A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A-Gon or Hairston Jr?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 2, 2011

Those seem to be the 2 most likely utility guys that Sabes will target. Hairston is WAY more of a utility guy than Gonzalez, who is really just a shortstop. The only upside for either, if you could call it that, is that they could platoon with Crawford and at least have a chance of hitting lefties, pitchers that Crawford has proven can befuddle him with ease. I don’t know how a platoon situation would go over with a young guy like that since he doesn’t hit righties all that well either and I could see him pressing in games, especially when he knows a lefty is pitching the next day. But really, if you are worried that Alex Gonzalez or Jairy Hairy Whoever is going to take your job from you than you probably didn’t deserve the job in the first place.

I had a nightmare last night that had something to do with Buster Posey sliding into homeplate but just as he got there homeplate turned into a tidal wave that Barry Zito was surfing, engulfing both of them. The only living person left in the wake of the disaster was Eli Whiteside who was signing a 10 year extension outside of Hoover Tower at Stanford–don’t ask questions, it was just a dream……..

I can’t bring myself to cut and paste the list of remaining back up catchers. Blade posted it yesterday. It is underwhelming. And I’m not interested in a poll of Whitey(?) or Stewey(?) because they are both abominable. And this isn’t just about having a back up plan in case Buster goes down. He suffered a horrific injury, it is just not realistic to think that he’s going to come back after not playing almost an entire season and just slide easily behind the plate and start squatting down 200-250 times a game  for 150 games on that surgically repaired ankle. It makes far more sense to have an adequate back up (like Iannetta or Hernandez, both of whom are gone-zo) and let Buster play first base once or twice a week (especially against lefties). I hope Sabean keeps this in mind at the Winter Meetings where he can find a catcher who can actually play the position at the major league level………

Retro-Action Time, baby………..

___________________________________________________________________________

It’s April 13th, 1979 and the Astros are in town. Friday night, 16822 show up to see Halicki vs Joe Niekro. The Giants won 8-7 to run their record to an impressive 6-2. Unlike today’s Astro team, I recognize every single name in that starting LU. A couple weeks ago I said that everything from the ’70’s was either *badass* or *old school* and that Astro LU is both of those from the top to the bottom. Jack the Ripper banged a bomb and a triple and Mad Dog had 3 RBI’s to help with the win. A young, soon to be nicknamed *Hacman* Leonard entered midgame for the Astros, took over center field and went 1-2 with a run scored……..

1. willieD said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:58 am

Duh…it didn’t hit me, 1979, year of Pops Stargell and we are family, one of my all time fav teams. I still have a black 3 ring Pirates hat in the closet–those days I was playing a lot of softball and wore that everywhere.
    Madlock was having his worst season as a pro, hitting just .261 when SF dumped him off to the Pirates. Naurally, he hit .328 for them, stole 21 bases for a career high 32, and raised his OPS by 120 points. The guy won 4 batting titles in his career, but his SF numbers were not as good as what he usually put up—8 of 10 seasons over .300 avg., and always had more BBs than Ks, tho usually not more than 15 HRs.
    Never a great fielder at either 2b or 3b, but a solid line drive hitter who just didn’t seem to like it here. I really liked watching this guy in his stance, spraying rockets all over the field.

• Nipper said, on December 2, 2011 at 8:04 am

SF was about driving the ball and Madlock’s spray approach was not appreciated as much. Of course now years later a guy like that would be welcomed with open arms especially at ATT.

2. St said, on December 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

The quest for that illusive backup catcher contnues. I’d like to see a list of all the backups and their stats salary etc…I’m sure Eli and Stew are down at the bottom, but how do they compare with guys like Matt Treanor (LA) Schroeder (phillies) Blanco (Az) Teagarden (Orioles) …pretty awful bunch there.
    Hernandez is a starter. The one that might have worked was Doumit, but maybe he preferred the midwest or they didn’t want to spend 3m for a BUC. They could go with Stew until June rhen bring up Hector, who will have finished boot camp with Decker.

3. St said, on December 2, 2011 at 8:13 am

Guess elusive is the proper usage there.

4. Nipper said, on December 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

You guys keep fighting progress but the Giants need a DH to help with their weak hitting lineup. Time to move to the American League WEST! Trade out with Houston. And the backup catcher? Who cares! If they’re backups, they can not hit anyway. Okay I’m teasing….

