A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

49er Fan Candlestick Park *Moments*

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 9, 2012

Watching the Bronco fans go bezerrk-o last night was fun to watch. It made me think of all the great moments that Candlestick Park has seen over the years. Of course, most of those playoff moments happened for the 49ers, not the Giants.

Who could forget The Catch? Chuck and Denny have said they were at the game and even tore away grass tufts as momento’s. Who knows they could have even high fived each other or banged into each other that day while they were stealing City grown and owned grass….. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Of course The Catch was great, but one of the best moments of that day was this dude:

I love that dude……

In 1998 there was the Steve Young Miracle Pass to T.O. to beat Green Bay with 3 seconds left. I have never seen a grown man cry for as long as T.O cried after catching that ball. What a *moment* this was……

The 2002 playoff game against the Giants, the last playoff game played at the ‘Stick until next Saturday, had perhaps the weirdest, wildest ending of any playoff game played there. With the game nearing an end, Garcia hooks up with Tai Streets to complete an improbable comeback. But that was just the beginning. Then the Giants drive down the field and actually manage to set up a game winning field goal try. Well, here is the rest (scroll to about the 8:50 mark of this video)…

I still can’t believe Allen got off that good of a throw in that situation. Watching Strahan trudge off the field at the end was priceless…..

Anyway, playoff football is back in my life for the first time since 2002. I really don’t have a feel one way or the other for how Saturday’s game plays out. I’m just excited to watch the game…….

__________________________________________________________________________

Retro Game of the Day!!!!!!!!!!!

Let’s move on to 1984. It was a pretty dismal year I don’t know how long I’ll spend on this year. We lost 96 games. I usually start off with the Opening Day game but decided to choose the second game of the season played on April 5th, 1984. The day before 52K showed up to watch the loss. Today, 8,460 turned out to watch Krukow v Chuck Rainey. 52K all the way down to 8K is a pretty huge single game drop. The fans must have known what type of year we were in for. Krukow got lit up again. He didn’t make it out of the 2nd inning. If memory serves, he also got lit up in his first start for the Giants in ’83–I don’t think he made it out of the 1st inning that day. Anyway, we lost even though we banged out 15 hits, Trillo and Clark each with 3……

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 9, 2012 at 6:32 am

Not on topic, BUT at breakfast I was reading last WEDNESDAY’s NY Times and found that columnist Tyler Kepner thinks the Yanks may’ve passed on C.J. Wilson this year because they have their eyes on Matt Cain or Cole Hamels for next year, calling them basically the same pitcher statistically. He adds they passed on Johann Santana to wait for C.C. Sabithia, essentially forgoing the pennant one year and winning the Series the next, in ’09.

• ChiPower said, on January 9, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yeah, Paulie…we kicked that one around last week. There were two articles on that topic.

I agree with WillieD…Gigantes lock Cainer up, and soon. They have said publicly, MANY times, that locking up Cain and Timmy are their priorities. As I commented last week…I think Cain should be THE priority. Dude is a horse!

• Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I agree Chi, Cain should be the priority.
        Hopefully the negotiations with him won’t be so bad. New baby, owning a house in Noe Valley, I think he wants to settle in here at least I hope so..

• TedSpe said, on January 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Bozo, just for the record, he’s moved out of Noe Valley and the house is for sale. But I think it’s due to the growing family as opposed to any nefarious reasons.

2. willieD said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’d disagree with Kepner’s take on all levels. Cain is better and more durable than the others; hope SF locks him up for a while, and soon.
    Plus, with their resources and competitive edge, I doubt Yanks are forgoing anything. They have holes in the rotation esp for playoffs, no doubt, and Texas has sent them packing their golf clubs early. Add in Boston (added Bailey for Paps) and Tampa in their own division and some aging superstars, Yanks might have to make moves now to hang. AL is a tough league.
    glad Steve Young gets some run…sure the Montana gang was legendary, but Young did things his own completely inimitable way, even sans helmet, and not without considerable forces against him.

3. Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 am

9ers in the playoffs, how sweet it is. As some of you know, New Orleans is like a second home to me (well actually third now that I don’t live in SF any longer). I have been able to root for the Saints in the playoffs the last couple of years and that was OK since the Niners weren’t in it. Not this year, nope. A few friends from NOLA have already mentioned that this might not be a great weekend to visit, hell one of my haunts there eluded to the old Bums rush if I walked in (can’t say I blame em, I can be kinda loud). I can’t afford to be in SF right now but damn that would be a hell of a lot of fun. So it’ll be off to a local tavern here (if 25 miles away can be considered local) and I can’t wait. Who Dat, going to beat dem Saints? We Dat. Niners by six.

