A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Is Landon Powell a Fit With the Giants?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 6, 2012

After clearing waivers this week, it’s entirely likely that Powell will be headed back to the minors in the A’s system. If you’re the Giants and if you’re Powell, doesn’t it make a little sense to at least look at each other for a song or two? To be clear, I am not a huge *Landon Powell* fan. Outside of his immediate family and friends, I doubt too many people are. But we are the team that is scheduled to have either Eli Whiteside or Chris Stewart backing up Buster Posey. We are not in a position to turn away anyone asking us to dance…….

Powell at least has a little pedigree. He was an outstanding catcher for the University of South Carolina. He was drafted by the A’s in 2004 in the 1st round of the amateur draft. He’s thrown out nearly 40% of runner in his big league career, an excellent number.

He hasn’t really ever been able to hit up here…….

Or down there……

He was ok in double A in 2007 hitting .292 and he hit 15 bombs in 2008 in AAA in 300 at bats.

The last 3 seasons have been underwhelming……….

But Jesus Christ, all of that dominates the stat line careers of Whiteside and Stewart! If you had to pick one of the 3 to back up Posey who would you pick?

_________________________________________________________

Retro Game of the Day!

It’s June 1, 1983– Wednesday night game. 10K showed up to see Tom Seaver pitch. I gotta tell ya, I’m unimpressed with the turn out for these games against epic, hall of fame pitchers. Hammaker pitched a pearl and The Ripper hit a bomb to lead us to a 4-2 victory for our 4th straight victory. We are 27-21 on June 1st, 1983.

1. dirtnrocksnreno said, on January 6, 2012 at 6:59 am

E) Chris Stewart

2. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 7:33 am

Thought it was.Chris Stewart but who really gives a Rats Ass.

• Nipper said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

Yeah!

3. big flavor said, on January 6, 2012 at 7:50 am

thanks. Not sure why I was thinking Snyder but he would be another guy I prefer over those 2. I changed it in the thread and in the poll but I think it takes a while to update in the poll……

4. zumie said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

Congrats to Keith Smart for a victory in his first game as headcoach of the Kings, even if it had to take a miraculous comeback at home against a shoddy Bucks team. The Bucks did a grand giveaway. They were doing stuff in the 4th quarter that Willie wouldn’t tolerate on his youth teams. I still can’t believe what I saw (to paraphrase Jack Buck.) No wonder guys like Stephen Jackson and Drew Gooden get traded a million times. They have some talent, but they are BRUTAL.

5. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

Regardless of what is said now, Hector still could be the back up.

6. willieD said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

If I were a guy like Landon Powell, I’d jump at the chance to work with a staff like SF has plus Rags, and play in a full house with a contender, as opposed to what he has been through previously. The back up C is just there to work with the pitchers and give the full time guy a day off, and any offense is a bonus. I’d give him a thumbs up compared to what we had last year.
    I watched the Furd-Oregon game, and thought Dawkins got out coached by a more seasoned vet guy Altman. His Gs didn’t get Owens the ball enough in second half and took too many perimeter shots that result in transition baskets because of Oregon team speed. I thought he took Owens out too soon when he got the third foul and could have gone zone D himself without him in there, because his other bigs suck at that end of the court, and his Gs were getting beat off the dribble too.
    I still don’t think Dawkins has enough talent to really contend, and I don’t understand what happened to that D. Powell guy, who does some great things alongside some really dumb stuff.

7. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:04 am

Screw Hector….If the Giants are rushing their catchers up threw,like Sanchez with his 40 games at AAA they might as well give Tommy Joseph a long hard look in ST.He is far better then Sanchez.

• Nipper said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:35 am

Please no!

8. St said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:17 am

Not concerned in the least about the BUC. Fine with Stew unitl Hector arrrives. (Joseph needs to play if he’s a better prospect.
    Stewart has the arm, can run, bunt, knows the staff, they seem comfortable with him and he comes cheap. If they had to save a few million here and there, BUC was one area to do that.

• Nipper said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

Only the BEAT guys worry about the BUC…..and the type of white wine at the Coliseum.

9. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

Tommy isn’t close to ready. Hector destroyed the VWL- he’ll be given a shot to make it this year, Joseph won’t.
    Joseph will probably end up a first baseman anyway..

• Nipper said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

I pine for the DH. Someday……

10. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

I spotlighted both Tommy and Hector in my prospects feature last year, that’s probably how Kat ever heard of them. Tommy is considered the best power prospect in the system, not does not make him the better catching prospect. But as ST says- he needs to play every day, regardless of where he eventually plays. Right now we’re discussing the backup catcher for this year, Tommy isn’t and shouldn’t be in that discussion..

• St said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

Yeah, nice power numbers at Augusta and SJ, but he’s only 2 yrs removed from High School.

11. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh gee Twin ive never heard of Joseph really? Never heard of Andrew Susac either I guess.Guess he will be another 1st basemen too.

12. big flavor said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hector could easily be the back up, I agree. I should have included him in the poll but I got distracted with my orange back stop net thing from the 70’s.
    Powell will make $650,000 this year if he makes a major league team—I think that’s the exact amount that Whitey makes if he makes the squad…..

• St said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

Flavor, yeah Powell is cheap, too. I was referring to other FA’s who have been mentioned, such as Snyder (3 yrs 13m), Doumit (3 yrs 11m), Paulino…

I’m not concerned because if Posey goes down again, they are screwed anyway. A marginally better backup isn’t going to fill the void.

13. St said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

With Posey and Sanchez, Joseph could be valuable trade bait in a yr if he continues to show promise.

14. big flavor said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:05 am

and for those of you who aren’t concerned about who the back up catcher is, you should be. An ankle is a tricky thing. Ask Steph Curry. Or Kendry Morales for the Angels who’s missed 2 full seasons with a bad ankle/lower leg.
    And it’s unlikely that the Giants play him more than 100 games or so at catcher, he should get a bunch of starts at first base. We need a competent back stop in 2012…..

• Nipper said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

Stew is the man!

• St said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

Might as well worry about a backup 3b. Pablo goes down, it’s a huge drop to Fontenot.

15. TedSpe said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

Orange net back stop from the ’70’s. Too funny

16. Bozo said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

That 70s orange back stop net has as many holes as Eli’s swing.

Hey Twin, is it true Vern and Vera love the Fresno Walmart so much that Vern is applying for the greeter job?

• Nipper said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

You have to smile and mean it.

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:50 am

I think it was Eli who applied for the job..

17. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

Tommy had ungodly numbers at the SJ the first month, then went feet up until the last month or so when he got hot again- he’ll need to become much more consistent- but he’s just a kid. Whether Hector shows he’s capable of catching every day, or whether it’s Tommy, or even Alex Berg, or Susac ( who hasn’t played yet) , it’s kinda up to Buster if any get a shot at the everyday job-so, yeah, Kat, anyone of them could have a different position in their future….

18. ChiPower said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

I am good with Stewart until Hector proves he is ready (he did have a decent run in winter ball…but that IS winter ball). Powell…hell no.

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

The VWL is a much tougher hitter’s league than the AFL ( he was second in BA, and at least top 5 in the other stats, in a league that had 9 guys over .300 ). By contrast, the AFL had 25 hitters over .300.

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

Even he hit only as well as in his call up, he’s worlds better than the other two. Baggs thinks they should carry three catchers, BTW. That would make the bench Stewart, Sanchez, Font, Burriss,and Belt or Nate, whoever of the two doesn’t start. That leaves Pill out, so it could get down to him making them go with just 2 catchers.

• ChiPower said, on January 6, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yep Twin…I was being somewhat facetious about the Venzuelean league, and was aware the Hector tore it up.

I also have heard that the G-men may break with 3 catchers, and I would think Hector would be one of the three. ST should help shake that out.

And your numbers…that is assuming 12 on the pitching staff, correct?

If so, yes…Belt or Nate…and Pill would be out. Agian…ST should help shake much of this out.

19. St said, on January 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

I would think they have to carry Pill for some RH power. Gone are Ross, Rowand and Burrell.

