A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Baseball News

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 4, 2012

Well, there still isn’t much. Aubry Huff says he’s *ripped* and is ready to go for 2012. Personally, if he’s *peaking* I would prefer to hear about that in late March, not January 3rd. But whatever, I guess this is a good thing–Still, I might like to see a before and after picture— this isn’t some “Pablo-self-reclamation” project. If true, and Huff pissed away last year by personal neglect of his body, then we’re basically paying him 22 million for this upcoming single season. And I also don’t really buy that this is all about re-committing pilates back into your life. That just sounds too simple, we’re talking about an hour a day three times a week. Start doing that again and you’re back in black? Color me skeptical…….

The A’s signed Coco Crisp, basically to avoid penalties for not staying AT LEAST at a 40 million payroll budget floor. Boy, nothing says “We’re trying to win” like a front office going all out to narrowly avoid falling on the wrong side of the payroll budget floor. Seriously though, I do understand Beane’s approach to all of this and this *white flag* is their final attempt to move the team out of Oakland…..

Coco’s deal include’s $250,000 for his troubles WHEN he is traded…….

___________________________________________________________________________

Retro Action

It’s Sunday, April 17th 1983 and the Reds are in town. Someone named “Mark Calvert” is starting for us. It did not go well. : 0 innings pitched and 4 runs before Renie Martin came in to stop the bleeding. Renie couldn’t get out of the first inning either (he did get 2 outs) so Mike Chris (who?) was called on to finally finish off the Reds in the first inning but not before they scored 9(!). Frank Pastore went into cruise control and we lost 12-3 in front of 37,094 fans who were all bummed they didn’t find a better way to spend their Sunday afternoon……

1. dirtnrocksnreno said, on January 4, 2012 at 8:19 am

I can see Pilates having helped Huff stay fit and flexible through the grind of the season. What I don’t get us a pro athlete finding something that they think worked for them and completely abandoning the routine.

2. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 8:56 am

Well, it would explain his on-again off-again success. Just think, eat donuts and slack off for a year, get paid. The next year, get yer ass in shape and play well, get paid. Rinse and repeat as needed . . .

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 8:57 am

Given the fact that he won a ring in 2010 gives him even more incentive to coast for a year . . .

• Nipper said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:41 am

Man I can go for a donut. Perhaps two. Chocolate and sugar would be nice.

3. willieD said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

Huff obviously has a lot to prove, not just to Bochy but to the entire league. His up/down career has to give teams pause to laying out bucks for him; his suckitude in detroit is the only reason he was so available to SF to begin with. Maybe the pressure from Belt and Pill is a good thing.
    $14 mill for 2 yrs of coco, but you don’t want to pay willingham, gio or bailey? Don’t get any of that, esp since all of the above were apparently happy to stay where they were. Tarpland A’s, indeed.

4. twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

comment removed by Big Flavor

• big flavor said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:15 am

I gotta say, I coulda gone at least one more thread without reading that again 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

Flav, pull Mike’s reposting of my post then.

I warned you not to google it, and you screwed that up, Mike. Then you repost it on another thread and tell ME it shouild be removed?

Weird. What’s your deal?

5. twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:18 am

comment removed by Big Flavor

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Right. let’s shut down the internet for indecency, Mike. The Tailpipe Teddy photo is in such good taste.

As is the dog autopsy photo you posted. Or whatever it was.

Get real, skippy.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

Ask Flav. It’s his blog.

6. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:20 am

Even more shocking is 37,000 fans showed up. I mean, that wasn’t the big red machine of the 70s. And we certainly weren’t loaded with talent . . .

I remember Mark Calvert. Barely. Spot starter? Chris is another vague memory.

7. St said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

Metaphorically speaking, I’m willing to throw out Huff’s last race. Everyone but Pablo struggled. Maybe mental, maybe the euphoria of the WS, the added attention, teams gunning for them. Maybe some of it was conditioning. Then when Buster went down, he really began to press.

One caveat is if Belt and Nate come out smoking and Huff is slow to get untracked, he might have to adjust coming off the bench.

• ChiPower said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Huff said it was more a mental thing than physical. From the article in the Chron:
      “I don’t think I was that out of shape. I was just so mentally in the toilet. I just never turned it around. It just kept snowballing.”

I don’t see it as big news…let’s put it all behind us, and hope like hell that EVERY Giants is focused on being in the best mental and physical shape possible for the upcoming season. Giddy Up…let’s play some ball!

FORTY FIVE days until pitchers and catchers report! (I’m using February 18th as the report date even though I have yet to see an official report date for Los Gigantes.)

