A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Fan Fest(ival) and The Great Panda Mystery Unsolved by The Chronicle

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 4, 2012

As I often do on the Day of Fan Fest I regret not going. This year I’m gone all weekend so I couldn’t go anyway. But I’d love to walk the park and just get a look at the guys.

I would have appreciated more information from John Shea on his article about The Panda.

The picture tagged to the article is of Panda’s left hand on his head with a look that seems to say “Uh oh, what have I done!?!?!”. The caption under the pic says “Pablo Sandoval gained weight this winter, which he blamed on his workouts but he looked good Friday.” Hmmmmm. Ok, that’s a little ambivalent. He *looked good Friday* but Pablo is *blaming* a weight gain on his Winter workouts. And it’s not like I can gather my own opinion because it’s just a picture of his head. Looking for more info I decide to read the article.

Problem: Shea gives very little information about these mysterious *workouts* that are blamed for the weight gain. Sandoval appears to make a veiled reference to it by saying part of the extra weight is from his Winter workouts in Arizona. Ok, so does that mean he was lifting a lot more and doing less cardio? The article isn’t clear about that. Using a caption that says he is *blaming* weight gain on workouts suggests something bad, like his body didn’t respond to the training the way it did last Winter. But if he’s adding muscle as the weight gain (because he’s lifting more and doing less cardio)  I don’t have a problem with that. Muscle is good. Muscle weighs more than fat. I’m fine with a muscular Panda. I’m not fine with a fat doughy Panda. Again, I am looking at a picture of Pablo with his hand on his forehead, no body shot, and he’s looking totally bummed out. There’s also a quote from Bochy about him saying “Pablo knows he’s got to lose weight, but he looked better than he did 2 weeks ago.”. Again, I have to say, huh? That sounds like a manager who’s saying his added weight was fat, not muscle. But Pablo’s saying it’s muscle…….

Bottom line: The Chronicle, either intentionally or not, published a story that left more questions than answers. I don’t mind that if it’s a picture to lure me into reading the article but the article created way more questions than it provided answers. Poor journalism, in my opinion……

As I said last night, I’m not worried about the Panda’s conditioning. I have to assume that if the team decided to hand him a LT deal for 17.15 million they must have done their due diligence on his level of commitment to conditioning his body. He would have to pass a physical to sign the deal so they obviously got a look at him. The Panda from November/December 2010 could not have passed a physical. So am I concerned about him despite the many questions left from the Shea article? No, I’m not……..

_______________________________________________________________

Retro Tiempo!

It’s April 18th, 1987. The Giants were down 1-0 going to the 9th against the Braves. Candy tied it with a single in the 9th, Thrill ended it with a single in the 10th. 22,054 fans attended…….

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 4, 2012 at 7:47 am

Dear Pablo, My own cholesterol levels were checked recently. Came out pretty good, not bad. Doctor told me to improve the so-called good cholesterol — and can only be done via exercise, he says. Here’s the kicker: my mother’s number were better by 1. She’s 95. Adios, Pablo K.

2. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

I am hereby sulking and pouting because not one of you crudburger-debating, salad-tossing, caloric-contentious feckwads said one fecking syllable about my real-life Ben Gazzara story yesterday.

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

Who cares? He was old, tell us about someone we should give a shit about..

• Alleykat said, on February 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

Nice shot back at Loo ,Twin…

Pawlie…It was a good read,Especally getting the nod of approval from Ben on your comment.To bad he didn’t throw a used towel at u (Mean Joe Green) when he left..

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 8:50 am

I enjoyed the story, Pawlie, thanks for sharing it. But he was short, eh? I thought that would strike a chord our with our Keebler guy.

• Nipper said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:18 am

Of course I remember his “Run for Your Life” Series on TV many years ago. He played many memorable roles in films and the theatre too. He appeared in Cassavetes films with other great actors. I always liked “The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.” Very non Hollywood. He would appear in low grade movies too like “Roadhouse” playing the no good villian.

3. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

If he’s fat again it woud be evident, as it was at the was at the end of 2010. It’s a nonstory, Bochy putting the needle in, so to speak, is just his manager urging him to shed the few extra pounds left to go. There were questions before last season with the usual suspects doubting his conditition. Basically, these people would claim he weighed 300 if he was 230.Even dumber is the idea that that Schulman would look an at an overweight, out of shape Pablo and declare “he looks great”. And don’t give me crap about “well, he’s the beat writer”. I know a the beat writer’s job, I had to teach most of you about it. None of the beat writers lied about or covered up Panda’s condition when he was out shape, and none are stupid enough to do it now. Again, nonstory.

4. Big flavor said, on February 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

Pawlie– I’ve still got no idea who the hell that dude is…
    Twin– it would have been a non-story if not for the clouded, info-less article written by Shea. The picture and the caption for the pic is misleading and the article hardly does anything to answer the questions raised by it.

• Alleykat said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

Flav….I don’t know if you have seen Roadhoue with Swayze and Elliot both bar bouncers,any Ben Garzzara was the guy who owned the town and people in it bascially.Real asshole fuckin with anyone who got in his way.

• Big flavor said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

No I don’t watch too many movies. But thanks.

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

Well, I have to admit, I don’t get all misty eyed when an old person I’ve never heard of dies..

5. Alleykat said, on February 4, 2012 at 8:58 am

Listen up Flaps…Bochy was on Razor’s show last night and when Razor brought up the weight issue (and it was the 1st ? out of the box) Bochy said he’s got a few pounds to take off.But nothing like 2010 when he was “Out of Control”.

6. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:01 am

Writers often blow non-stories up. All the time. Maybe my 50+ years of following the game just makes me less inclined to buy everything. If anyone thinks writers would be covering for Pablo, they’re frigging idiots. “Fatso shows up” would the kindest thing we’d read..

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

Excuse me, that was too kind. “Fatso rolls into town” would be more like it.

7. Big flavor said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:04 am

I remember having high hopes for Roger Mason, unsure why. He only started 5 games for us this year (appearances too).

8. Big flavor said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:17 am

Again, my main beef with the Shea article is the picture and the caption. Writers have no say and often no knowledge of headlines/pictures/captions etc so I think I was too hard on Shea. But the fucking picture/caption guy has some explaining to do! 😉

9. Big flavor said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

P–Kokonuts: just read your Gazarra story. Nice. And all famous people are smaller and shorter than you think, right?

10. Alleykat said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Bottom line the Giants can’t baby sit him 24/7.The 5 months after the season ends.If he plays winter ball thats fine,but once he decides.to go visit mama and relatives after that is when he packs the extra pounds on.But hey he has the rights to see his family like anyone else.Doub’t his family really know much about baseball,and give a shit about what they put in front off him at the dinner table.And Pablo doesnt want to show them disrespect by saying “No Mas”.

11. St said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

I wasn’t offended by Loo’s comment even though my dad is 87 and has had his share of med issues. I was with him a few weeks ago when he had a mild heart attack and at that point, I can assure you, I wasn’t thinking he’s had a good life. When the ambulance arrived, he saw the fear and panic in my eyes and said to me, don’t worry kid, I ain’t done yet.
    He came home last week and is looking forward to another G’s season. His prediction again this year: Cain will win 20.

12. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

What’s offensive is the presumption that he considered himself the arbiter of whose death is wothy of “sadness”. ST, your post is contradictory. Would it offend it you if it was someone you knew or respected?
    “I can assure you, I wasn’t thinking he’s had a good life”.. well, that was Loo’s point, that Gazzara had a good run so fuck sadness at his passing.

• St said, on February 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

Life is full of contradictions.

I was agreeing with you about age dying. And I guess giving Loo the benefit of the doubt. It was in poor taste.

13. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

Is it sad or not sad that a wife beater commited suicide the other day?

• DJLoo said, on February 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Was he over 80?

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm

It was Cornelius. He was 70 but it seems his transgressions should put him in the “not sad” category…
        There seems to be some controversy about how long midgets live and whether these people really eat little children. I know I accidentally ran over one with a shopping cart years ago but I don’t know that it bothered me enough to rise to the level of actually caring. It seems to me that he should have learned to stay out of the way of normal people… Ok, though, I feel a little bad that he didn’t make it. I sent his wife a neat T-Shirt though…
        shirt

14. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

It’s kind of funny, though- if you’re over 50 there is a substantial portion of the population, probably including your kids, who figure you’ve already shot your wad. Trust me- they’re already selecting electronics purchases with the money you will presumably leave them 😉
    Kids are pretty shallow.That’s why you never get on a plane with a teen idol. If it goes down, it’s just as well you’re not around to hear “OMG, Justin Bieber was killed in a plane crash….uh, Dad too..”

15. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Last year mentioning Tim’s diet was verboten, now mentioning that he’s abandoning it is off limits as well.
    “No more In-N-Out: Tim Lincecum said he has dropped 20 pounds since November, to 175, and is ending a one-year “experiment” of bulking-up to boost endurance.
    “I think I kind of went overboard putting on the weight and not knowing how to control it,” he said. “Your knees start to bother you, and your ankles. Getting away from that has made it a lot easier for me.”
    Then he’s already fudging, maybe he will just eat two maybe… this is of course normal discussion for a kid who only had an “occasional” burger or two. Anyway, he lost the weight and good for him- 197 on that body is Porko City.,.

16. Bozo said, on February 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Speaking of fat. Today started my high caloric weekend. As most of you know, I live a long way from anything. In my SF days, this weekend would be heavy on the betting and heavy on the drinking at a local or a few. I don’t normally gamble much (one vice I managed to side step somehow), but SB weekend as well as the NCAAs I’d bet everything and anything while drinking heavy. Since I live so far out now, I can’t really hang in a bar all day so it’s pack in the supplies and instead of betting, eat (yeah, I kept the drinking heavy as a part of this holiday). Being in a pool or the off bets was a good way for me to stay involved in a game that even if I couldn’t give a rat’s ass about it. So instead of the betting it is now eating, it won’t help with the game but I’m still having fun with it. Twin, I’m posting my final menu for the weekend over on your thread.
    Have a safe and sane Super Bowl Sunday (Weekend) Flappers.
    And, cheers y’all

• Bozo said, on February 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Jeez, this whole post was about how I used to be heavier on the green(s.) Time for another Jack and Ginger.
      Yee Haw.

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Holy moley, Bozo, that’s some weekend of eating. I couldn’t get any crab so it’s my stand by-pan fried chicken…
      chick

• DJLoo said, on February 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Sad ending for those chickens. They had their whole lives ahead of them. At least those crabs were able to avoid your evil plans.

• twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Well, I wanted to use 80 year old chickens so I wouldn’t have to feel sorry for them but it seems they’re only available for the Pho trade..
        pho

17. zumie said, on February 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Did any of us know that Tim was intentionally trying to gain weight last year? Well, it’s the first I’ve heard of it anyway.

18. zumie said, on February 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I purchased a copy of Lindy’s baseball magazine today (Matt Cain on the cover.)
    And I heard some of the KNBR coverage of FanFest.
    Baseball season has officially started for me.

19. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on February 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm

63 … (sigh)

20. TedSpe said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Just catching up.
    Wow.
    Anyway, I took DJLoo’s comment yesterday about Ben Gazzara’s passing for what it was. After all–what the fuck does *he* know? (insert gay-ass smiley face)
    Thanks for the story Pawlie and thanks for the recognition, twin. Gazzara was one of my acting heroes. I don’t give a fuck how old anyone is. When someone you’ve admired your whole life for their contributions to the arts and entertainment passes away, it calls for a moment. It *is* sad.
    He was still working. He was still contributing. To the end. It *was* sad that time caught up with him. But like Loo said, we just have to strive to keep going on without him.
    My favorite living actor is Christopher Lee. He will be 90 year’s old this year if he makes it.
    90 year’s old.
    And when he passes, I will say– it’s sad

21. TedSpe said, on February 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Oh yeah, Brian. Yes Gazzara *did* play Al Capone in a piece of shit film called-wait for it-CAPONE.
    With a pre=ROCKY Sylvestor Stalllone as Frank Nitti. John Cassavetes was in it as well. Gazzara and Cassavetes did it just for the paycheck to help finance one of Cassavetes’ own films.
    And now back to our regularly scheduled programming…..

