A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Barry Zito Makes More Money than You Do…

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 12, 2012

I’m not sure which is my more favorite website: 1) baseball-reference.com or 2) Cotts baseball contract website which was apparently purchased by baseballprospectus.com some time in the last year. Good for the dude who started that site.

Anyway, you get a lot of info at both. Barry Zito has been with us for 5 long, hard, arduous, painful (i could list off a lot of adjectives here but I’ll stop now) years and he’s about to start his 6th season as a Giant. Last year we saw a new approach to dealing with his failures: DL him witih a phantom injury. I’m assuming the club came up with this one in Year 2 or 3 but decided they couldn’t activate the plan until Year 5. I’m not saying Zito wasn’t hurt last year, he was. But his sprained ankle didn’t require even 1/5th of the DL time he spent (2 separate stints, right?). Expect the DL move to get used more often in 2012. The plan for 2013 might be to get him a gig as the next Spinal Tap drummer (that one was for ‘Tap enthusiasts, I hope there are some Flappers out there who claim that group)….

Let’s take a look at the contract, shall we?

Before the 2007 season he signed a 7 year/126 million dollar deal. Sabean’s contribution to *screwing* Boras was the *club option* in 2014. Ha, Sabes will have him right where he wants him come *club option* time!!!!!

Here’s what Zito’s made in his career:

Now, I’m not gonna say the A’s got the best years of this dude, cause Zito could go out and win 70 games over the next three years and show Beane he’s a penny pinching pussy and Sabean is a free-agent signing savant. But let’s just say that, for now, the A’s seem to have gotten the best years of Barry Zito. For n……o……w….

My favorite thing about the Zito contract? He gets a suite at every road game to pack his whores into. He’s married now so I’m not sure where he’s going to have his wife sit. Having her sit next to D’antoni’s 2 whores just seems uncouth. Problems waiting to happen. Oh well, he’s got the dough, he can buy a suite for his girl and her friends  too.

The last year of the deal is the best. There’s an 18 million dollar team option in 2014 if Zito pitches 200 innings in 2013 or 400 innings total in 2012+2013. But if this option vests, Zito can opt out and recieve a 3.5 million dollar buy out (theoretically allowing him a chance to hit the FA market again for ANOTHER 100 billion dollar deal). If the option doesn’t vest, the team gets to give him a 7 million dollar buy out for his *troubles*. So Zito better not hit his innings-vest number or he loses 3.5 million…..I know it wasn’t Sabean’s decision to sign Zito, it was a management team thing, but he got hoodwinked at best and fucked at worst on the back end of this contract…..

Anyway, this was my 5 minute Barry Zito Rant, of which they’re have been many. They beat Haiku by about a minute. Ok, now, dinner time. Have a good one…..

___________________________________________________________________

Retro…………..

It’s August 2nd, 1988. All in all, ’88 was a pretty disappointing year. We finished 4th, never led the division. This would have been a wild game to go to. Astros won 13-10. They scored 4 runs in 3 single innings. Reuschel started and got lit up. Bockus also got lit up. Two guys named Ron Davis and Roger Samuels pitched the final 3 (also getting lit up). Who are these guys?

1. Bozo said, on February 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Stumpy Joe was my favorite Tap drummer. RIP Stumpy Joe.

On the Showtime thing Zit said he wanted to own a diner. I think now would be a good time to realize that dream Barry. Many Giants fans would be more than happy to help you pick out the place mats and straws.

• Shady said, on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Abso-fucking-lutely RIP *Stumpy Joe*…. Between the ‘Tap references tonight and the fact that I introduced my daughter this morning to Inspector Clouseau vs Cato fight scenes on youtube, I am having a pretty good *retro* day. She fucking couldn’t get enough of them. There is something brilliant about Inspector Clouseau on levels that will forever have me LQTM. Peter Sellers was a comedic genius…..

• Bozo said, on February 13, 2012 at 5:22 am

No one will ever be sure exactly how drummer Stumpy Joe died: “You can’t really dust for vomit.” – Nigel Tufnel

2. Mount Shady said, on February 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

“you see honey, he’s a policeman and he has a butler. The butler does regular butler jobs but his MAIN job is to try to surprise Clouseau with an attack he didn’t see coming. By practicing how to deal with a surprise attack he will be ready for future attacks from people who are actually trying to hurt him. At the end of every scene the phone will ring, both guys will stop fighting and Clouseau will accept the *case* from the police commissioner. Then he will karate chop Cato and the scene will be over. Until the next scene that will be the same only slightly different…”
    I parented the fuck out of her today, lol. My favorite scene was Cato coming out of the freezer with ice all over him. Gold, baby.
    I watched a lot of ‘Tap and ‘Panther in college. We were in Oregon, it rained 400 days a year. There was nothing but pot (never got into it), chess, movies and very average looking women to attract our fancy…..