8. Macdog said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Here’s some good news, especially for Bochy: “Joe Torre resigned Wednesday as Major League Baseball’s executive vice president for baseball operations to join a group trying to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers.” Now maybe there can be some real progress on the issue of catchers being vulnerable to cheap-shot punks like Cousins, as long as the replacement isn’t a neanderthal like Torre.

9. gianthead said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

Was this retro game the band end of a double header??? it is oddly familiar.

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

sorry back end of a double header? It may have been the next season I am thinking of. Hack-Man cranked a homer in Game 1 (one of the longest I had seen hit to left at Candlestick) and then they got blown out in Game 2, so after a dreadful first inning (that is why this game sends me a reminder) we got away from our freezing cold seats in the lower deck down the first base line and went up to the upper deck in CF to get some sun.

First time I had ever sat that far from the field and that Candelstick exoperience of everything looking liek ants on a field from that distance.

After the game, waiting for my parents to pick us up, we tried to snag autographs at the players parking lot (amazing that at that time, you could walk right up to their cars and Venable heads to his beat up old VW Beetle.) The highlight was getting up to Chili Davis and when my buddy could not find his picture in that day’s program, Chil tells him “Then you are up shit creek!” Classic childhood memory. I could still see my buddy bust out a laugh when Chili says that…

10. twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

As I said, I can have it taken care of. I’m sending you an E-Mail later, Chuck. Follow the instructions… if you’re not busy cooking up some more of that meatloaf you love so much…

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:48 am

I already sent you one, Mike.

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

It’s empty-trying to send a virus?

11. big flavor said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

MacDog— I saw that. Good riddance to Torre. He wasn’t doing shit at his mlb job. Maybe the next guy will take the time to send a potential rule change to the rules committee regarding catchers safety.
    Twin and Chuck— I spent 2 minutes of my life removing some of your posts. That’s 1 minute 58 seconds longer than I want to spend on it the rest of the day…..

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:01 am

Listen up-this was all on Chuckles- unless you think accusing another poster of the disgusting crap is OK. You should have taken care of it when he posted that disgusting “definition” and you wouldn’t have had any more to delete.

12. twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

Now it went through, the E-Mail thing a little tricky? I’ve given you choices- keep it private or you’ll get one choice.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

Right Mike. It’ll be in the mail . . .

Guys (and FH, if you are out there), it has been fun, but I’m out . . .

13. gianthead said, on January 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

OK, the this is the first batch of my 12,000 2012 postings to claim first place….

Interesting to get the gropp’s takes on the Padres signing Carlos Quentin. As you all remember, he was the one guy I wanted to get and was willing to deal J. Sanchez for him. Now it looks like it would have taken less to get him. But if we could turn the clock back a couple of weeks and the Giants knew they had the deal for Pagan on the table, wouldn’t a deal for Quentin been a better option that adding Melky Cabrera?

Discuss…I think our lineup would have been more functional:

1) Pagan – CF
    2) Franchez – 2B
    3) Panda – 3B
    4) Posey – C
    5) Quentin – LF
    6) Huff/Belt – 1B
    7) Nate – RF
    8) Crawford – SS

• big flavor said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

GH– I’m one of the few who’s on record as liking the Pagan/Melky duo at the top of the LU. I loved CQ when he was at Stanford but he’s just had way too many injuries all over his body to be effective for an entire season……

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:56 am

Which why he went cheaper than I had thought. I still think he may be an interesting 2013 free agent option once the Rowand and Huff contracts are off the books…I will assume playing in SD his numbers will be medicore possibly keeping him to a small free agent contract with limited years…

• ChiPower said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I agree…I like his numbers…when he is healthy. Too many injury problems.

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

Didn’t you want Brignac? Or was that someone else?

• St said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

Assuming the White Sox would have wanted Dirrty.

14. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

Absolutely agree with what dirtnrocksnreno said about Pilates. I work out 5 days a week (not bragging, but I won a body contest 14 years ago and I am familiar with most exercise regimens) and Pilates is one of the most difficult (but simple) exercise conditioning routines to master.

Basically there are 6 Pilates Principles: Centering, Control, Flow, Breath, Precision, and Concentration. The Pilates method has always emphasized quality over quantity, and you’ll find that, unlike many systems of exercise, Pilates exercises do not include a lot of repetitions for each move. Instead, doing each exercise fully, with precision, yields significant results in a shorter time than one would ever imagine.

