A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Quiet Saturday Before Sunday’s Divisional Crown Celebration

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 3, 2011

Unless Sabes does something unusual, today will be a quiet day in my sports world. Club tryouts for soccer are dominating the day. I would have watched the Ducks/Bruins game but just found out that was played last night. I think LSU should handle Georgia fairly easily but Georgia’s got one thing going for them– they ALWAYS cover and sometimes win as the underdog when I bet of their opponent. I’m not betting today’s game so I guess they don’t have that going for them. I’ll probably catch some of the Ok-y/Ok-y St game just to find out who the Cardinal will be playing. I hope it’s Ok-St, that would be a more interesting game. I wish Stanford could get a shot at LSU or ALabama and we could see how a good QB would do against those defenses. I’m not saying they’re overrated or anything, but every time I watch them play they are facing a QB who has no business QBing a D-1 team against a defense that good……..

Baggs doesn’t think there’s any truth to the rumor that Sabean might trade some relief pitching at the Winter Meetings, citing the fact that the Giants signed Lopez and Affeldt, why would they turn around and trade them? Actually, I could see a scenario where Sabean decided early in this off season that the free agent market for relievers, utility guys and back up catchers was thin. So, instead of pick up a *Barmes* for $10 mil why not secure a section of the market that he could use as trade bait at the Winter Meetings? I’m not predicting he does this just that I could see him thinking ahead and doing it. Actually, I see it as  a great approach to this particular off season. If I had to sign one of the available free agents I think I’d puke first–they’re either grossly overpaid in years and $ (the Reyes’, Fielders’, Pujols’ etc…) or they suck (Bloomquist, A-Gone, Barmes etc…). If Sabes has his eye on someone and thinks he can trade some relief pitching for him more power to him. The Yankees, by the way, are still desperate for a left handed reliever…..

Without further ado, Retro-Action, baby……….

______________________________________________________________________

After starting 7-2 we then proceeded to go 2-12 over the next 14. Ouch. Today, let’s take a look at May 12th, 1979. Halicki pitched a complete game 4-1 victory over Randy Lerch–super skinny tall fellow if I recall correctly. Roger Metzger’s meager hold on SS the last couple of years was starting to erode as a new young buck by the name of *Johnnie LeMaster* was starting to take over the position more regularly. Though he’d been with the big club for a few years, he was 25 in ’79 and Altobelli must have thought it was go-time for “J– Boo”. He got 3 hit today. He hit .254 for the year in ’79. For some unknown reason, I willfully collected a bunch of Del Unser baseball cards this year. I have no idea why……..

1. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 9:32 am

“The Yankees, by the way, are still desperate for a left handed reliever”

I was thinking the same thing and ONLY one name comes to mine . . . Eduardo Nunez. In 2010, he was named to the International League All-Star team, the postseason All-Star team, and the Topps Triple-A All-Star Team. Consequently, Nunez was named Yankees minor league player of the year for 2010.

He is tabbed to be Jeter’s replacement. However, Jeter isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon. Couple that with 2nd base being occupied by a fair to middling player named Cano (HA.), your point about them being “desperate for a left handed reliever,” and most important – the overall stench of their entire pitching staff, not named Sabathia – who knows? They just might bite.

2. St said, on December 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

Excited about what the Panda will do now with Lasix surgery and another off season of training with Triple Threat.

• Big flavor said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:34 am

With his weight still down, a near all star year in the bank and the lasix surgery done the Giants should buy put his arb years now and break the bank to do so. He could win a couple batting titles over the next 5 yrs.

3. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:48 am

They said they’re waiting to see what shape he’s in when he reports before talking a long term deal…

4. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Sabean is still saying thay that they need to improve their hitting elsewhere to afford Crawford’s bat. He’s also said that an OFer is priority one at winter meetings. Let’s hope it’s a real good one as Belt has not progressed much based on his DWL stats. He should be destroying that league. I see Huff back at first and needing another starting OFer.

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 11:40 am

Belt should be doing to the DWL what Hector is doing to the VWL..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Sabean can go sign all the other outfielders till his heart’s content.
      With Melky bumbling in center, and Shitholtz loping in right, it’s still gonna suck.

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm

If Posey does return to form, Sandoval, the OFers you mention, plus maybe Willingham ( who becomes a perfect fit now), they’d be fine. If Huff has his traditional up year, more than fine.

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2011 at 1:14 pm

BLEEP the horses!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

At least you didn’t mention the return of Fruckie to our lineup. You badger that injury-prone pussy more than I do. Sure, Fruckie will be ready by April. Shot down in May. And we’ll be singing that same old song when he’s IRed, IRed in June…That’s (Fruckie’s) Life…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Nipper, how come you haven’t visited my barn as of late? I could use an extra hand shoveling this shit.

