A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Baseball Still Shrouded in Haiku, Football Looms

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 19, 2011

I am pretty excited about tonight’s Monday night game. I think I took it for granted during the Niners heyday when they were on Monday night so often. There’s just something about night football–the jersey’s are brighter, every play seems THAT important– pizza and Monday Night Football, bring it on.

I’m fairly pessimistic about the Niner’s chances of securing the #2 seed. Beating Pittsburg will be hard enough, then we’ve got 2 tough divisional games on the road. Seattle and the Rams are playing much better. In fact, I watched the Rams game yesterday and that team isn’t quitting a lick despite being out of the playoff picture. Meanwhile, the Saints play their remaining two games at home. We probably have to win all 3 games to keep the #2 seed. Unlikely…….

I’m tepid on the Amundson for Rush trade–mostly I just liked Amundson, it’s nothing against Rush. But RUsh seems to fit the player that Coach is looking for and I’ll back him until he proves he’s just as bad as all the other W coaches.

Retro Action>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

_________________________________________________________________

1981 is upon us-The Strike Year. Another bad season for the Giants and a black eye year for baseball. Here’s a rare high point for the team. It’s June 2nd, 1981 and the Reds are in town. Frank Robinson was at the helm and we destroyed a good Reds team 15-7. Soon-to-be Giant Mike LaCoss started for the Reds and got hammered, as did those who succeeded him. I don’t recall Cabell or Jerry Martin playing for us, but they did in 1981 and today they combined to go 5-10 with 5 runs scored and 6 RBI’s. Whitson went 5 innings for the win, Holland pitched the final 4 for a save that you just wouldn’t see these days…….

1. zumie said, on December 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

’81 was the season the Reds won the most games in the National League during the regular season, but MISSED the playoffs because of the Byzantine set-up of the strike season playoffs. Then the Dodgers ended up winning the World Series, and it was “Hello, Mr. Worst Case Scenario” for Giants fans.

2. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2011 at 9:57 am

Coincidence that the Tebow comments ended on 66? I think not. . .

Yeah, didn’t Montreal get equally screwed? Some shit like that. I remember Enos, but not Jerry Martin. Fricking LeMaster wouldn’t go away . . .

The Rams? They suck. Seattle will be a big game if the Niners can win tonight. The Niners need to really change their opening series defense. Get pressure up the middle FAST. Don’t let Worthlessberger dink and dunk to open the game. Which is what they are going to do. They are going to run delays as well. Grant has to play big big big tonight. He needs to provide pressure up the middle and contain the delays. With little ben immobile, the pressure HAS to come up the gut.

3. twinfan1 said, on December 19, 2011 at 11:43 am

Roethlisberger has been sacked 35 times, Alex 39. Presumably, Ben’s mobilty will be limited so we should be able to get to him- but unlike with Skelton last week, they have to wrap him up. Skelton killed them after escaping sacks and Roethlisberger is much more dangerous.

4. Alleykat said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I remember PENIS CABELL, he was a joke,terrible fielder,goofy stupid grin even after he butchered.an easy groundball.Couldnt stand that that guy.Turned into a big coke head later and was banned from baseball for the 86 season.Think we traded Bob Knepper for this idiot.

5. James said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

From the real deal:

When Enos Cabell was hot early in the year, you’d ask Sparky Anderson about him and Sparky would say “Enos Cabell is a we ballplayer. You don’t hear Enos Cabell saying ‘I did this’ and ‘I did that.'” I think that’s what drives me nuts about Sparky Anderson, that he’s so full of brown stuff that it just doesn’t seem like he has any words left over for a basic, fundamental understanding of the game. I want to look at a player on the basis of what, specifically, he can and cannot do to help you win a baseball game, but Sparky’s so full of “winners” and “discipline” and “we ballplayers” and self-consciously asinine theories about baseball that he seems to have no concept of how it is, mechanically, that baseball games are won and lost. I mean, I would never say that it was not important to have a team with a good attitude, but Christ, Sparky, there are millions of people in this country who have good attitudes, but there are only about 200 who can play a major-league brand of baseball, so which are you going to take? Sparky is so focused on all that attitude stuff that he looks at an Enos Cabell and he doesn’t even see that the man can’t play baseball. This we ballplayer, Sparky, can’t play first, can’t play third, can’t hit, can’t run and can’t throw. So who cares what his attitude is?

6. Alleykat said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Im not worried at all against the Steelers.A gimpy Ben, their all pro center Pouncy is out which is huge.And if Ben gets knocked out its Charlie Batch ,please!!!!!.49ers win.27 to 10.

7. Nipper said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Yeah I’m looking forward to a very solid winning effort by the Niners. Defense should really step-up big time.

8. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Right, Kat. I don’t think the game gets too out of hand. 2 TDs early. 2 FGs late. Niners 20-10 over the Steelers . . .

9. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm

The key is pressuring little ben early. Grant needs to step up.

10. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

The thing about those Reds teams was I hated seeing Foster jacking shit all over the park. We also used to heckle Ron Oester mercilessly. That little twit bugged the shit out of me. . .

“Oester was one of the few major leaguers who did not wear batting gloves. He perpetually developed blisters on his hands, and according to teammates, they would develop into deep wounds on his palms.”

I mean, really. catch a clue there, skippy.

11. James said, on December 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

While browsing the stats for the Great Tebow Tiff, I noticed that the Niner’s pass defense was closer to middle of the pack, even though they are #1 overall. It’s probably not at all supported by any stats, but it seems like that imbalance was always a hallmark of the teams that would get bounced in the playoffs during the glory years.

12. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

They are #1 in points allowed. They are 3rd in yards allowed. Better than they were early in the season.

12th in passing yardage. 1st against the run. Turnovers are off the chart. NO got away with this their SB run a couple years ago.

13. Alleykat said, on December 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Damm …I forgot James Harrison is out as well thanks to his helmet to helmet hit on Browns QB Colt McCoy last game.49ers roll big time!!

WTF.. Powers out at.the Old Stick, looks light a delay to start the.game.More time to stock the bar.

14. ewisco said, on December 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm

great win by the niners. aldon smith looking like a keeper (duh!). I activated the man-zone and put on the bus boys and good things started to happen. went to foghat and closed it out with montrose. mrs. w stayed in the family room. boys enjoyed the man-zone, especially hitting the heavy bag but not sure about the music.

15. ewisco said, on December 19, 2011 at 9:47 pm

did the power go out here as well?

16. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2011 at 10:13 pm

check out ninersfoverer.com

hyuk . . .

• ewisco said, on December 20, 2011 at 7:14 am

it’s blocked at work so i tend to forget about it. i’m sure it was rocking.

17. eddacker said, on December 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Great game for the lights out niners.
    Looks like it is time for me to jump on the bandwagon. 😀
    Congratulations all

18. Nipper said, on December 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Niners!

19. willieD said, on December 20, 2011 at 7:28 am

Tomlin’s decision to play Roth and leave him in the whole time raises a bunch of questions. First would be the difference in team effectiveness btw Roth at 50% vs. a back up guy, and the second would be the amount of risk of further and more significant injury to roth.
    Can’t help thinking about Young ranting on this on the post game, and recalling him on the sidelines when he was obviously dazed and confused and had to be held back for his own good. How much input can you give to the player involved on whether he is good to go or not?