A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Is Bochy for Real? Welly 3.0 on the Way? Or Will Sabean Sign a #5 this Winter?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 9, 2011

Bochy was on the radio pledging his allegiance to Barry Zito as the #5 next year. I love Boch but I don’t believe much of what he says to the press. It’s possible Sabean could go with a “Suppan” to compete with Zito in Spring Training but that is a low % shot in the dark. Finding a *Voggy* happens once every 10 years (or more) so if he goes that route and calls it *competition* then I think we need to get ready for a month of Zito before he hits the DL again—the obvious new plan for the Giants as they ride out the rest of this contract.

What if they went out and signed a legitimate #5 this Winter? The problem with that is that those players are pretty expensive. There is a much greater need on other teams to pay for pitching to fill out a rotation. And we have been spoiled with such great pitching I don’t think we  are ready to deal with a multi-year deal with the “Edwin Jackson’s” of the league.

Roy Oswalt? Please, that is a total pipe dream. I’d sign him on a 1-year deal in a nano-second. But he is going to get a multi-year deal and it’s going to be for a lot of money. He’ll get 3 years, probably 40 million, something like that. No thanks……

And I wouldn’t think Sabean should or would sign a type A  guy but maybe  a Type B.

I’m going to re-post a list from mlbtraderumors.com. I believe it’s updated but haven’t checked so correct me if it’s wrong and I’ll take it down:

Starting pitchers
Tsuyoshi Wada (31)
Tim Wakefield (45)
Brandon Webb (33)
Dontrelle Willis (30)
C.J. Wilson (31) – Type A
Chris Young (33)

Whether it’s because I’m spoiled by our pitching staff or the fact that I wouldn’t ever allow one of these guys on one of my fantasy league teams, I am underwhelmed and uninspired by free agent pitchers like this. But we do have a yard that a guy from this list would WANT to pitch in. Come to SF on a 1-year deal and re-start their careers or put up a nice season that they could parlay into a multi-year deal in 2013. Most of these guys get injured a lot, too. I would totally take a swing at Bedard or Harden except for the fact that they are extreme pussies who treat the DL like a mid-season trip to Cabo. After scrolling up and down this list at least 7 times, I guess I could tolerate Capauno or Chen in a Giants uniform and manage not to throw up when I signed them.

But that’s about it. Hmmmm. Maybe going with a “Welly” or a Suppy” is the better plan after all…….

1. Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 8:21 am

Zito is the man! Flappers get mad!

2. Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

Bloomquist is weighing an offer from the Giants— I’m not interested in him accepting it…..

3. stixwiz said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:06 am

Put all those names up on a big corkboard and throw a dart blindfolded.

4. Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

Bloomy was weighing offers from both the Giants and the d-backs and, thankfully, just re-signed with them. He sucks, they can have him……

5. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’ve been haranguing for Harang for a while now . . .

He’d be relatively cheap, and should do fine at Pac Bell. Zito is a non-entity at this point. BNochy is already saying things like “We won’t heistate to make the move to dump Bubbles if he goes south. Even in camp.”

Better to nip the problem in the bud. 40 gazillion be damned . . .

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:20 am

40 gazillion?

6. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

Well, Willie signed with AZ, so no worry. If they have any intention of giving the job to Mudbug, they need a Bloomquist type, though..
    As far as the free agent pitcher list, there’s a shit load who would be fine as the five. Of course Bochy is supporting Zito now. WTF is he gonna say? But they hardly want an injury project. Let Chuckles have his Harang, if he lives to 100 (Chuck), it would insure he dies happy…

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

Twin being generous for Chuck? The world is upside down.

