A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Billy Beane is Full of Shit

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 10, 2012

I watched MoneyBall  the morning of the NFC Championship Game–needed to take the edge off before the big game. Assuming it’s true that Boston offered him a gig to be the highest paid GM in baseball (at the time) I have to conclude that Billy Beane is nothing but a smoke and mirrors guy. He NEEDS the built in excuse that he’s always going to have while he toils away in Oakland. He can’t lose.  Maybe it’s a self esteem thing. As long as he cries about not having any money to sign the players needed to be competitive he can keep re-building and re-starting the franchise for as long as he chooses. It must be nice to be a genius that can’t win because he’s shackled by the inequities of a failed system. That’s what he wants everyone to believe anyway…..

Since 2006, the A’s have had an average team payroll of $62,000,000 per season. Beane cries and moans that this means he can’t win.

So sad. The whole world is against him. If only the playing field was level. His great genius would dwarf us……

In 2010 the Giants won the World Series with a payroll of $96,000,000. But $32 million of that was being paid to Barry Zito and Aaron Rowand–two guys who had nothing to do with that Series win. Take their dead pay out and you get $64,000,000 for your payroll…….

I’m just sayin’……..

1. ewisco said, on February 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

and then there are the freaking marlins. and the twins for that matter. or Tampa. these are NOT big market teams and yet they find a way to the post season. There was a time when the ROY came through oakland. when was the last young talent they found? KS is nice behind the dish and all but it seems like the position players aren’t there. and they trade the young pitching as soon as possible. BB is resting on his laurels and it must be nice. If it was me, I’d rest on the chest of the bbotd.

2. Nipper said, on February 11, 2012 at 5:28 am

Yeah but Brad Pitt played him. How many guys can say that?

3. Bozo said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:24 am

Beano had his run. Of all the talk of his stat heavy picks the one stat that doesn’t seem to be mentioned much is his way of getting supplemental picks. I don’t know much about the draft in Baseball but it would seem getting five picks in the first round has a greater chance of succeeding than just getting one. Baseball figured out that one and I’m pretty sure changed the rules to level the playing field for everyone else.
    Having Beano as the tool for the stadium thing (maybe I shouldn’t call him beano since I still get gas when I think about the guy) well, that just cracks me up. For years I heard nothing but shit from As fans on the Stick and how the Coliseum was so much better. Oaktown brings home the Raiders and screws up their little park. How do I feel sorry for those guys considering the carpetbag owners at the time took the monies and ran. They say we can’t compete without a new stadium and it has to be San Jose, fuck that. That is just where Wolfie wanted to be, he didn’t want anything to do with Oaktown. And a new stadium doesn’t always translate to dollars. Just look at the Pirates and Brewers it took them awhile to figure out that besides the ballpark you need to field a competitive team. So an owner has to understand, if you make money you have to put it back into the team. I’m not now or have I ever been a fan of the As, as far as I’m concerned they could become the AAA team of the Yankees. And Beane, well he can go fuck himself.

• Flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 7:13 am

San Jose obviously has a lot of Giants fans. I know several of them. I can’t imagine even one of them deciding to become an A’s fan. If the stadium was in their backyard they wouldn’t do it—maybe they go to a game or two just as a novelty. Big mistake, in my opinion, for the A’s to move there……..

4. Black and Orange said, on February 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

Moneyball was a good movie but the way they changed and omitted major facts about the A’s that year almost ruined it. I know Hollywood always changes facts for “true” stories like this, but the actual facts of the story complete contradict the themes of the movie. The worst offenders:

1) “There’s rich teams, then poor teams, then 50 feet of crap, then us” – There were two other MLB teams with lower payrolls than the A’s in 2002, and about 5 others who were just a couple million dollars higher.

2) That the A’s were a no-name, team-oriented squad devoid of individual superstars – the 2002 A’s produced arguably the two best individual players in the American League (Cy Young winner Barry Zito and MVP Miguel Tejada)

3) The epilogue that acknowledges that the A’s again lost in the first round of the playoffs but that the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series by “following the A’s strategy” – Bullshit. The 2004 Red Sox won the title by copying the YANKEES strategy, increasing their payroll by $30 million over the previous year to the second-highest total in baseball, signing a bunch of free agents and gutting their farm system to acquire Curt Shilling from the D-Backs.

5. zumie said, on February 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I have the “Moneyball” Netflix DVD at home, and am trying to work up the desire to watch it. I’ve gotten sidetracked by Season One of “Fringe,” an interesting sci/fi series.