• ewisco said, on January 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’ve NEVER understood how cinci picked up “who dey, who dey, who dey going to beat dem bengals” and claimed that they started it. yeah, that big cajun culture in cinci.

4. ChiPower said, on January 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

Awesome video clip, Flav. If that doesn’t make the hair on your neck stand up, you are not a Niner fan. One of the greatest all-time comebacks.

The part I loved about that video is the crowd…how fricking loud they are. The Stick will be ROCKING on Saturday.

GO NINERS!

I like it Clown…not sure if Niners win by six…but I think they win…with neither team scoring over 30.

5. TedSpe said, on January 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

The Catch. Funny but that game almost made the actual Super Bowl anti-climatic. At least for me. I just entered a raffle for 2 tickets to Saturday’s game, upper reserve, Section 41 on the 50 yard line. WTF. It’s only $10. Niners in the playoffs again after all these years. Oh Lord!!
    I think I have an REO Speedwagon song going through my head!!??

6. Alleykat said, on January 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

8 seconds left in the game.Young with jersey # 8 it was destiny.Owens Owens Owens!!!!!!!!

7. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Actually, I wasn’t at the Catch game. Wasn’t at the Owen Owens Owens game either. I’ve seen literally hundreds of Niner games, but I missed those. And I can’t remember why. I’ve seen 3 NFC championships and countless other playoff games. The Young run vs Minnesota in the final minutes. The game that John Taylor scored 2 punt return TDs on Monday night. The epic loss to Dan Fouts where he and Montana traded TDs all day only to lose 41-37. John Brodie throwing 2 TDs in the 4th quarter to beat the Vikes on the last day of the season to make the playoffs in 1972.

This is just awesome that these guys are back in the playopffs. Win or lose, they have come a looooooong way under Harbaugh (signed a year ago today) in a very short time. A year ago, I thought the Niner front office was a wasteland of useless babblers who couldn’t come up with a cogent strategy on how to build a team. Well, one Jim harbaugh later, and these guys are the toast of the league.

Fucking weird . . . but I love it.

8. snarkk said, on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm

On that video of the TO catch against the Packers, I saw Kevin Gogan for a second. If U remember, he was the ex Cowboy that played for the Niners for a bit, then moved on to other teams, but he played well while in SF. Anyway, I was fishing in Oregon over the break and my conversation with my river guide (call him Dave, not his real name) got into football, both of us Niner fans. Dave’s had Gogan as a client several times. Gogan’s a real outdoorsman. Dave is about 6-5 and 300, looks like Grizzly Adams and looks like he could rip your head off, but he’s a super nice dude. Played a little small college ball as a kid. He said Gogan is a great guy, even took Dave’s whole family out to dinner once, but has a crazy look in his eye sometimes — and you’re not sure what he’s going to do. Dave said Gogan was the only guy he ever met that made Dave feel small, and that if they had a tussle, Dave would get his ass kicked…

9. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Funny story, I met Gogan before the Pro Bowl in 1998. Real quick. I was wearing my Rathman jersey, and we talked for about a minute about the Niners as he was getting into the elevator at the Hilton Hawaiian. Yeah, the dude’s huge. Funny guy, though. Met crazy-eyes Mike Singletary about a minute later walking thru the lobby. Sat down outside, and bumped in to Chris Berman, and had about 4-5 beers with he and his wife. Anyhow, that was the Pro Bowl game that Grogan and Derrick Thomas were ejected for fighting. I think those are the only ejections in Pro Bowl history.

And, I got off my best heckle in my life. Me and my friends (in full Niner stuff) were down by the sidelines about an hour before the game started, and Joe Theismann was interviewing someone about 30′ away. So I had to yell out to him “Hey Joe, break a leg . . .” If looks could kill, we all would have been dead.

• TedSpe said, on January 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hey Joe, break a leg?
      Man

• unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Well, I’ve never like Theismann (talk about self-promoters), and I hated him BEFORE the 1983 ‘Skins playoff game that the Niners lost due to horrible officiating. After that it was a festering hate that grew with every Redskin win. When Lawrence Taylor snapped his leg like a dried branch, I loved it. He’s about the only guy I just hated with all my heart. Steve Garvey pops into mind as well.

