A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Checking in on 5 *Other* Giants

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 14, 2012

Quick post this morning. I thought I’d round up the stats of some of our former players and see how they’re doing this spring:

Vungo: he’s dealt with a minor hammy thing but has gone 5 for 13 so far (.385) with a .967 OPS.

Ross: Cody’s crushing the ball. He’s 7 for 14 (you do the math) and that’s not including the 2 homer game he had to start the season against a college team.

Dirrrrrty: I’m gonna miss typing his name this season. 2 appearances, it’s not starting well. 3 innings, 21.00 ERA. 2 walks, 2 k’s. He’s also shaved the beard. There is an interview he gave recently (don’t have time to find it) where he must have said at least 3 times that he doesn’t care how many walks he gives up in a game. He was basically just defending his wicked stuff and how confident he is in it. It was just weird to hear his opinion about walks. If anyone finds that interview, feel free to post it………

Rowand: he’s 1 for 17. ‘Nuff said……..

Beltran: 3 for 11, hitting .273.

1. St said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:42 am

Wish all the ex giants well. Honestly thought Rowand would do OK out of SF. Wonder if he’s still using that stance and gripping the bat as if he were strangling a snake?

2. Alleykat said, on March 14, 2012 at 7:52 am

Constipaton Stance Rowand will never change.Time to lay off the exlax.1-17 impressive most impressive Luke.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

He needs to give a healthy one at the plate.

3. ewisco said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

bogut and curry with foot injuries. that just doesn’t sound good to me. I’m trying to think of all the players who’ve had foot injuries and come back and i just can’t think of any. walton, yao ming, greg odom (or was it something else). They’ve been able to play but not stay on the floor and eventually they retire.

is it opening day yet?

• big flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:47 am

bogut fractured his ankle and that’s a lot different than Curry’s recurring foot problems.
      Hopefully, they shut Curry down for the rest of the year and if he still can’t keep that ankle from rolling, he’s probably fucked…..

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

The fans are always “fucked” everytime they enter Oracle Arena.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:16 am

Who cares? They’re the Warriors! Just don’t buy any tickets.

4. willieD said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:49 am

It will be interesting to see what happens to JS and what a change of scenery does for him and the others.
    I don’t think a change of scene is going to do much for Ellis. bucks suck and his coach Skiles is a hard ass, and Jennings is a ball hog of a PG who likes to shoot. Ellis is a scorer who really wants everyone else to get out of the f-ing way when he has the ball. Well, in Mil he will have it a lot less. Maybe he winds up in Orlando.
    Udoh has potential, sure, but he is at least a couple years away from being able to do what Bogut can do, when he is actually on the floor. When he and Curry are healthy (which might be never agreed) that’s a nice foundation. I like Klay T also, and it’s good he’ll get the minutes he needs to be out there vs. starting guards to learn how to defend them and score points himself.
    too bad they can’t play the kings every night.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

Ah the KINGS! They play like court jesters.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

“too bad they can’t play the kings every night.” they’ve played a lot of good basketball this year, and quite a bit of it against very good teams.

5. St said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:18 am

W’s should shut down Curry now and start losing. Hate to tank, but they are still 5 back of Det for top 7 suckitude and keeping their draft pick.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

Lets hear it for “suckitude” and a high draft pick!

• big flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:49 am

No professional player or team with pride tanks games on purpose- that’s what the player was referring to when he said his hip would start hurting if they were giving up. Their job the rest of the way is to grab that 8 spot..
      At least they showed last night that they have more pride than the pathetic Kings…

• ewisco said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

The smartest thing they could do, completely ignoring the standings and the chance at a lottery pick, is shut down curry. they’re not going to win anything anyway this year and the ONLY way that ankle gets better is a year or so of almost complete rest. I think i said this earlier but i did that to my ankle and it wasn’t until I almost completely stopped activities where it could roll did it finally heal after about a year.

But there is the additional benefit of getting that pick. should be a no brainer.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

I hardly have great trust in our medical system, but I don’t second guess doctors about their decisions on a third party. When we’re talking MY foot, I’d discuss their decisions.

