A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The A’s Moving (or Not Moving)– I’m SO Over all of This

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 9, 2012

The two statements (or emails or whatever) put out by the Giants and the A’s were of little interest to me. As far as I can tell, the A’s released theirs because they’re tired of waiting on Selig. A couple of years ago, when I found out that Wolff and Selig were actually frat bros, I figured the move to San Jose was a done deal. I guess being your frat bro just doesn’t mean as much as it used to. It’s also possible that Selig doesn’t hold that much clout in the decision. If the move has to be approved by a majority of ownership then I could see many, if not all, not wanting to set a precedent by overturning another team’s territorial rights. Why set it up to screw yourself down the road when a team wants to move into your *area*?

I’ve got no idea why the Giants released their statement. Public opinion? Trying to bully the A’s? It’s clear that they are ready to do battle in court over this and if that’s the case I don’t know why they would care about a single A’s public statement (unless they were trying to show the A’s that they are ready to throw down with them on this issue. A “you can’t handle the truth!” kind of moment……..

Personally, I could care less if the A’s move to San Jose. I actually think I’d like it a little. It would make attending an AL game much easier to do. If the Yankees or the Red Sox were in town they would actually *be in town* and I could attend the game. Actually, that would be a lot of coin. But if The Royals were in town and I wanted to go see Dirrrrty pitch again, hey, it would be about a 15 minute car ride for me. Easy. Driving to the Coliseum to see a game? Screw that. I-880 is a complete nightmare. They ought to change the speed limit on that road to *7 mph*— that’s about the average speed I seem to travel when I’m forced to use that road……..

If the A’s moved to San Jose, I don’t think the Giants would have a single thing to worry about in terms of losing a meaningful percentage of their fan base. I know a lot of Giants fans down there—they are hardcore, there’s no way in hell they’d flip over to wearing an A’s cap. NO WAY. Maybe the Giants are worried about losing their corporate luxury box guys–I could see that being a concern……..

But really, none of it is the slightest bit interesting to me anymore.

1. Giant Head said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:44 am

Guess who is in town baby????

The Giant Head has landed! In Santa Cruz for a couple days to visit my parents and Saturday camping with my (it is not frat bros Flav!!!) FRATERNITY 🙂 brothers in Half Moon Bay…

My position has been stated as a Giants fan who grew up in San Jose, San Jose deserves to get a major league team. We may quibble whether the current A’s technically qualify as a major league team…

As Flav stated, Giant die-hards are not going to switch allegiance. Ones from the south bay may see a couple less Giants games and go see a couple of A’s games. So compensate the Giants for that potential loss. $10 mill a year for 10 years I believe would be very fair compensation.

Luxury boxes? How many corporations have major presences in SF???? It is the Silicon Valley companies only that buy these up???? I have a hard time accepting that argument from the Giants.

From what I can remember, the A’s never attempted to push trhe Giants out of this market, especially when things looked bleak after ballot defeat after ballot defeat. But this is a clear attempt by the Giants to try and drive the A’s out.

As a city, San Jose can never have a major league team? Is that the Giants position??? That is fodder for the city to file their own anti-trust lawsuit against the Giants and MLB….

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:02 am

GH, go to O’Mei on the west side for good chinese. my brother is chef there.

• Giant Head said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:16 am

I know the place…will let my parents know…

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:12 am

‘But this is a clear attempt by the Giants to try and drive the A’s out.” The A’s agreed to the rights. The A’s are the ones trying to get out, pal. They’re welcome to finance a new ballpark in Oakland.

2. willieD said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:19 am

GH, enjoy. Weather has been pretty nice here lately.
    I still think SF is just trying to extort as much as possible out of the A’s—they agree to pay off Giants debt and the Jose deal is done. Robinson suggested as much month or so ago on the air.
    But unless A’s ownership loosens the purse strings they aren’t building anything that would compete with SF and threaten the year round sell outs at ATT, gear, $$$ spent at the park, etc. This is just public posturing by the bean counters. And as long they have the big pockets teams like Texas and Angels in the same division, success (getting into playoffs, say) seems years away for the A’s, who currently don’t have near the talent these other teams do and are basically irrelevant in terms of “contending”…. no matter where they play.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

Yeah, the years of the A’s surprising their division and somehow winning it are long gone. The Rangers and the Angels have turned into high payroll juggernauts.