• TedSpe said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Well, you’re allowed to your opinion and if I had only read about it I might not think too, too much. But having seen the replay over and over again…I still say, Man

• Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Ouch Chuck. Talk about hitting the guy right in his weather vane.
      Talking about the old stink eye, Bochy has a pretty amazing one. I was sitting down by the Pads dugout when he was managing. Two outs, nobody on and they were up by two, he let his pitcher go after Bonds. I stood and gave him a mini ovation for managing the game right. Since Bonds had just parked the pitch into the water Boch wasn’t to pleased with my assessment of his managing style. After the glare, I didn’t come back with any of the old Mike Myers stuff from ‘I Married an Axe Murderer’. He probably would have killed me if I had told him to go cry yourself to sleep on your HUGE pillow. The Pads won the game by one, bastards.

• TedSpe said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m not kidding, it’s like an orange on a toothpick. That’s a huge noggin. That’s a virtual planetoid. Has it’s own weather system. That boy’s head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts!

• Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

We have a piper down, a piper down. Ah, no he’s just pissed.

10. twinfan1 said, on January 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Didn’t congratulate you, Pawlie, on your book deal. You’re the first person I thought of when Craig talked about great writing on blogs. So, well, congratulations !

11. TedSpe said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Yeas, congratulations Pawlie. I just got caught up on that. And speaking of congratulations, I can’t wait to find out what team’s cap Barry Larkin will be wearing on his Hall of Fame plaque

• Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm

That’s funny Ted.

12. ChiPower said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’ve seen a slew of Niner and Giant games at The Stick, but my most memorable has to be my very first visit…Opening Day 1977. I had just got to Calif. in January with the Air Force. Sure the place was a real shit hole, but my first Opening Day for a Giant game…it will always be special.

Last series at The Stick, my friend and I went down prior to the final night game (next to last game) and walked around AT&T. We then went to MoMo’s for a few cocktails. Was there about 10 minutes when Larry Baer and Chris Berman came in (we were the only Giant fans there and wearing our jerseys, caps, etc.). They bought us a couple of rounds and we hang out with them for a while. Got a picture of the four of us standing in the entry way for MoMo’s. Berman is a Big Man. Great memories.

What does everyone think of the line opening with the Niners getting 3.5?

• Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Like I said chi – Niners by six.

13. ChiPower said, on January 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Barry Larkins elected to the Hall of Fame. Great SS…one of the best for many years.

Bonds and many others from the roid era will be on the ballot next year. Will be interesting to see how the voting goes. McGuire (19.5%) and Palmero (12.6%) were on this year.

14. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Bonds will probably get 8%.

• snarkk said, on January 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I think he’ll get somewhere north of 30%, but will be snubbed for years to come. I say he should be in by acclamation, the best player of the ‘roid era. If they let anybody in ahead of him that played in his same time frame, it’s a joke, since the whole league was ‘roided. If they don’t vote Bonds in, they might as well suspend voting for anybody that played during that time, since there’s no guarantee anybody was or wasn’t clean…

• Nipper said, on January 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Snarkk should get at least 6% if there was any justice!

15. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Well, Bonds’ first year of his eligibility, he’ll get squadoosh for support.

• DJLoo said, on January 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I don’t think Bonds ever announced his retirement. I say he goes right in first time.

• Nipper said, on January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Bonds was great! Drugs and all……he did it his way!

16. SanDawg said, on January 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I pretty much agree with Snarkk. I don’t really care if Barry gets in or not. All I ask is that he and Clemens and McGwire and Palmeiro et al all get treated the same. If one of those guys gets in before Barry, I’ll be livid.

Chuck–you absolutely killed it in the 2:00 hour!

Pawlie–Congrats on the book deal—you deserve it!

Geaux Tigers!

17. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Kudos Pawlie. That is most excellent. Wish I had something to offer, but I wasn’t too interested once the Giants were knocked out.

18. zumie said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm

That was classic Candlestick in those days. 50,000 people on opening day, and 8,000 the next day.

19. zumie said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Brent Musberger sure loves to say “Honey Badger,” doesn’t he?
    By the way, is there a worse nickname in sports than “Honey Badger”?
    I’ll answer my own question. The answer is “no.”

• blade3colorado said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Players Division:

Lester “the Molester” Hayes, Jerome “Pooh” Richardson, Marcel “The Little Beaver” Dionne, Ray “Chink” Scott, “Pee Wee” Reese, Anthony “Booger” McFarland.

Teams Division:

Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, Columbia College Fighting Koalas (Columbia College is in S. Carolina . . . nearest Koala is in Australia), Webster University Gorloks, UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

• Bozo said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I played on a softball team called the Banana Slugs when I lived in Humboldt. The Nippon Ham Fighters has always been a top name for me. Currently it’s the Edenton Steamers from the Coastal Plain League (CPL), man if they move to Cleveland it’ll really get messy.
        After tonight’s game LSU may need to go into the team name relocation program. Maybe the Honey Badgers will work for the whole team

• Flavor said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I 1-billion percent agree with this post.
      This is such a stupid game. Stanford would at least have made it interesting….