3. Nipper said, on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 am

How about a statue for Zito? It would be a nice touch to an inept career. Perhaps place it in one of the lots next to a dumpster.

4. Giant Head said, on February 13, 2012 at 5:14 am

5 minutes on Zito is 4 too many…go Sharks! Will be going tonight against the Caps…

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 6:06 am

5 mins spent on hockey is 5 minutes I could have spent on Zito.

5. St said, on February 13, 2012 at 6:34 am

Nyet to both shrks and zito.

6. willieD said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:46 am

Well, unfortunately, you can’t get K and K to diss the guy, they are his ultimate apologists and stick up for the guy every chance they get, one of the most disgusting parts of their whole reportage. I went to B-R and looked up his SF career numbers for the 5 yrs/ $80 mil SF has kicked in so far: 4.55 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and a total WAR of 3.8, which averages out to less than 1 WAR per season, or in other words the team would have been better off with a replacement player making a mil a year.
    Last year numbers, of course, worse than ever: 5.87 ERA, 10 bombs given up in 53 innings. I agree with Bozo–open up a diner, pls.
    Donell Nixon, i’m pretty sure, was Otis Nixon cousin. The O stole a ton of bases and had a nice (if short lived) career for the Expos and Braves, interrupted by a suspension for skiing in the ATL. Lamont and Tonelli on KSJO at the time when Giants and Braves were big rivals used to run a bit where they purported to call and talk to Otis Nixon’s grandmother, which was funny skit. Otis also had one of ESPN all time D plays for a leaping grab high above CF fence.

7. willieD said, on February 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

Addendum to Otis: roger craig was such a smart old fart…Otis had an SB streak of 30 some odd consecutive without getting thrown out going at one time in his heyday for ATL, but I saw Craig pitch out and the Giants gun him down at 2b to end an inning. Crafty dude in his day.

8. Kevin said, on February 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

Barry Barely Usefull Zito. what a complete and utter useless ball player. all the years he had better that a .500 record was with Oakland. 17-8 in 01, 23-5 in 02, and 16-10 in 06, other that those 3 years he pitched no better than .500 or worst. How could a GM, team ownership look at those numbers and determine someone was worth $126 Million?? I want what they were smoking, eating, injecting, snorting, cause whatever it was it sure did make them feel good!! Sabean laying on the couch says to Boras “Hey man, don’t bogart that!!”, pass it on

• zumie said, on February 13, 2012 at 10:34 am

I think it’s pretty well documented that it was an ownership over-reaction to the bad PR from the Bonds years. They wanted a “new face for the franchise.” Had they waited a little longer, that new face was arriving: Lincecum.

9. SanDawg said, on February 13, 2012 at 10:42 am

I think Donnell and Otis were brothers. Donnell broke his leg with the Mariners—I think it was bad—like near Bobby Valentine bad, but he fought back and had a little bit of a run in MLB.
    Was Stumpy Joe the Tap drummer who was also known as “The Peeper?”
    The Humm Baby loved the pitchout…..I remember him ordering two in a row on a few occasions and I even want to say I saw him order 3 in a row one time. I did’t care for all of Craig’s in-game maneuvering, I’m more of Cito Gaston guy myself, but I loved how he restored pride to the team and totally snuffed out all of the bitching about Candlestick. I’ve said it before, but in my book, he and Al Rosen palyed a huge part in turning this franchise around when they came on board.

10. Alleykat said, on February 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I remember Ron Davis…Came up with tthe Yanks,strickly a reliever but was lights out his.first 2 yrs going 23-5 in relief.Traded to the Twins racked up alot of saves.

11. Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm

A’s signed Cespedes? Surprising, i never read a single thing connecting them to him. Big mistake, that guy isn’t going to be very good…..

12. snarkk said, on February 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Giants ownership would get so much more respect from the fan base if they just cut Zito. Just adios, it’s been real. Get anybody else to be the #5. Anybody. The argument that he’s getting paid all that, so might as well use him — he’s as good a #5 as anybody else — is a crock. It’s a lie. His history here is like bad shoes. Put ’em away for a while, then try ’em again — they still don’t fit. They still hurt. He sucks the life out of the team when he pitches. Maybe he’ll be “injured” this year before he even leaves Scottsdale. Whatever cloak and dagger they use to hide him again, go ahead with it. We get it…

• Nipper said, on February 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Snarkk pissed?

13. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You have to wonder why they don’t just say fuck it and go with Surkamp.