5. willieD said, on December 2, 2011 at 9:08 am

Stros had a solid LU and good P back then. Also the bumble bee unis with all the stripes going across, classically bad look.
    Anyone see M-Ball the movie? Howe comes off pretty badly from what I’ve heard, for a guy whose team had a great run. Even in the book Beane clearly doesn’t have any use for him as mgr., and is raging about his decisions and LU. The team, btw, had excellent pitching and a great season from Tejada, something else that gets zero mention in the film either, I understand.

6. St said, on December 2, 2011 at 9:15 am

And if they can hit a little, they usually aren’t good defensively. Few who do both well. Same dilemma with most SS’s on the mkt.

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

6 NL back up catchers with at least 100 ABs had batting averages lower than Whitey’s .197. But what cooked Vera’s son’s goose was that he showed he couldn’t handle the job defensively if forced into regular action. There is no amount of Bochy man love or Vera Ambrosia Salad that can save Whitey for 2012.

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

“They still need RH power OF/off the bench guy That was sorely missing from last yr.”
      Burrell mostly started in 2010 so they so didn’t have that in 2010 either. What they did have were two excellent role players in Ishikawa and Nate. Bench-wise neither were replaced adequately.

7. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

The problem is that whoever the back up SS is, he *is* going to take Crawford’s job away.That’s why they pressed on with with Cabrera for so long- they knew he at least *might* hit…
    If Bochy loved Whitey so much , he would not have started Stewart more down the stretch. FUCKWHITEY is due for arb, I seriously doubt he’ll be tendered. Stewart MIGHT get a shot in ST because he at least has defensive plusses, but just because most FA catchers are gone, that hardly means that trade possibities have been exhausted. And Hector is probably better than most back up options anyway.
    BTW, Denny was originally one of the chief Whiteside apologists, it was only later that he came over to the sunny side of the street.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on December 2, 2011 at 10:36 am

That’s only because Bochy kept reminding me how our staff “feels comfortable, and likes throwing to him.” Couple that with Whitey’s ability to “call a good game” and it’s no wonder that I, or anyone else for that matter got suckered in to becoming an early Whitey apologist.

He calls a good game? Yeah, real fucking difficult to decide whether to put down one or two fingers.

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

Well, I told you. One of the first lessons I administered was that “calls a good gane” is simply code for “can’t hit a lick”. But thanks for having the grace to fess up, Denny.

8. Bozo said, on December 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

The Giants are probably waiting to see the non-tender list before making a move at SS and back-up C. They might be able to pick up a Ryan Theriot for the utility role depending on what the Cards are doing. With the way the A’s are going about things I don’t see them offering Jesus Flores arb. Who knows what will be available after the 12th.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

I see Jimmy Wynn was long gone by 1979. He had one of the best nicknames ever in baseball.

The Toy Cannon.

Since Hou was in the west back then, I saw him play a lot. Always loved the guy. Tough out. Hit for power. Good OFer. Never quit. Fun guy to watch . . .

• blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

. . . and if I recall correctly, he ALWAYS had a tooth pick in his mouth.

• unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

Musta been where Dusty picked that up . . .

• blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2011 at 11:55 am

Chuck, he was also traded for Baker. Quite frankly, there are quite a few people who think he should have been more seriously considered for the Hall of Fame. He played in the Astrodome and that really cut down on his HR totals. He had a low batting average, but made up for it with a good eye, getting a lot of walks and having a high on base percentage. In fact, Aaron acknowledged that when he edged the Toy Cannon by two HRs for the title in 1967, even saying that he considered Wynn the HR champion that year. A shame his career was cut short in 1977 due to arm/shoulder problems.

10. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

Flav, really. You fucked up Hacman’s nickname?

For shame . . .

• Nipper said, on December 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

BLEEP!

• unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

Come on, Nipper. say ‘fuck.’ Just once.

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on December 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

A Rod ($30.00/15.80/9.50) just won the 7th at the Big A. 2-1 says that horse was juiced.

12. SanDawg said, on December 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The San DIego paper says the Pads would like to move either Jason Bartlett or O-Dog to shed some salary. I know them being within the division complicates things, but I think Bartlett would be a great fit for us. I also saw the Pads took a flier on A Hinshaw.

…and yeah the Toy Cannon was bad-ass. Those Astro teams had some guys who could swing it from the right side–Wynn, Cedeno, Watson, Lee May, Doug Rader.

13. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Dawg, he’s been going downhill fast since his suspicious career year in 2009. .245/.308/.615 last year. 2 HR. 23 for 33 SB. And we’d have to give someone up and pay him 5.5 million. No thanks, IMO.

14. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned- Mariners signed Ford to a minor league deal..

15. blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Anyone here?

Ahem . . . OK, tell me if this is still true – “I’m not gonna hide from it: Barry Zito is our fifth starter next year,” Bruce Bochy told KNBR radio station in November?

Inquiring minds want to know if Eric Surkamp has – no, fair, or good – chance to unseat Zito?

Also, who’s fastball is faster (LOL), the Surkamp 87.9 MPH we saw in his MLB stint or Zito’s?

16. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm

There’s a link to the right if you would like to comment on our playoff bound Niners..
    frank

17. Alleykat said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:11 pm

My alltime favorite baseball player name is Rusty Kuntz……
    Just wondering if Dick Pole ever pitched to him?

18. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm

And as noted before, Rusty was adamant- it was to be pronuonced “Koooooontz”..

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Rusty explains why he didn’t change his name:
      “The question begs to asked – why didn’t Kuntz change his name once it became evident he was going to make the majors? “It’s just never dawned on me I guess,” Kuntz said. “I figured the severe beatings and abuse I took growing up from guys in the neighborhood as well as certain family members and the clergy would just suddenly stop when I became an adult. I guess that same level of reasoning had me swinging 3-0 on pitches low and away when we were down by four runs with the bases loaded with nobody out in the eighth inning…
      Former major league journeyman outfielder from the 1930s Johnny Dickshot, who was born and died in Waukegan, Illinois understood first hand how difficult having an unfortunate moniker could be. “Nobody who had a goofy name never did nothin’,” Dickshot said in a 1997 interview shortly before his death. “You take this Kuntz fella. The second I saw him come up I said to myself, ‘that boy’s in for a whole heap of shit. He’s on the bench for sure.’” In 1985, Hustler magazine offered Kuntz and Dickshot $50,000 each to pose side by side in their uniforms looking back over their shoulders with their names visible. Both men declined the offer.”

19. willieD said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Dawg, I think Twin is right…not necessarily because Bartlett would’t be an improvement and probably hit better away from Petco, but I’d rather not go that route for another reason: I am tired of the f-ing stop gap guys. The idea that you just need someone to hold the position (like a font) til the Kids are ready is baggy eyed. Prospects flame out all the time, and the SS guys the Giants have, including Crawford, haven’t done much with the bat except in lower levels.
    The A’s highly rated guys Taylor and Carter haven’t done jack shit at mlb level, and another supposed top prospect guy they got from STL in the Holliday deal, Wallace, has bounced around for a couple other teams too. I’ve had enough of the ueselessness of Rohlinger and Burriss and Ford and ort and Denker, et al.
    If you are going to add someone, then make it a player you plan to keep and build around. Otherwise, why f-ing bother?

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Well, it’s encouraging for the future that Panik out hit Crawford by 50 points in the AFL, facing the same pitchers..

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Well, getting Bartlett would mean forgetting about Crawford. I don’t have a problem with that part of it, but again- 5.5 million and we give someone up?

20. Alleykat said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Twin,I am fine with Ford moving on.Like Krukow said on Knbr a few weeks back
    “You can’t steal 1B”….A total slam knowing he couldn’t hit is way on board.

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

That post was just for info, I have no opinion either way.

21. blade3colorado said, on December 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Actually willieD, we do have someone, but it will be at least another year and probably two years, before he is up here. Hi name is Joe Panik and I suspect he will be up here sooner than later (although he is only 20 years old). He is a contact hitter with gap-to-gap power who batted .398 with a .509 on-base percentage, 10 home runs and 57 RBIs in 58 games at St. John’s, the school that produced former Giants infielder Rich Aurilia. Not certain how he did in the AFL, but last time I checked, he was holding his own. So, we do have a guy in the future, but when that future is – that’s another story.

Bartlett? Agree, he is flotsam . . . but if you saw my list I posted yesterday on what’s available on the FA list, he’s no worse than them.

22. EdGdsnInExile said, on December 2, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I was making a late dinner with the PAC-12 championship game on ESPN radio and thought the voice sounded familiar: our very own David B. Flemming, as Jon Miller likes to say. He sounded good, better than on the baseball broadcast IMO. Then again, I’m a little jaded because he doesn’t seem to go for all of Jon’s humor…

I looked up both Wynn and Madlock earlier on baseball-reference.com. Wynn was listed as 5’10, 160, and still hit 291 HRs. Tons of walks. Blade, thanks for filling out his story.