3. Nipper said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 am

A’s better start digging in the Golden State Parking lot. Warriors aren’t going anywhere fast.

4. willieD said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:34 am

Cal-Stanford was a good game last night. Stanford played excellent D in first half as they have most of the year under Dawkins. Cal and Monty got the O rolling second half; I love to watch his sets, getting his guys open off curls and down screens and moving the ball more efficiently. Crabbe is fun to watch, and I love Gutierrez energy.
    But with UW going down in its first game and embarrassing the league as conference champ, I think only two teams get in. One would be whomever wins the tourney, and maybe one more of AZ/Cal. So Cal better win the next game to be safe. I liked Oregon too. Altman runs a cool offense, but his seniors came up short, and they’re going to have to settle for NIT.
    Dawkins gets a lot of grief from Furd fans, but really he has a young team that makes too many mistakes with the ball and doesn’t shoot well enough, and that last part isn’t on him. He got a great recruit in Randle, and if he can get a couple more and his younger guys like Bright Powell Huestis and the guard A Brown work hard in off season to improve, they can be nearer top of the league. Comparing him to Monty, best coach in the league by far with 20 yrs experience on him, isn’t fair.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:49 am

I missed some college hoops this week. I was trying to catch up on some shows I had DVRed. “Justified” is the best show I’ve seen in a while, since “The Wire,” and the new “Battlestar Gallactica.” Finely written and acted, “Justified” creates a kind of poetry in its Southern noirish world that it creates.
      I’ve been watching “Alcatraz” out of a kind of loyalty to the Bay Area. The show is mediocre, overall, though. I like J. J. Abrams’ other show, “Fringe,” a lot more.

• St said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

‘Justified’ is excellent.

• Giant Head said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

Walking Dead my friend, best show on basic cable and looking forward to Game of Thrones season two starting April 1 on hbo…

• TedSpe said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

Walking Dead. Oh yeah!!

• St said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Breaking Bad is still my fav AMC show.

• Kevin said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Yes Justified is just too cool, the characters are great, red necks through and through!! And I am not saying that as a bad thing.

• Kevin said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm

And the other show is Southland

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm

You’ll think I’m non-hetero, but “MadMen” is great in my book [coming out in days!!!!!]. Don’t agree? Two words. Christina Hendricks.

5. Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 am

Luxury box, Field and Club Levels have a ton of corporations who bought in at the start which helped build the stadium. I don’t know how many are from the South Bay but I do know the “regular folks”, such as myself, were in the minority in the Club level. When the Giants built the new stadium, San Jose was part of the financing agreement. When Fisher (his dad was a minority owner of the Giants that saved them from going to Florida) and Wolff bought the A’s it was a condition in the sale and they both agreed to that. When the Giants were at the Stick a lot of fickle fans were going to Oaktown to watch a game, they liked the “stadium experience” better. The As understand the dollars in SJ, that’s why they want to move there (and it wouldn’t make them feel bad if those dollars came at the expense of the Giants).So, I do think the Giants have legitimate concerns.
    I don’t feel like looking up the numbers, but when they moved the Expos to DC, MLB and the Nat’s new owners paid huge amounts to the Orioles because of the territorial rights, I think the Orioles also get a percentage of the Nats TV rights. You’re talking about numbers that could possibly pay off the Giants stadium debt. I doubt a lot of the other owners want to pony up the cash for the As to move to SJ when they could probably get something done in Oakland and if I’m the Giants, no way do I give up the rights for anything less than what the Orioles got. Also, I think the As would still hold the rights to the East Bay so I guess the Giants would have to move the single A team to Marin if they want to keep the kids close by.