• big flavor said, on January 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

agreed– they would have next to nothing in terms of right handed power off the bench

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 12:06 pm

As I said, Pill would have to force the issue. His handful of ABs last year hardly prove the scouting reports wrong about him. Personally, I would keep him and Hector, and release Stewart. At least give him the chance to prove a few dozen scouting reports wrong. I was pointing out the numbers if Baggs is right about keeping 3 catchers. A better solution is getting Ross back and canning Stewart AND Pill..

20. SanDawg said, on January 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

I was so fired up when my dad got me a “Pitch-back” when I was a kid. For me anyway, it wasn’t nearly as cool as I thought it was gonna be. You had to stay pretty close to it and the ball was right back at you in a hurry. There’s something about the rhythm of a game of catch with another guy that the pitchback couldn’t duplicate for me. To this day, I’ll drop damn near anything, anytime to play catch. My kids know this too. Around homework time they will often suggest we throw the ball around the backyard. I usually go along with it even though I know they’re just stalling their homework. “I know I’m being used–it’s ok man cuz I like the abuse”

• unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 11:58 am

Just wait til your kids are drunk again and looking to score . . .

• SanDawg said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

…we do both have kids at SFSU, so that line might be in play as well!

• big flavor said, on January 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I had a feeling you would remember the pitch-back well

• ChiPower said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Dawg – LMAO…I remember the Pitch Back…had one, too. And, you are right…it in no way compares to playing catch with someone. I did like sitting mine up at about 90 degrees so that when you threw into it, you got a hard grounder back (playing SS and 2B you could never get enough practice with ground balls).

21. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Geez cant we bring Ryan Garko back for a few laughs?

22. big flavor said, on January 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Cody Ross is still around? I thought be signed with Colorado–not paying much attention to that, I guess. He has misjudged the market for his services…….

23. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Rather have Jason Varitek for 40 games behind the dish and PH then a full season of the 2 headed cyclops team of Whitey and Stewart.

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm

You are not getting Whitey *and* Stewart so don’t worry about it..

24. blade3colorado said, on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Forty two posts and none of you have convinced me that the “orange net back stop from the ’70’s” can be displaced as Posey’s backup.

25. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Forgotten by everyone in the ongoing obsession with Stewart and Whitey is they don’t really know yet if Buster can catch at all any more. Or play at a high level at any position. And it OBVIOUSLY makes sense to see him in camp before any real decisions are made on his and the rest of the catchers’
    status.

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hector could end up the *starting* catcher, hell Kat could still get Varitek…

• ChiPower said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Once again Twin you caught us all with our pants down. You are absolutely correct…no guarantees Buster will fill the bill. He did do some bullpen sessions in the AFL…but that does not go anywhere near proving he can be our starting backstop and 4 hitter.

• snarkk said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm

My pants are still on.
        I’ve been saying for months that there’s no guarantees on Posey with such a significant injury…

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Snarkkles, it goes without saying that Chi meant everyone but you…

• DJLoo said, on January 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Broken ankles in baseball always remind me of Tommy Davis who was never the same afterwards…

• Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Neither was it good for James Caan in “Misery” Loo.Still cringe watching Kathy Bates with her sledgehammer.

• unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm

In the bokk she used an axe . . .

• unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

book, that is . . .

• blade3colorado said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Weird, but I will go out of my way to buy a Dean Koontz novel, bu rarely Stephen King . . . even though every book I’ve read of his (King), I’ve liked . . . Yep, that was a good one Chuck.

• unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Funny, I’m the opposite. Koontz just gets too cute for me. His earlier stuff I liked, but the later stuff? Ehhhh.

I think ‘Intensity’as the last thing I read of his. . .

26. St said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Gee, some pretty doomerish forecasting here lately. Posey may never be the same, Freddie won’t make it through the year, Tim’s arm is due to go south in a yr or so … See TJ surgery for Wilson?

• ChiPower said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I think the natives are just restless in anticipation of the start of ST.

While some may seem as “doomer views” much is true (no one truly knows if Buster will ever be the same).

Wilson has already had one TJ surgery…

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm

The diff with a true doomer, they think all the negatives will come to pass. I actually think they’ll be good enough offensively, the starting pitching concerns me. If Vogelsong doesn’t at least approximate last year, we’ve got a big three- the #5 starter may be no BFD, you need at least 4 good ones with what will be a MOR offense.

