A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Arb Guys are Falling Like Flies

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 18, 2012

Nate *got his* with a 1.3 million dollar deal. Pablo avoided arbitration by signing a 3 year, 17million dollar contract. Incentives are included. I couldn’t be happier for Pablo–a guy who worked his ass off to re-capture the focus and train his body to a level it has never been before in his life.

Timmy filed at 21.5 million with the Giants checking in at 17mil. I’m wondering if a 2 year/40 million dollar deal is coming……..

Great friend to the blog, Steve (aka *Blade from Colorado*) checked in from his trip to Boquete, Panama. Sounds like he’s having a whirlwind of a time. Here are a few pics he sent me:

The first one is of Steve preparing to storm the city. They don’t know what’s about to hit ’em. The 2nd one is where he spent his quiet time writing winter Haiku about the Giants. The 3rd one is where you go to rent movies, I guess, in Boquete, Panama. How’d you like to be the city gardener responsible for taking care of that? Have fun dude but most importantly, STAY OUTTA TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Bozo said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:15 am

Hey Blade, good job parking that car on the flowers.

I know it would just be a ST invite, but Gregor Blanco? Are you fucking kidding me.?
    A shout out here to Bobby Evans, I don’t complain much and I do understand budget issues and all but Gregor Blanco? You see Bobby, I’m thinking maybe just maybe you can squeeze a few million from your ol’ pal Larry and perhaps pick up that clown wannabe, you know, Cody Ross. At this point you can probably get him on a one year deal and the Giant would then, truly have some OF depth. Don’t get me wrong Bobby, I love Nate and as exciting as a platoon of Huff, Belt and Pill would be I’m thinking adding a true OFer just might be some decent insurance to have.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bozo

2. willieD said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:49 am

The cult of Nate…I’d like to post something like this on bagg’s blog where most of his fans seem to be.
    Here’s what I want to see: First, can he actually play an entire season without a debilitating injury, and be in a position to help the team in August pennant drive? If not, take up a sport like swimming.
    Second, can he keep the OPS above league avg. for OFs of .750? Best way to do that is either pick up the OB by spraying the ball around the park (esp vs. LHP), or even better, picking up the slugging. Last year he showed more pop than before, but everything went south after AS break.
    Third, show you are not a rowand type and take ad of the park where you have to play half the season. Stop hitting the ball in the air to CF where you aren’t going to go yard, and look to pull the ball down the line to go deep. And if they pitch you away, then hit it that way.
    But it’s put up or stfu time…show everyone you are more than a .265 hacker with a good arm/platoon guy.

3. St said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:19 am

Yeah Bozo, it would be comforting to have a guy like Ross back, but do you pay a backup $5-6m? They apparently don’t even have the scratch for a decent utility guy.

Baggs says Gregor was MVP of the Venezuelan Winter leagues. Late bloomer? Soft competition?

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

I know what you mean St, except I would consider Nate more of the back-up. And instead of a bunch of First basemen playing Left field, I’d feel a bit better with an established OFer. I also understand that they are trying to make room for the current merry-go-round at first but I’d feel more comfortable with an additional OFer and one less 1B. With Buster slotted to play 1B more somethings gotta give and I assume one of them gets traded in ST.
      But you’re right St, Blanco may end up being this year’s astute pickup on the cheap. And if that happens, I’ll happily admit to my stupidity and drink nothing but silver tequila as my penance.
      Cheers.

4. big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

I’m actually cool with the Gregor signing. Justin Christian might not be cool with it. But whatever, he’s got a little speed—he’s like a smaller version of Nate with significantly less power. And he’s basically free…..

5. St said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:14 am

And Nate’s basically free. For a million, why not see if he can put it all together? His defense and speed make it tough to just dismiss him. And money is tight. Who else do they have?

Part of the cult could be fueled by a complete failure of other G OF prospects over the years. Bowker, Neal, Ford, etc came and went. Not seeing it with guys like Keischnick, Peguero and Fairley. All hope now is on Gary Brown.

• St said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

power potential is there also as demonstrated with a few upper decks shots last yr…

• willieD said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

d and speed (but not sb speed/sense) are nice but on an offensively challenged unit like SF, he has to do more, more consistently, and he has to stay healthy. There’s always been and injury and an excuse with this guy every year. He could easily be 4th OF behind Belt, Pagan and Melk (in RF). either he shows deserves to be in there every day, or wave good bye to him.