6. Alleykat said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 am

Alviso A’s still has a nice ring to it.Theme “Lauch at the Swamp”. Yeah like Flav said about getting to Oakland on 880, it’s a joke just like the A’s.

Selig might not have.the clout with Wolffy like he thought he had,but.i wouldn’t be suprised if he helped get Braun out of his 50 game sabbatcal.Being a former owner of the team.Losing Fielder was enough of a hit so it wouldnt take another with Braun on the sidelines and.bascially.endinh their.seadon.

7. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

Zumie DID claim that Panda’s 2009 numbers were in in the minor leagues, I had to correct him and he fucking admitted it….and I did not accuse *him* of making it racial- I pointed out, correctly, that Buster and Tim are being made the faces of the team- and Pablo belongs there just as much- more than Buster. Then I said that “brown faces” count too- that has to with management, not bloggers- unless the shoe fits…

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:11 am

You’re absolutely wrong on that. I forgot that Panda had good numbers in 2009 but I didn’t think he had the numbers in the minors. I knew he was on the big club in 2009. And yes you corrected me about his numbers, and I “effing admitted it.” So what? The whole CONTEXT of my paragraph was how I looked forward to the great years ahead for Panda. Somehow you’re trying to turn that around to make some false strawman point about how neglected and disrepected you think he is. I totally disagree with you on that, so go ahead a drop some more F-bombs. Some people think profanity enhances their argument….if the shoe fits.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

You said, with a grin, that you meant in the majors, when I cited those numbers. You are not being truthful. at the time you admitted that you forgot he was in the bigs that year.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’d love to see the quote if that’s handy somewhere.
        But that’s not even the issue with me. I don’t care about any of that. I consider it a simple brain-fart at the time, and nothing more. I just didn’t like being used as an example in a point that seemed to have racial overtones. Like I was “Exhibit A” or something. It felt like that, anyway. Maybe I over-reacted…..

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

You know damn well it’s virtiually impossible to locate invidual quotes here…but if I say it was said, it was said. And I never accused you of racism. I’m sick of you and others deliberately distorting what I *do* say on the subject.

8. willieD said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:05 am

Even tho I hate Duke, here a couple other things about Dawkins I like. First, he is not a yeller and screamer like the K-St guy, or Monty who is hard on refs and will get in his players faces pretty hard. He acts the part of role model for his young team with a frosh PG, stay calm don’t worry about bad shit and get your head into the present moment of the next play, regardless of refs, bad shot/turnover or anything else.
    Second, he is flex enough with the minutes to allow subs a chance to show what they can do. He has used a number of LUs, which means starters have nothing guaranteed to them and subs can show they deserve more PT and won’t get buried on the bench or subbed out for one mistake or bad play.
    third, despite his strict grooming policy, he made an exception to allow Zim to wear his hair long and grow an outrageous beard. In return that guy played his ass off and gave great leadership. Lesson for everyone there.
    Zimmerman, btw, looks quite a lot like Phil Jackson did when he was first out of college with the Knicks, tho Zim has much better shot, more ball skills, and doesn’t look near as awkward as Jackson was then..

• Giant Head said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

K Street guy? Is that a shot at me:)))))

• willieD said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Nah, dude the Kansas State mens coach. He’s pretty intense…fun to watch, not sure I’d dig playing for the guy.

9. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

On racial matters- the bigotry against the Latins has existed since they first came into the league- any commenter denying it is either a fucking moron or a perp…many of the disgusting remarks about Pablo during the 2010 season were clearly racially motivated, we have Krueger’s remarks and the empathy for him, really countless other examples. Again, if this doesn’t apply to you, no need to defend yourself, but accusing me of pretending that bigotry against the Latins exists and “colors” their treatment, is utter bullshit.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

Don’t use me as an example, then. Thanks.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

Where did I do that? No where. I specifically cited Baer and management. Try to be truthful about what I said-this was easy to find:
        “If he’s not considered the face of the franchise, Baer and whoever else pushes the concept, better learn that brown faces qualify…’

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

I wasn’t thrilled about being included in that paragraph.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:23 am

Well. I wasn’t thrilled to see that any fan could forget Pablo’s 2009. I get wrongly accused of having some kind of grudge against Lincecum and Posey, because I’ve dared to criticize them, but I do pay attention to their numbers. But whatever, I’ve only accused one person here of being racist and it’s not you.
        I cited your “brain fart” on Sandoval because it was unbelieveable to me that anyone could forget his 2009 on any level.

10. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:35 am

I’ve cited the revolting statement by Greg Papa-he was interviewing Pablo last year and Pablo was responding in English. Papa smirked that they’d better get a translator as Pablo struggled wih his English…this incident was confirmed.
    Buster is Clark Kent, Pablo is held up as a roly-poly jolly litlle burritto muncher- the difference in treatment is unmistakeable. So I don’t intend to tolerate bullshit that says I’m manufacturing the notion of disrespect for Panda and other Latin players- it’s there and always has been.

11. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

I need to do a better job of remembering all the details from the thrilling 2009 Giants season.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

Are you really now inferring that 2009 was not a thrilling season? You set a high bar, that’s for sure.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

I literally remember just about nothing about the 2009 season. They finished about 10 games behind the Dodgers, correct? In fact, I do remember the season as a frustrating experience, watching the Dodgers win in the ninth inning on all kinds of flukes and luck.

12. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:24 am

LiveFree had a great quote that season. He said something like: “You learn to accept Dodger luck, like you learn to accept ants at a picnic.”

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

LiveFree? Hard to forget him. He disappeared as 2010 wound down and was totally gone by the time the playoffs started. He had a fanatical devotion to the bunt. And went postal when they acquired Lopez, no way he’d help them.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:39 am

Yeah, that was a rough season for Doomers. (grin)

13. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:30 am

Well, they were 88-74, 7 games out of the divisiion, 4 games out of the WC. I think most found it an exciting year, especially after those that preceded it. But you didn’t. To each his own.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

What are your specific favorite memories of that season?

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:38 am

Speaking of Pablo, is 2009 the season when he made that amazing throw home against Seattle? He backhanded the ball down the line and falling backwards, got the guy out at home with an incredible throw.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:56 am

I think Suzuki was the hitter, threw out Johjima, or maybe Betancourt. One or the other. You tell me.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

Part of my memory of that game is that I watched it in a hotel room.

14. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

Are you being serious ? Because I’m sure I could list a few dozen. It sounds like you are just trying to be a wise ass by inferring that I paid as little attention as you did.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Actually, I was serious. We all remember things in different ways. For example, I just now remembered Sanchez’s no-hitter. Why didn’t I remember it quicker? Because I was at a minor league game that night. I heard Miller’s call in the last inning on the drive home, and watched the game on DVR. Still very exciting, but a different experience than those that saw it all live on TV, and a different memory of it.

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:44 am

Zum, I live on the East Coast and my best memory from the no-no was my wife asking me if I was going up to bed. I told her my pitcher is pitching a pretty good game and I’m going to stay up and watch it for a bit. When Sanchez got it, I started hooting and hollering so she came downstairs to see what was going on. I told her he threw a no-hitter and his dad was there to see his son live for the first time in his pro career. When she asked why I didn’t tell her he had a no-hitter going (she would have stayed up to watch), I told her I didn’t want to jinx it. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched the replay of that game, what an awesome night.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

Once in a great while my wife will kid me a little about me not recording Game 5 of the 2010 World Series, because I had told her for years about how unsuperstitious I am. And I’m not! But- I just….could….not….record….that….game…..

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Do you need a copy? My wife got me the whole set as a christmas gift.

15. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

Well, I have 50+ years of baseball memories, I don’t produce them on demand.Have a nice day.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

Wow. What a nice guy.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:23 am

I always thought you were one of the best posters on any blog. But denying what you posted about Sandoval was bullshit. Sorry you don’t like me. As Loo said in a different context, I’ll try to “carry on”…

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

I’m not “denying,” I don’t think. I’m just not liking having it dredged up with added context and whatnot. It was just a harmless gaffe. LIke Obama saying “59 states” that time.
        I have tremendous respect for you and your baseball knowledge. I’ve learned a lot about the game from you.