6. Bozo said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

Rowand was toast at Pac Bell the first year he got there. He let the ballpark get in his head big time. That first year he hit one out in Philly or some other hitter friendly park and the cameras caught him saying, that’s an out in SF (or something like that). I’m sure he tried to change his approach but he wasn’t able to. Huff, on the other hand came in and hit that inside the park and said something like, if that’s what you have to do to get a HR here that’s what I’ll do. I would imagine it would be the same for some pitchers at Coors field, where they let the park beat them more than the other team.
    Sorry to hear about Torres’ hammy, running is such a huge part of his game. Cody and Boston should be a good fit as well as Beltran in StL. Dirty, I don’t know but I hope he has an outstanding year and I’m hoping for Ishi to make the Brewers roster.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ishi better make it or Chuck will be heart broken.

• St said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:32 am

How about Frandsen?

• big flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

I don’t think Vungo’s hammy is that much of an issue. It’ll be interesting to see how to fences getting moved in at Citi Field affects Torres. We all know about his love of the long ball. Does he start swinging for the fences or does he focus more on gap hitting, putting the ball on the ground, getting on base, etc? How that plays out could determine his success or failure in NY this year…

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

He came back in a couple days from it, now I think he’s been out of the LU the last couple. Don’t know if that’s why.

• ewisco said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:24 am

was lansford the hitting coach that first year? I know that CL completely fucked up his hitters by complaining about the park. Good coaching Carney. Plant negative thoughts in your hitters.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Actually, Rowand had VERY GOOD first halfs his first two years here. And comletely collapsed after the break both years. Did he just beat himself up ? I don’t know, I’ve never heard an explanation.
      But obviously Phillie is a terrible ballpark to judge a hitter in-Werth was even worse than Aaron when he left…

7. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:44 am

Again, folks seem to pay most attention and assign the most significance to ST results if they’re bad and they don’t like the player. Like most, I think Rowand is proably finished but the 1-17 may be no more significant than the .429 he hit in ST 2010, giving a him a jump start on his dynamic .230 regular season. So let’s get it straight: Melky’s .481 proves that he might hit .320 this year…or .280….or .250
    This probably isn’t the interview Craig has in mind but here’s what Dirty said after yesterday’s outing:
    “Left-hander Jonathan Sanchez, still feeling his way after missing much of last season with injuries, felt satisfied with his outing on Tuesday against the Reds despite giving up four runs in two-plus innings.
    “It doesn’t matter what happened. I’m doing my best, throwing my stuff and I’m good,” he said. “Everything feels good.”Sound familiar? It’s what virtually every major league pitcher says as they work out the kinks early.

I haven’t seen the interview about walks, I’d have to see the context also. If it was just about ST, it’s a completely reasonable statement. Anyway, with the exception of Rowand, I’m not saying these players are wished ill fortune, for some reason, Aaron still is. Personally, I’d follow Cousins and hope Rowand takes the last roster spot from him.

• big flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:50 am

it wasn’t about ST. I’ll find it a little later.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

Wasn’t it last year that that came up? Anyway, how about a friendly bet? Dirty wins more games than Zito, Surkamp, or Vogelsong..

8. TedSpe said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:02 am

In case no one noticed—Nipper wrote “fucked”.
    Kind of a milestone

9. Mephisto Dawg said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

Bleep That!!!

10. Mephisto Dawg said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:15 am

WillieD–any word on where the younger Gordon kid is going to go next year? Did you read the article in SI about the sad state of UCLA hoops featuring the Pride of San Jose (Drew Gordon) and the Pride of Modesto* (Reeves Nelson)? I don’t mind seeing UCLA hoops in a bad way, so I was somewhat amused. By the way, I’m worried about my Aztecs having their hands full w NC State, but I predict the Mtn West will have a strong showing in the big dance. New Mex is damn good and CSU runs an offense that is tough to stop.