• St said, on January 18, 2012 at 10:24 am

No one would dispute he needs to do more to start. Obviously they aren’t sold yet. Might be his last chance, but he’s arb elig again next yr, so unless he’s traded or goes completely off, might see him back.

Last yr was .278/.326/.756. He had 9 hrs and 41 rbi in 362 PA. Those numbers again might make him attractive as a 4th for about 2.5m.

6. Nipper said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:42 am

Nice pics……

7. St said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

Nate may be best suited as the 4th. But in order to afford Tim and Matt, they will need as many homegrown guys making peanuts as they can get.
    It’s best to hope guys like Nate, Crawford Belt Brown etc can all become frontline players. so they can afford the league’s best pitching staff.

8. Sarge said, on January 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

All this talk about not being able to afford guys is really making me miss the bow tied one.

9. Flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm

chuck, what happened to your boy Phil last night? Went crazy on your blog? Where did that come from. He seemed like a sane enough guy…….

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Shit, I don’t know. He seemed OK until his rant. I was tempted to kill the entire thread and all the posts, but I just ended up editing a bunch of them.

BWT, how do you close comments? I can’t find jack in WPs help.

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm

There’s a setting to click in “settings” under a tab I can’t remember. When I get hm from work I’ll email it to you

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

OK Flav, I had to go and check it out (thanks man). And you know what? Blah blah blah. Edited by Chuck . . . So if I Blah blah blah. Edited by Chuck . . .I mean really, would you Blah blah blah. Edited by Chuck . . .Oh and Blah blah blah. Edited by Chuck . . . Just try and stop Blah blah blah. Edited by Chuck . . .
      This message has been approved by Blah blah blah. Edited by Chuck . . .

Wow, even the blogosphere is protesting SOPA.

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Hah!

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Sorry guys, I didn’t mean to make light of being a moderator, which by the most part would seem to be a pretty thankless job.
        Have you guys thought about adding a war room or something? When a “yer mama” kinda thing starts happening, folks could just tell whoever to take it to the war room. I don’t know, it just seems like it would be a pain in the ass to edit individual post.
        I know, I know, Fuck you Bozo!

• TedSpe said, on January 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Funny

10. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Successful GMs Frank Cashen (Mets, O’s) and Bill Torrey (Islanders) were notorious bow-tie wearers…

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Dont forget Winston Churchill . . .

• TedSpe said, on January 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Or Louis Farrakhan. Also, latter day Humphrey Bogart

• DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

and an even greater actor……….Pee Wee Herman

11. TedSpe said, on January 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Great pictures from blade. I see Bozo pointed out the fine parking job in the flower bed

12. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Panama looks like a swell place to take a leak outdoors…

• TedSpe said, on January 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Then again, what place isn’t?

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I take the time to hand pick the pics blade sent me that best captures the artistry and essence of Panama and this is all you can come up with????!!?!?? 🙂 🙂 🙂

13. snarkk said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Yu Whirling Dervish gets signed to 6 years at $60M total by Rangers. Add in the $51M they paid off the Hamfighters to talk to him and sign him, that’s 6 years for $111M or $18.5M per year. This is for a guy who has thrown ZERO pitches in MLB. Ya’ think Timmeh’s (and Cain’s) agents might bring this up to Baer and Co.?…

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Well, the scouts obviously think his skill set will transfer well to the major leagues. It’s tricky, pitching in Japan isn’t like hitting there. For instance, it’s considered a good thing to pitch deep into a count—it’s an honor thing or something. YD could be the real deal but I wouldn’t have spent 111 mil to find out….

• Alleykat said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Yeah especially when we can sign a chump named Gregor….what’s the deal do the Giants save 100k with one less letter on his name?

• Alleykat said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thinkin the same damm thing Snarkk.Timmy and Cainer’s price just jumped up.

