A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Poll Results: Looking Back on Your Votes

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 16, 2012

Since one of my great skills in life is coming up with awesome baseball polls that cause zero controversy and are completely fair and devoid of bias,  I thought I’d look back and see how past polls shook out. How did the consensus do on actual *outcomes*. The last one doesn’t have an outcome yet. And a few don’t have outcomes, they just show how everyone felt *at the time* the poll was taken. Anyway, let’s take a look:

July 7th, 2010 What should the Giants do with Renteria?

10/30/2010 Who will be *your guy* from the 2010 team?

11/30/2010 Who will be our 2011 shortstop?

2/24/2011 What will the Giants do with Rowand?

6/26/2011 Would you trade Dirrrrrrty for Jose Reyes?

7/22/2011 Who do you think is going to rebound this year?

11/8/2011 As a Giants fan, do you support the trade of Dirrrrty for Melky?

12/7/2011 Do you support the trade of Vungo for Pagan?

This next one is long, sorry, but I wanted to fit the entire roster in and I had to snip it twice because it was too big.

11/23/2011 From the 2011 Giants roster, who will never play in the major leagues again?

Anyway, just a reminder that you might forget about the poll you vote on but the results never go away. Muhuhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:13 am

GH and CHuck:
    accept the fantasy invitations I sent you. They maybe have gone into your spam filter. Try to find them, if you can’t shoot me an email that will work and I’ll re-send.

• blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:49 am

GH and Chuck should draft last since they are still in football mode or whatever the hell their mind is that they can’t join the league in a timely manner. Just sayin’

2. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:40 am

Blade (and anyone else wondering)– you can find your draft order by going to your team page. It’s underneath your team name and to the right of your team logo (if you have one)

3. blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:47 am

Yeah, I saw it and I hate it. Grrrrrrrrrrr . . . I have joined the Dennis disciples wanting a live draft. How many do they number (probably just me and him, huh? LOL)?

4. Bozo said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:04 am

Crap – I’m one louder in the draft.
    blade – I was OK with the live draft.

• blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:06 am

Ahhh . . . ok, that is 3. What do you mean “one louder?”

• Bozo said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:17 am

I’m 11 in the draft order. The amps for Spinal Tap went to eleven.

“Nigel Tufnel: Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You’re on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you’re on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
        Marty DiBergi: I don’t know.
        Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
        Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
        Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder. “

• blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:22 am

Good one Clown!

5. blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:11 am

By the by, anyone wanting to know why Intel still has 36% more profit left in it, coupled with the 3% plus dividend (i.e., it is at 27.90 and will zoom to 38), give me a shout via email . . . No, I am not responsible if you lose your wife, kid’s education fund, house, 401k, etc. HA!

OK, back to your normal baseball stations 🙂

6. blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:27 am

Actually, if we go auto draft or live draft, I’m easy with. I just hate my draft position. 🙂

7. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:38 am

draft order is pretty meaningless, you just have to adjust your strategy accordingly. You’re at 12 but you also get pick 13. A lot of owners like taking 2 picks in a row as opposed to the guy who drafts first and then not again till 25.
    These leagues aren’t won in the first few rounds anyway— it’s all about luck (staying healthy), deft, skillful management of the waiver wire and trades that work out for you…..

8. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:29 am

Side note: the plan was to hit the “randomize draft order ” button once and be done with it. Exception: had I scored the #1 pick I woulda hit it again. Wouldn’t have wanted to deal with the conspiracy theories!

• Bozo said, on March 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Good thing MLB Comish isn’t decided by a vote by the FFL owners. You’d beat Selig in a landslide.

9. Kevin said, on March 16, 2012 at 9:23 am

Draft 3rd, I like it!!

10. Kevin said, on March 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

Flav check this out for a beach Babe, A true one!!

11. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

I thought the thread was about the polls..anyway, can’t find the one about who will never play again- I checked all of November 2011, not there that I could find.