In fact, the first time I attempted Pilates (about 30 years ago), I was pissed off that the instructor was 15 minutes late for our hour class . . . Fast forward a half hour into the class, I was figuratively a “wet noodle” . . . totally spent. My ab muscles were burning where I could barely get through the rest of the class. Yeah, it got better, but Pilates is one of the best workouts if you want to build flexibility and long, lean muscles, strength and endurance in the legs, abdominals, arms, hips, and back.

If Huff is doing Pilates, he will yield great results.

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

Afetr that description, please mark me down for the “No Fucking Way am I doing Pilates!” List

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

Let’s hope he’s cutting out/down the Winstons, or whatever is his butt of choice — maybe he can go first to third this season without getting an inhaler from Flannery…

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:17 am

So that smoking didn’t hurt him in 2010 then kicked in last year…

• twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

As one who didn’t stop smoking until I had a lobe removed, I’m hardly a proponent of smoking. But I’m unaware of tobacco use symptoms that only manifest themselves every other year..

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:13 am

Great post, Blade. I haven’t done Pilates myself but my wife does regularly and the results are amazing. I have heard that the regimin started as physical therapy for people that have had tramatic body injuries and evolved from there. German dude I think.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:32 am

Dirt, yes, his first name was Joseph (Pilates) and he developed it in the early 20th century. I hate to admit it, but after that first experience, I gave it up for about 10 years, then incorporated some of the exercises into my anaerobic (weights) and aerobic routine I do now.

Your wife knows that Pilates is probably the best (or near best) exercise for your core . . . everything flows from your core.

• TedSpe said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

Everything flows from your core? That’s deep, man.

• ChiPower said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Agree, Blade. I have done pilates off and on over the years. I remember last year going to a class here at work (after having not done any pilates for a couple of years). I was actively doing aerobics and weight stuff five days a week, and also practicing internal Chinese martial arts. So, I saw myself as being in pretty good shape…let’s just say the class kicked my ass!

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Also, one other thing I didn’t admit Chi . . . Just about everyone in the class was FEMALE . . . Humiliation complete.

15. Alleykat said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:10 am

Renie Martin sucked as a pitcher,but he was a great hitter with a lifetime .300 avg.Giants used him to PH alot.

16. Nipper said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:23 am

All Flappers should start a physical regimen post haste too. Less BLEEPS and more SWEAT!

17. Alleykat said, on January 4, 2012 at 11:44 am

My Pilates workout is opening up the fridge grabbing a cold beer and working my elbow,beer to mouth.AHH!!!!

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on January 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Formally known as 12 ounce curls.

• ChiPower said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I do the 12 oz. curl regularly, too. I particularly love the IPA curls, but am also known to do a few Belgian curls (triples, quads), too.

• TedSpe said, on January 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I realize Johnny Depp is very popular right now but in truth Robert Newton will always be my favorite pilate.

18. zumie said, on January 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Little did those Giants in the ’83 retro boxscore know that several of them would be wearing World Series rings someday. Two of the guys after the next season.

19. ChiPower said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Slow day in sports. Here is something pass some time…”15 Hottest Baseball Wives on the Planet.”

20. Bozo said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

All I can say today is “comment removed by Big Flavor”.
    Thank you all for listening.
    Bring on ST, the Flap is getting restless!

• ChiPower said, on January 4, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I second the bring on ST. Cannot come soon enough! I like the NFL, and am following the bowl games, as I am in a pool with some coin on the line…also dig following the Sharks…but all pale in comparison to baseball!

• Bozo said, on January 4, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Chi – I’m very much into the Niners but Hockey and Bball not so much. I think my sports thing goes, Giants, Niners, baseball (any level), Football (pro), March Madness and bowl games. For me, some things get bumped up the list or I get interested in other sports if I’ve got any money riding on them. These days betting doesn’t happen too much so it’s pretty much set.
        Cheers man, good to see ya back.

21. St said, on January 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm

W’s up on the Spurs, but Curry hurts his ankle again.

22. twinfan1 said, on January 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm

And that cost them..good effort

23. Alleykat said, on January 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm

So is Currys ankle even attached to his foot anymore?Criminy it will never end with this injury.

24. willieD said, on January 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Another ad of all those gals in pilates class–quite a lot of time spent on back with legs in the air. Most of the ones I was in class with were pretty nice to look at. Looks like simple movements, but very deceiving.
    GH, another issue for SF besides his health would have been where do you play Q, who is not a very good OF at all. He’s basically limited to LF, where SF has a bunch of guys already. And unfortunately for him he’s leaving a hitters park in warm weather for SD, where fly balls mostly go to die.