38.7MM for a total of $120.383MM before minimum salary players are considered. A few million for 2012 could be freed up by trading Jeff Keppinger and signing Tim Lincecum to a multiyear deal.

His numbers look to be dead-on if you guess what each of these arb guys would likely make and if they go after them all, which I could sort of see. Leaves maybe $5 mill on the table…Coco Crisp money? The last year of Rowand’s contract really prevents them from adding a Beltran or Reyes, etc.

They could save a llittle here or there on the arbitration or trading Affeldt, but I dont see how that clear $10 millionish to be in the game for Beltran….

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

It was also reported( MANY times) that additional funds could be made available for the right player. And people much closer to the Giants than Rosenthal or Heyman report that the Giants will pursue Beltran- both beat writers, for just two.

17. snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I like Melky’s hit dispersion chart, Flav. Nice job posting it. It totally backs up his batting stats that show very similar batting capabilities from either side of the plate. That’s actually fairly impressive…

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Snarkk is impressed!

18. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

So it’s not misrepresented as it usually is, I am NOT declaring that the Giants will get Beltran, I’m just joining virtually every local writer close to the team in saying that they will attempt to acquire him… Boston is thought to be the major potential bidder but their brand has taken a hit plus Beltran did prove to himself that he can hit here. Also, as Snark as noted, the partners are very rich people- any budget is not due to lack of funds- if Sabean sells them on a player, they have more than enough money to pony up.,..

19. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Ghead- it’s 26 to 1 for the trade. That doesn’t make the 26 right, but don’t you think you should get to work defending your position? Hell, I gave an anti- trade opinion from Baseball Prospectus ( on the “Trade” link to the right) just help you out,pal. Now you’ve moved on to Reyes and Beltran. Don’t you intend to defend your position that we got bamboozled? Or was that only if I was the only one supporting it?

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm

“Bamboozled” is an impressive word.

20. Black And Orange said, on November 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I hear a lot of people complaining that Sanchez is worth more than Melky, and that we should have got more for him in the trade. Even if the former is true (debatable), these complaints completely miss the point. Baseball is no different than any other marketplace – a player’s “worth” on the trade market isn’t simply a function of his objective production – it’s a function of scarcity and comparative advantage. The trade and FA market are really thin right now, limiting our options. We’re stacked on pitching, low on hitting. The Royals have a surplus CF, and are in desperate need of pitching. The trade helps each team more than it hurts them, which is why it was executed. It has nothing to do with which player is objectively “better”.

• Nipper said, on November 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Yeah but the “better” issue makes a great approach for arguments. Great for blogs.

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm

“The trade helps each team more than it hurts them”.. well, that’s the plan.

21. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm

The Yankees claim they wanted Sanchez and had more than Melky to offer…
    BTW, our chances of getting Beltran could hinge on what *he* thinks of the trade. Adding a top of the order hitter is said to be one of his conditions for returning..

22. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Any ideas on a a game from 2010 for Zeke and I to watch tonight? Not the clincher or any of the postseason games. A regular season classic..

• snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

9/4/2010…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm

how about that Saturday night comeback win over LA in 2010, the one with the Uribe HR, the game I bailed on and found out about late the next day?
      OR
      the game when Bochy got Donnie Mattingly ejected for a “trip” to the mound?

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I think the 9/4 game is the comeback win you’re referrng to.

23. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm

You have every game taped/DVRed???

How about Drrrty’s no hitter? I know it was 2009, but still . . .

• twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm

If you have the MLB.COM package, they save them for you.

24. snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm

For those of you who like good writing, here is a link. Of many stories and opinions I’ve read on this Penn State disaster, this is, IMO, far and away the most striking. The most poignant, the most devastating, and it doesn’t even speak of the grim details. In fact, it is one of the best short pieces of writing I have seen on anything in a long while…

25. unca_chuck said, on November 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Huh. Good, if not disheartening at the same time, stuff.

26. snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I apologize for posting so much here about this Penn State thing. I’m going to cut it out, I know it’s a downer. But, I just can’t get interested much in Melky Cabrera or any other Giants bullshit right now with this story swirling around. It’s just not that important in the scheme of things. One of my mother’s caregivers for several years was a sweet young woman (call her Carla, not her name). Carla tended to my mother like she was her own mother. I will be forever grateful to her for that, as my my Mom just died recently. Carla had a young daughter (10-11) that was molested during the time Carla worked with my Mom. Carla’s daughter was molested by her own grandfather, Carla’s father in law. Carla and her husband found out, and turned him in to the cops. Can you imagine turning in your own father and father in law for child molestation of your child? He was prosecuted. The daughter and Carla’s family had to go through a terrible ordeal in the courts, and the father-in-law is now in jail, and will be for quite a while. The young daughter played sometimes with my Snarkettes when I visited my mother’s home, as we’d arrange for Carla to bring her daughter over to play. A sweet innocent kid, like my girls. I know what the grandfather did, because Carla talked to me about it on several occasions, breaking down. Suffice to say that what he did was despicable. Carla and the family were devastated. But, they are dealing with it, and getting better. The daughter has been scarred, but she is a tough son of a gun, a great little girl, and it looks like she is going to be OK. Doing well in school, etc., at least so far. Whenever I see her now, I think of my kids, and that old son of a bitch grandfather, and my blood boils. The robbing of innocence is a terrible thing, a heinous crime. It enrages me when I think of what happened to Carla’s daughter, and what happened to those little boys in the Penn State locker room brings that back, in spades. If Carla could call the cops on her own father-in-law, Paterno damn well could have called them on this alleged scumbag, his buddy, Sandusky. If we can believe the indictment, Paterno knew a young boy had been raped IN HIS LOCKER ROOM, and did virtually nothing to stop the predator right then and there. And because of that epic failure of a human soul, allegedly, MORE young boys over the next 9 years had their lives scarred forever. OK, that’s enough…

• TedSpe said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Sorry for your loss, snarkk. And yes, this whole Penn State situation is beyond disgusting. I still can’t grasp not only that Sandusky did it for so long but even when he was caught in the act by McQueary, that guy didn’t intervene

• Flavor said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I get why you are so passionate about it and I don’t have any problem with you posting about it here. I’ve tried to read that link you just posted a few times but keep getting interrupted at work–maybe when I get home later tonight…..And sorry about the loss of your mom.

• snarkk said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thanks guys. This is the ONLY blog I would ever share something like this. We have our share of disagreements here, but I am quite certain all the regulars here have far more soul than Paterno. If any of you guys had been in Paterno’s chair hearing that story from your grad assistant, that scumbag Sandusky would have been in jail within hours, AFTER you kicked his ass first…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Snarkk,
      Sorry for your loss and for the palpable pain of this terrible, awful ordeal.

27. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Millen’s reactions, and I believe he was sincere on every level, point up how these horrors can go unpunished for so long- these predators aren’t neccessarily drooling toothless monsters- they’re men who no one can believe would commit such acts. Millen broke down as he clearly acknowledged both his horror at what Sandusky did and his horror that the man he thought he know could commit those crimes.
    With that said, Paterno and Curley and anyone else who was alerted, had a duty towards the children before their friend and co-worker.
    I too feel for your loss, Snarkk, and Carla’s ordeal.

28. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm

9/4/10 it is. I don’t really have a clear remembrance of it, so all the better. Oops.Looks like they’ve now discontinued the archived games from 2010. I’m paying 25 a month and they want another 25 bucks for their “off season” package. I’ll be calling tomorrow- for 25 a month I can’t watch anything..

29. twinfan1 said, on November 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I got it. Cain against Lilly- should be a barn burner. Thanks for the suggestion, Snarkk..Zeke has that bored look that says “another repeat?” Fuck him.

30. dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I’m liking the trade. The only thing I would have preferred to see is that it was straight up. Even the Sabean haters have to admit his strength is evaluating arms and he probably thinks they got the best years out of Sanchez.

How will Sanchez do in the AL with the extra batter? If he doesn’t get it together he’ll struggle to get through 4 innings. Is his arm really healthy? His velocity was down at times last year. That is probably due to the injuries last season. He gave me some good memories as a fan. I am sad to see him go and wish him the best.

Snarkk, sorry for your loss. My condolences.

• Big flavor said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

He’ll probably do better. When he started walking guys he’d end up pitching the worst to the pitcher…9:4/10 is the 4 bomb game, right? Uribe POTG big time in that one…

31. ewisco said, on November 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

wow. quite a whiplash between snarrk and the mundane trade bits. the bottom line is the kids. not negotiable.

that being said, the stories coming out of afhganistan about the large percentage of men with boy lovers and the girls who essentially bed the entire male side of the new family really make one wonder about how they manage to survive at all.