A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Curse on the Warriors Continues and My Worst Baseball Memory

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 21, 2011

Yesterday was a hell of a day for the W’s, wasn’t it? Ellis gets caught up in an ugly sexual harassment suit and Curry goes down with a bad ankle injury. They’re calling that a sprain but I’m telling you, he’s gone a while. Luckily the team has Charles Jenkins and Ish Freaking Smith? I’ve never heard of *Ish Smith*, I had to look him up. His scouting report finished with this: “Best attribute? Guys like playing with him.” Wow, that’s some high praise. I’m sure that will translate well into success in the NBA……The Warriors are f**ked………

I’ve tried to take the time to pick the perfect *worst* memory I’ve got about baseball for Twin’s link to the right. It just never came to me. *My* worst baseball memory was probably being 12 years old and losing the PA City Championships after we only lost a single game in the regular season and everyone had expected us to walk to a City trophy. But my worst Giants memory? Hey, I can take a loss with the best of them. I can bellow out the cuss words. I shake my head violently and have been known to kick a thing or two (non-living of course). And I feel the sting of a loss for probably a full day afterwards. But then I let it go. I remember all the games that the guys have listed off in the link as *worst memory* but I just don’t have any feelings connected to them. It could be the great power of *denial*. It could also be that the World Series victory allowed me to let go of so much of the pain from past failures. I don’t know.

I still feel the pain of past 49er losses. The playoff game vs the Redskins in Jan of ’84 still makes my blood boil. Two phantom calls erased one of the great comebacks in playoff sports history. The Roger Craig fumble in the 1990 NFC Championship game vs the Giants has me doing a slow burn to this day. I see Roger Craig all the time around town, he struts around with a big smile and everyone wants to talk to him. Not me. I’ll never forgive him for that fumble…….

There are so many more games played than football games. A football game is magnified because there’s such a big build up to the game and so much time afterwards to lament the outcome (or celebrate it). Baseball games can tend to string together sometimes. And as crushing as a defeat feels in the moment, there’s always a new game with a new, more positive memory to take it’s place.

I think that’s why I don’t have a memory for Twin’s thread………

___________________________________________________________________________

Retro Game ‘o the Day………..

I’m skipping the rest of 1981. The strike year was dumb and isn’t worth our time. It’s opening day, April 13th, 1982. Alan Fowlkes is pitching for us against John Montefusco. That doesn’t seem right, does it? We traded the Count for Doyle Alexander, actually a decent trade if you just look at the single year Alexander pitched for us: 11-7, 2.89 ERA in the strike year. We turned around and flipped him to the Yankees for Andy McGaffigan. Whoops. He was not very good for us. Was it just me, or did the Giants make some spectacularly horrible trades in the early 80’s? Anyway, it was Fowlkes vs The Count today. We won 3-2. Minton relieved Fowlkes and went 3 innings for the save. Those were the days when a save was an earned save. I gotta admit, I like the first 6 spots of our line up……..

1. twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2011 at 8:47 am

“The Warriors are f**ked………”
    Hold on just a minute there-they’ve got Kwame..

2. gianthead said, on December 21, 2011 at 8:48 am

and to think that we could have traded him for Chris Paul…the Warriors are cursed! Larry Ellison should have been the owner!

Maybe we get to see more now of Klay Thompson at the two and Monta back to point, but this ankle will likely be an issue the rest of his career and they say that once you severely injure your ankle, it will never be the same again….

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That’s exactly what concerns me about Buster…

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I know. And I’ve been wondering loudly what the plan and the back up plan is for the coming year. You can’t just assume that a guy is just going to slide seamlessly back into the player he was after such a horrific injury. The Giants are being short sighted and, frankly, STUPID on how they are dealing with The Return of Buster in 2012……..

3. willieD said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:11 am

This is a recurring issue for Steph, so I guess he knows how to deal, but upsetting nonetheless in its frequency. Guys with ankle problems can go down at any time, it seems.
    ellis gets to take over, which doesn’t necessarily mean Ws score any less, but I don’t see how they get perimeter scoring except from Wright, and you don’t have near the ball movement. curry had a beautiful behind the back pass last night in traffic for a hoop. don’t know why Ws keep dumping off back up guys who can shoot like CJ Watson.
    Checked out F-G column on AZ signing of Kubel 2 yrs 15 million—writer says he is terrible on d and won’t bring much except from one side of the plate. AZ got a lot out of guys like Hill and Goldy late season, so we’ll see how they work out for a full year.

4. Big flavor said, on December 21, 2011 at 10:44 am

GH– Ellison being the owner wouldn’t have been any better, in fact it would have likely been worse. He knows nothing about basketball (unlike the new owners) and the current guys are spending as much as anyone would. I’m fine with the current ownership group–

5. James said, on December 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I remember dismissing Keth Foulke in part because of Allan Fowlkes. The K/IP ratio should have provided a clue on the former.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm

agreed. BUt *K rate*, along with most other underlying stats, were something that nobody bothered to look at in the 80’s……

• twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Are you saying Foulke had a good K/IP ratio or a bad one?

