A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Straight to The RGOTD!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 7, 2012

Very little in the Giants world to discuss right now so……..

I was surprised to see our record was 27-21 on June 1st, 1983 as I remember that year to be a downer. Turns out 6 games over .500 was the best we’d do that year. Today’s game was a couple of weeks later on June 16th– only 7,879 showed up on this cold, drizzly, foggy (I’m just guessing) Thursday night. Hey, if the fans aren’t going to turn out to see hall of famers like Jenkins and Seaver they certainly aren’t going to show up to see Mike Scott v Bill Laskey (Scott didn’t get good until a couple of years later). Kind of a boring game, we lost 7-2.

I was also surprised to see Milt May’s name as our starting catcher. I have very little recollection of him and yet he played with us for 4 seasons. Catchers are the kind of guys you remember—Sadek, Brenly, Manwaring—guys who don’t do that much in the stat sheet but they are hard to forget. Except Milt May. He barely rings a bell to me…….

1. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

There’s a link to the right for a piece on The Thrill and the HOF.

2. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Flav, I believe you and I are on the same four ponies this Wild Card Weekend.
    Proceed with caution when it comes to your pocketbook.

I had to look it up, but LeMaster had his “best” numbers when he bat leadoff. Who knew?
    I was going to crack wise and say Johnnie would be our best option this year, but Pagan has a career .809 OPS batting first. I think we’d all take that and say thank you very much this year…

3. zumie said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Wow- Garner batting cleanup. That’s rough.

4. Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Well Dennis, my last 6 posted football games have all hit so either you are a out to go on a hot streak or it’s all gonna fall apart for me

5. blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Twin, I didn’t want to post this on your Will Clark page because most of it is about the other nominees and I didn’t want to “muddy” up what you asked specifically . . .

No way Clark should be in (that’s why he missed the 5% threshold . . . a ridiculously low bar). This year I want Barry Larkin to go in . . .

Career statistics
    Batting average .295
    Home runs 198
    Hits 2,340
    Runs batted in 960
    Stolen bases 379

12× All-Star (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004)
    World Series champion (1990)
    3× Gold Glove Award winner (1994, 1995, 1996)
    9× Silver Slugger Award winner (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999)
    1995 NL MVP
    1993 Roberto Clemente Award
    1994 Lou Gehrig Memorial Award

He is deserving and he DIDN’T do performance enhancing drugs.

These guys I can’t support:

1. McGwire, long dogged by allegations of steroid use, admitted in January 2010 to having used them for much of his career. Cheater!

2. Bagwell has never tested positive, but was the subject of PED rumors during his career. Where there is smoke, there is fire . . . However, if you can convince me otherwise, I will reconsider.

3. Walker has never been linked to PED usage, much less tested positive. His candidacy is more affected by his extreme home/away statistical splits, attributed by many to his long tenure with the Colorado Rockies in Coors Field, most of which came before the team’s installation of a humidor to store game balls caused a noticeable decline in the number of home runs hit. Coors Canaveral Launching Pad is a joke, thus anything accomplished there is a joke.

4. Palmeiro tested positive for the steroid stanozolol in 2005, a few months after testifying in front of a U.S. House panel and vehemently denying that he had ever used steroids. To this day, he claims that his positive test was due to a tainted B12 injection. A cheat and a liar (to Congress, MLB, Fans, and Me).

5. González was named by Jose Canseco in his 2005 tell-all book Juiced as one of several players whom he injected with steroids, although González denies this report. González was also named in the Mitchell Report regarding a 2001 incident in which a bag belonging to either him or his personal trainer was found to contain drugs that were legal in MLB at the time but are now banned. It remains disputed whether that bag contained steroids. Another cheater.

6. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I just thought it was a good conversation piece, I feel he falls short.

7. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Maybe I tend to over-simplify things when it comes to the HOF, but I go with my gut reaction.
    You’re either a HOFer or not. 1st ballot. 2nd ballot. 3rd ballot… immaterial to me. You either belong or you don’t. And when I hear the name up for consideration for the FIRST time, I know the answer. At least in my book…

• Nipper said, on January 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

What about the most interesting man in the world? Makes the Dos Equis hall of shame?

8. Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I don’t have a problem with PED players making it into the HOF. There’s no way to be sure who cheated and who didn’t. And you can be sure that for every guy outed by a pussy like Canseco, there are 10 guys who did it but never got caught or labeled a PED Player– my idea is to just put an asterix by anyone elected who played in the era. ’89 to 2005. Make your own call after that

9. snarkk said, on January 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Will Clark was a very good player, a fine SF Giant. Good in the clutch.
    His ’89 NLCS performance is one for the ages. The single off MItch Williams in game 5 at the Stick to send SF into the ’89 WS will be forever cherished by Giants fans.
    HOF Giant? Yes.
    HOFer? No. Just not good enough….

• Nipper said, on January 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

He doesn’t pass the Snarkk smell test!

10. snarkk said, on January 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

With apologies to Justice Stewart, HOFers are like obscenity —
    hard to define, but you know ’em when you see ’em…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on January 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Potter didn’t use the phrase, “as long as it’s tasteful?” I am depressed.

• twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm

They vote because everbody doesn’t see ’em the same..

11. Alleykat said, on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

To me Larry Walker gets in the HOF first ballot.Always been a clutch hitter,.313 lifetime avg and a .400 OBA career,solid stats througout,throw in Gold Gloves,AS games he is in Imo.