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

Mort reports the Niners are the 3rd team in on Manning. He worked out for Jimbo last week.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

13. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

From Mort: Harbaugh and OC Greg Roman watched Manning throw at Duke on Tues night; impressive enough to send doctor next day to give physical exam.

Please, Lord. I beg thee.

14. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

It makes sense after Alex didn’t take their offer.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Boo-fucking-hoo. You can be a Seahawk fan when Alex sucks Donkey Kong up there this year.

• twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:32 am

Who’s crying? Alex didn’t go for their deal so they’re looking at their second choice. As I said, makes sense.

15. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

From Sando:
    “The 49ers’ involvement, rather than causing a delay with Smith, might also reflect the state of negotiations. It is possible Smith is asking for more money than the 49ers are offering, leading the team to explore options that could, in turn, bring Smith back to the table. “

16. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

Death Threat, you’ve been instructed to take your Smith hatred elsewhere…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m just showing my love for Peyton Manning.

17. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Possible Manning as a Niner matchups next year: Manning vs Rodgers; Manning vs Brees; Manning vs Brady and when the Giants come the ‘Stick, Manning vs Manning. That would be the highest rated regular season game of all-time.

18. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

Well, it’s interesting. If they did sign him, the only acceptable outcome in 2012 would be reaching the Super Bowl. Zero honeymoon or slack for him or Jimbo, especially after stocking up on criminals..

19. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

What makes it tough to believe it happening is Harbaugh’s justified ego. It would become Manning’s offense and really, Manning’s team..

• Kevin said, on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, that was reported also, that Harbaugh would have to put his offensive style on the back burner and let Manning run the offense. I just don’t see that happening, but who knows. And the SB or bust thing is also legit, Manning is not getting any younger and the fans know it. If they get Manning and the niners don’t go this year?? the chance of going gets slimmer and slimmer.

20. snarkk said, on March 16, 2012 at 11:51 am

Manning is turning into Waldo. He pops up everywhere…

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Andy Pettitte is back with the Yankees. Shit. He’s older than Manning.

22. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I don’t think it can be taken seriously until/if he actually shows up at the 49er complex.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

My Friday NCAA bracket is doing it’s best impression of a Russell Baze horse on the backstretch —
    it’s taking a huge dump.

• TedSpe said, on March 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm

That reminds me, Dennis, I was emaning to ask you were you a fan of that TV show on HBO called LUCK that just got cancelled because too many of the equine actors kept having to be euthanized?

• TedSpe said, on March 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Uh…”meaning” to ask you

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Ted, a serious question deserves a serious answer. Yes. I watched all of the episodes of “Luck” on HBO. My horse racing connections aside, I didn’t have any with “inside knowledge” this show, I was just a fan and viewer with the rest of America. After the first episode, I thought is SUCKED. It was miscast. Hoffman as the heavy and Dennis Farina as his subservient? No dice. It got better, the group of the 4 degenerates (starring Jason Gedrick and Kevin Dunn) really ran the show. And Nick Nolte as the “old-time” trainer with his heart on his sleeve did a magnificent job in his role.

The technical aspects were off: When the “bums” won the PK 6, the possible payoffs shown on the TV were way off, and the winning race they showed had the horses going around the far turn 3 or 4 times in the same race. Last time I checked, SA doesn’t run any 2 1/2 mile races.

The acting was aboveboard. Ex-jock GL Stevens played an ex-drunk trying to keep his mount. Richard Kind did a marvelous job as a speech-impediment jock agent. But my Emmy would have gone to Nick Nolte, who played the old-time trainer looking for that last chance in life. He was really good.

Sorry, I digressed about your question about the horses dying. I’ve been around long to know there really isn’t a right or wrong answer. If there is? Please tell me. All I know is that horses dying is a part of the game. It happens all the time. Too much for my liking. And that has all to so with breeding. But that’s a subject for another day.