6. zumie said, on December 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I can’t see holding a grudge against Roger Craig. He did a lot of great things for the 49ers and their fans:

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm

no doubt Zumie, no doubt. But I just wasn’t ever able to let go of that fumble. At the time, my friends watching the game with me thought I was losing my mind, lol. When I see him now, I don’t see the guy who won all those SB’s and who was one of the greatest running backs in our history–I jsut see the guy who fumbled away the 1990 NFC Championship game. That’s just the way it is, I guess……….

7. Flavor said, on December 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Man, we haven’t even played a game yet and the W’s are already turning back into a soap opera. The team released a statement today that included this line: “When we were made aware of a consensual relationship between Mr. Ellis and the Plaintiff, we did what an organization should do. We told both to stop…”
    Um, you think Monta is gonna be cool with this? The team is covering their ass on this suit, I get it. But they just sold Monta out completely to a brutal divorce beating in court if his wife decides to go that route…….

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yes, that *was* a unique statement by the organization

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Dubs management already knows the situation with Monta and his wife, since she apparently went to management with the issue, and tried (succeeded?) getting the lady terminated. So, IMO the statement doesn’t violate any confidences or give Mrs. Monta any more ammo than she has already. Monta is deep in the marital doghouse, regardless. Why anybody would send jpegs of their “junk” to anyone over the Web, especially their mistresses or wanna-be mistresses,is the question. With this and the scooter incident, Monta is proving quite the doofus. Time soon for Monta and the Dubs to cut checks to the lady, and move on…

• Alleykat said, on December 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Agree Snarkk…Monta is not the sharpest tool in the shed

Thought on Buster…After that hit he took you know it the back of his mind he will probably not be as agressive on close contact plays this year.Any chance we could have Whitey all suited up run to home plate as Posey runs to the dugout on a basehit so Whitey can take the missle hit at home plate instead of Buster?

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Allan Fowlkes is a rare commodity in that he starts Opening Day and — poof! — that’s the top of the mountain for him. Sort of like Jensen Lewis, is that his name? Won a game in the ’02 WS and then evaporates.

I’m just amazed at how Roger Craig made seamless transitions from Dodger pitcher to Mets losing pitcher to Giants’ manager and forkball specialist to NFL player. You don’t see that often.

Wait a sec–

• Big flavor said, on December 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Pawlie– I wondered about the Fowlkes OD start too–still haven’t bothered to look up his stats or to see just how the hell he scored that start…
      I vaguely recall Brett Tomko starting OD for the reds years ago– it must’ve been against the Giants, otherwise how would I recall that?

9. twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Link to the right on how far you think the 49ers will go in the playoffs…

• Nipper said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm

All the way!

10. unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, I’m still pissed about the Skins playoff loss, as those 2 penalties were horrific calls.

And after the fumble in the Giants game, I broke the world record for lawn chair toss (about 400′ down a hill). Yeah, that was a major league pisser. I don’t begrudge Craig the fumble. It happens. Ask the Cleveland Browns. What I’ll never forgive Craig for is blaming it on Guy McIntyre.

• Nipper said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Chuck pissed off…..news at Eleven!

11. unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:25 pm

That 1983 team, and the one that won it all the next year was up there with the best teams of all time.

12. DJLoo said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm

How do you Niner fans feel about Candlestick?

• Nipper said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm

It’s a dump!

• unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm

It’s a shit-hole, but it’s our shit-hole.

The problem with them moving to Santa Clara is the likely tripling of ticket prices and parking.

What the the cheapest tickets at the Paean to Jerry Jones’ Ego that is Cowboys Stadium?

$125.00? I really have no idea, but the fallout of these gleaming new stadiums are their prohibitive ticket prices.

• Nipper said, on December 21, 2011 at 9:55 pm

“It’s a shit-hole, but it’s our shit-hole”……..Chuck looking around his living room.

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2011 at 7:00 am

I will gladly pay it. I don’t go to Niner games anymore mostly because the pub trans sucks and if you drive it’s 1-2 hours to get outta there. Plus, Santa Clara is but a stone’s throw away from mi casa (well, maybe more than a stone’s throw. It’s closer than Candlestick). I’d pony up for a game or two a year, especially year 1, even if it’s just for the novelty of it all……..

13. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2011 at 9:55 am

Shit, I can get in and out fo there in 1/2 an hour. Ya gotta know where to park. It was also the best reason to drive a beater car back in the day. park on Geneva St. for free and walk under the freeway. The bus ain’t that bad, if not a little lengthy. There used to be a shitload of bars in San Mateo that would do bus/ticket thangs for cheap. Don’t know if that still goes on, but that was always the way to go . . .