22. Nipper said, on February 5, 2012 at 7:58 am

I can’t wait for “PUPPY BOWL!”

23. Sarge said, on February 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

Went to fan fest, not a complete waste of time. Way too crowded to really enjoy, though. If there continue to be 35,000 people showing up, they should add a second day, or maybe charge a small fee $5 or so. It was great to be at the ball yard. Bring on opening day!

24. willieD said, on February 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

The late Charlie spoonhour was a good coach, minimalist keep it simple stupid type. The missouri valley conference where he got sw mo st going has long been a tough conference for b-ball; former warrior winston garland played for him there. Be patient, run your O and play good d philosophy…lot of good ball handling drills and offensive move stuff from wing in a book of his I read.
    calipari/pitino type, he wasn’t.

25. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 10:25 am

Had another seizure last night, went to ER, this probably seals the deal on my surgery Friday. If you care to read about the procedure:
    I still plan on a nice plate of pan fried chicken for the game, though. And a big nap, these feel like being on the losing end of a 15 rounder. So here we go again…

26. ewisco said, on February 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

good luck twin.

27. unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

Man. Once more into the breach. Good thoughts heading your way, Twin.

28. SanDawg said, on February 5, 2012 at 11:30 am

I haven’t been on the blog in a while, so I wanted to chime in on the 2 most interesting topics I’ve come across while catching up: Izzy’s Burger Spa and the death of Ben Gazzara. My family has a place on south shore and I’ve always been amazed by the sheer number of burger joints up there. I dig Izzy’s (although what the hell is a “burger spa” anyway?) and am also a fan of the Sno-Flake Drive-In. Used to often hit the place near Camp Richardson with a giant mug of root beer mounted on the sign when I was a kid. (I think it has now gone a bit upscale as a Burgers n Beer place) Brian, I’d love to see you post a quick ranking of the current Tahoe burger joints. When I think of Izzy’s, I think of smoke bellowing out the roof of that place like the roof is on fire.
    As for Gazzara, I will always association him with his great performance as Ghandi. Pawlie—I loved your story! Funny you mentioned “Husbands” as the obit in the SD paper specifically mentioned the great chemistry those guys had in that movie and I told myself I was gonna look for it on Netflix. I love Boomer E as a commentator (I thought he and Howard David were outstanding together a few years back doing MNF on radio) and he often will say the QB is doing his best Ben Gazzara imitation when constantly getting rushed. He will then drop the “Run for your Life” reference. I first remember Gazzara playing the dad in the TV movie “The Death of Richie.” Robby Benson played his drug-addict son. I was in the 7th grade and my parents made me watch it with them and it absolutely scared the shit out of me.

Twin—my thoughts are with you—you’re a courageous dude.

Brian—Tahoe burger rankings—SOON. We can get away with shit like this for another 10 days or so.

Willie—love the Spoonhour post. Aztecs continue to impress. Did you happen to see the Jamal Franklin reverse follow-slam last night? It was awesome.

Happy Super Bowl everyone! (ps ghandi line was a joke)

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

1. Maybe Ben Gazzara was NOT short. He was sitting down. Slight. He seemed slight. But may I myself felt slight that day. Who knows?
    2. Thanks for all the attention to my sulking. It’s all about me.
    3. Beyond “good thoughts,” I am neither ashamed nor afraid to declare that at church today when prayers were asked for the sick, one of two names I mentioned was the name of “Michael S—-.” I don’t think the Creator Supreme Ground of Being Pulse of the Cosmos cares what we call these, but I do believe they matter. Somehow they have an effect. I don’t know how or why. But I’m sure of that.

30. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 11:45 am

Don’t know if the story is true or not but I recall reading that Alan Ladd stood on a box for some scenes in Shane…
    ladd

31. Alleykat said, on February 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Twin,My thoughts and prayers are with you big guy.Even Ali and Frazier both looked liked they lost after their fights,and both needed extra hospital care after their last fight.

32. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I appreciate all your thoughts, I wasn’t going to do updates but they help especially as another surgery approaches. I still live alone with Zeke and Mickey, so lucky you- you’re my outlet. I am hoping my daughter can come, but it’s not a certainy. My friend Bea will drive me down and another friend will watch the animals. The plan is a 3-4 day stay, but it went to 3 weeks last year. I’ll get a phone if anyone wants to say hello or just fart into the phone..

