A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bad Weekend for Bay Area Sports

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 12, 2011

Andrew Luck didn’t win the Heisman. It wasn’t surprising to me but it was still a bit of a buzzkill…….

The Raiders got destroyed again. I can’t put my finger on it but there is something that I’ve never really liked about Hue Jackson. It’s like he’s all words and no substance. Anyway, he’s annoying and I wonder how many times he will take responsibility for this blowout loss. And what exactly is taking responsibility to him? Just saying the words? When you’re getting blown out and destroyed in back to back weeks there is something majorly wrong with everything….

The Niners lost and clearly that was because God was engineering the Bronco’s comeback win. Must not have had time for the Niners. 🙂 Smith didn’t play well. He was less accurate than usual. That could have had to do with a ferocious blitz coming from all sides every single freaking play. I hope Harbaugh et al. sees what everyone else saw and makes adjustments. With no time to throw and a receiving core that either can’t separate and/or can’t catch when it hits them in the numbers, well, you’re not going to score points consistently. Smith’s scramble on their final play of the game was magnificent. Hunter HAS to catch that ball……

The Bronco’s won. I’ve never liked them all the way back to my college days when my roommate was a rabid Denver fan. He was devastated and embarrassed by their 55-10 thrashing at the hands of the Niners and I still remind him of that game. Over the years, my feelings about them have dulled a bit, I haven’t had a good reason to dislike them. Until now. I don’t have a problem with Tim Tebow, he seems like a nice enough guy. I enjoyed watching him play in college. It’s the praise and the credit he gets that bothers me. The team isn’t winning because of Tebow. They’re winning because of their defense. He’s definitely resilient and a winner, a warrior, all that. But the credit he’s getting is more annoying than a Hue Jackson press conference.

At least nothing bad happened to the Giants. Manny Ramirez said something funny this weekend. When asked if he would consider playing in Japan he goes, “We are the working class and where ever there is work, we must go to work.” Um, dude, you’ve made 200+ million in your career in salary alone. What *working class* do you belong to? LQTM……

Retro Time……..

________________________________________________________________

It’s 1980 and this was not a good year. We never led. I don’t think I’m gonna spend to much time on 1980. Dave Bristol is the manager. Today, is the home opener. We won 7-3 on a Vida Blue complete game. The Rennie Stennett Era has begun…….

1. Nipper said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

These coache’s press conferences are a waste of time. The coaches can’t rip anyone or tell what they really think. Hue talks too much and his team is kind of wussy. Injuries haven’t helped too. Harbaugh has these weird eyes at his press conference like he’s stoned from watching film. He’s a very defensive guy on any level. These guys need press secretaries with some charm and good eye contact to confront the media.

2. Alleykat said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:56 am

Screw the Tebow hype.It was the dumbass Bears that gave them the.game when Bar njber ran out of bounds that would have iced he gameGuess Jesus gave him a nudge.

3. willieD said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:56 am

When I was into hiring and firing people in another job, an admin guy once told me he didn’t pay attention to what people wrote on resumes–he automatically assumed it was BS. He wanted to talk to them and get a feel for what they were like in person. I think Hue is one of those guys who can always get himself hired because he does the interview process well and sells himself—whether he can actually coach or not is open to serious doubt.
    Dark days of Retro time…Rennie Stennett era, Bristol as a mgr.

4. St said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:24 am

Dark days indeed. G’s were a tough sell from 1979-85. Opening day drew and so did the Dodgers, but otherwise, the wind made more noise.

• St said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:45 am

Things bottomed out on Oct 2, 1985, with G’s 60-97, 34 games back, and facing Houston on a Weds night. Attendance was a robust 1,213.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:03 am

dude, you’re ruining RGOTD for me! lol

• St said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

Ha,ha. Sorry about that.

5. Giant Head said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:29 am

Not all bad of a weekend…Warriors did not get stuck with a $60 mill Tyson Chandler contract nor lose Stephon Curry for one year of Chris Paul. Hopefully the Clippers cant resolve the Chris Paul trade before the time expires for them to match the Warriors offer on DeAndre Jordan. This Jordan guy may be the next Zach Randolph…

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:06 am

well, they DID get Jordan to sign an offer sheet. I am PRAYING (well, if I was religious I’d be doing that) that the Clips match that deal. There’s no reason to panic and sign a guy just to sign somebody new. Beeds came into camp in great shape. Let’s see what he’s got. If it’s nothing (again) then just ride the year out, it’s only 66 games. See what next year’s FA crop looks like…….