• Giant Head said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

My memory has gone for shit, but wasn’t 2009 Timmy’s second cy young year???

If so, that is my memory of 2009…if you can credit my memory…

Oh yeah, I also remember the fantastic fucking year Panda had:)

I love me some Latinos…can I get an A-N-G-E-L P-A-G-A-N????

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

Yeah, it was kind of hilarious watching the two Cardinal pitchers’ reactions in the media when they realized they had split the vote and Tim had won.

16. TedSpe said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:28 am

The two primary things I remember about 2009 was the winning record and Sandoval showing he’s going to be a major star. It *was* a disappointing year (any year without the playoffs is disappointing) but it *was* exciting almost up to the very end

17. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:46 am

I remember that besides his weight problems, Pablo had a real tough time on a personal level that year ( that could easily have contributed to his conditioning problem) , a year that would be rough on any young person. On some forums he’s still castigated for it. We’ve heard here that he was out of shape again, without proof. Here’s what Baggarly said
    Pablo is our MVP now, the face of the franchise….

• big flavor said, on March 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

2010 was Pablo’s tough year of personal shit. I’m assuming you’re talking about that year and not 2009.

• TedSpe said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I thought the weight problems and divorcec happened in the off season. Well, maybe it’s more accurate that I didn’t *hear* about them until the off season

18. big flavor said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm

and Pablo COULD BE the MVP of the league this year. If he stays healthy, that’s totally doable.

19. big flavor said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Pablo hit real well in April of 2010 and then it was all down hill after that. I recall Baggerly indicated after the fact that he’d made a mid season trip down to the DR to finalize his divorce. It was a bad year for him personally, why is this an issue? He bounced back and had a great year and I expect him to have another great year.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

It was reported mid season, not later , if you mean after the year. And Schulman reported it as well.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Why don’t you castigate Snarkk for claiming he was out of shape again? Or are you going with him over Baggarly on this? Panda will always be an issue becuse of the lies that always surround him. And pointing that’s he is our MVP over a guy who hasn’t played since last May is totally relevant.

20. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Because in many quarters he still gets shit. And it’s something I care to discuss.

21. Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm

“why is this an issue?”
    I’m not sure, but I think Sandoval must have said something to trigger this whole territorial rights thing between the Giants and A’s. And, I’m pretty sure twin and zumie were just demonstrating the back and forth dialog going on between the two teams.

22. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Yeah I was going to bring up Timmy’s repeat as Cy Young winner in 2009.

Way beyond that fact was 2009 was the year the Giants seemingly got over the Barry Bonds hangover. They were fun to watch. Something they hadn’t been the couple previous years. Plus it was the first year minus Ray Ray (I kid, I kid . . .) . . .

23. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for the offer, Bozo, but I don’t need copies of the World Series. When Comcast was replaying the games, I found them hard to watch. It just reminded me how nervous I was during the whole Series. Winning the World Series, for me, was a joy when it was all over. The games themselves were nerve-wracking.