*really Chuck Hayes is the pride of Modesto

• willieD said, on March 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm

nothing yet…they play semi this weekend vs. Newark Memorial, if they win they are in the State finals for div 11. Gordon is destroying everyone. M-W i hope shows well and holds up west coast ball to scrutiny, gaels too.

11. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

Go Gaels . . .

12. Macdog said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:41 am

Torres missed a couple games due to tightness in his right hip while stretching, but he’s been back in the lineup the last few games. Yes, I’m closely following him this year. And except for 8 or so games, I hope he has a great season.

13. Alleykat said, on March 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

Jusy another asine trade by the pitiful Dubs.Trade your best player.for.the second coming of Ronny Seikaly.And then get Stepen Cancer Jackson back WTF.

And.dump promising.Udoh,and.keep useless Andork.Just a joke.

14. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

Baalke was helping out.

15. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 11:48 am

As long as some of the former players are being tracked, Ishikawa is 6 for 19 2 HR 4 RBI.
    On the Rowand Watch, he’s 0-3 today, now down to .050. It seems some SF bloggers are petitioning for a scoring change to take away his one hit..

• TedSpe said, on March 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Funny

16. big flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Here’s Dirrrrty’s take on walks. Doesn’t seem to concerned with them.

17. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Good article, makes me think he’ll have a good year.

18. big flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Twin, I saw a bet you threw out there about who would win more, Voggy or Dirrrty (I think you threw another Giant in there too). I’m not bagging on Dirrrty, I just thought it was a pretty brazen thing to say: *I don’t care about walks*. He did a pretty good job last year of not allowing those walks to score (as he said in the article). But that doesn’t make it all good. For one thing. even if they don’t score, he still ends up throwing a shit load of pitches and that often turns him into a 5 inning/6 inning guy. I think for the Giants that was ok because Dirrrty could fall back on a rock solid, deep bullpen. He’s not going to have that luxury in KC. Soria’s a stud, that’s about it. It’ll be interesting to see how the Royals get from Dirrty throwing 110 pitches and going 5.2 all the way to Soria in the 9th….
    I just scanned up to check the bet: I get Surkamp, Zito and Voggy? No thanks. None of them are going to be on any of my 5 fantasy teams so why would I bet on them to win more games than Dirrrrty? In fact, Dirrrrty won’t be on any of the 5 teams either. His WHIP is not rosterable and I don’t like the idea of him handing the game over to the KC bullpen in the 5th or 6th inning every start………

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Flav, “was” may be the operative word regarding Soria –

Soria had a down campaign last season as he posted a 4.03 ERA in 60 appearances and blew seven saves. He was also removed as closer briefly. That being said, he pitched well down the stretch with a 2.58 ERA over his final 37 outings. Sunday, he got rocked for three runs on six hits over two innings of work.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:54 pm

My answer above is because I’m not arguing about Dirty. I think he’ll have a nice year. Yes, he will always walk a lot and he will also be one of the most unhittable pitchers in baseball. That’s Dirty. If you think last year is what the future holds, I think you’d be wrong. I think 2010 is what is more likely. 13-9, something like that, 100 walks.

• Alleykat said, on March 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Flav….Twin will throw in Wellenmeyer to help entice you.

19. blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hey Flav, if we are going with an auto-draft, is there any reason you can’t activate it right now? I am in two other leagues – one a live draft and the other autodraft – and we have done all that stuff, so we can get to the business of waiver wire and trades.

• Bozo said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

“so we can get to the business of waiver wire and trades.”
      Blade, I know that wasn’t supposed to crack me up but it did.

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:07 pm

No, actually it was πŸ™‚

Damn, I crack myself up.

20. Sarge said, on March 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Please someone refresh my memory as to why we don’t like Rowand again?

• unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

He sucked and sulked his way through $60 mill?

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Zero indication he sulked. That’s simply not true.

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Chuck, agree with Twin – Cite one time he sulked? He always gave 100% and even though he might have been pissed about sitting last year, he trudged on and didn’t complain. Bochy even said that on numerous occasions.