Agree with Blade…Barry Larkin is a sure thing,great combo of power and speed for the SS Position really changed the position .just an awesome player.Used to draft him on my fantasy team,Always dominated along with Ripken.

• Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Walker dominated for a few years in Colorado but that’s just not long enough, for me, to make the HoF– you have to wheel it big time for at least a dozen years for me to vote u into the HOF

• Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Just checked, he only had 200 hits once– that’s amazing for a guy that was hitting .350, .360, .370 for a few years there….
        And Melky had 200+ hits last year…I’m telling you, that’s huge…
        Me likey the Melky/Angel exacta….

12. DJLoo said, on January 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm

If Albert Belle isn’t a HOFer they should just shutter the place…

• Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

No way, didn’t play long enough or have enough dominant years for me to vote him in

• blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

The chief knock against Belle’s HOF case is that he didn’t play long enough, and therefore didn’t reach any of the milestones that equal automatic HOF induction. No 3,000 hits. No 500 home runs. No 1,500 runs batted in.

But he was pretty fucking dominant in the 1990s.

Belle played 12 seasons, longer than Kirby Puckett, Sandy Koufax, and Ralph Kiner. He didn’t quit because he couldn’t hack it. He was forced out by an arthritic hip. He played in 10 full seasons (and parts of two others) and during that peak decade he averaged 37 HR, 120 RBI and a roughly .360 OBP. In 1995 he became the first player to hit 50 doubles and 50 home runs in a season. Even in his last season, when he was hobbling around the bases, he hit .281 with 23 HRs and 103 RBI.

He deserved better than the 3.5% of the vote he got in 2007, which was not enough to even merit another year on the ballot.

Of course Belle was a jerk, i.e., that’s why he only got 3.5% a few years ago. Writers hated him and they are the ones who vote for the HOF. But I don’t care about that. Count me among those who think the Hall of Fame should get rid of its character clause. In short, Loo’s right.

13. paulinasia said, on January 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm

From the last thread, Blade and Zumie, fun to see you discussing that “All Star Baseball” game. I hadn’t thought of that in years. I also had a copy of the “old” version with the old-timers because as a little kid, I found it in my Grandmother’s attic, my uncle had it when he was a kid. I mostly remember thinking the names were so cool (Pie Traynor, Frankie Frisch, etc.). And yeah, loved the players with that big #1 wedge for HRs. Also remember getting the new version for Christmas one year, but by then, I wasn’t playing it much anymore. I still remember how those old paper disks looked, felt, smelled (well, the game had been in an attic for years, afterall). Good stuff.

• blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Yeah, still thinking today about that game Paul . . . Weird how baseball – in all its forms – reminds me of a simpler, serene and peaceful time of my life. Thanks for the post . . .

• paulinasia said, on January 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

And it still does, Blade, as baseball is still a refuge of sorts of simplicity and serenity in a crazy world. Except when my team can’t put more than one run on the board… 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Yeah, figuratively – I “die” a bit during the season when the Giants lose a game. I love basketball (Warriors) and football (Niners), but it’s not nearly the same. In fact, I went this entire decade essentially not giving a rat’s ass that the 49ers were not relevant. After experiencing Montana, Rice, Craig, Lott, Reynolds, etc., in the 1980s, I knew that magic could never again be replicated . . . Even their 1994 Superbowl was anti-climatic in a way, i.e., I was really conflicted about Young, since Montana was my hero.

Anyway, I’ve digressed. Baseball is constant in my life and especially, the Giants. Always been that way and always will. My grandfather gave me that “gift.”

14. Flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Blade, you called baseball a “constant.” I would call it *the balance* in my life. It’s something I can turn to (this blog is a part of that) when I need balance. And the best part is, it’s always been there for me. Baseball has NEVER let me down, unlike many people and circumstances in my life. To me, baseball’s wins and losses are secondary to the moments. And you can’t do that with any other sport.
    The thread I had after the Penn St disaster about *baseball and writing* says it all for me.

• blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’d like to see that again Flav (perhaps on a slow winter baseball day) . . . Not certain if I was out of the country when you had that thread.

“Constant,” “Balance,” or whatever each Flapper ascribes to baseball, it’s something special for each of us. Almost equally important is having The Flap (or more formally, The San Francisco Giants Blog) available to each of us daily where we can write about baseball’s qualities and/or characteristics that we each love about our sport and of course, our Giants. How cool is that?

15. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Baseball was always a diversion, yes, a wonderful diversion, but when September rolled around, it was time to gear up for football season. The inevitable fade into oblivion by the Giants always coincided with the start of the football season. . . .

• Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Well, football was always annoying and misplaced until opening day. But baseball never took a back seat– maybe a side seat depending on how far out they were.

16. dirtnrocksnreno said, on January 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Clark’s candidacy is similar to Raines in my mind. On the doorstep of the HOF but not in.

Remember the Clark/Palmeiro comparisons? Those two were held up to one another even back when they were college teammates. Ultimately Palmeiro couldn’t hold Clark’s jock. I always thought that was a contributing factor to Palmeiro’s PED use. Well, that and the millions of dollars to be made.

17. Big flavor said, on January 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Man, the Sun Dressed Goddess could twirl some hair, couldn’t she?