A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Another *Moment* in Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 15, 2012

Earlier in the week, I wrote a thread titled “49er Fan Candlestick Moments”. Boy, did we ever get one yesterday. This was so different from The Catch, in so many ways. Back then, we’d always sucked, no one really knew what to do or how to act. But after 5 super bowl wins, as fans we came to expect a lot more from our team. We walked the earth with a type of pride afforded to us BECAUSE we were Niner fans. It was a type of pride given to us by our team and we earned it with all those years of faith. But when we started losing that pride eroded. A lot. Year after year piled on top of those years and for a long time that pride we carried as fans was nothing but a distant memory….

So when Vernon Davis caught the ball to win the game and send us to the NFC Championship game and the camera panned to a hysterical Davis and a crowd losing their collective mind, even though I wasn’t there, I was hit square in the face with the feeling of that long, lost Niner Pride. It was back. And recapturing something I’d lost felt so goddamn good. That’s why yesterday’s game was so special and will stay with me for a long, long time no matter what happens next week.

If you haven’t heard Ted Robinson and Eric Davis call this play, watch this video. And if you’re a Niner fan and you don’t choke up a little and  feel that pride rush back to you, flooding over your body like a tsunami, then you either aren’t human or you aren’t a Niner fan. Enjoy.

1. Giant Head said, on January 15, 2012 at 7:53 am

I believe now…cost me a few hundred dollars, but my niner memories from the 80s has been awakened and Jim Harbaugh hasd taken the torch from Bill Walsh.

Alex Smoth put up a Joe Montana performance, but Vernon Davis is the heart and soul of the team and “The Hit” was what determined this game!!!!

2. Bozo said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:26 am

The wife and I ROCKED the Lucky 12 Tavern in Nags Head. Got there an hour and a half before game time and had a fantastic day, one of my best birthdays ever. Most of the folks there just wanted to watch a PO game not caring who won. Some folks came in rooting for the Saints (bets). When the Saints scored their last TD, I stood and toasted them. One lady who was rooting for the Saints said, “Hey what kinda fan are you? There is still time left”. I told her she was right, ordered another shot of tequila, turned my hat around and watched an amazing comeback. At that point the whole bar was rooting for the 9ers. When they won the cook came running out of the kitchen wearing one of those old school gold 9er jackets (said it was his dads). Rounds were bought and everyone was in a huge party mood after not only watching, but getting behind a great, great comeback.
    Flav, before the game, did a dial a shot – the bar called me.
    Cheers all.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:38 am

epic re-countment of that moment, Clown. You should have known that when the bar called you, special things were in store later on. I’m still so jazzed about that game, and so happy for Smith and Gore and all those guys. I just keep shaking my head and smiling. I’ve watched the Robinson/Davis video of that last td like 30 times this morning.

3. ewisco said, on January 15, 2012 at 9:08 am

nice link to the video. it’s great that they used the radio feed for the audio. Ted R was doing some serious man-loving on alex and not at all ashamed. hopefully no serious injuries. it sounds like gore hurt his leg near the end.

Lord it feels good to bask again.

4. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

The last two two 49er drives were for 80 and 85 yards took up a total of 3 minutes and 19 seconds. They are already part of NFL playoff lore and it’s so cool that we now have 3 of the great last moment drives of all time. We’ve all seen it by now but extra special note has to be made of the blocking on Smith’s TD run- Williams absolutely destoyed his man and Staley getting downfield to get the safety, awesome. And Alex ran it with abandon…

5. DJLoo said, on January 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

Lesley Visser looks like she just walked off the set of Planet Of The Apes…

6. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 10:56 am

On the postgame Alex talked about how if there was a window he was going to Vernon, if not he’d throw it away and settle for the FG. Some window. That took a perfect throw and a QB with the guts to make it..

7. Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

I forgot it was 3rd down there until I saw it this morning. Glad we didn’t have to go to OT, our defense looked tired at the end.
    I loved Ted Robinson’s call, it was epic. I could have done without Davis’ hootin’ and hollerin’. I like him well enough but I miss Gary Plummer–he never held back in his commentary. I would have loved to hear Plummer’s call yesterday…….

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 11:04 am

What would Shaw have done? Alex takes a knee, and Akers goes for the tying FG..

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

Ugh, don’t remind me. I still hate him….

8. '49ers bandwagon buddy said, on January 15, 2012 at 11:20 am

I just re-watched the game. What a defense those San Francisco guys have. Blue Ribbon for the blue collars.
    That game paid for my NFL costs if I don’t see another, really great emotion, exciting play.

Bozo, BTW, my corner pub is the Nags Head, although I doubt they had the game on.

9. Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 11:51 am

since we’re sharing our neighboring water holes….

Clown, I hope you have your wife doing the driving, 20 miles is a lonnnnng way to go without Jonny Law fuckin with ya.

• '49ers bandwagon buddy said, on January 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm

the only guy at this place more than you is the owner?
      Nice spot, but then any place that close to east palo alto can’t be all bad??
      *grins*

• Bozo said, on January 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm

We got a motel room so we could both have fun. Winter rates at the beach are cheaper than a cab or jail.

10. DJLoo said, on January 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Here’s my favorite hardcore, old-time Brooklyn saloon:

• Bozo said, on January 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I thought the Stonewall was in Greenwich Village but I hear the place can be a real riot.
      Sorry, bad joke.

