A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Election Day! Cast Your Votes……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2012

Well, you’re not electing anyone. And there are probably more interesting polls to vote on, these were just off the top of my head before the coffee fully kicks in. But what else do you have to do this morning? I mean, besides enter the “Write that Caption” contest at the BBOTD Page…….

If both start the season slowly, who is more likely to get released? I don’t think this question is as easy to answer as you think. The Giants are already paying Rowand 12 million this year to stay away from the team. They only owe Huff 11 million and they’ve got a lot of options at first base. Conversely, they don’t have that many options at the 5th spot and Zito is still owed $46 million (included the $7 million buy out).

Who’s more likely to hit the DL first, Posey or Freddy? Again, I don’t think this is that easy of a call. Your gut response is *Glass* Sanchez but I don’t think Posey is as good to go as everyone thinks. Plus, he plays the most physically demanding position on the field….

What’s more likely to happen, Crawford holds the SS position till at least June 15th or Belt scores a starting 1-bag job out of ST? I think Belt has more of a shot than many think to win the first base job out of ST. And if Nate doesn’t hit and Huff and Belt do, Nate could find himself super-subbing to start the season. For the sake of the poll, I’ll just say Belt starting ANYWHERE Opening Day since he could score and OF starting job, I guess…..

Who is most likely to have a big Spring with the bat? Pagan and Cabrera are new and wanting to impress, Belt and Burriss are fighting different fights to save/score a job…..

Who will have the lowest Spring Training ERA? Timmy and Cain could care less about ST numbers. Voggy has security and probably doesn’t care, either. MadBum? Likely more worried about breaking his snot-rocket record (distance only. He has “most snot rockets in a 9 inning game record wrapped up with 276. He put that one totally out of reach). Zito needs a big Spring but Zito is a terrible baseball pitcher. Or maybe you fancy someone from The Ramon Ortiz Gang?

Will Angel Villalona have more than 20 spring training at bats?

1. Nipper said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:49 am

Springtime! YES!

2. Bozo said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:57 am

Zito won’t be cut out of ST, maybe as the year progresses if they can’t hide him. Opening day line-up
    Pagan CF
    Freddie – 2B
    Panda 3B
    Posey – C
    Huff – LF
    Melky – RF
    Belt – 1B
    Crawfish – SS
    Bench is – Nate, Theriot, Font, Pill and a catcher to be named later.
    If Huff starts the season slow he’ll be traded, but he’ll be given a long rope. The first DL spot will be a pitcher coming out of ST (probably Zit but I’m not sure if Wilson will be ready). Belt is going to have a monster spring. Vogs will have a solid ST but Hensley will have the best ERA (is he part of the Ortiz gang?) and make the team,
    Angel will get less than 20 ABs and will be moved to the rookie squad early on.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

Wait, I forgot to include Blanco. Bye bye Font, hello Gregor.

3. willieD said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

Posey,like all catchers, is a tough kid and athletic enough to play other positions. Sanchez is completely opposite, not athletic at all, and incapable of playing anywhere else.
    If Huff became irrelevant, I could see SF dealing him off and paying half his salary and at least getting prospects back in return. Zito, no. If he continues to flounder here, he couldn’t possibly pitch anywhere else.
    As to ST numbers, zzzzz. The idea that you can win a job in ST is ridiculous, and often borderline guys that get hot early and do that are gone after a month of reg season when they are looking up at mendoza line.

4. Big flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

I think Zito has to bring it this Spring. If he checks in with his usual shit numbers that phantom DL Monster is gonna scoop him up quick and he gone

• Nipper said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

Why will not the Giants come clean about the Zito matter. No one will admit a mea culpa!

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

Schulman is reporting that Zito has yet another new delivery: “he’s more crouched.”

Crouching Giant, Hidden Unicorn.

6. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

What’s to come clean about? Like it would help? The only mea culpa is his outright release.

7. James said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

Belt is about 5 singles more in 2011 removed from being in the starting line up going into this season. The Bill James call of 25 HRs for Belt is an easy one — based on his “disappointing” performance, Belt would have hit 25-30 last year with 600+ PAs.

8. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

I’m one who was down on him last year, I long ago re-evaluated my position.

9. Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Voggy hurt his back lifting weights last week? Where the hell have I been. They’re saying he’s gonna be held out the first 10 days of Spring. Hmmmm, if that’s all it is, then no big deal. But who among us believes this is only going to be a 10 day thing?