6. Giant Head said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

Wow, Milt May…totally forgot that name…Stennett was a disaster only Bob Lurie could love…

• St said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

Spec Richardson was the GM.

7. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:42 am

I haven’t been into the retro games too much, I just don’t remember them as much as I used to. I do remember Rennie, one of the most despised Giants ever. We used to ride him for not hustling ( at least that was the perception)…”Don’t wanna get that uniform dirty, gotta wear it tomorrow”..

8. Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:49 am

He ended up playing one full year for us and then it looks like he just got released in ’81–yet the G’s kept paying him through ’84. Did he get injured or something? It would be unusual to pay a guy %650K a year (at the time) and not play him or release him and he doesn’t catch on with another team, right? Drug guy?

9. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:01 am

As I recall, it turned it he was injured when they signed him to a 5 year deal in ’80. They released him in ’81 and ate the contract.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

that was their first *big* foray into the free agent market. Pretty epic failure. I wonder who their first big FA hit was? Thoughts?

• Nipper said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

Chomp! Gulp!

10. Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:22 am

Ishikawa just signed a minor league deal with the Brewers. Good luck to him. Who is are 4th outfielder right now? Belt? Does Christian make the team as it’s currently constructed?

• Nipper said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

Ishi was one of Chuck’s favorite players. He was always mentioning him.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:57 am

He just likes saying “Ishi”..

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:55 am

I saw talk about Graham. I also saw talk that they’d go with 8 “infielders” and just 3 OFers.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:56 am

Talk later, off to doc.

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

Good luck Twin . . . Hopefully all good news.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Nothing good can come from a seizure. She upped my anti-seizure meds while we wait for an emergency MRI. We’re not all baseball players, it can take a bit to get one based on your insurance. She’s doing the best she can, but unfortunately, she’s only a good doctor, not a great one 😉

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm

No idea who your insurance company is, but I love Kaiser Colorado, albeit, as you pointed out – anything out of the scope of my GP (who I consider an excellent doctor), takes the figurative “act of congress.”

Nevertheless, when I lived in the bay area, Kaiser California (not the same entity as the Colorado division) was “voodoo assembly line” medicine at it’s worse. Just the waiting time to see a doctor was pathetic . . . and, when you finally saw the physician, he/she got you out of there as quick as possible. Conversely, my personal physician in Colorado takes an hour at least for a physical exam.

Again Twin, I hope it’s as seamless as possible for you today (this week) regarding your MRI and other medical appointments.

11. St said, on December 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

I can certainly understand Ishi wanting to go to another org.

12. Bozo said, on December 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

Good move for Travis. The Brew crew just might be needing a 1B soon.

13. snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Didn’t Rennie Stennet have some sort of actual or alleged ankle injury? He’s gotta be in the top 10, if not top 5, all-time bad Giant acquisitions…

• St said, on December 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Broke his leg the yr before.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

It turned out, if I recall, that he was injured when he was signed. I remember that he was booed like he was Benitez, Sr. His injury wasn’t “alleged”, it was a terrible injury that acutally ocurred a couple years before we signed him. He never recovered from it. “Pittsburgh’s fleet Rennie Stennett was never the same after he destroyed his ankle when his spikes caught on second base in 1977. He was hitting .336 at the time but never batted higher than .244 in four seasons after the injury.” It was an awful signing, but he never deserved the abuse he got, he tried hard to get back. I feel badly for how much I booed him..

14. St said, on December 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Scary stuff, Twin. Really feel for you.

15. snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Heismann winners translate poorly into NFL players, since it has a lot to do with regional biases and sleeping voters waking up to pay attention at different times. It’s a beauty contest, not a sports competition. So, I take Luck not “winning” the Heismann as a good sign he will be a great pro. His real award will be the #1 draft choice.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm

For the reasons you listed, I take issue with the many MANY people who call it the most prestigious individual award in all of sports. To me, it isn’t even in the top 5…..

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm

POTD on The Flap is bigger…

• Nipper said, on December 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm

LOO hall of shame is even better!

16. Giant Head said, on December 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Didnt Bochy make a comment that Burriss would get some OF backup time?

I still have penciled in for a bench: Backup C (probably Stewart), Fontenot, Burriss, Pill and I will put Belt on the list, but still think he will be the starting 1B and Huff in left and Pagan in right…Nate then on banch opening day, but iwll get plenty of starts.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

They plan for Burriss to play everywhere except catcher.. even first

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Sounds like they also plan to finish 3rd…

17. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Stennett might still be the only big leaguer to go 7 for 7 in a 9 inning game.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I think Cesar Gutierrez (?) got 7 hits in a game too, but it might’ve been extra innings…

• James said, on December 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm

His 1974 season is remarkable also. 196 hits, yet his OPS+ was just under a 100. Nearly 200 hits, and only 84 runs scored.