• TedSpe said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Don’t forget Sandoval’s hernia

• St said, on January 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

uh oh. We’re doomed!

• unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Or his lasik surgery , , ,

27. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm

How long did Foster play for the Mets? I don.t remember him there. Then again, I don;t remember Jose FUCKING Oquendo playing there either.

• Alleykat said, on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Chucky….Foster played forever mostly did his damage with the Big Red machine.Played later for the Mets and was still productive.
      Another fantastic trade by the Giants.They probably thought they were getting.Frank Thomas buy it was actually just the middle name of Frank Thomas Duffy.Oh well.shit happens

28. willieD said, on January 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Only reason I wouldn’t rather see Hector is not enough PT if Posey is good to go. Let him stay down for a while, C different guys in different leagues and play in different parks, and learn the job, from Decker if need be.
    I’m totally against Posey at 1b, for a number of reasons. One, he likes it, is good at it, and the PS loves him. Two, for a 1b his numbers are very avg., while for a C he is a significant upgrade over all but a couple players. Three, SF is already over loaded at that position, so even if Posey started, the guy he would replace is probably a better hitter than who would now be in the LU at C.
    Four, playing 1b for 9 innings is NOT a day off. If Posey needs to rest, then give him the whole game on the bench, where he can help out the C and be available to PH. Five, even vs. tough lefties Belt needs to play if he is ever going to be the potential big bat 25/80 plus guy. Sure he might look silly, but so did Ryan Howard and James Loney when they faced SF pitching. Leave him in there and let him figure it out.

• twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Lots of good points but I don’t see one justifying carrying a back up catcher who cannot hit AT ALL…

• snarkk said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Playing 1B for 9 frames is way easier on the ankle than squatting all that time on it behind the dish…

29. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I doubt we’ve made any more bad trades than anyone else, but with our healthy lifestlyes and favorable weather, we live longer and remember a bad trade for 7 or 8 decades or more.

30. DJLoo said, on January 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m still trying to digest Manny Mota & Dick LeMay for Joey Amalfitano…

• unca chuck said, on January 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I’m still pissed about Perry for McDowell.

• willieD said, on January 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Manny Mota hit .352 one year for the Pirates. Incredible card in strat-o-matic baseball, hits all over it.

31. twinfan1 said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Well, we got Boof back so that evens out the Nathan/Liriano trade..

32. snarkk said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Fer kreissakes, is it that hard to get a backup catcher that can actually hit .220?
    Get a guy that can hit. The pitching staff can get used to a C fairly quickly, it’s a veteran staff. Keeping Whiteside or even Stewie and basically giving up an out every time one them bats bat is freekin ridiculous — AGAIN…

• Alleykat said, on January 7, 2012 at 8:26 am

Touche Snarkk….Been sayin all along Varitek would be a perfect fit with his experience ,an easy transition to are Stud staff.

33. blade3colorado said, on January 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Took me a couple of Google searches, but I found the tabletop baseball game I use to play with friends (usually during sleepovers) . . . http://baseballgames.dreamhosters.com/CadacoASB.htm

As described on the website, “it was called “All Star Baseball” and the players playing records were on disks — small circular cardboard pie-charts that reflected on-field performance. Disks for sluggers like Mel Ott and Johnny Mize had proportionately larger wedges for home runs, for example, disks for slap hitters like Arky Vaughan larger wedges for singles and triples, and so on. Two “strategy” disks enabled bunts, base stealing,
    and hit-and-run plays. The “K-P” (later “K-O”) dials were introduced in 1955, adding a second spin for
    fielding plays.”

Damn, that game was fun . . . I still recall the sliver size wedge that the Matty Alou disk had for homeruns. Why? Simply because I defied the astronomical odds and hit that HR wedge frequently . . . 😉

• zumie said, on January 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I had one of those. It was bought at a yard sale. The one I had was the old old timers. Babe Ruth, etc. I learned about a lot of players I never would have learned about. For example, Harry Heilman was a hitting machine!
      The game was a blast. We played it all summer until the spinners fell off.