24. snarkk said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm

What I find interesting, if not laughable, is that this whole territorial rights thing seems to be floating out there in space, with nobody having a clear recollection of what happened, how it happened, what expectations and conditions were. Or, they don’t want to say. I’ve yet to see a clear expose in the local sportswriter land about any of this in any detail. Too difficult, too time consuming, and most important — too fraught with pissing off one or both organizations. The media around here is toothless. Anyway, the A’s say that the granting/giving up of territorial rights by the A’s to Santa Clara county was temporary/conditional on the Giants relocating to Santa Clara. OK, what date was that owner’s meeting when that happened? Where ARE the minutes? What is the exact language of the resolution to do that? WAS there a resolution of the owners agreeing on that? Or, did Wally Haas fart and everybody took that to mean he gave away Santa Clara county. WHAT THE HELL? Something that important isn’t memorialized specifically somewhere in the MLB archives? Nobody is really clear on it? And, yeah, what significance is it that the A’s ownership voted on successive MLB Constitutional changes in the 2000s where the Giants clearly have Santa Clara county and the A’s don’t? What was the situation of the territorials rights BEFORE the supposed grant by Haas? Were the A’s and Giants sharing the entire Bay Area, like the other two-team metro areas do in sharing the same counties? I could give a crap if the A’s move to San Jose. They certainly would do better there. Oakland is a disaster. And, I don’t think initially it would hurt the Giants. But, eventually, it might. If the Giants cratered as a team for half a decade, like they tend to do. a good A’s team would surely get more run in San Jose, might attract more Silicon Valley suite money away from the Giants, etc. No doubt. THAT is what has Baer fuming. He knows that current Giants fans won’t defect to the A’s. But, young ones might, in fact, probably will. In 2025, young fans in Santa Clara county could be turned totally onto the A’s, not the Giants, where they sure would not be if the A’s were in — San Antonio. The Giants are all about the money. So, make the A’s pay them an annual rights fee based on several factors — attendance, suite rentals, TV ratings, whatever. It could be done. But, the Giants just want to squeeze the A’s out of the area. And, they might succeed…

• Nipper said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Giants just want the A’s to stay put in the EAST BAY!

• DJLoo said, on March 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm

To whom is this novel dedicated?

25. Nipper said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

If Pablo stays healthy, he’s going to have a hell of year! New highs for him. I can’t wait.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm

And staying in the lineup has been an issue, hasn’t it.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Well, last year it was. And for Posey, Fruckie, Torres, Schierholtz, Belt, Ross, Burrell, Beltran, DeRosa….

26. James said, on March 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm

There are a couple of reasons Pablo may not get the full respect he deserves. The biggest is his disassociation from the success of the 2010 team, something that has, I think, been exaggerated by the relative drop off of his numbers from 09. He was also unfortunate enough to ground into a lot of DPs in 2010, which is largely a fortuitous stat. Pablo was an average player in 2010.

The other is his propensity to swing at pitches out of the strike zone, which had me doubting his numbers in 2008. When you pop up a pitch above your shoulders, it doesn’t look good, even if you are a fair bet to get a base hit on that very same pitch in another AB. But the fact is, Sandoval’s walk % is usually pretty close to the league average, and, compared to players like Rowand or Molina, he’s a model of plate discipline. My favorite example of someone whose reputation is completely belied by his actual numbers is Vlad Guerrero.

27. snarkk said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Posey caught for his two innings. News: He survived. No problems. Giants nation can all breathe now. The issue now is how the ankle feels tomorrow. And, Melky with another dinger today. Wow, they should sit him, he’s getting tired circling the bags. Meanwhile, the Royals blogosphere is already down on Dirrty…

28. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Pretty selective on the the significance of ST numbers, aren’t we?

29. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Good to know Crawford wll be hitting .400 this year

30. Alleykat said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm

“Walking Dead”,isn’t that the TV show starring are 2 backup catchers,Whitey and Stewart?

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

There’s been a few “Whitey vs. Stew” articles in the Bay Area media.
      They are the most depressing articles of the Spring.
      The plan has to be H. Sanchez arriving in a few months.

31. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Not to worry, Eli is hitting .375.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

As you’ve said before about Zito, that kind of thing is real bad news. It gives the Giants hope about Whitey. Man, that’s the worst news of the Spring so far.

32. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Probably don’t need Buster now.

33. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’m too lazy to really give a shit about it, but if the A’s moved down there, they would be accessible to tons and tons of corprate money. Dough that ain’t in Oakland by any stretch of the imagination. If there’s anything the Giants are worried about, it’s that. They get a shiny new park, and put some players in the field, a lot of people will go there, because it’s there, not a schlep up 101 to SF.