7. snarkk said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:44 am

Well, probably at least a dozen of those guys are better than Zito. Maybe more. Which ones? That’s Sabes’ job. Bochy is speaking sideways when he says Zito is the #5. Yeah, he is now in the second week of Nov 2011. I fail to see how it is better to keep a worthless Zito and screw up the pitching roster with ifs and buts into ST and still pay him, rather than just cut him during the offseason and pay him to go away like Gamer. They are going to get backups in here anyway in ST, so just face the music and be done with it in a clean way. Then the backups can come into ST to have a real competition to see who survives to take the starting #5 spot. The entire fanbase has written Zito off. It’s not a PR problem for more than a day or two to cut him loose. The problem is in the ownership. They can’t seriously expect any value from him now, after he had last season essentially at Club Med. So, apparently the barrier to releasing him is that cannot fathom finally admitting publicly the horror of the contract…

8. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:46 am

My God, Chuck. I hadn’t even seen your post. Hey, maybe Harang will get the Penn State job..
    On the SS position, I’m interested in who y’all thinks they should get, if you rule out Reyes and Rollins. If it’s the Bug, they HAVE to have a respectable reserve. Starter types are “A-Gony but no Ecstasy” (Atlanta’s Gonzales), Barmes, and Furball. Of the reserve types, Santiago is far and away the best unless you fancy Jack ( you’ll be cryin’ Lonely Teardrops) Wilson…

• Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’m not sure why you are so hot on Santiago. He’s in the same boat as the rest of the shitty SS free agents. I’m fine going with Crawford at this point……

• twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:55 am

With no back up? Santiago is Ruthian compared to what we got last year. I’ll put up numbers later.

• Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

I know what his #’s are–he’s a no power, no speed guy who’s not going to be getting better into his early thirties. At least Bloomy has some wheels. Santiago will cost $$ that could go towards Beltran. Apparently, every cent counts right now. Go with the *cheap* Crawford.

• twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:12 am

You didn’t read my post carefully- I broke down “reserve types” and “starter types. So who atre you going with? Burriss or Fontenot? Wilson? MCDonald? And you were totally fucking mocking starting Crawford just a couple days ago. They do need to sign a shortstop.

9. Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

I would rather sign one of those guys NOW then wait till ST, sign a *Welly* to compete with Zito, have him lose to Z, then have Zito proceed to implode in April– then they DL him and have to go find someone then? Backwards thinking. The only good thing is that they clearly seem to have no immediate plans for Surkamp, who is terrible……

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

Zito is like no other.

10. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 9:53 am

So a few years ago the AD asked Joe to step down, and Paterno refused. Now he’s decided just when he’ll step down and declared that the board forget about his involvement- for everybody’s good, of course. I was wanting to wait for more info before passing judgement on Joe but he should not be allowed to coach again- effective NOW..

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:25 am

Twin getting TOUGH! Off with his head, NOW!

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yeah Joe is finally finished. Agreed.

• Macdog said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

I don’t know where my daughter will go to college five years from now, but I now know where she’s NOT going. This is beyond the pale. If Paterno is allowed to step on that field Saturday, the message is clear: Penn St. values football over basic human decency.

11. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

The Giants may well try Mudbug but there is no fuckiung way they do it without a back up who they’d be comfortable starting. The reserve free agent shortstops are Santiago, John McDonald, Caesar Izturiz,Yunieski Betancourt, and Jack Wilson. In our system are Burriss, Fontenot, and the other kids ( Panik and Adrianza). I’ve suggested Keppinger but I got a reaction like it was Bocock. If it’s not Kepp, the only respectable reserve FA is Santiago.

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:26 am

So now we’re settling for “respectable?”

• twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

For a utilty infielder? Yeah, that’s the deal, pal…

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

We’re pals? Thanks Twin!

• twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

Since this is the home of air trades, here’s one that won’t happen but actually makes some sense- although it depends on whether you think Uribe is more likely to rebound or Huff is. We’re paying Aubrey 11 million. Dodgers are paying Uribe 7 mill a year for two more years. Dodgers offered Huff the same money we did. If you think Juan will bounce back here, and we swap contracts- we get Uribe back at 1.5 million a year for 2 years. Personally, I think Aubrey is more likely to have a good year, but the hatred for him runs deep here, others may disagree.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:56 am

Twin, crazier yet: just buy Uribe. Dodgers need the money. It’s not my money. Maybe Bow Tie could do it as a parting gift.

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

I sort of like Mark Buerhle, but, hey, look at MY Fantasy League record. Nipper getting funnier. Filling in the DJLoo vacuum. No disrespect, Nip. You’re funny in your own BLEEPING way.

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

BLEEPING THANX!