Horses are bred to run. They love to run. Shit. They need to run. If they don’t, you’re not a horse fan.
        Let the horses run!

Her’es my favorite clip from “Luck.” Enjoy, or not…

• TedSpe said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Thanks Dennis

24. eddacker said, on March 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Damn, I stayed up last night planning my draft from the eleven hole (I was team 11, sophomore error already)
    I think I like that better than 4. four is a black hole. who gets power pickin’ in the 30s?
    OH, and despite the time difference, I’d try a live draft

25. snarkk said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I posted on the SF Gate Niner Insider how laughable it was that their and all the other media “Insiders” following the Niners had no clue about this Manning story, and it took Mortensen and the national media to scoop them. They removed the post as “abusive”….

• Alleykat said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Classic Snarkk….Abusive just cause they got scooped.Screw the gate and the imbecilles who run it.

• TedSpe said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Yeah, a bunch of imbecilles heels

• snarkk said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I just re-posted it, in a little less colorful form. We’ll see how long it lasts. “Insiders”. What a crock. The other day Maiocco was totally at a loss as to why Alex was not signed yet — he guessed it was because of the number of years. Now we know the reason — as reported by the “Outsiders”…

• snarkk said, on March 16, 2012 at 4:47 pm

A poster on SFGate says the local media doesn’t have the resources to dig up this story since Harbaugh and Roman and whoever else met Manning at Duke. Ok. I’m an Insider. I go to 4949 every day and ask the PR guy, as usual, what’s going on? Nothing. Where’s Harbaugh? I dunno. Is he here? No. Where’s Roman, can he talk? Not here. Hmmm. When are they back, lunch? Uh, maybe tomorrow. Hmmm. Where are they? Uh, can’t say. Interesting, are they in the area? Can’t say. At that point, the Insider starts thinking — Alex isn’t signed, HC and OC both gone, PR guy is making like the CIA, and I start making some calls to find out where Harbaugh went…

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Missouri can go kiss my ass. Fuck them.

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Are we still going to have an AUTOPICK DRAFT for the Flap Fantasy League?

You can kiss my ass.

Side note: why do they still allow………..?

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm

OK, time for your old friend Del Mar to give you his top 5 Derby picks…

1)The Godfather (El Padrino) But no one should call him that. Ask my buddy, Bob Neumeier.
    2) Union Rags. His last race was a corker. Especially when he was only 80%.
    3 )Creative Cause. Super as a 2 yo, only getting better as a 3 yo…
    4) Hansen The 2 yo Champ learned how to rate. Distance only question?
    5) Bodemeister It’s Baffert ferchrissakes! And his stoopid son. Bode Time!

29. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Dennis– yes, we are having an auto pick draft. March 25th, I think it’s 5am. Try to get your draft list set by then.
    And I have mercifully just *edited* your posts instead of deleting them and/or writing something instead that would make you look dumb–or at least *dumber* than those racist comments. Raise your game, my friend…….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Racist comments? Not by me. I HATE everyone.

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

You aren’t going to care about this post, but it’s my blog and I do what I like……
        Dude, what has happened to you? When you came on the scene 3 or 4 years ago you were a breath of fresh air. You were nice to everyone, you were funny, you were positive and you never seemed bothered by a blogger going after you. And it didn’t seem like a shtick, you rolled that way for at least a year, maybe more…….
        Now, it’s like someone has hijacked your handle or something. I recognize that people change or they aren’t who they appeared to be, all that jazz. But goddamn, you’ve done a fuckin’ 180…….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:12 pm

WRONG: I do care about this and EVERY post you make. I think it’s evident that I’ve been a life-long follower of the Flap since Day 1. Check the books. Not that there’s any award forthcoming, but I think I, Del Mar Dennis, was the first to post on your blog(s) from the get-go.

What really hurts me is that you think I’m no longer funny. That’s a punch in my gut.
        You just right-hooked me into “Chuck’s Land.”