• snarkk said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Honey Badger sounds like somebody down at the Bayou Super 8 offering a half hour “special”…

20. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, I’ve been ripping the shit out of this BCS championship on my blog. This game was PATHETIC with a capital SUCK.

LSU got across the 50 for the first time with 7:25 left in the 4th quarter. Stanford, Okla St. Oregon, fucking Boise State, and 21 other teams would have been better than either of these teams.

21. paulinasia said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, I don’t know, I can’t see the game here, but was it really as boring as the scoreboard indicates? National championship game, and the #1 team doesn’t even score? Someday, college might go to a playoff system that leaves no doubt of a winner…. looks pretty lame this year.

22. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Their other epic battle was 9-6. These offenses couldn’t score on De La Salle.

23. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Alabama at least hit on some passes. LSU looked like they were just figuring out how to use the new invention call the ‘forward pass.’ Both QBs will be hard pressed to make the arena league next year.

24. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm

This game should serve as a glaring example how how this shit is broken.

The stadium was half-empty halfway through the 4th quarter.

25. paulinasia said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

And one other thing about the Denver game to echo Craig’s opening post about fans going berserk… Just for the sake of fan-dom, I was glad to see Denver win. In the distant past, I lived in Denver for only 4 years, but it was a fairly exciting weekly event, Bronco games, whether at the stadium (where I went only twice) or, more commonly, at all the local dive bars around town with everyone watching the games. Good for them. Of course, there won’t be anymore games in Denver this year, but it was good to see.

And, congrats, Pawlie!

• unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Did you ever venture in to Shotgun Willie’s, Paul??

I lived in the Colo mountains for 3 years and made the trek to Denver a few times. I couldn’t stand the hero worship that Elway got. The level it was taken to was nauseating. The fans were psycho, that’s for sure. Back then, that was the only game in town. Nuggets? Ehhhh.

In fact, I almost went to the infamous 49er snowball game where Fat Ray missed a FG as time ran out as a snowball hit the field right next to where Montana was holding the ball. Glad I didn’t drive 6 hours one way to sit in a snowstorm to watch the Niners lose in the final seconds 16-14. The conditions were awful. The next year, of course, the Niners won the Super Bowl, in Palo Alto, and I was living in Colo. If I had been home I could have gotten tickets without a problem. DOH!!!!

26. paulinasia said, on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Chuck, my time in Denver was ’77 to ’81, well before Elway. My first winter there in university was when they went to their first Super Bowl (Craig Morton at QB, etc.), so it was exciting, even if Dallas blew them out. Still seemed like good, appreciative fans. And yes, I did go to Shotgun Willie’s, back when it was a divey country/western bar (not that I like country/western, but yeehah, welcome to Denver). Was a bit surprised to return some time later and it was a strip club. My favorite dives there? The Stadium pub on Evans… The Punch Bowl on Lincoln or Broadway, just north of downtown… The Brown Bottle on S. Federal… The Rocket Lounge, also on Evans… man, some down and dirties. Probably all of them are long gone…

• unca chuck said, on January 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Yeah, it was a strip joint when was there.

27. snarkk said, on January 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm

As if we needed confirmation that BCS is a total joke, we get this bullsheit game tonight. Congrats to Alabama. your offense was only the second worst on the field tonight. Anybody wanna wager that Luck couldn’t find a way to throw a TD or two at Alabama? No wonder these teams’ defenses look good. They play against QBs that would be laughed out of a CFL tryout….

28. snarkk said, on January 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

These LSU and Bama QBs were a joke tonight.
    Down on Bourbon Street tonight, there will be hundreds of better passes made with beads to chicks with DD sweaters — and no doubt with more satisfying completions…

29. blade3colorado said, on January 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I understand what Paul is saying about the fans being faithful to the Broncos. However, having lived here for almost 14 years, I totally get Chuck’s point, especially being a 49er fan.

Ask yourself what the difference is?

A Denver Broncos fan will beat up his wife or do some other type of mayhem should the Broncos lose on Sunday (even occasionally when they win). Crime statistics always go up in this cow town on Monday when the donkeys lose.

Conversely, a San Francisco 49er fan will forget about the loss and go enjoy the rest of the day, doing one of the hundreds of myriad things there are to do in the SF bay area.