11. Big flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

As I said yesterday, Houston was gonna get me that by 1/2 pt– by the skin of my ball sack, they did it.
    Now, let’s go Giants! I like saying that.

12. unca chuck said, on January 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hail Mary!!!!! Giants get a TD!!!

13. Macdog said, on January 15, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Y’all can start buying your NFC Championship Game tix — HERE COME THE G-MEN!

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 5:16 pm

bring it!

• Macdog said, on January 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Gotta hand it to ya, Flav, you’ve been taking the Giants every week. Are you good for one more time? 🙂

14. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I deleted my post

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm

all the vets here support you and want the update, just post it already.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

indeed

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Forget it.

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I tried to get a feel for how people did feel about my health updates and no one responded. It seemed reasonable then to let those interested E-Mail me.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:25 pm

that’s disappointing. You’re entitled to do what you want with this though. All I said was that people care about you here and an update will always be treated with the utmost support.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

As a few of you know, I could not catch the game and be a decent son to my 95yo mother. I caught a few minutes before halftime, then out to dinner. In an eerie way, for me it was shades of being in Philly when the Giants clinched against the Phils in 2010, receiving texts while at the ballet. This time, my niece was sending me agonizingly CRYPTIC texts like “WOW! SOME GAME.” No regrets. Happy for the dinner at Blue Ginger Chinese restaurant, where the owner assured me of long life (she reveres my mother like a goddess), and happy for the win. MY 49ers path as an East Coast fan is quirky: around 1980-81, I said, what the heck, go for the 49ers, you already go for the Giants, and they say this Montana kid is pretty good. Give it a whirl. I did. I have. I am.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

relax Pawlie, you’re in. We will ride this wave all the way to the (Pawlie) Shore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

It’s fun to regain some SF swagger and bask. DJLoo can chime in if he wants, but I’m 94% sure that most Yankees fans are football Giants fans, and Mets fans are Jets fans. There’s a curious connection to next week’s game: I am 99.9% certain that the NFL Giants derived their name from OUR baseball team. Incidentally, I don’t know which ESPN or other columnist said it a few months ago, but do announcers really have to say FOOTBALL Giants?! Our boys left NY at end of ’57 season, so I think we got it by now. Another redundancy that annoys me: football announcers always have to say football, they can’t say ball. WTF other kind of ball can it be? (Football, ahem, Giants fans are just as obnoxious as Yankees fans, maybe worse. I went for them as a kid, when the late Andy Robustelli went to our church and I played CYO games w/ his kid. Beloved figure, Andy. I actually went to that church this morning. Built by hand by Slovak-Americans, it is now overwhelmingly Latino.)

• ewisco said, on January 15, 2012 at 10:55 pm

pawlie, i think chris berman started the whole modern era of the ny football giants. boomer is a City guy at heart. loves his niners and the billies.

16. Alleykat said, on January 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

TF….I am interested in your medical condition and do respect your privacy in this matter.Hope all is going well with you.You old Codger.

17. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 7:31 pm

As usual, VD was emotional and talkative but Alex, after the game of his life, was the same cool guy, humble as always. It’s that trait that made Singeltary say he was not a leader, but as we found out when Mike was no longer around to intimate, they were traits that made his teammates respect him. When it was “Alex Time” yesterday we got what we needed- a leader as cool as the other side of the pillow. Afterward- as controversial as he got when pressed at to what it all meant “We’re still playing…”

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2012 at 7:48 pm

did you see the network interview VD at halftime? He got awfully animated when he corrected the interviewer and said “It’s not just the coaching staff, the ENTIRE TEAM believes in Alex”. It’s just so great to watch an underdog story like this unfold. I’m so happy for him and thankful that he decided to come back for one more shot with SF……

• twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Yeah, I saw it. Vernon was pretty disrespected here too, not like Alex, but it’s amazing how much shit he’s received. I think he and Alex showed up quite well against their more ballyhooed adversaries…

• zumie said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I think Singletary helped Vernon respect the game and become more professional. That may have been one of Singletary’s few contributions to the 49ers. The penalties for over-celebrating have dropped way off, and Davis is no longer accused of taking plays off.

18. twinfan1 said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm

The tumor has regrown. Because of it’s location in the motor strip and that there’s already damage to some motor functions, it’s become riskier to treat without significant possibility of making me basically non-functional. I hope to know some acceptable treatment options by the end of the week. I found this out Friday.

• zumie said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Sorry to hear that news, TF. We’re hoping and praying for good news on the treatment options.

• ewisco said, on January 15, 2012 at 10:56 pm

bummer mike. thoughts and prayers as always.

• shaman_138 said, on January 16, 2012 at 1:16 am

Oh shit….best wishes, Mike. I’m sorry.

19. zumie said, on January 15, 2012 at 8:55 pm

The forecast is for rain, on and off, this weekend. I see that as an advantage for the Niners. The NY Giants aren’t used to playing in the Candlestick quagmire.

• shaman_138 said, on January 16, 2012 at 1:19 am

But they are an outdoor NYC team…and they really ARE the road warriors. IMO, if they can win in Lambeau, they can win in Candlestick. But….I don’t think so…SB # 6 will be coming back to SF in a few short weeks. The G-Men are a very dangerous team right now, though.