I’ll be goddamned if I’m lumped into Chuck’s ability to tell a joke…

Remember, God loves drunk people too…

A man and his wife were awakened at 3:00 am by a loud pounding on the door.
        The man gets up and goes to the door where a drunken stranger, standing in the pouring rain, is asking for a push.

“Not a chance,” says the husband, “it is 3:00 in the morning!”

He slams the door and returns to bed.

“Who was that?” asked his wife.

“Just some drunk guy asking for a push,” he answers.

“Did you help him?” she asks.

“No, I did not, it is 3:00 in the morning and it is pouring rain out there!”

“Well, you have a short memory,” says his wife.
        “Can’t you remember about three months ago when we broke down, and those two guys helped us?
        I think you should help him, and you should be ashamed of yourself!
        God loves drunk people too.”

The man does as he is told, gets dressed, and goes out into the pounding rain.

He calls out into the dark, “Hello, are you still there?”

“Yes,” comes back the answer.

“Do you still need a push?” calls out the husband.

“Yes, please!” comes the reply from the dark.

“Where are you?” asks the husband.

“Over here on the swing set,” replied the drunk.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email transmission and any attachments to it may contain confidential

30. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I’m going to be extremely disappointed if the Niners sign Manning. The short and long term possible negative outcomes are huge. And they’ve already fucked this up by even entertaining it as the fallout is direct disrespect to Alex Smith—the guy who likely will be their QB next year…..
    But if they sign him, I’ll root for him because he would be the quarterback of my team. Seems like a fairly obvious thing, but we know that isn’t the case for everyone……

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Our bet’s still on, no? We never differentiated the teams that Peyton and Alex would play for next next year. If Peyton starts for our Niners and Alex starts for the Seahawks next year. That’s all good. It was all about who would have the best TD/INT Ratio and what not. Don’t pussy out now.

Peyton vs Alex: Denny vs Flavor: You make the choice.

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm

yes, the bet is still on. If they both start Opening Day for a team in 2012 (or very close to opening day), we will look at TD-interceptions, whoever has the higher number wins.
        you win, I let you post whatever you want about Alex Smith for 100 days (no more than a couple posts a day). I win, you don’t visit my blog for 100 days. Good luck to you. And stop talking your usual, ignorant shit. I don’t have to listen to a blowhard. You are WRONG about everything, Dennis. You proved that last year with all of your idiotic Niner opinions…..I’m not going to sit here on my blog and read all your drivel until you finally lose the bet and then you finally shut the fuck up. So, I will be editing your post below. If you don’t like that, then stop posting stupid shit and breaking the rule that I’ve laid out for you countless times……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

regarding Alex Smith, I find him to be one of the top 3 QB’s in either league—maybe top 3 who have ever played the game. I sincerely hope the Niners DO NOT sign Manning. That would be an epic mistake……..

31. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

They have to sign Manning now, they’ve already fucked the pooch..

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm

well, I still hope they don’t sign him but I agree with you, the Niners have fucked up what should have been a very simple process. Sign Alex Smith as your QB. How hard should that have been to do?

32. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm

So what’s the O/U on what Monta drops on Oakland tonight? 35.5? That’s the line I’m setting and I’m already betting the over……..

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Luke: 4: 1-5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. [6] And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. [7] So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”

Now Michigan done do me wrong. May their mothers die of slow pancreatic cancer.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Flav, I’m already in hell. I guess you’re asking for a spot with those moves.
      Welcome aboard. I got bottom bunk. My broken lt. hip still me first disabled hop…

34. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Flav, I don’t know what you did with my comment, but that’s not right.
    That’s not right.

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:38 pm

SOP on posts that break rules here. I’ve told you a thousand times.

• DJLoo said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:12 pm

So you’re OK with the pancreatic cancer remark?

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm

? I can’t flag em all. What time?

