A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Angel Villalona, Come on Down!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 11, 2012

I don’t know about you guys, but if I worked for the Giants I would volunteer with both hands up to be the team rep who greets Villalona when he gets off the plane next week. This guy was either in jail or under house arrest for 2 years. What kind of shape is this guy in? He was already a pretty big cat. He’s listed at 6’3 200 lbs but I could see him being a doughy 250 (or more) easily. For his sake, I hope he’s traveling *business class*.

He’ll be starting his career all over again, most likely in San Jose. Heck, he’s only 21, who knows what he’s going to do. But he was a strikeout machine BEFORE all this happened. Whatever the minor league strike out record is for a season I expect him to challenge it……

Between all the fake murder plot accusations and the kidnappings of ballplayers (and their family members) I don’t understand why a player with ANY money at all would ever return back to their homeland. You’re just a target, you’re asking for major trouble. In fact, if you’re a relative of a player still in the Dominican and you find out your uncle just scored a big mlb contract your first reaction is probably “Oh, shit. I’m fucked.”

I don’t care or even have an opinion about Villalona and the murder charge that was dismissed. All we know is that he paid a sizable settlement to the victim’s family. That doesn’t necessarily mean he did it. But I’m am all for some good theater and having him show up for Spring Training definitely qualifies as such. The photographers should all have their cameras set to *wide angle* when they try to fit him in a *shot*………

_______________________________________________________________________

Retro Tiempo Bebe

Sunday, October 5th, 1987. The final day of a season where we finished in first place. We beat the Braves in 10 innings on a walk off Bob Brenly home run. Randy Bockus got the win. Drafted in the 34th round by the Giants in 1982, it was his first career win. He would go on to record one more in his career…….

1. St said, on February 11, 2012 at 7:44 am

I read he’s been working out at the G’s domincan facility since he was exonnerated, so maybe he won’t be so out of shape. We’ll see.
    Think he’s a long shot to ever make an impact now at the big league level, becuse I question his determination and work ethic, but see no downside to giving him the opportunity.

2. St said, on February 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thumbs up to twinfan. Glad to hear the surgery went well.

3. TedSpe said, on February 11, 2012 at 8:07 am

———————————————————————————————————————–
    hahahaha. Too fucking funny

4. Big flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

ST– maybe you know more about AV than I do but I’m not sure how you can question his work ethic. Dude’s been locked up, I’d say his ability to work has been fairly restricted, lol

• St said, on February 11, 2012 at 8:42 am

Jails there don’t have gyms? 😉

Actually, he’s been free since November 2009.

You’re the one saying he’s huge, suggesting you don’t think much of his work habits, discipline etc..

I question his work ethic based on things I’ve read, pre arrest. Getting 2 m as a 16 yr old may have something to do with that. Hopefully, I’m wrong. I hope he can turn it around.

5. willieD said, on February 11, 2012 at 9:04 am

Lots of former stars live large in DR; it’s every kid’s dream that signs up at age 15 to make it big and buy a house for his family. Robinson Cano is 3rd generation to try and hit big time, and i’m sure he lives very nice there like the Sosas and Andujars. Vill’s story is the rare exception, not the rule.
    It’s a poor country, and kids get fed regularly, housed in a dorm and a chance to play ball at the Academies run by mlb clubs if they are good enough, and are eligible to be signed to contracts as skinny 15 yr olds. Next stop if you are lucky enough to get signed to a contract (money usually goes to an agent and the family) is usa in the low minors, often a rude awakening for kids with little english and without much ed background.
    god forbid you are not good enough and get released, because now you are technically an illegal alien, and your options are go back home in disgrace or find a relative in nyc or miami to take you in.
    I’m willing to give the kid a clean slate and see if he can play ball well enough to make it here. I’m sure he is well aware of the alternatives.

• Alleykat said, on February 11, 2012 at 11:44 am

Rock Solid Post Willie D.Agree totally.

6. Flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

St– I’m guessing he’s huge because I read that he was either in jail or under house arrest for 2 years, not because I thought he didn’t work hard when he had the opportunity.

7. Nipper said, on February 11, 2012 at 11:02 am

Can the guy hit? If he can welcome back aboard.

8. zumie said, on February 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I told this story before on the Flap, but what the heck, I’ll repeat it: Villalona gave me a baseball. I was at a San Jose Giants game, and was sitting real close. A foulball dribbled over to Villalona, who was in the on-deck circle, and he picked it up and gave a look to the crowd, as if intending to toss it to any fan, and I held up my glove, and he tossed it right to me.
    OK, I didn’t say it was a RIVETING story. (grin)

9. Michael said, on February 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Still no room. Very hard to type-so I’ll just say I’m OK.:you can call the hospital

10. Alleykat said, on February 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

The dude i want to see make some huge progress this year is 3B Chris Dominguez.Has to cut down on his K’s, increase his BB total (sounds like a broken record with the Giants) and needs major improvememt on fielding at 3rd.
    But this guy has tremendous “Light Tower Power”) could probably get one close to the Big Mitt.
    This ST the Giants should invite both Angel Villalona and Chris Dominguez to camp just for a “HR” contest after pratice, I would pay to see that….Money on Dominguez for me.

11. Flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Still no room, Twin? What the fuck? Where are you, hanging out in a hallway?
    I just got back from coaching my girls bball team. David Shaw’s girl was on the opposing team and as you might expect she is an outstanding athlete. Shaw kept encouraging his daughter to basically play a zone and guard multiple girls which is illegal in this league. The refs did nothing about it until the SECOND time that I told them to call her on it. Shaw gave me a look like “hey, it’s just Y basketball” and I looked right back at him like “why the fuck did you go for the FG instead of the TD?”
    By the end of the game Shaw was clearly visibly frustrated because every time she tried to play a zone I would yell at the refs to call her on it and they did every time. Fuck him.
    We were tied at the end of 3 and lost by 4 buckets……

12. Michael said, on February 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I still in neurosurgery ICU call there

13. Flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Finally got a hold of Twin in the ICU. They asked me for a password. I was like, “Um, just go tell him I’m calling him, I don’t know the freaking password.”
    Talked to him, he’s beat to hell, but he sounds positive. They’ll know more after the MRI tomorrow. His speech is altered a little but he sounds strong…….

• DJLoo said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:06 pm

The password is:
      “DUNDERHEAD”

• Alleykat said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Or “Fuckwad”

• Flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm

actually I thought of like 10 of these (in about 2 seconds including these 2) but I decided fucking with the nurse was a bad idea……
        Loo–you better break those galoshes out again (at least for visitors 🙂 ) , Lin is going insane in the box score. I’m not sweatin’ the Dubs letting him go, he was never gonna play much on our team. And you really can’t get an idea of what most guys can do until. you play them in games. Iverson had at least THAT right about *practice*……

14. Flavor said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Twin beat Whitney Houston. Now who had THAT in the fucking pool?!?!?!?!?!!

• TedSpe said, on February 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Not I. Pretty fucking shocking

• Nipper said, on February 12, 2012 at 9:14 am

Show business kills them early.

15. Michael said, on February 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm

They say ask for password if info asked about the patient.

• Alleykat said, on February 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Twin….Maybe they should of asked you to do a Lighting Round of Password with.Alan Ludden.

16. willieD said, on February 12, 2012 at 7:41 am

Braves were just happy to get out of Dodge in 87, as they lost 92 games despite Murph’s 44 HRs and .997 OPS…primarily because of a team ERA of 4.63, with no starter being under 4.00. And followed that up by going 54-106 in 88.
    I got my hair cut yesterday, and two Viet gals in there that are b-ball fans that I talk to were high fiving me over J Lin. They have a TV set up and were watching him Friday night, and the Duke game was on while I was there

17. zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 7:47 am

I watched “Moneyball.” Good film. It’s entertaining, without being sentimental or schlocky, and gives the viewer a bit of the “inside” world of baseball. No doubt it fudges some facts, but its primary objective is to be a good film, and it is.

18. zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 7:49 am

From an article at the Giants’ website:

Joe Panik is another first-round bat opening eyes within the Giants’ front office. The Giants’ top choice in ’11 has yet to draw widespread attention and admiration like Brown, but Evans believes the second baseman is worthy of being included at the highest level during Spring Training.

“He had a full half season of baseball when he could have easily taken time off. It’s a strong message and part of why he will be looked at in Major League camp this spring. He went out and earned it,” Evans said of Panik, who hit .341 with six home runs, 54 RBIs and 13 stolen bases with short-season Class A Salem-Keizer and later hit .323 with two home runs and 13 RBIs in the Arizona Fall League.

“He earned an opportunity. We didn’t fast track in the Minor Leagues season, but we did in AFL, and he showed he can compete at that level. He’s a go-getter and has tremendous bat control and we like his defensive skills. He’s come quickly as well.”

The rapid development of Brown and Panik represents two of the stronger chips in what Evans believes to be unprecedented strength in the Giants’ system.

“The system is as strong is as it’s ever been. The reality is that the Drafts have been very good and we’ve certainly been successful in the system for a sustained period of time,” Evans detailed.

Top 20 Prospects

Brown takes the No. 1 spot within a top 10 that is loaded with bats. Following Brown is outfielder Francisco Peguero (No. 2), who spent the bulk of ’11 in Double-A Richmond. Slugging catcher Tommy Joseph (No. 5), who smacked 22 home runs and drove in 95 runs with San Jose last season, is followed by a pair of second baseman in Charlie Culberson (No. 6) and Panik (No. 7). Culberson has to work on his plate discipline but comes off a season in which he hit 10 home runs and 34 doubles in Double-A.

Shortstop Ehire Adrianza (No. 8) is one of the best defenders in the system, while third baseman Chris Dominguez (No. 9), who hit 18 home runs and drove in 85 runs between San Jose and Richmond, is a spot ahead of fellow third baseman Conor Gillaspie (No. 10).