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’ll go one step further and say that if everyone that played for the Giants gave 100% like Aaron, e.g., run through walls for fly balls, positive attitude, etc., we would be in the playoffs every year.

21. Sarge said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

No, he wasn’t good, but I thought maybe there was something else.

• TedSpe said, on March 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm

There was something else. It was the salary he was being paid.
      Fair or not to put the blame on him for being offered something and taking it. It became sort of a minor “Zito Factor”.

• Alleykat said, on March 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Yeah it was,,his constipation was stinking up the dugout.

22. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Nothing explains the hatred, Sarge. The constipation post comes pretty close to summing up the level that the criticism sunk to.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:24 pm

To be fair, I don’t hate Rowand at all but I hate Zito. For one, he’s the Evil Undead, and he won’t go away. In fact, I have it on good authority that he fathered a child out of wedlock, 12 year old Barry Zito, Jr. who has alrerady agreed in principal to an 8 year contract…He already throws 42 MPH on a slow gun…

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hate the stupidity of the Giants management on that one.

23. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Scott Barnes, the kid who pitched the final three innings today, is the pitcher we gave up for Ryan Garko.

• zumie said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I remember him well. Saw him pitch in Single A. Hope he does well.

24. Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Blade— I’m not moving the auto draft up. The last thing I need is to hear someone whining about their first round pick getting hurt in ST after the draft. i need to make sure everyone has joined, haven’t checked it lately. Then I’ll send out a group email with the auto draft soooooo GET YOUR FUCKING DRAFT LIST SET UP SOON THIS YEAR……
    And I disagree with you about Soria. I could cite about 6 underlying stats (but won’t since you’re *the enemy* that say he’s going to have a nice year and I am getting him in round 14 right now—near beat material for me. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm

n the immortal words of Vizzini (yes, yes, he did die a moment later) – “You only think I guessed wrong! That’s what’s so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!”

Sooooooooo, my point is that my 6 underlying stats would trump your’s Flav. However, as you said, you’re an enemy, along with Dennis, Pawlie, Bozo and the rest of the Flap league managers that lurk here for my gold nuggets, i.e., I will cease and desist from giving you and them pointers about players around the league, until the draft is complete (and perhaps the end of the season). Ha.

πŸ™‚

25. zumie said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Rowand’s batting stance went a long way towards alienating fans. It just looked like a guy who was being unnecessarily stubborn, keeping the goofy stance when he couldn’t hit anymore. Why the heck not try something different?
    But….it’s tough for a player to change something that got them to the “show,” and were successful with. Maybe he did try other stances in the cage, and it was even worse. How could it be worse? Well, that’s something to ponder.

26. Ekkkkkk said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Despite his troubles, Rowand hit 3 hrs and .346 as a PH last yr. Pill gives them that, they would be delighted.

27. zumie said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I was wondering whatever happened to Brandon Hynick, and just looked him up. I saw him in Single A several years ago, and he was so dominant that season. He seemed like he could be on the fast-track to the majors; but it didn’t work out that way. I think he had some arm issues in AA. He’s gone from the Rockies organization, to the White Sox organization, and now he’s at the Reds’ AAA team, and hasn’t put up good numbers in AAA yet.

• zumie said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Baseball can be a tough gig.

28. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

That fans would presume to know more about Rowand’s stance and what it should be than his coaches is ridiculous.It’s true that his stance alienated fans, proof of the absurdity of much of the alienation.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

His first two years here, Rowand hit what he should be have been expected to hit, based on his previous numbers. Sabean was foolish to expect more based on a career year in a bandbox and so were we. After those first two years, most likely the beating he gave his body just caught up with him.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm

He played himself into an early retirement if it doesn’t work for him this season.

29. Sierra Nevada said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm

The Giants had to overpay for Rowand. People underestimate what the climate was in the immediate post Bonds years. Nobody wanted to come here. The perception of the Giants ballpark and clubhouse was not attractive. Sabean and management went with sound reasoning: if you are gonna overpay and not get much talent in return, overpay for a guy who works hard and is willing to run through walls.