“Santa Claus sends him his wish list every year.”

Don’t forget the eggnog, my friend.

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm

And the Brandy!

5. SanDawg said, on December 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

Flav, I’ve been amazed in the past how often you have found a way to mention Edwin Jackson and Adderall in the blog, but I think your obsession with Ed Halicki has now surpassed both of those offbeat topics!

You gotta love Del Unser in the cleanup spot! I also got a kick out of Rudy Meoli, who I don’t remember being on the Phillies, playing 2nd base. Good to see the Secretary of Defense–Garry Maddox in the line-up as well. I was very bummed when the Giants traded Maddox, but grew to love Willie Montanez during his brief stay with SFG. Montanez then got spun for Darrell Evans, who was not one of my favorites.

6. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I’m sort of surprised that the fish gave Heath Bell $9 million per year (especially for a 3 year contract). His strikeout rate declined in 2011, from 11.1 strikeouts per nine innings in 2010 to 7.3 this year. He’s also 34. That being said, his average fastball velocity (94 mph), WHIP (1.15), ERA (2.44) and opponent average (.223) were all in line with his previous performance. Seems like there are quite a few cheaper options out there (here are the 11 who rank in the all time top 25) . . .

Rank Closer Saves
    2. Francisco Cordero 327
    3. Jason Isringhausen 300
    4. Francisco Rodriguez 291
    5. Joe Nathan 261 (off the board)
    7. Brad Lidge 223
    8. Jonathan Papelbon 219 (off the board)
    16. Heath Bell 134 (off the board)
    18. Matt Capps 124
    20. Octavio Dotel 108
    24. LaTroy Hawkins 87
    Fernando Rodney 87

Additionally, (unless I am mistaken) Ryan Madson is available and he is coming off a 32 for 34 save performance.

7. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Good post by Giants fan, Wendy Thum at FanGraphs regarding Pablo Sandoval’s 4th overall finish among MLB third baseman . . .

“. . . With the fewest innings played of the four (Beltre – AL GG, Polanco – NL GG, and Longoria – 3rd), Sandoval led all third basemen in the three types defensive metrics tracked on FanGraphs. He had the most rPM (runs plus minus saved) and DRS (defensive runs saved) with 20 and 22, respectively. He had the highest RZR (revised zone rating) and excelled at reaching balls outside the average third baseman’s zone (OOZ). He also had the highest UZR/150 at 17.9. And he did all of this on the team with the third-highest ground-ball rate in the majors.

Sandoval is the only infielder with the highest rating in all three types of defensive metrics. For first basemen, second basemen and shortstops, no single player captured the season lead in all three categories. This is significant because, as discussed in the FanGraphs glossary, the various metrics measure defensive acumen in different ways and often produce conflicting results. The fact that Sandoval mastered all of the metrics suggests to me, at least, that he was the very best at the hot corner in 2011 . . . “

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Stay in shape Pablo! Watch out for mom’s home cooking.

8. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Pablo will win the GG next year, he’s already the best offensive 3rd baseman in baseball (1st in BA, 2nd Slugging, 1st OPS). He’s the best third sacker in the game, no contest.

9. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

If you look at today’s MLB Trade Rumors (Giants site), you will find this note:

“According to a report passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker (on Twitter), at least one MLB team has bid on Hiroyuki Nakajima since the posting process started on Monday. The Seibu Lions are expected to accept the highest bid, regardless of amount.”

Over his career, the 29 year old Nakajima has batted .302 with an on-base percentage of .369 with 149 home runs. The shortstop is an excellent fielder and is considered Japan’s 2nd best pure hitter after a center fielder playing there (sorry, I can’t recall his name).

10. zumie said, on December 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm

“He had the most rPM (runs plus minus saved) and DRS (defensive runs saved) with 20 and 22, respectively. He had the highest RZR (revised zone rating) and excelled at reaching balls outside the average third baseman’s zone (OOZ). He also had the highest UZR/150 at 17.9.”

Egads. Where’d I put my sliderule?

11. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Oswalt rejected the Rockies overtures (do you blame him?) and now they are zeroing in on Kuroda. They will have to overpay to get him though, since Kuroda was the Dodgers ace the second half of last season (overall 3.04 ERA) and he has many suitors not only in MLB, but Japan (Carps).

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Our offense is gonna suck (again) regardless who (barring a Reyes signing) plays SS next year.
    Sabean remains hell bent on winning with pitching and defense. Fine. I have no problem with that.
    What’s the difference if we avg. 3.6 or 3.5 runs/gm as we did last yr again? Do it with Crawford at SS.