33. DJLoo said, on February 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Just realized Gazzara was in one of my favorite movies – Buffalo ’66.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Personally I think Billy should have killed Scott Woods. He cost him ten grand and five yrs in the joint. As it relates to Gazzara (his affiliation with Cassavetes) this was said about ’66…”the song choices, the gorgeously bleak ’70s-style photography, the John Cassavetes-like intensity of the melodrama—all evoke an era far removed from contemporary life.”

34. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

TF, I know we have our differences. Mostly in good fun (I hope). But I mean this sincerely: Best of luck.
    I’m rooting for ya like my Derby horse coming down the stretch.

35. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I guess I better make a prediction before kickoff otherwise you guys will call me a bullshiter (more than usual) when I claim I had the winner.

Patriots 34 Giants 24

If the MVP isn’t Tom Terrific, I’ll take a swing with Patrick Chuck. The former Duck maybe intercepts a pass or blocks a punt or kick.

How’s this for a push? Kelly Clarkson just sang the National Anthem in 1:34. The O/U was 1:34.
    I’ve always said the Vegas bookmakers should run the country. Smartest people in the world.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Patrick “Chung” No one named Chuck has ever been the MVP of anything.
      Well, if striking out at the whorehouse is a category. Move over Edith Head. We got a new guy wanting to dress up.

• DJLoo said, on February 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Chuck Howley was…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

The Super Bowl was won with defense. Huh. I think I’m too dense to comprehend this concept…….

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

!

36. paulinasia said, on February 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hope all ye Flappers are enjoying the Super Bowl (those of you who are watching). I passed up getting up at 5am to hit one of the two bars in town that are showing it. Off to work now. Good luck, Michael, as always, thoughts are with you…

37. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Dennis, please find someone else to annoy. I really don’t need your act right now.I’m going delete my posts to you, now leave me alone. It’s not “good fun” to wish me luck on my surgery and follow it up by fabricating what I post.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I have finally decided to admit it: Alex Smith is the greatest quarterback the world has ever seen…….

38. Big flavor said, on February 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Hey– just got back into town. Twin, all the vets have said all there is to say. Every time these operations come up, we have your back. Always have, always will. Hang in there.

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

The Giants are STILL getting all the lucky breaks. They should have lost two fumbles already.
    I think “T-Blow” is wasting his time praying to God. He’s a Giants fan.

40. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Terrible clock management by the lucky team. They burned another TO.
    But I’ve always said, I’d rather be lucky than good.

• Big flavor said, on February 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Actually what you’ve always said is that teams that don’t *deserve* to win shouldn’t win and wouldn’t get your support– but it’s nice to have some outs to fit the moment, right Denny?

41. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

There’s a difference between “good fun” and lyng about what I said and doing it, by your own admission, strictly to annoy. If you get shit from from me it’s because of the threats and your obssessive hatred for Smith. Leave others others out of of this.

42. Bozo said, on February 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I’m just thinking about how much money I saved by not betting on the game. The only thing that I may have gotten was the NA in under 2 minutes, but I read the under changed to 1:34 and it was a push unless you got it at 2.
    So what do we have now, 13 days until ST?.

• Big flavor said, on February 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Like you said, at least you steered clear of the gambling vice….
      Pretty good game though. Can you imagine the lifelong lore of the NE TE if he catches that deflected hail Mary?
      Dial a shot’s for fucking life!

43. zumie said, on February 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm

If I’m not wrong, I think the term “high ankle sprain” is actually a euphemism for torn ligaments in the leg above the ankle. There just isn’t any way to come back from that quickly. I’ve done it twice over the years in pick-up basketball games, and both times I was on crutches for a month.
    The NE tight-end with the “sprain” was never going to be much of a factor. It affected NE’s game. But no one’s going to feel sorry for Belichick and Brady, and why should they.

44. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Goodnight. Actually slept through a lot of the game, and flipped back and forth to the Law and Order marathon. Maybe I’ll watch it tomorrow. Haven’t word on Sandoval- so strange that this fatty was able to avoid detection…