18. stixwiz said, on December 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Like Travis, Jerome Williams gets taken by another squad. Angelos gave him a Minor League contract that with incentives of $120K, could add to a million for him. Looks like Ryan The Riot will not be offered arb by the Cards. Would he be an upgrade on Burriss?

19. SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I know I’m in the super minority here, but I’m down with Crawford and Burriss at SS.

As a kid I used to love listening to “Sportsphone 68” with Ken Dito. (sp?) I remember the anti-Stennett sentiment was running very high and Rennie had the guts to come on Dito’s show and speak directly to a few callers. It was ugly as he was absolutely despised.
    We followed up the Stennett signing a few years later with an over-the-hill Manny Trillo. Those were dark days.

• zumie said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I was at a game where Trillo and an outfielder bumped into each other on a pop-up. They said some harsh things to each other, and Trillo shoved the guy away. Just a wretched period in Giants history.

20. snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I fail to see how Burriss adds much to the roster even if he’s #25. He’s been around for several years now, up and down, we’ve seen his game. His defense has been spotty, at best. He’s fast, but isn’t a good base stealer. And he hasn’t proven he can bunt or hit ground balls to consistently get hits with his speed. No pop, none. Oh, he’s cheap, that’s a plus, and he can be versatile in a D pinch to play OF and IF positions. Maybe he’s had an epiphany in improving those skills the past few months? If you don’t expect much from him, you won’t be disappointed. Kepp is much more accomplished, a real major leaguer, and a guy that can hit in clutch situations, good ABs. I’d rather have him as a utility IFer, especially with Franchez being fragile. But, he’d cost more, and there’s the rub. Putting Burriss on the 25 will be strictly a money move…

21. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Stennett’s contract was for 450,000 a year plus 1 million bonus, deferred. Obviously that was big bucks then, to earn him the hate. He was perceived as lazy and stealing his paychecks…BTW, Rennie was part of a a team that marked a significant milestone- 40 years ago Pittsburgh fielded the first all-minority starting lineup,on September 1, 1971…

22. DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Aramis Ramirez to the Brewers. In 1974, every cugine in Brooklyn used Aramis cologne.
    How about a cologne debate in Room B?

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm

For whatever reason, I still think I have a bottle of that stuff hidden away in a bathroom drawer. Yeah, that stuff is circa Bee Gees era.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Room B pretty much died. Even the Night of the Living Dead 44D Hookers couldn’t get a peep. Probably my fault. Maybe I can come up a new format, nothing has worked so far.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

How about (just for the off-season) all things non-baseball? The best and worst of anything. Great bosses, shitty jobs, best girlfriends, worst dates, a memorable stranger, a crazy neighbor, a good vacuum cleaner recommendation, anything!….No one can discuss Giant baseball incessantly.

• SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I like Loo’s idea. And I can tell you I love my old school Electrolux tank-on-wheels model.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm

kess ker say “cugine”?

23. Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm

you look at Stennett’s career and go, “Why the Hell did the Giants sign him?” In ’78 he hit .243 and in ’79 he hit .238, both years with an OBP under .300. For that they give him that huge deal?

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Two words.
      Spec Richardson…

• SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm

My brother used to tell me the Giants were so broke they couldn’t afford to hire their own GM, so the league gave them the inept Spec Richardson. Of course he also used to tell me Wilt Chamberlain lived down the street from us in San Luis Obispo.

24. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I have no idea what the thinking was other that they become convinced that was finally healthy. They knew of the injury and it was a major one- it’s been compared to one Jason Kendall suffered- one that’s listed among the 25 most gruesome sports injuries ever.

• zumie said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I’m going to guess that Joe Theisman made that list.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm

#1

• SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

How about Bobby Valentine?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

really, where is Bobby Valentine’s injury on that list? my homey was never the same player after that

• SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Pawlie. I knew my Stanford/Stamford/Stafford/Samford/Stratford-on-Avon bro would have my back on this one.

25. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Burriss is a former first round pick out of Kent State University (you all recall that he was the 33rd pick in the 2006 Draft and the Giants second pick in the first round with the other being Tim Lincecum). When Burris came up, everyone thought, this kid has great speed, base-stealing acumen and the ability to hit near the top of the batting order. He was also fairly patient. Pfffffft!