That is unless TF tells me we’re gonna score 4.5 runs/gm like it did last year.
    If that’s the case, feel free to start the 40+ year-old SS du jour…

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Just get someone who drinks freely and enjoys a good time. Ability to get a hit now and then would be helpful.

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm

So you made your calls based on the openng day LU missing more then 20% of the season? Or did you make any calls at all at the beginning of the season? OK, got it. He picked 88 wins and another World Series win..

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Anyone who picked them to repeat in no postion at all to be trashing anyone else’s calls on anything.

13. willieD said, on December 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

LeMaster at .254 had to be one of his better seasons..he was from Kentucky and grew up a Concepcion fan. My buddies that didn’t care for his (lack of) offense used to call him “Redneck disaster.”
    Funny thing about SS too–one year didn’t Jose Uribe hit .292? I also recall SB champ Bert Campaneris of the A’s blasting over 20 HRs one year.
    Love to see that kind of stuff out of SF SS, this year.

14. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm

So Sabean says he’s looking for an OFer as priority one at the winter meetings. Looks like Cuddyer is likely to stay with Twins. So FA-wise we’ve got Beltran, Wilingham, Crisp…I left out the total crap.What about trade candidates? It would take more than a relief pitcher to land a good one. Any realistic ideas? I could still see Ross back- with a ..900+ career OPS against lefties, he might be platoon worthy. Who else?

15. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Only two Mike, besides the 3 you mentioned, Jason Kubel and Ryan Ludwick . . . Kubel is an underrated corner outfield option at age 29, with some pop, e.g., he hit 28 homers and drove in 103 just two years ago. He needs to improve his on-base percentage, but he profiles as a solid No. 6 hitter at the right price.

Ryan Ludwick was an All-Star in 2008 with the Cardinals, but has bounced around since then and had a poor season in 2011, batting .237 with 13 homers in San Diego and Pittsburgh, which obtained him at the deadline. At 33, he should have a couple of good years left (potentially), but the Giants shouldn’t open the vault.

Personally, I think Beltran is out of our price range. I like Crisp (barely) over Willingham.

16. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, maybe Ross too . . . The Giants’ postseason hero of 2010 is just 30 and hitting the open market for the first time. He totally fucked up last season, i.e., he could have cashed in as a FA. – but a .240 BA, with 14 homers for the Giants in 2011 sunk that scenario. However, just that fact, might be the motivating factor for him to sign an incentive laden deal and attempt to cash in next year. He would be a fit as a No. 7 hitter for a team willing to give him another shot. He has a lot to prove. I would have no problem with the Giants signing him at a reduced salary w/incentives for one year.

17. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I thought about Kubel but I don’t like his chances power-wise here . As to Ludwick, he’s way iffy unless he’s reached minor league contract status.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm

No disagreement there . . . Speaks more to the fact that there are few players in the prime of their careers. Giants would definitely be taking a flier on any of these guys . . . Let’s face it, they’re only a couple of jewels (Beltran) and they might turn out to be “semi-precious.”

What scares me is that the Giants – for whatever reason (likely payroll) – will pursue some stiff like Willie Mo Pena . . . I’ve read 3=4 articles rumoring that. UGH!

18. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm

You have to be unspeakingly terrible in every other facet of of the game to hit 5 HR in 46 AB ( as Wily did after AZ picked him up) and get released..

19. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Got an idea for a topic in Room B . . . Ask everyone to pick the following:

Question 1 – Who do you want the Giants to add to the team next year (free agent and/or trade)?

Question 2 – Sabean WILL acquire these players via the FA market and/or trade?

The first question is your “Santa Claus” list and the second question is . . . umm, the “Great Recession” list, i.e., what likely will happen.

20. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Room B is hardly worth my time. There’s a link to celebrate the impending 49er clincher and first playoff appearance in 9 years. No interest.

21. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Well, it’s probably due more to the fact that it’s the Giants off-season, not an indictment on the Niners. Although I wish April would arrive – I like the hot stove season. Other than you and a few others here, no one has chimed in (lately) on what the Giants are going to do, much less on the 49ers impending playoff (as you pointed out).

I’m amazed and grateful that Flav keeps this blog running day in and day out. WillieD mentioned Johnny Lemaster and that got me curious, so I did a google search and I came across a blog named after him, called Sons of Johnnie Lemaster . . . http://sonsofjohnnielemaster.blogspot.com/

Who knew? Activity there is almost non-existent though.

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Craig does a great job, no doubt. I would never be up to coming up with a new and interesting topic every day.

22. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Have to agree with SanDawg about Flavors obession with Halicki.Just because he tossed a freak nohitter in a otherwise losing pitching career should he not get this much pub.Flav a much better Retro pitcher with10 times better stuff and a winning career pitcher was Scott Garrelts.

23. Flavor said, on December 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Maybe the dumbest internet headline I’ve ever read:
    From Yahoo Sports: “Accuser Attorneys: Sandusky Unconvincing”

24. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Since when does a favorite player have to approved by others? Or be a star? Sometimes you just like a guy, well, “because”.. I don’t have any special affinity for Halicki but I have dozens of favorites who won’t be getting any HOF votes. I would think everybody does. Joe Pettini, the O’Brien twins, Toby Atwell, Travis… hundreds really.

25. SanDawg said, on December 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I agree totally. I wasn’t criticizing the Halicki obsession; in fact I applaud it enthusiastically and look forward to the next Ho-Ho retro start.

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

We shoulda traded Dirrrty for Jose Reyes like I wanted to many moons ago. Now? Will have Melky leading off our batting order. He of the lifetime .331 OBP. Shit. A wooden Indian could best those numbers just standing there taking pitches all day long.

But I wouldn’t worry about Melky’s lack of offense if I were you. The Giants are gonna ask him to mind the wide open CF spaces of AT&T. He of the lifetime -7.3 UZR/150 at said position. The thought of those numbers makes me wanna take a stroll out on my ledge…

Speaking of which…if you would all now please excuse me, I’m gonna get back to watching “It’s a Wonderful a Life.” It’s a Wonderful Life? Well, that’s what they keep telling me anyway. George Bailey shoulda taken that header off the bridge like he intended to do in the first place. Leave it to a boob named Clarence Oddbody to intervene.

AS2 indeed. Still waiting to hear those bells ring…

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, they should have traded Ross for Braun like I wanted, too..
      What did the Mets say about your trade ? Denny, this is your dumbest spiel yet.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

No. What was an even dumber “spiel” was your adamant stance that you wouldn’t trade Dirrrty for Reyes even if Sandy Alderson would have green-lighted my “fantasy proposal.” You would have played the part of the Grinch and did your best to keep Christmas from coming.

And now you have Melky Cabrera for your efforts. After watching Melky roam CF for our Giants this year, little Cindy Lou Who won’t be the only one who cries boo-hoo-hoo…

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm

“No. What was an even dumber “spiel” was your adamant stance that you wouldn’t trade Dirrrty for Reyes even if Sandy Alderson would have green-lighted my “fantasy proposal.”

I never said that. I only said that the Mets would never do it. Anyway, my Ross for Braun was better.
        As was Rowand for Pujols .Now you’re stuck with Huff and 12 million for Rowand..

27. James said, on December 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Favorites are cool, but claiming that Garrelts had vastly better stuff than Halicki is total nonsense . . . I nominate the 2-hitter I saw him toss against the Pirates in ’75, I think (Pittsburgh still had Richie Zisk). I was sitting right behind home plate, and distinctly remember one of the hits the Pirates mustered. Stargell hit a line drive that just seemed to clear Ho Ho’s noggin, and it didn’t touch the ground until after it bounced off the base of the CF wall.

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 9:22 pm

You should be replying to Alleykat..

• James said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Right, I knew it was Alleykat who made the comparison. Darrell Evans was a better player for the Giants, but I wouldn’t begrudge SanDawg his preference for Montanez, as he cast it.

• Alleykat said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:27 pm

James…I watched both these guys pitch at the Stick and Imo Garrelts could bring the heat that Halicki lacked.What derailed Scotty’s career was the Giant’s again Imo lack of decsion to use him as a starter or reliever.They kept fucking with his head,starting a few relieving a few.He should of been a STARTER.Arm injuries finally did Garrelts in.But he was an AS once and came in 6th for Cy Young.

• James said, on December 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I agree, it’s too bad Garrelts was not handled consistently, although I think his biggest problem was command. Halicki didn’t throw quite as hard (nobody except Ryan and JR Richard seemed to throw in the high 90s back then; guys with that kind of heat seem like they are a dime a dozen now). But Ed had a terrific slider. He was also done in by arm trouble, I think.

28. willieD said, on December 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

If all you are going to do is add Coco Crisp, I’d rather keep Torres. You can’t steal anything from the whirlpool.

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I’ve said that since Crisp’s name surfaced. I just fear they’ll do it.

29. Del Mar Dennis said, on December 3, 2011 at 11:04 pm

“Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.”
    ~Clarence, AS2. Check that. Clarence, AF1. I just heard the bell ring.

Merry Christmas.