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

No it didn’t. They know that he is universally considered the best foreign pitcher on the planet. And he’s still only making 10 mil a year, you don’t factor the fucking posting fee into this, lol

• snarkk said, on January 18, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Why don’t you figure the posting fee? It’s been paid, for HIM. It’s gone from the corporate account, like the salary. In fact, it’s worse. According to the WPost, that fee is paid UP FRONT. All of it That’s way WORSE than actually paying it off as part of annual salary. I count it for sure…

14. Alleykat said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Buenas Dias Bladeola…Did you upgrade your cell phone at that Movistar Hacienda?

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

If u blow that third pic up the statue in the center is pretty funny looking. Of course, I probably just accidentally insulted a religion or 3 and my apologies, in advance, to Phil from Chuck’s blog who must be doing a slow burn right now…..

• DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, WTF is that??

• DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Blade observing the funny looking statue:

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Oh I know what that is. Hey, what the hell is that thing.

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm

For a moment I pretended it was you 🙂 booooo yaaaaaa!!!!

15. DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I lost track of Keppinger & Fontenot. Are they still out there?

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm

They kept Font and waved bye bye to Kepp

16. Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Loo and others from The Flap Nation: it’s not too late to jump on the Niner band wagon and meet up at Chuck’s blog for a little in-game football speak. Loo, your observations would be gold over there, baby.

17. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

If I explained what the hell that car was doing there, you wouldn’t believe me anywho. Alleykat nailed it insofar as the sign, i.e., a major cell phone operator out of Spain (think Verizon with Pancho Villa saying, “Can you hear my stinking voice now?”

The area behind the car is their fair grounds and they are having a one week festival w/nightly music and carnival rides. Place is packed every night. I know I know – it still doesn’t explain the car. HA!

I met this guy Jack at my hotel and we went hiking in the hills above Boguete. He is a mountain climber and is climbing Mt. Barru, a volcano nearby.  I wanted to go, but my shoes would have been trashed. Instead, I went to a cafe called Ruiz, where i met a German couple, Ray (who helped me out with all things Panama) and his wife Susan. Friday, I am visiting a tribal village via dugout canoe with Mark, another person staying at the motel that Sabeena (tell ya more about her in another email) introduced me too. The trbe is called Negobe Bugle Concarca that goes back 100s of years.  K, nuff said. Take care, Steve

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Excellent check in! From that I can assume that you’ve either seized control of Boquete and are in the process of re-establishing a government that you now wield imminent power over…..OR……..you haven’t yet been captured by jungle rebels. Either way, I know you’re ok. But watch out for the German chick, they are usually not who they say they are…….. 🙂
      And tell “Jack” (that name sounds made up) that you’re supposed to run AWAY from volcano’s, only lunatics try to climb them! Oh, you mean….nevermind…….
      STAY OUTTA…..oh whatever, you know the drill.

18. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Yes I do. Continue to LQTM.

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Besides, you can’t make this shit up. Want more? At the Miraflores locks (Panama canal), I saw a Frigate. Nope, not the boat . . . But a frickin’ bird that has a wingspan as nearly as wide as a condor and looks like a flying dinosaur.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:24 pm

that’s fuckin’ awesome. fuckin’ awesome.

• DJLoo said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I believe those birds are protected against pilferage by the Guacamole Act of 1917…

• Big flavor said, on January 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I go with pretty much anything Loo says related to history so honor his verdict 🙂

19. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Of course I bit and looked up Guacamole Act of 1917 and found out it’s a punk band. HA! Anywho, here is my first Youtube video, describing the (LACK) of action in Boguete, Panama.

20. EdGdsnInExile said, on January 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Nice pics. Blade. From the photos, the climate looks dry there, but I thought Panama was humid. Depend on location in the country?

As for Gregor, the one positive thing I noticed from his stats is that his lifetime OBA is quite good, .358, and relative to his lifetime BA, .258, is VERY good. Walks have to be a major orientation of your game to have that 100-point discrepancy. But like some of you, I wouldn’t mind seeing Cody offered a contract. To me, he would have just as much chance of making an impact next year as Belt and Huff.

• snarkk said, on January 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Gregor, Fregor, Frodor. This dude isn’t going to do squat…

• blade3colorado said, on January 19, 2012 at 4:32 am

Very humid in most of Panama, except the Chiriqui province where Boguete is. Almost 3500 feet altitude where I am and 12000 foot volcano nearby (mt. Baru).