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hear about this? Unless the report I read was tongue-in-cheek (TIC), at his press conference in Baltimore, Dan Duquette, who’s been pretty much out of baseball for nine years but who orchestrated the building of the 2004 Bosox, said he’s gonna make changes, improve the farm system, return to winning, YADDA YADDA here in — wait for it — Boston. Yikes.

14. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 10:59 am

The whole school is implicit at this point. No one is saying a goddamn thing. Joe Pa saying he’s going to coach til the end of the year shouldn’t carry any weight at all.

Herbstreet is is complaining about how pulling Joe Pa and the coaching staff would affect the current team. Sorry, but that doesn’t matter. Not in the least. The team gets caught up in the fallout. Joe should be canned. The program should be, if not disbanded for the rest of the season, at least be cleaned out of every last coach. This has been a dirty secret that too many people knew about for far too long. Clean everyone out. Start over.

Programs get banned from bowl games for minor recruiting violations. It’s good to hear (or not hear) the NCAA weighing in on this. What a crock. They are ALL still in ‘protect the program’ mode. Penn State should be forced to disband the team for 10 years.

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

Chuck is BLEEPING PISSED!

15. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

Compare what Tressel did to this atrocity- yeah, that tattoo parlor scandal was a biggie…

16. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

The school should be forced to not field a football team for 13 years. The length of time they sat on the information that would have stopped this in 1998.

• Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:47 am

i 100% totally agree that the football team should be disbanded for a period of years.

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

How about a march into the countryside? Work in the fields.

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Oh I forgot the players are now victims of this scandal.

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’m glad you find this so humorous, Nipper.

17. Flavor said, on November 9, 2011 at 11:50 am

And can you imagine how this affects the recruits? When they tour the facilities and they see the locker room and the showers they’re thinking to themselves, “I wonder if this is the area of the shower that Sandusky raped that 10 year old” and “Ah, that must be the corner of the showers where he played the soap game.” It would be like walking into a Nazi oven tank and imagining what went on there at the time…..I wouldn’t go play football for that school under any circumstances. They’re ranked 11th today, say goodbye to that ranking. 2011 is the last time they will be ranked in the top 20 for many years, even if they don’t get shut down……

• Nipper said, on November 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm

This scandal may end the season for Penn State. They forfeit the season. This scandal is growing like a firestorm.

18. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Well, they aren’t going to disband the program but it’s absurd to be allowing Paterno to dictate when he retires…
    BTW, ESPN , to it’s credit, hires a lot of women, even if many are just eye candy. But Chris McKendry is really excellent.
    chris

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 1:07 pm

The thing is, who’s there to stop him from coaching? I guess the board of trustees could weigh in, but everyone in the administration and the athletic department is complicit in this. They aren’t going to say a thing. They are just waiting for the axe to fall on themselves.

The board is meeting Friday to “put together a panel to discover what went wrong, and ensure that this never happens again . . .” blah blah blah but one thing I didn’t know is that Gary Schultz, the Penn State VP already charged with not reporting the molestation is the head of the university police department. Not that it absolves Joe Pa in this case, but it does show that maybe me thought he was telling the right person, and they sat on the news. Still and all, since he saw that nothing came of it, he could have very easily gone forward to the real police with the allegations.

Bad shit all around.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Reports say the Penn State president will be out by day’s end. My take: obviously because he did not fire Joe and let Paterno say I’ll coach until the end of the season. That’s for starters. The unfortunate ripple effect here is that good students, kids who have nothing whatsoever to do with the athletic program, now attend an institution, a whole university, that will be tainted for years.

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

He’s out because he stood behind the testimony of the 2 guys that hid this from the authorities. Tim Curley and Gary Schultz.

19. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm

As far as the players for the rest of the season, Paterno probably hasn’t really coached for years. Hell, the kids can dedicate the rest of the season to the old fart and probably do better than if he were there.

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Nobody wants Uribe back? He was one of our heroes, plus great at dominoes. See my 10:56am.

21. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hey Flav, Mike? How do you post videos so they display instead of just the URL?

• twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

You have to be an editor- if Craig says it’s OK, if you give me the URL, I’ll post the video for you. No sheep.

22. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m talking about my blog.