Yeah, Rowand mostly sucked. But his signing was a big part of changing the culture of the Giants from what it was in the Bonds years, and that was a big part of winning the World Series. I may not be grateful for Rowands work at the plate, but I am grateful to him for the small but significant part he played in helping them become the kind of team that could win a championship.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm

MLB is full of players that suck after obtaining big contracts. The Giants are not the only ones stuck with these things.

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Good unbiased post SN.

30. TedSpe said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I see Posey got his first ST hit. To quote whathisname. “AND IT’S OUTTA HERE!!!”

31. Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I could have given less than the 2 shits he was appearing to take about his stance. I liked Terry Whitfield and his stance was absurd.
    What I didn’t like was the 1,432,859,395 ground balls that he rolled to the left side of the infield. I wasn’t too partial to the sliders he one-arm whiffed at 94.68% of the time either……..
    And I don’t wish Rowand well or unwell. I could care less about his life from here on out……
    Now, do I care about Ross and Torres? Hell yeah, if either gives me a bounce back year those mid-20 round picks will be gold. Now I DO wish those 2 cats well, regardless, because they were integral to our WS win. Dirrrrrty Sanchez too.
    Rowand? I’ll always remember him positively and appreciate him for one single play—the catch he made to save Dirrrrty’s no-no was epic. But that’s it………

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm

A one hand clap?

32. Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Call me unsentimental, but I’m not seeing why people are boo-hooin’ this Dubs trade. Monta was an exciting player but *buh bye*. The Warriors were stuck and I’m tired of having a shitty record 90% of the time in March.
    Here’s the deal: Bogut may not be the answer (though I am hopeful that he is). But if we get a lotto pick this year and Bogut hurts himself again we likely get a top 3 pick the following year and now we are talking about 2 new studs to add to the team in 2013-2014. I’d have to go back and look, but I think that year is protecting in the top 6.
    And if Bogut is good to go next year and we pull some stud out of the upcoming draft (and has anyone looked at our April schedule? Ha, lotto, HERE WE COME!!!!!) then we are now talking about a team that at least has the potential to go somewhere other than maybe, perhaps, cross both fingers and clip our high tops together 3 times that we might snag the 8 spot in the playoffs *next year*.
    It’s time to shoot for something better……..

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Riley admitted the Warriors had to make a move with a sub .500 record and no good real 5.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm

How did Riley keep his job? Right there we should have questioned the newbies judgement.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Management can tank the season but Captain Jack will see to it the players don’t. But here’s the problem: coach and new owners lied about their goals for this year, and there is zero reason to think it will now be any different than under previous management. Blah blah lottery pick. Fans rightfully expect a HEALTHY front line player in return for a dynamic top 10 scorer and extremely promising young big man- not a hospital patient…
      IMHO

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I respectfully disagree. Legit 7 foot centers don’t grow on trees. If Bogut is healthy right now this deal doesn’t go down. And then where are we? Stuck with the same shit. I like what the ownership group did. They made a bold move to FINALLY get a legitimate big man instead of Biedrens and the 16 guards we usually seem to have on the roster. They’re tired of the status quo, as we all are.

33. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Well, as I said, we got what his previous record suggested we would. He did his best as far as any of us know, he does not deserve the animus.
    BTW, it was just one play, but we likely do not win game 4 of the NLCS without his throw and Buster’s catch and tag that cut down Ruiz in our 6-5 win. So he did contribute in the postseason. He also contributed by being a man about losing his starting gig.
    And gee, I didn’t know his pinch hitting was THAT good last year. Hell, cut Pill. WE WANT AARON!! ROHAND! ROHAND!

34. DJLoo said, on March 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I’ll never forget Rowand’s Mother’s Day homer at Citifield in 2010 into a cold hard wind. Gave ’em a huge late inning come from behind win after a couple of heartbreaking losses as I recall…

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm

is that the one you missed cause you were looking up some chick’s skirt as she walked up the steps?