10. Brian said, on February 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Shulman says that he hurt it doing squats, didn’t feel any sharp pain just stiffness the day after and that it was “normal stuff.” I’ve had that happen lifting weights before, but it’s usually after a routine you’re just beginning. Hopefully he just overloaded the bar a little, 10 days seems long for stiffness to disappear. Maybe they’re just being cautious.

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I hope Loo is headed over to one of those 123 Burger Shot Beer joints in NY. They were giving away free shots if Lin scored 25+ today at the Garden. He tallied 28 vs the Mavs. FREE DRINKS!!!

• Macdog said, on February 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Not even the defending champs can stop Linsanity. ABC also interviewed Lin’s Palo Alto HS coach during the first half.

12. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

It’s certainly preferable to hold Vogelsong out too long, I would think. Especially this spring.

13. St said, on February 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Asked about that his delivery, Zito said, β€œThere’s always room for improvement.”

Nah? Really?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

They also said that Zito admitted in a roundabout way that he might have been tipping pitches. Does it even matter?

14. Bozo said, on February 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I’m not a big basketball fan. So this off time between the Niners and Giants can be a bit tough for me. Those folks in New Orleans have the right idea. When Football is over they have Mardi Gras. So, in the spirit, I’d like to wish all you Flappers a happy Lundi Gras tomorrow and a happy Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday. But please bring on the games, I’m ready and primed for some baseball to watch.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Oh yeah and go win a job Gregor Blanco. You are the Clown’s dark horse this spring, you poor bastard.

15. zumie said, on February 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Sports is often about making adjustments, and Lin made a good adjustment to the attempted double-teams today. After the Hornet game, it only took Lin one game to make the adjustment. That’s impressive.

• EdGdsnInExile said, on February 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

What’s interesting too is he’s committing 7-8 turnovers per game–it shows you this is not a determining stat, likely dependent on his being so active on both ends of the floor. John Wall here in DC is that way as well, although he tends to go one-speed, i.e., full-speed, invariably. In the Knicks-Wiz game I saw, Lin had that CP3 stop-start manner of top point-guards.

• willieD said, on February 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Ed, turnovers are not good; the object is to hang on to the ball until your team can get up a good shot at any level of b-ball. Believe me, it is a determining stat, esp when you lose. Monta had games last year when he scored ton of points and had 9 t/os. Not good.
        Lin was trying to do too much and making bad decisions and poor passes, as Magic and his coach said.
        But that 4th q today was fabulous, with all the assists and that 3 over Dirk. the bricks are rolling, without melo.
        Good for him, as he will have to continue to make adjustments at highest level and at lightning speed.
        Coach Monty today said something about the great athletes that come into college and start right away but don’t know the game by the time they leave. Sounds like Wall and a lot of others to me.

• EdGdsnInExile said, on February 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Willie, agreed in general. One ration people always mention is assists to turnovers, both team and individual. Magic made your point after the game that Lin played a very clean 4th quarter. My point is, like all stats, on their face they don’t always tell the story. Lin gets into the lane really well to dish; some guys like him end up surprising their teammates with passes that they then lose. Other guards’ turnovers might lose them mid-court. Always bugs me when the news reports top scores/rebounders in a game, when a good portion of those might have come when the game was long out of reach. It all depends.

16. Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm

ZUMIE– is there a guy at the Splash using your first and last (real) name as a screen name?

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I complained to VK about that and never got a response.

• zumie said, on February 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Yeah, I guess he dug it up on the internet somewhere. I’m on several music discussion boards. I guess he wants to bug me for some reason, but there’s a lot of people more famous and accomplished than me with that name. It’s a humbling experience when I Google my own name. (grin)

17. Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I’m gonna be clueless on this and expect some to call me such, but I never in a million years would have even noticed “Chink in the Armor” as a racial slur. I understand the word *chink* is a derogatory slur but the phrase “chink in the armor” has it’s own meaning, a definition that has nothing to do with racism, and it absolutely applied to the Lin Story–it was his first loss, the *chink* was the loss in his up-to-that-point blemish-free armor.
    Everyone is saying the ESPN guys who were responsible for the headline were intentionally making a racial slur and maybe that’s true. Maybe I don’t understand just how stupid some people can be that they would risk their jobs over a chance to say something racist about Lin. If that’s what they were doing OR even if they didn’t and they still went with that headline they had to know what the public backlash would be.
    But I’ll tell ya, if I was the one who wrote that headline I would have been fired, too. If I had picked that headline there would have been no racist intent whatsoever–I would have just thought it was an appropriate headline for the story. If I was going to get fired it should have been because I was too ignorant to not see how that headline could get perceived—-but not because I was trying to slip in some secret racist comment.

18. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Well, on another note, I just pledged my love to the woman I’ve loved for a decade. E-Mail is an awful way for that, but it’s all I have right now. And it’s somthing I need to do now. I’m not hopeful, maybe you guys can throw a wish my way..

• EdGdsnInExile said, on February 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Wishes on their way, Twin!

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

absolutely. 2 flaps up full of wishes. You get any new news or are you just in the throws of recovery?

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Just very unsettling news. It was thought that all of the tumor was removed, now it seems there is a suspicious growth that won’t confirmed one way or the other until the next MRI. If it’s tumor and the radiation seeds don’t care of it, it’s obviously not good. And I’m very weak from the surgery, I can’t imagine a woman who would want me as is…

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm

we’ll take ya as-is Twinner. If you want to talk to someone tomorrow, just shoot me an email. If you want something else, let me know. A lot of people here care about you and wonder about how you’re doing. As i said in the email I just sent you—you’re intertwined in the love we all have for the Giants. There’s no going back. In 30 years there’s no way I won’t think about you at least once while I watch a Giants game…….

• Chico said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:43 pm

My whole family sends their best wishes Mike. I learned a lot about the game of baseball from you over the years, and I will be forever greatful for that. Like Flavor said, when a lot of us think Giants baseball, we think of you, and I have only interacted with you for 4, maybe 5 years (my previous username on the Gate included), people that have known you longer are even luckier. Stay strong friend, you have your own set of fans, more than you probably think. Stay strong friend.

19. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Well, just remember me as the guy who called those 25 HRs for Miggy..

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’m still trying to get past the 20 you predicted for Ort-Rod πŸ™‚

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Folks seem to forget you were with me on Lincecum for Rios. I feel I’ve carried the burden alone long enough πŸ˜‰

20. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Who came up with the nickname. it’s a classic..

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

which nickname are you talking about?

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Your poll left out the most important question: will we see the Sun-Dressed Goddess again?

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:59 pm

She’s never left us Pawlie. And yet she’s never been here. The 8 game winning streak from last September is forgotten by all but us. She’s got more magic in her………

22. paulinasia said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’m going to swim against the tide and predict that Freddy will NOT be on the DL so much this year. So there. He and Buster will probably play a bit more cautiously, and that’s ok. I also agree that the best thing about the Zito situation would be to just release him. He will never do any better than he has. Monster DL stint could be the alternative, but really, why bother? Just cut him. Also think that if Huff isn’t doing well and if others at 1B are doing well (Belt, Pill, whoever), Huff would not be released but could be trade bait, with SF eating most of the salary, to an AL team who needs a lefty bat or DH. IMO, Pagan at lead-off is most key out of all the keys and ifs and possibilities. Finally, somewhat head-scratching to hear the Giants might aim to keep only 2 catchers… unless Hector Sanchez forces the issue. Presumably that means he would be the 3rd. Really, another year of Eli or Stewart? Ugh…

Michael, you old romantic, you. Good for you, expressing your love. So sorry to hear about another tumor. I don’t know how you do it. We’re all with you, man…

23. paulinasia said, on February 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

As for the “chink” comment by ESPN… I don’t think there’s any question it was intentional. These guys try to be too cute sometimes with some “tongue in cheek” humor. It was ignorant, adolescent humor if that’s what they were doing. Right along the lines of all the Gomez inuendo.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

why would anyone intentionally do that if they knew their job was on the line? The headline got pulled 35 minutes after it was posted after thousands of email complaints.Then they got fired. Tell me, why would someone risk getting fired over something they were obviously going to get caught doing? It’s not like they posted it on a blog that no one read. To me, it makes no sense at all…….

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Why? Years ago I asked a friend in New Orleans why the Southern Baptist held their convention in NOLA, she told me “the same reason AA does, to prove they can”. Who knows why or if it was intentional, but I gotta think whoever it was has been hired by Foxsports already.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm

good point, Clownmeister

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:44 pm

It can’t be defended. I say this as someone who has exhibited a near-Tourette’s [that’s probably inappropriate] inclination to blurt out the worst thing in public, even at work, including one about 5 years ago that could’ve cost me my job [as an intentionally outrageous remark, for laughs, on a conference call, I used the term used throughout WWII in all American newspapers, an abbreviated form of a longer word; my kids, upon learning of it, said, What? Dad! it was meant to draw a laugh; WRONG] and in fact I DID lose my last corporate job because I did what everyone in America wishes they could say to a superior: “If you don’t like the way I’m doing this f*cking job, then f*cking get someone else to do it.” They did. And working for myself I am happier. Poorer and happier. Anyway, back to the controversial “hed” as we called them when I wrote them as a copy editor, 1976-79 [that’s who writes them typically]: the larger issue is this: the McDonalds-USA Today-ization of newspapers and other media. Cute heds were almost NEVER allowed in the old days. Sure, tabloids got away with them. But if someone can’t resist a lame cutesy hed and can’t be more clever than that, fire ’em for lack of creativity.