35. Bozo said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:35 pm

My guess is the Niners wanted a home town discount and Smith wanted a payday. Talking to Manning only pushes the Smith contract along (one way or the other). If they were trying to get a home town discount from Smith I doubt the Niners want to go higher than the 60 mil that Denver is reported to have offered for Manning.
    If it is a bluff that’s happening and Alex doesn’t buy in, that would be fucked up (unless they have a trade worked out for Brees).

36. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Despite all the blather like it would be a sure thing, reaching the Super Bowl ain’t easy. But Manning would (or should ) rightfully have no other expectation. If Alex got no slack even though it was the botched punt returns that foiled their run, Manning better have no excuse. “Two broken legs? Suck it up, pal …”

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm

It’s a stupid idea to sign Manning and my expectations are low. WHEN he gets hurt I’m going to laugh at the dumbasses who *bet on the back of football card*….
      I sure hope he can feel his fingers one of these days, he’s gonna need to get that going probably……..

37. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm

There is going to come a time, not sure when… but my comments will be taken with sincerity

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm

dude, I don’t doubt they’re *sincere* at least most of them. I just think that the majority of them are dead fucking wrong and the sheer frequency of them is annoying as hell. Build some credibility by being *right* for a while……..

38. Alleykat said, on March 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hell Yeah!!!, How about those Mountain Hawks of Lehigh knocking off Duke 73-70!

Especially being sweet being one of my teams!!!!

• Bozo said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Well I’m fucked. But I’m sure someone is going to enjoy my contribution to the pool.

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Flav, maybe you’ve already done it, but I’d appreciate another2nd poll…,

Dirrrty Sanchez or Jose Reyes? Who I might add, will be a 2nd rd pk in most drafts.
    Dirrrrty? Do some laundry. I need a sleeper. I got one, can’t really be sleeper in the late/fisrt2nd rd, but I like Gonzo.. Enough of my inside info…I think I better divert my attention HanRam and Miggy…

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm

In hindsight, it would still have been a terrible move to trade Dirrrrrty for Reyes. He was hurt in the second half and even healthy he would have looked pretty dumb standing on third base without scoring every game.
      Plus we got a very affordable 200 hit hitter to play this year while Reyes is in Florida.
      It would have been disastrous to trade Dirty for Reyes…

40. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Denny, do you ever let go of anything?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 17, 2012 at 3:13 am

TF, it’s tough. I’m gonna try and let go now. Good evening.

41. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Jim Barnett says he hadn’t been this excited about an upcoming Dubs season in at least 20 yrs. I’m right there with him.
    Monta scores 45 tonight.

42. Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Monta had a +17 after the first quarter. I don’t think he’s ever seen a number like that next to his name before…..

43. Bozo said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm

So I’m sitting in this bar. The guy next to me is pretty beat up and after joking around a bit, I ask him what happened to his face. He tells me, well I was using a blow dryer on my dick when my wife walked in, She asked me what I was doing and to make a long story short, I shouldn’t have told her I was warming up her dinner.

So on that note Flaps, goodnight gentleman Ted and the Question Marks.

• Flavor said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

ouch. Anytime a dude at a bar starts a convo about his beaten up face with “I was using a blow dryer on my dick…” It is time to pick my shit up and head home for a phone call from the bar 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Sounds like a good one for Bizarre ER…

44. twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Over on Chuck’s blog, Grumpy is already making excuses for why the team might not do as well under Manning as they did this year with Alex..

45. blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Xavier just tied N. Dame . . . Need them to win so I sweep the rest of the games in my bracket this evening.

46. blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

“. . . Niners want to go higher than the 60 mil that Denver is reported to have offered for Manning.”

Not certain it is the Niners offering 90 million for five years, but that number blows the 60 that Denver is offering (reportedly) out of the water.

• twinfan1 said, on March 16, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Denver is offerring 90 million, not 60.

• blade3colorado said, on March 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Quoting the clown.

47. TedSpe said, on March 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Nothing for nothing but…my feet stink. Fucking rain