As much as SJ is a Giants town, having the A’s there would erode the situation little by little until the corporate money stays there. Provided they field a good team. Plus, they’d have to move the SJ Giants. That would really suck.

34. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

There’s no question that at one time those rights WERE awarded to SF. If the details are murky now, the A’s can take it to court. Fuck them, they could and should build a ballpark with their own money in OAKLAND. They don’t draw because they don’t want to- these are cheap bastards who have created a team with players even their Moms can’t keep track of.

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

You’re right twin. I think at one time the rights were shared but in the late 80s – early 90s the Giants tried to build down there. To do that they needed exclusive rights, the A’s (I think Haas still owned the team) gave up their share of the rights. The Giants struck out on the park but retained the rights. When they built the new stadium those rights were part of their financial agreement (which MLB and the owners approved of). For the A’s to come back and say the rights weren’t permanent and they should get them without compensation is bullshit considering what the Nats had to pay the Orioles. If MLB pushes this through with little to no compensation for SF they would set a new precedent. Which would be cited when another team wanted to move into another teams territory. And I would imagine, create bad press for seeming to penalize a team for building their own stadium.
      Bow Tie was against giving up the rights. He led the organization to a championship and all the other bullshit aside, that is good enough for me.

35. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Well, that certainly was Wolfie’s intent all along. Shit on how bad the stadium is for years. Having Al Davis come back and erect his monstrosity in the outfield certainly helped as well. The view of the east bay hills was about the only good selling point of the ballpark. Now they are full dump mode. The list of top notch players they’ve traded for scraps is obscene.

In the end, who gives a shit? They can move to Stockton for all I care. The goddamn Rivercats outdraw them half the time.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

It was a weird situation during the ’96 A’s season. During the ballgame, look up there and see guys moving big planks around, and pounding nails into them.

• snarkk said, on March 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm

If they could drop a second deck on the Rivercats stadium, it would be an awesome place to see an MLB game. I think Sac would certainly provide as many, if not more, butts in the seats than Oakland. The issue would be the corporate support. Sac’s economy is pretty damn weak. How KJ got that city to kick in $275M for an arena for the doof Maloofs was some kind of magic…

• unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Full court press, baby. Smoke and mirrors. Yeah, the Maloofs are burning through daddy’s fortunes. No more Palms, shopping malls and other stuff. . . . They lose the Kings, they are down to nothing (relatively speaking).

Sac (and Roseville and Davis) is all about healthcare. Those guys should be able to kick down some scratch.

Yeah, that Raley field is pretty cool, as long as it ain’t 114.

36. unca_chuck said, on March 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Speaking of the A’s, I just don’t get what Billy Beane Ball gets out of all this.

Draft stud players, trade them, and watch them become all-stars somewhere else?

How would that be fun? “We suck again, but hey look at Andre Ethier.”

37. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

The dumbeaters said I was fucking crazy for not loving the Unca Miltie/Ethier trade. Ethier was a 4th OF at best and Miltie had changed. And hey-the A’s even got a bonus in the deal- Antonio Perez, who hit .102 for them that year…

38. DJLoo said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Back in the 60’s, when they were the dreadful Kansas City A’s, me and a bunch of other 8 year-olds had no doubt we could beat them easily.

39. Chico said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

2009? My wife and I were watching the Giants on TV, Sanchez had a no-no going into the 8th inning when my wife suddenly looks at me and says “honey, put down the beer” She was pregnant with our twins, had a scheduled C-section the next week but went into labor right then and there. I ran upstairs, packed our bags, toiletries etc, came downstairs, Sanchez finished his no-no and we went to the hospital and had babies. I’ll never forget that night, nor will I forget Sanchez, and wish him the best of luck. BTW, he owns a house in Pacifica @ Pedro point (not sure if he sold since the trade), and I’ve ran into him at the local Taqueria a few times. He likes Margaritas!

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Chico, I was typing my thing below and didn’t see your post. A late congrats for you and the wife that is not only one of the coolest things I’ve heard but also, priceless.
      Cheers man.