• snarkk said, on February 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Would any serious Giant fans give a crap if the Giants just cut Zito? No. One day on the talk shows about how disastrous a deal it was, and then onto the next topic, since it’s already been done to death the last 5 years. He would not be missed, since he’s already been missing in plain sight…

14. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Seriously, Flav? For now? If he pitched .500 ball this year, they’d probably throw him a fucking parade.

43-61 is abominable. If he went 22-4 this yer, he’d REACH mediocre.

15. Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

there was dripping sarcasm there that I think you missed. I don’t ACTUALLY think that Zito is on the cusp of winning 70 games over the next 3 seasons…..

16. Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

however, if he won 50 over the next 2 years then goddamn right Sabes would pick up that option……

17. Bozo said, on February 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Looks like I’m going to Opening day. But, for the first time ever it won’t be the Giants. Going up to see the Nats and that just won’t be the same. Also, it looks like I’ll be up there for the Giants series in July, now that is something to look forward to (might even be able to squeeze in a Squirrel game on the way home).

• ewisco said, on February 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

atta clown!

18. Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Former 49ers wide receiver Freddie Solomon, who helped San Francisco win its first Super Bowl, died Monday. He was 59. Very sad.

• Bozo said, on February 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That is more than sad Flav. I didn’t read about it but man, that sucks.
      RIP Freddie.

19. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Wow. Way too young. That’s terrible.

20. Bozo said, on February 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

“As I kneeled before the throne of Solomon, the King of Kings said unto me, ‘There is more work to be done.’ ” – Freddie Solomon
    RIP Freddie.

21. Alleykat said, on February 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

RIP Freddie….RIP Whitney….RIP…Peter Breck..Big Nick Barkley Big Valley fame..

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm

What’s there to say about Barry Zito? I probably hung with him and supported him longer than most here, or anywhere, rooted in the flimsy emotional bond of seeing him pitch, and win, against the Phillies on a warm Sunday in 2009 at AT&T. I surrendered on that final weekend of the regular season in 2010 against the Padres, when he walked 2 runs in in inning 1. But even after that I rather liked how he comported himself when he was left off the postseason roster. What can one say? What can I say? Even if he went 25-0 in 2012, not in Triple A, he would not find redemption, would he? Not likely here. Or in most Giants’ fan venue. Hey, I’d even take 25-1.

23. zumie said, on February 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Such sad news about Solomon. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. He quietly did his job and did it well.

24. St said, on February 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I wouldn’t dump Zito now while Surkamp has options. Not that Eric was any better. Who else do they have if they dump Zits and a starter gets hurt? Bring back Misch? Suppan? Hmmmmm. I read Brad Hennessey was released by the Astros???

• St said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Of course if he’s as bad as last yr…they won’t have any choice. Trading Sanchez and not signing a FA pitcher leaves them awfully thin. Dump zits now and someone goes down…

25. macdog said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Pawlie has way better luck than me. I’ve had the not-so-good fortune of watching Zito pitch in each of the last two years I’ve seen the Giants play the Phils at CBB, including last year when Timmy was a late scratch, plus a game in the last year at Shea, whatever year that was. Not surprisingly, all were losses. Just fucking get rid of him already.

“I parented the fuck out of her today, lol.” Oh man, Flav, that just sounds so wrong and hilarious at the same time.

• DJLoo said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm

“Parented the fuck out of her” is outstanding…

• Mount Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed that. It WAS a joke. My parenting style, while very man-focused, is all she’s got. Katie doesn’t have any bros or sisters. Or a mom. I don’t use that type of language with her, ever. But she is being raised by a dad who calls her on her shit all the while appreciating she’s a 9 year old girl.
        As I’ve said many times, I’m not worried about Katie, I’m worried about the boys who will one day attempt to date her. I’m seriously not ready to deal with that with anything less than furious intimidation…….

26. twinfan1 said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Just saw about Freddie, that’s so sad. I’m home and not really great myself, but I’m alive. My brothers’s wife commited suicide last night so these aren’t happy times..
    I always thought Solomon was a class act, R.I.P

• Shady Flavor said, on February 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm

wife or ex-wife? Shit, that is INSANE. Glad you’re back, though. Check you’re email I forwarded you something from Pawlie.

• twinfan1 said, on February 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I saw your E- Mail: current wife. I don’t know details except she she shot herself, died at hospital. I didn’t of know it, but evidently she had drug problems.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:41 pm

My favorite [not funniest] Peter Sellers movie is “Being There.” Chance Gardner: “There will be growth in the spring.”

28. DJLoo said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:45 pm

How come no one ever really collected football cards?

• zumie said, on February 13, 2012 at 8:41 pm

What stats do you put on the back of the card of an offensive lineman?

29. twinfan1 said, on February 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Using one of my favorite metaphors, Bochy would dance in a Chorus Line if Zits won 10 games. I’d guess 10 between the 5’s…