24. paulinasia said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

You’re right, Craig, it makes no sense. Who said some of these idiots have any sense? If, and that’s a big if, in my opinion, a headline writer or copywriter for the story wrote “chink in the armor” harmlessly, just thinking that it’s an accepted idiom, there’s no way that whatever process they have for editing and approving would NOT have raised the issue, ‘um, that COULD be perceived as racist’ … If no one raised that issue, then they’re flippin’ idiots for not realizing it. If someone did, and they still thought it was actually kind of cute so they allowed it, then they’re even bigger idiots.

• Big flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Well that’s pretty much what I said in my original post about this. Can the guys who missed the way it could be taken. They should have known better. Shit I woulda missed it. “chink in the armor?” I wouldn’t have seen racism in that unless I looked for it. And I guess the have guys employed who should be doing that. But I refuse to believe someone was being racist with that headline on purpose— and I’m totally willing to be dead wrong on that opinion. I missed the racist reference when it was posted, what else did I miss?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm

see my brilliant post, above

• Big flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I read it and though it’s vague I see your point. I understand why everyone is upset about this and I see why the guy lost his job since what he did, either intended or not, cannot be tolerated.
        My point was that I just can’t fathom how he intended that as intentional.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

what the feck is so muthafeckin vague about it? vague? I’m vague? I thought I was clear. I should never be VAGUE when I’m trying to be clear. But g’night anyway, is that clear?

• Big flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

“chink in the armor” is an accepted idiom. The def comes from like 400 years ago. It’s been used since but more recently to define what that headline intended: someone previously impervious to injury who finally suffered an injury– in this case, a basketball player who had won all the games he’d started and finally lost one. The “chink” was the loss. I get all the rest of the uproar, I really do, all I was saying was that when I read it I took it for what it was. Maybe those guys did that on purpose and if so, as I said, bigger idiots they could not be…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Of course it’s an accepted idiom, and of course they knew what they were doing. They were trying to slip it in there. “Look how clever. Double meaning. Get it? Harhar.” Reimagine it this way: a young black player, same situation. Headline: “The Jig Is Up.” Legitimate saying with a legit meaning in its own right, but under the circumstances and context, wholly unacceptable. And someone has to catch it, even if the perception of it is wrong, or potentially wrong, even if the intent allegedly were not. I rest my case, your f*cking honor.

25. paulinasia said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Yes it is an accepted idiom, although I thought it meant more of a weakness in an otherwise strong collection of attributes. As is “in a coon’s age” an accepted idiom, meaning, long time, but you wouldn’t hear that used when talking about an African-American player (“We haven’t seen these kinds of tools in a coon’s age”), etc. etc. Or if you did, it would fall under the same category of idiots using idioms. I doubt ESPN wanted to be racist, per se, I think if anything, they thought it was a cute and clever joke. As you said, Craig, obviously they should’ve known better.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Sheeesh, the Two Pauls, 12,000 miles apart, post symmetrical takes.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

make that “simultaneously symmetrical”

• paulinasia said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, huh, masters of idioms, a world apart, simultaneously no less. Boggles the mind!

26. Big flavor said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Well, i still can’t believe someone would risk their job over some sophomoric slur. I don’t think they “slipped itvin there”. But I could easily be wrong.

27. paulinasia said, on February 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Well, they were idiots for a) not realizing it could be consider derogatory and racist, or b) slipping in what they thought was a cute joke, or c) not realizing they actually could lose their jobs for it. Anyway you slice it.. they’re idiots.

28. zumie said, on February 19, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Man, that Durant is talented. And a very graceful basketball player. Although he plays a totally different position and different style, he kind of reminds me of Kareem in his prime. Poetry in motion, that kind of thing.
    Fun game between OKC and Denver tonight.
    For late nighters, ESPN will be re-running the Knicks game in the early morning hours.