• Chico said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Cheers bro! I read your comment right after mine and instantly saw the similarities. Technically, they were born on 7-11-09 (UCSF was packed that night, we had to wait for surgeons who were busy as hell)) but I’ll always think of J-Sanchez when I look back. Gotta admit, initially, I was bitter when we traded him away for Cabrera but then common sense took over and I got over it. Its business, and I’m already liking Cabrera. He went yard again today. Can’t complain.

40. Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Zumie got me thinking about Dirty’s no hitter. I’m not a dad, but how cool would it have been to finally see your son pitch in a Major League game and the guy throws a no-no. If I recall correctly he sat down the third base line in the club (am I remembering this right?), 40 some odd thousand people around you, a view of the bay AND your son tosses a no hitter. Now that’s your Master Card commercial because that had to be priceless.

• DJLoo said, on March 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I know guys that are thrilled to see their sons get paroled…

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Yeah Loo, but I’m thinking not as thrilled as the sons, although I could be wrong. The times I’ve walked out of my little overnight stays (back in the day) I was pretty fried and a bit pissed off. If my dad was happy it was probably only because he didn’t have to post bail.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

In thinking about Sanchez’s no-hitter, today it dawned on me for the first time why I only knew about the no-hitter when I got to the car, and not earlier…..they never announced anything about the Giants game during the minor league game, which they always do normally. They didn’t want to jinx it.

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I gotta admit zumie I’m an asshole. If another team is tossing one up against us, I start talking about it around the fourth inning. Works every time. If a Giants pitcher is throwing one, I just say he’s got a good game going. Have you ever seen the rally cap really work? I was at a game at Pac Bell against the Cubs and the dad sitting next to me (Cubs fan), told his two daughters to turn their caps around, I think this was around the 7th inning and they scored enough to take the lead. When I turned my cap around the next inning, one of the girls said “Too late”. You know what? We lost, my friends that were there never let me forget getting out jinxed by two little girls. That was actually a very fun loss, those kids cracked me up.

• zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I have a friend who sort of only half-jokingly believes Game 6 of the 2002 Series was jinxed when he got a telemarketer phonecall during the Spezio at-bat. This stuff gets pretty funny, but it exists as part of the baseball fan experience for so many fans.

41. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

On the Sac Kings game tonight….Grant Naphear’s broadcasting partner for tonight? Bill Walton! Uh…….

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

maybe Walton will once and for all open about about himself during the broadcast. I feel like I know nothing about him. He’s a mystery. 🙂 🙂 🙂

42. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

America is probably divided over whether the Jack in the Box commercial where the guy marries bacon is funny or awful. It ends with the minister saying: “You may now eat the bride.”

43. twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Another funny thing about the no-hitter is that practically no one here wanted him to make the start, they wanted him either gone or in the pen. To be fair, they all got behind him pretty quickly as the game went on.

• twinfan1 said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm

His Dad obviously didn’t fly up because he thiought Dirty would do something special- he knew his son’s career was in jeopardy and he came to be there for Jonathan. That night was easily the highlight of the season, and Dirty’s clincher in 2010 after Zito and Cain gaggged it up was a huge highlight of the WS season.

• DJLoo said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm

How would you know that? Did you pick him up at the airport?

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I’m still waiting to pick VIllalona up at the airport. I’m tellin’ ya, I would pay big bucks to see how fat this dude has gotten……

• twinfan1 said, on March 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

Becasuse I know people. Try it, Loo. Rather than making light of their deaths..
        This was known to be a make or break start for Dirty, and his Dad had never seen him start. So what’s your wise ass take? I don’t need to pick him up at the airport to know he flew up to be with his son at this crucial time for his boy.

44. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Whatever happens the rest of the way in the Kings game, it looks like the news about the new arena has re-energized everything about the team. The arena is rocking tonight, and the Kings are giving Dallas a tough game.

45. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Walton’s a crack-up. He’s broadcasting the game like it’s the Allies landing on Normandy Beach.

46. zumie said, on March 9, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Kings beat the Mavericks! Good NBA game.