• DJLoo said, on March 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Different day, Flav. I missed the beaning of Wright by Cain. Pawlie was there that day, too. I think he once said he remembered that chick…

35. Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Wright didn’t actually get beaned by Cain. He walked him on 4 pitches and then Wright decided to get all dramatic and shit.
    Don’t you kinda have to go with my take?

36. Alleykat said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Maybe Rowand can go back to his alma mater Fullerton St after he flames out this spring,and apply for the hitting coach job.Sure that those college kids all want to try that stance.Top notch program destroyed in one season.

37. blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Speaking of Wright . . . umm, Dorell . . . He’s been lights out the last 3 games (15 points, 2 threes, 7 rebounds, and a steal in the first half). Warriors up by 5 over the Celtics.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm

all I had to do was call him out and look what happened! πŸ™‚

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Well thanks . . . I had the inside track for the FL bball championship, but it is becoming more of a lock this last week, especially with key injuries to other team’s players I’m against, e.g., Rubio, Lowry, Rose, etc.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm

props to you for finding interest in fantasy basketball. I played a few seasons of fantasy football a long time ago and zero fantasy basketball. Fantasy baseball was always the game for me. I have friends who literally know NOTHING about baseball who play high stakes fantasy baseball—they’re all math geeks. They do ok, too. To me, there is zero intersection with fantasy baseball and other sports. I just don’t get the allure……

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I feel that way about FL football . . . Too hard to consistently pick players that will perform. I won a Championship the first year I played, but this year, I didn’t make the playoffs in both leagues I was in. One included defensive players – now that is really hard to keep on top of. Basically, too many factors you have to be on top of compared to baseball and basketball. Moreover, the players almost always perform consistently in these two sports, whereas football is too dependent on certain players performing and influencing other players. Example – if you quarterback is shit, it doesn’t matter that you have Fitzgerald or for that matter, Jerry fucking all world rice. Same thing with your running game if the team he is on is behind by a zillion points. I got burned so many times last year, even though I had good running backs . . . teams they were on sucked, so they never got used after the first half.

38. Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Rowand’s stance was always just some ongoing, meandering last chance stand to stay in the big leagues. He was done years ago, at least in terms of a player who could contribute CONSISTENTLY.
    All the *single game* stuff that he contributed is nice but it doesn’t come close to trumping the tsunami of failure that flooded over that shit. The contract wasn’t the issue. He was given WAY too much rope, WAY too many chances to play after it became clear that he shouldn’t be playing regularly……..

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, we had no one else to replace Rowand, unless you’re referring to the ball dude.

• twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Steve is absolutely correct, as usual. Rowand was replaced as a regular starter when Burrell showed he still had something left. Until then, he was one of our three best OFers as borne out by his WAR his first two years.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

not having anyone to replace him doesn’t give him fucking value, lol.

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

That is amusing, and gold, BF…

39. Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm

If the Warriors beat the Celts tonight it’s time to start examining the drag that Curry and Monta were inflicting on the team. LQTM………

40. blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Warriors gave it all they had, but Garnett nailed a 20 footer from the left wing with 5 seconds left. Warriors lose by two, 105-103. Good night all . . .

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm

April will bring us to the Promised Land. The 7 pick is coming………

• St said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Perfect! A fun, entertaining, hard fought game and a loss. Keep it up and get a top pick. Thompson looks ready. Can’t wait till next yr.

41. snarkk said, on March 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Wow, a lotta Rohand on this thread.
    A lot of guys look better than they really were — after they leave. No exception in this case…

42. TedSpe said, on March 14, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Flavor said, on March 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm
    In re: Rowand ” The contract wasn’t the issue.”
    —————————————————————-
    Sorry. Right or wrong. That was hugely the *hostility* of the fans towards Rowand. Besides all the “diaper” jokes.

43. TedSpe said, on March 15, 2012 at 12:09 am

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

44. unca_chuck said, on March 15, 2012 at 8:39 am

Did you take my post down re: Rowand?

I mentioned those 2 pays as being the highlights of Rowand’s career here. The Drrrty catch in the 9th and the gunning out of the Phillie in the NLCS . . .