Right-handed reliever Heath Hembree (No. 3) is the system’s top arm, ahead of 2008 sixth-round pick Eric Surkamp (No. 4). Surkamp went 10-4 with a 2.02 ERA and 165 strikeouts in Double-A last season. Right-handers Clayton Blackburn (No. 11) and Joan Gregorio (No. 12) both spent last season in the rookie-level Arizona League. Kyle Crick (No. 16), a 2011 compensatory pick, and Josh Osich (No. 19), last season’s sixth-round pick, round out the Giants’ top arms.

Hector Sanchez (No. 13) and ’11 second-round pick Andrew Susac (No. 15) fill out the Giants’ catching depth. Outfielder Jesus Galindo (No. 14) made his U.S. debut last season. First baseman Ricky Oropesa (No. 17) and Adam Duvall (No. 18) offer depth at the infield corners. Outfielder Jarrett Parker (No. 20) slugged 13 home runs for San Jose in ’11.

19. Nipper said, on February 12, 2012 at 8:47 am

How about a Flapper attending ST this season? .

20. Nipper said, on February 12, 2012 at 9:12 am

GO TWIN! Pinch a nurse for me.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 11:49 am

Lefty is paired up with Tiger and is kicking his ASS thru the first six holes (-5). [no jinx]

I get to watch Phil AND Tony Romo Sunday at Pebble. Lucky me.

• Bozo said, on February 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Drink irresponsibly my friend.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Bozo, you wouldn’t be disappointed my friend.
        But you wouldn’t be my friend if I neglected to say…

FUCK YOU!!!

• Nipper said, on February 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Stay thirsty!

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Phil just shot 31 on the front 9 at Pebble. Tiger? 38

The only time you want to hear that number is when your wife is picking out bras.

23. Michael said, on February 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Or Phil is picking out bras..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm

touché

• Craig Vaughan said, on February 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm

that was fucking funny…

24. eddacker said, on February 12, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I love you guys.
    Great news Twin.
    Pebble you say? Pitchers and Catchers? March Madness?
    looking forward to sharing with all of you.

How about my man Miguel at third base? Hot corner. Voggy gets it done. Pablo poundless. And England beating Italy in Rome in the snow. I am excit_edd and ready, so Take me out to the ballgame!

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I wonder what shooting 64 on Sunday to win at Pebble feels like?

I guess I better go ask the other “Big Titty.”

• zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Pfffft. Golf. A far better day at Pebble Beach would be to rent a bicycle and take the 17-mile ride along that beautiful coast. For a fairly low price a hi-tech bike can be rented, the kind with very groovy shock-absorbers. An excellent, smooth ride.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm

You’d rather exercise on a bike than sit on your ass in the comfort of your own home in your underwear and drink beer, stuff your face with chips, dips, wings, dings, ribs, nibs, cookies, candy, pizza and more beer than watch golf?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Surely you can’t be serious.

26. zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I bought another baseball magazine today. This one is the Athlon one. It’s easy to find the Giants in these kinds of magazines. They generally put the AL East at the front, so they can have the Red Sox and Yankees at the beginning of the magazine. That means the NL West will be the last division in the magazine. And if the magazine is doing the divisional teams in alphabetical order, that means the last team in these magazines is usually…..our SF Giants, right after the SD Padres.

• DJLoo said, on February 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Those magazines were a must for me in the pre-computer days, Zumie. Used to be desperate for any Giant info any way I could get it. How does Athlon like the Giants? Or did you start from the beginning?

• zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I always read the Giants article first in these magazines, and Athlon is optimistic that the Giants will challenge for the division title. They love the pitching staff, and are impressed with the way the Giants have kept their outstanding bullpen together. They’re not thrilled with the outfield, and are not big on Crawford hitting MLB pitching. They seem to think Huff is done. They’re intrigued by Belt.

• zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Belt
        Fontenot
        Burriss
        Stewart
        Pill

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I hate to say it, but of all the possibilities I think I like that projected lineup the best.
        Bochy best not run that set out there on a continuous basis. If so, I’ll have less to bitch and moan about.

• DJLoo said, on February 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’d hit Leche third, and move everyone else down. Why should our 200 hit guy bat 6th?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Because he’ll be lucky to have 150 hits this year.

27. DJLoo said, on February 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Thanks, Zumie.
    Can you believe were going into year 6 of Zito?

• zumie said, on February 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm

My biggest Zito memory so far is that horrific inning against KC, in interleague, several years ago, when he walked several guys and hit a couple more. The inning lasted forever. I got up and went outside for quite a while, and when I came back in I couldn’t believe the inning was still going.

• Alleykat said, on February 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

They won’t break up the cajun boys Zumie.So figure on Theriot to make the team instead of no hit Burriss.And speaking of no hit,Stewart can take a hike as well for Hector Sanchez for now.Bench would be stronger with those 2.IMO

28. Craig Vaughan said, on February 12, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Zito Year 6. Yes, that is a wild thought to process. And we have Year 7 still to come. And then there is the huge question mark in 2014. Do the Giants exercise their buy out (7 fucking million) or do they pay him another 18 million? Hard questions to answer. I might have to do a Zito right now….Hold on….

29. Michael said, on February 12, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I’m guessing Huff and Belt both start….