A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What if the Giants signed BOTH Timmy and Cain to Long Term Deals?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 19, 2012

As I gazed at the *future contract obligation* chart, I couldn’t help but notice how skillfully the Giants organization has set up the future for the team in terms of financial flexibility. With Zito coming off the books in 2013 (the big money, not the 7 million *pocket change* buy out in 2014) the Giants can start pursuing big name free agents again and still keep the payroll below where it will be this year (130 mil range).

But what if they stayed in house and just signed BOTH Timmy and Cainer to 5 year, 100 million+ deals? With Sabean’s propensity for *building the team around pitching* I almost think it’s a guarantee that he tries to go that route (sign Cainer to a LT extension this year, sign Timmy to a 2 year deal this year and then go LT starting in 2014). The upside fallout to that is that we could trade them if we fall out of contention except for the probable fact that both  would have no-trade clauses written in and/or will become 10/5 guys at some point during a long term deal….

By the way, I don’t think this will happen since I am setting the odds at 3/5 that Timmy signs a long term deal with Seattle when he finally becomes a free agent…..

But looking at it just from a *Can we do this* money-standpoint, it’s nice to see that sheet free and clear in the upcoming years…….

_____________________________________________________________________________

Retro Game of the Day–Hello 1986!

April 15th, 1986– loved this year. Look at those names. We lost 8-3 on Opening day in front of 46,000 fans. But I don’t care. Just look at those names. 🙂

1. ewisco said, on January 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

flav, took a look at the bb of the day and my eyes are still burning.

• Flavor said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

as in life and gambling, they can’t all be winners…..:)

• EdGdsnInExile said, on January 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

Is that a Christmas wreath for a tattoo? WTF?!

2. Bozo said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:15 am

Although the chart needs to be updated for the Panda deal (didn’t he just sign a 3 year deal?), your point is well taken Flav.

3. DJLoo said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:30 am

Is a Tim to Seattle for Felix trade a possibility?

4. Bozo said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:36 am

One thing I’d love to see (but I doubt the Giants will ever release it) is a chart showing the Ballpark debt/revenues. You know the Giants are trying to acquire the properties next to the ballpark (Jellies, Yacht club etc), with the notion of building an arena. This makes me think the owner’s group is making more off the yard than it’s debt that they cry about so often. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind them making money for the ballpark company, I mean they are the ones that took the risk after all. It’s just, I wouldn’t mind seeing some bucks float from that side of the house over to the baseball operation part. I wonder if this might have been a bit of contention with them and the Bow Tied Champ.

5. Flavor said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:41 am

I find it sickly humorous that as it stands right now, barry Zito would be the 2nd highest paid Giant player in 2014 when we EXERCISE HIS BUY OUT! LQTM

6. zumie said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

The Giants ’86 marketing motto was “You gotta love these kids!,” which is kind of amusing because the kids were Clark and Thompson, two guys. A really TERRIFIC two guys, but two guys all the same. Unless I’m forgetting somebody.

• twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

Those two were the rookies, but Uribe, Chris Brown ( .317 that year), and Chili were all young guys.

• ChiPower said, on January 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

A number of the pitchers were youngsters, too…Garrelts, Mulholland, Downs and Jeff Robinson.

7. willieD said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:54 am

Bozo, I’ve wondered about expense stuff and bowtie vs. the other suits myself. It wasn’t long after Betran acquisition and cutting ties with rowand (and eating the money) that he gracefully retired. Imo, these were club things from bochy and sabean they wanted done, that the bean counters fiercely rejected. Exit bowtie.
    Thx for printing up this chart flav. My first reaction is, with what they are paying pagan and melk, they could have re-signed beltran. In other words, for the price of two up and down question marks offensively and defensively you coud have had one solid .900 OPS middle of the order bat who has shown he can hit here. I’d have been a lot happier to have kept Torres and played him alongside belt and beltran in the OF with Nate as a back up and brown not too far away.
    Remains to be seen of course how Sabes plan, which is fill in the blanks with chump change players like crawford and nate around the PS, works out. But the Z albatross is still around through next season as well as this one. $20 f-ing mill????