That was then . . .

Now, he still needs a lot of work on his footwork as a middle infielder. Burris is almost completely devoid of home-run power. He also isn’t patient as he was when he first came up.

Besides last year, he has had two previous stints in the Majors: 2008 and 2009. In 2008, with Omar Vizquel suffering through injury and regression and Brian Bocock just a plain old bad option all together, Burriss came in and performed admirably as the Giants’ starting shortstop. In 274 plate appearances, he hit .283 with a .357 OBP and added 13 stolen bases. Despite his good plate patience numbers though (0.96 BB/K ratio), he proved to add no power whatsoever as his ISO was only .046 and his OPS was .686.

In 2009, he earned the starting second base position in Spring Training in a close battle with Kevin Frandsen (the Giants gave the starting shortstop position to free agent Edgar Renteria). However, Burriss failed to capitalize on his strong Spring and 2008, as he regressed in almost every offensive category. His gaudy BB/K ratio fell to 0.41, his average dipped to .238 and his already minuscule power numbers fell to new depths (0.30 ISO). After playing in 94 games in 2008, he only appeared in 61 games in 2009 as he eventually lost the Giants’ starting second base job to Matt Downs.

RotoWorld said this when he was called up in September, “One of the worst offensive players in all of baseball, Burriss hit .217/.268/.225 in 144 plate appearances earlier this season. He’ll likely be limited to pinch-running and defensive replacement duties.”

Unfortunately, unless the Giants sign or trade for an upgrade, he’s one of the (gulp) in-house options.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Well, Rennie’s only 60. Maybe he’s healed..

26. DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:54 pm

And who really expects Buster to catch 5-6 games a week? Not me.

• big flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Agreed. I want him playing 1b vs all lefties– been saying that for a month. Hoping hector is ready to catch but what if Boch renews his vows with Whitey?????

27. big flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Rowand finally got a deal—minor lg deal with Marlins. Giants save $480k if he makes their team—that’s R-Stenn dough, ain’t nothin to sneeze at…

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Didn’t he hit a game winning HR down there once? They must remember that….

28. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I haven’t seen any speculation anyhere that Eli is being considered for the back up. I doubt that Buster will play first againt all lefties anyway. 6 days catching? No. 5? I can definitely see that. If Eli makes the team I’ll send Craig some Ambrosia Salad..

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Back around 1975 as a naive eejit I felt so sorry for the Giants I wrote a letter to Bob Lurie, 3,125 miles away, with a check for $8 or whatever, to give a ticket to a one-eyed orphan or whatever, just to show support and help fill the stands. I am embarrassed to admit this — except insofar as it shows my psychotic love for this team. The team was not so embarrassed as to not cash the check, though. I think I got a gushing letter from Lurie, lost in the attic. The stuff we do when we are young. And when we are old, we do not get impressed with the likes of Emmanuel Burriss, even though we know we want to.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Thank you! I had a ball!

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

A few dollars more and you could have bid for the team.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm

You guys make me literally LOL. Notice how people misuse that word, as in “The world is literally her oyster.” [example from Meg Stapleton, spokesperson for Sarah Palin]. I learned that from this web log [remember that term?] entirely devoted to misuse of the word “literally.”

Kind of funny. Literally.

30. Alleykat said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm

One of the alltime worse blunder trades the Giants ever made (and yes theirs been many) was when they traded my man with the swagger and attitude Jack “The Ripper” Clark.For David whats my real age back in 85 .Giants totally got rear ended in that trade.Green ends up playing 90 games bats .248 5 bombs and a whopping 20 Rbis in 300 ABS.Clark goes off in StLouis asi knew he would,And Green was gone in 86 and out of baseball a couple years later.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Trading Dave Kingman at least made a bit more sense. Who was the outfielder we let go who became a strikeout or HR slugger for somebody in the Midwest, maybe the Brewers? Hit a ton of homers for someone else, Glenn Adams or something. He wasn’t very good but caused a stir for another club. Same dismal era.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Rob deer?
        I’m still waiting for one of you guys to nominate our first, BEST free agent signing. We know it wasn’t R-Stenn. Next?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm

You got it! That’s it, Rob Deer! Thanks, and good luck and best wishes on your medical situation, Twin. Just caught some of the posts above.

Dave Kingman. Manny Trillo. I cannot help thinking of this foggy bottom memory: shitfaced and freezing, May 1978, inaugural visit to Wrigley, sitting in bleachers after driving all night from Dayton w/ my brother and his friend, who comes running into our car after emptying the till from the Hess station where he worked, and somehow talking his way out of it when the cops came. Which made me the getaway driver. Anyway, in the bleachers at Wrigley, the Cubs fans — Cubs! — hurled the nastiest and most obscene insults at Kingman imaginable as he tried to play left. He had to have heard them. Obviously I wasn’t the only drunk there. And some nut case kept repeating, high-pitched and shrill, dozens of times, the name of the Cubs infielder: Trillo, who! Trillo, who! Trillo, whooot! Trillo, hoot! Over and over. That and callouts to Rick Monday, around the time of the flag incident: hey Monday, hey Monday hey Monday hey Monday hey Monday hey Monday hey Monday. When we took a stroll by the famous old-fashioned scoreboard, there were shady characters mumbling to each other. They were BETTING on every single pitch, maybe even parts of pitches!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Props to you, Magnus, on Rob Deer. (I mistakenly took you for Twin. Must adjust meds.)

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:01 pm

It hardly justified the rest of the deal, but they did get Jose Uribe in the trade.

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Jose Altagracia Gonzalez Uribe

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Giants could use Jose Uribe right now, that’s for sure…

31. Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm

We traded Deer to the Brewers for two guys named Dean Freeland and Eric Pilkington. Deer went on to hit 230 lifetime HR’s……..

32. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Well, he wasn’t the first but Brett Butler was one of the best

• SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Good call.

• Alleykat said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Loved Brett Butler Twin.He played with fire.Think he.s still manages the AZ DBacks AAA team up in Reno.Great Ballpark i might add.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Somewhere I have a small unique Brett Butler collectible item. Want it? I sent Flav the Will Clark version, and somebody else (I’m so shot) the Kevin Mitchell version.

33. Alleykat said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Well you cant top the best ever signing with Bonds back in 93 lnstant returns for years.Not the 1st but who cares.

34. SanDawg said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’ve said this before, but in my book the Giants have made both the best and the worst free-agent signings in the history of sports—and they were both named Barry.

Their first good free agent signing??? That IS a tough one. Was Von Joshua a free agent? I seriously think it was Barry Lamar. Maybe Milt May. “Venus de Milo” as some called him.

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:29 pm

tonight is the arb deadline, yes?

36. Alleykat said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Kevin Bass was a FA kinda of a poor man Randy Winn.

• willieD said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:10 pm

local kid too, from east side menlo park.

37. Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Twin’s throwing Brett Butler out there as our first *best* FA signing. 1988. I think I’d have to agree with you there. I also can’t seem to name any free agents before that other than R-Stenn and Manny Trillo.

38. Flavor said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

And CHUCK–as honored as I am that you bestowed the coveted POTD at ‘Forever on yours truly, I am feeling a little immodest that I’ve held the spot since December 4th. 🙂
    Good luck with the back thing, that sucks.

39. DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Not sure if he was first, but McCovey was signed as a FA on January 6, 1977…

40. twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Good night, all. I’m not getting an emergency MRI, she just upped the dilantin ( the anti- seizure med) and I’ll get the regular MRI next month. I’m not happy, everytime I’ve had a seizure, the tumor had grown. I’ll talk to one of the other doctors.

• ewisco said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm

vaya con dios twin.

• twinfan1 said, on December 12, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I shouldn’t have brought it up again, I’m sorry.

41. willieD said, on December 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

As far as Posey catching, run with that til he drops. The pitchers really do love the guy and the back ups f-ing suck (tho Sanchez looked OK in very limited action). As far as 1b, I’d leave Belt in there– if he’s gonna be a 500 AB regular, he has to learn how to hit LHP, which he can’t do from the end of the bench. Even so he’s a bigger threat than any back up C.. He should have enough pop to take something outside part of the plate deep to LCF.

42. zumie said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm

“The world is literally her oyster.”

That’s pretty funny.
    Speaking of quotes from the world of politics….I like this quote from Joe Scarborough: “If Newt Gingrich is the smartest person in the room….leave that room.”

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I like that one, Z. Nice.
      Newt’s also the family values candidate — if your family is into serial adultery…

43. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Theriot is available. Who would you prefer Burris or Theriot?

44. snarkk said, on December 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Shea reports:
    Of 12, El Presidente and Kepp are non-tendered. Burriss, et al in the 10 of 12 to get contract offers.
    No surprise there…

45. DJLoo said, on December 13, 2011 at 6:20 am

The 5 minute Giant (Paulino) was a NT…

46. […] DJLoo said, on December 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm (Edit) […]