8. Bozo said, on January 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

Yeah, Zito’s contract sure is the gift that keeps on giving, isn’t it? When he does leave, I wonder if the Giants budget will stay the same or if it magically drops 20 mil?
    Whatever, I still I think 2012 is going to be one hell of a ride. What is it now, about 30 days until P and Cs report?

9. twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 9:49 am

No matter what happens with Tim and Matt, they’d better start delevoping some new young studs-fast. With Wheeler gone, Surkamp is their best AT ANY LEVEL ( starters).

10. Flavor said, on January 19, 2012 at 10:17 am

The Giants announced 25 non-roster invitees, including right-hander Shane Loux. The 32-year-old last appeared in the Majors in 2009 and spent the 2011 season as a starter for the Giants’ top affiliate.

11. Alleykat said, on January 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

Happy Belated Birthday to Chili Davis on the 17th.He was one bad ass Giant along with tbe Ripper and.Hac Man.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hey Twin, you still want a page on my blog?

• twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Sure

• twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

BTW, Phil still thinks he’s onto some “dynamic”, some unholy trinity…funny, how all the wackos have a similar paranoia. Yogi always thought he was a caped crusader kicking ass on cyberbullies..

13. snarkk said, on January 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

BB of the Day = Newt’s current “open marriage” candidate…

• ChiPower said, on January 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Scary for a number of reasons! Yikes.

• Flavor said, on January 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

like I said earlier, all the BB’s can’t be winners…… :)P

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm

gee, I forget the BB is a daily feature; I’ll be thrilled if trashy

14. ChiPower said, on January 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Cain is making 15.3 this year, and if they signed Timmy at his arb number (21.5) the team would be at about 131 and change for payroll. What all this means (esp after Zito is gone and the Rowand deal is done) is they have the flexibility to sign both (hell, Sabes has even said it is a goal). I can see going 5 years for Cain, not Timmy. I would like to see something like 60 for 3 for Timmy with a club option on a fourth. With the option year (if exercised) that buys out his final two years of AE, and FA.

15. twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I can’t see Tim going for 3, and I pray they don’t give him 6. As I said before, I’d just finish the next 2, and worry about it then…
    On my deal, haven’t heard yet. Often she calls in the evening…

16. twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm

They will not do Gamma again, want to do another craniatomy and implant radiation seeds. There is significant risk that it will paralyze me on the right side. I really have to decide if I’ve had enough and how it will go for me if we do nothing..

• unca_chuck said, on January 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Oh, man. Sending good thoughts your way.

• Alleykat said, on January 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Tough decisions are never easy. And only you will know best for yourself .My best thoughts are with you Twin.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I sent you an email; no need to restate what I just learned here, Twin. Prayers with/for you.

• chipower said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Whatever you decide, Twin…wishing you good health and happiness.

• Flavor said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

sorry to hear this. I can’t imagine all the physical shit you have to deal with. We are behind you and support you.

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm

BB could hurt this Gramps! All due respect, but the comments there are funnier than here.

• Flavor said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

i trash the comments each time I put up another BB so it still makes sense. I agree, there are some good one liners in there. My favorite thing about it is that I know exactly what the comments are going to be for each chick I publish on that page. That’s why they aren’t all hot piece of asses. Gotta throw some MILF’s in there to keep the masses happy…….

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm

My brother tells a funny Bobby Valentine story [no, not “My funny Valentine…”; ever here Nico sing that? anyway…]: they talked about Colony Pizza in Stamford. Our fave. (I dunno, funny when I heard it.)

19. twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’ll talk to the neurosurgeon, but the last craniotomy did not go well, and the rehab was a fucking joke- all they did was make sure I had to piss 24/7 but had no way to do so. I’ll say to all: everytime things got fucked it was because I left some detail to others that I usually did myself. In this case, an MRI didn’t get scheduled when it should have. Under no circumstances can you trust that these people will do their jobs.
    Anyway,I’m still going to enjoy the hell of Sunday’s game and if Alex knew how much this fuckwad supported his ass for 7 seven years, he’ll have another two games of his life 😉

20. twinfan1 said, on January 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm