A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Cerebral Sunday Morning Musings……..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 25, 2012

* If BOTH Burriss AND Blanco are in the starting line up on Opening Day then I’d put the D-backs at about -200 to win that game….

* Can someone explain to me what the problem would be with Posey playing first base vs lefty pitchers and taking a day off a week to rest? That gives Sanchez 3 days a week behind the dish plus an outstanding switch hitting bat off the bench when Posey starts…..

* when the news broke that BOTH Fontenot AND Theriot were hitting the trade block, what was there more of, crickets chirping or hyena’s howling? Could be time for a little more *showcasing*…….

* Pablo is hitting .200 this spring……..

* Huff’s done enough to win the 1 bag job. Have Pagan (.191 ba) and Nate (consistently underwhelming) done enough to lose their outfield jobs? Who’s up for a Belt/Melk/Blanc starting outfield on opening day, lol.

* over/under on number of games Voggy wins this year: 7.5

* Kevin drafted 8 closers. Just sayin’…..

* Dirt drafted Pablo in the first round. When he wins the NL MVP, he will be the one laughing at us…….

1. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:04 am

Check your email Flav.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:07 am

Yes, later this am. At gym now

2. gianthead said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:06 am

How the F did I end up with Brent Morel as my starting third baseman???

Who the F is Brent Morel?

3. gianthead said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:07 am

My other f up is I thought I had Starlin Castro ahead of Jimmy Rollins…I also could have had Buster instead of Coco Frickin Crisp…..hate auto draft:(

4. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:28 am

LOL . . . GH you had no chance for Castro, i.e., I set my 6th round for SS and moved Castro exactly to my spot in the draft (61). In fact, I got exactly what I wanted (player and position) for the first 6 rounds of the draft (2nd base, SS, 3rd base, Catcher, Pitcher, SS and the players corresponding to those positions, exception being Beltre, who fell to me – quite happy with that – because Dirt took Pablo).

5. TedSpe said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

That’s why I can’t participate in these FLs. *Way* too much tension

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:02 am

LOL Ted. All fun my man.

6. paulinasia said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:59 am

“If BOTH Burriss AND Blanco are in the starting line up on Opening Day…”
    “Who’s up for a Belt/Melk/Blanc starting outfield on opening day…”

Maybe not on Opening Day…. but at some point not long into the season, quite possibly.

7. dirtnrocks said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:04 am

I was worried about that. I messed around with the rankings last week. Between work and hittin the slopes this weekend I never revisited. Ah, well. Onward and upward.

8. zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:13 am

I think the general theme of BF’s post today is that the optimism for the offense is a bit curtailed lately, for some of us. The dauber’s not completely down, but it’s gotten a little droopy in the last week.

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:04 am

Here are the ST numbers for who I think will be in the LU opening day. I have both Huff and Nate in because I think that’s the one spot up fror grabs. With Melky going to RF and Huff to left if it’s Aubrey. Since you must be going on ST numbers, Z, that’s what I’ve listed. I don’t see a big reason to get all droopy. But the theme this spring has definitely been that way here, buck up. I’m sure Panda will will borrow a few points from the .400 hitters, Pagan, as well.
      Posey .318
      Belt .380
      Burriss .405
      Crawford .333
      Panda .200
      Melky .400
      Pagan .191
      Huff .275
      Nate .250

9. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:38 am

Ted, here is the Charley Sheen commercial I mentioned last night . . .

10. twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

Bochy is becoming more and more open to Hector making the team, and not as the third catcher. As I’ve made pretty clear after watching 50+ seasons, managers change their minds all the time, and it’s a good thing…
    Belt has destroyed Huff in the battle at first. Brandon will open at 1B and Huff will open in LF. Huff is iffier, being dependant on Nate fucking up, but that’s a pretty good bet.Blanco will not be in the starting LU opening day, that willl come in a few weeks. It doesn’t seem they’ll do this but Posey should catch or sit…Burriss was no brainer to start for Freddy. It’s not just ST numbers at the plate- he’s driving the ball, running, and ( according to Pavlovic, his defense has been better.
    IMO, all of this…

• zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Golden opportunity for Burriss to “Wally Pipp” someone. We’ll see if he’s improved enough to seal the deal.

• Alleykat said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:26 am

I see it that way as well Twin.Belt needs to be the 1B especially with Burris manning 2B for now.They need Belt’s glove over Huff their.Huff im ok with in LF he won’t butcher balls there as much as RF which is just to large a space for him to play.inor league AB

Would still like my guy Brett Pill to get a spot start for Huff or Belt who ever might be slumping since both or LH and The “Pill Box” plays both their positions..I know your some what down I this guy.but im not.i think this guy just puts up numbers with power and not overwhelmed at the plate maybe due to alll the minor league AB’s.Yeah he could flame out like a “Randy Elliot,Damon Minor,Todd Linden, Skip “Albino “James.I just don’ t see it though.This guy has a “Confident Attitude” about him and I just want him out there knocking in runs.

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 11:19 am

Here’s what I posted about Pill yesterday:
        “I agree with ST about Pill.. I suspect he’s a AAAA guy, but he’s perserverd and he’s shown plenty enough to warrant getting a real shot. What does it show as an organization if a guy like that gets no chance after doing everything asked ? I used to be for just sending him back down but, as I said- you have to give a guy like him a chance if the roster numbers work. In my revised opinion”

11. paulinasia said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:52 am

Yeah, I almost said in my earlier post that you probably switch Huff and Belt. Blanco, who knows, but it’s possible that Pagan will not be the one replacing Torres as this year’s ‘make things happen’ guy, but rather Blanco. And I also think Pagan will be ok too. Of course there are a lot of ifs, but there are also a bunch of pieces to work with; that’s the way 2010 went and Bochy handled it well. And it would be nice if Burriss makes it impossible to take him out of the lineup. I’d love to be Bochy, this could be a fun team.

12. willieD said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

I don’t have an issue with that OF (Posey at 1b and Hector at C) if Pagan struggles. Blanco has a hist of high OB, and either he or Melk could play CF. I don’t think Pagan gets the leash you talked about, flav–if he is at .190 (like now) through April, he’ll sit a couple days a week, and spots get filled in around the corners.
    I also think Burriss does get a long leash, and if he’s halfway decent might shove crawford to the bench for a day or two a week until FS is ready. The speed guys have to get on base, and also have to field well to stay in there. Now that there’s more of them, hopefully they provide way more opps for the power guys.
    The power guys in the middle, with more guys on base and pitchers in the stretch and worried about runners, should have easier time of it. Belt looks great so far and I’d like to see him in there every day, whether he’s in LF (posey at 1b) or 1b (where he plays good D).

13. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:25 am

This team rocks with the additional options this year. I like Pagan, Blanco, Melky, Belt, and Pill . . . Not even worried about the cluster fuck at 2nd and Short. I actually think that Crawford and Burris will surprise. Don’t write off Glass either, another bullet we have later in the season hopefully.

Posey and Panda are like gaining two new players, at least that’s how I look at it. Pitching is going to be even better this year, with Bum maturing and I LIKE Zito as are 4th or 5th starter (I don’t understand all the angst about him – especially since he NO LONGER IS TABBED AS THE FAUX 1, 2, OR 3 . . . As a 4 or 5, he is perfect).

Botchy will make all this work and believe me, he loves having all these options vs. last year (when I think he felt beholden to the Championship players, e.g., Ross, Huff, etc.). Sabean did a fantastic job, recognizing that the payroll was going to be at a certain level and he only had a limited amount of funds to spend. Get on board Flappers! I see another Division title coming our way and perhaps . . . Who knows? 🙂

• Alleykat said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:52 am

Which train do you want us to board Blade? Freedom train,Soul train.Flap train,Polar Express or maybe just a bus ride to Cartagena?

14. St said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:58 am

“…I LIKE Zito..

Blade, did you smuggle in some ayahuasca? 😉

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

LOL . . . Nah, quit that shit in my 20s St.

Hey, it’s not me paying him. As long as our three horses are going strong, Zito can pitch 4 or 5 (my preference). Go check and see how many fives have done as well as him over the last few years.

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm

How about 5’s who used to be 1’s?

• St said, on March 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I tend to agree with you. I actually find the whole Zito thing interesting and amusing. Sure, he drives me bat crazy but I can’t work up a real hatred for the guy like some.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Mike, you even more than me or anyone else here – have rarely dissed any player, especially a Giant player. I know you are half-grinning when you say that Zito is “evil.”

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Well, I also said he should be eaten by sharks, and all these folks with their incredible senses of humor thought that was serious. No, I don’t HATE him and I don’t really believe that he’s the Prince of Darkness… with that said, I’d guess that I do like him better than I do Vlad the Impaler….

15. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:58 am

Has enough time elapsed so I can begin bitching about the results of the autopick draft? Just kidding. With a minor few exceptions, I’m actually quite pleased with how things turned out. I got quite a few of the players I had targeted in each specific round. I actually had targeted Upton with my first pick, but didn’t count on The Horse going third overall and dropping “Joey Bats” down a few pegs. No complaints. Cargo, Bourn, Hamilton, Youk, Kendrick, Boesch and this year’s CBPOTY Adam “I’m not” Dunn were also guys I maneuvered for and received. Got five SP’s on my list as well. Now I just need to go find and/or trade for some saves.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 10:00 am

you and me both. I think Kevin has a few to spare……

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm

This just in: those kids at Kentucky can play a little basketball. Goddamn are they good.

KU vs UNC next. I think a lot of you have the Tar Heels winning it all. I got the kids from Lawrence.

Rock, Chalk Jayhawk!

17. snarkk said, on March 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Only a matter of time during the season before the Zitotrain wrecks. He’s showing his midseason wildness, 82 mph fastball, and reluctance to pitch even close to power hitters. Will he make it through May before the mystery injury? My guess is he’s done by mid June, latest. All I know is that Surkamp better get his curveball in shape and sharpen up the control. He’ll be needing it…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm

He just gave up back-to-back jacks to the ChiSox. He’s through after just 2 1/3. Tidy 4.71 WHIP today.

18. Brian said, on March 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Zito in mid-season form today

19. snarkk said, on March 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Uh, maybe I was too optimistic. ChiSox now in full beat down mode on Zito after just cranking two rocket HRs to left. 5-1 now in the third, he’s getting smoked with 9 hits — Bochy pulls him after 2.1 innings. Only 37 pitches. Looks like that consult with Tom House really worked wonders. When will they just end this charade?…

20. zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm

There are some terrific players on the Kentucky team, but those one-and-done-ers make a bigger mockery of college sports than it already is. How many of those one-and-done-ers are even going to go to classes after the season is over, during their “one year” of college? What a joke.

• willieD said, on March 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

i agree with you zum, I just don’t know any way around it. Nantz was grilling the ncaa guy, who said if it was up to him no one could go nba until they had 3 yrs college in. I’m sure coaches would agree (and would find a way to keep a star eligible), but again how many of these guys would graduate, which has been Knight’s argument (tie available scholarships to graduation rates) all along?
      Ultimately tho, I don’t see how in america you can deny an adult of 18 the right to make a living, unless his profession (such as nba) doesn’t allow it.

• zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:57 pm

It’s just such a sea-change. Coaches used to want their players to stay. The Kentucky coach recruits by flat-out telling his recruits he wants them to be one-and-done NBA players. It works, obviously. It gets him great athletes. He hasn’t won a title yet, but perhaps he will this year.

21. zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm

The new issue of USA Today’s Sports Weekly has their Fantasy baseball lists. Here’s how they rank some Giants players in relation to all of MLB, Fantasy baseball-wise:
    Catchers- Posey, 4
    1B- Belt, 27, Huff, 36
    2B- F. Sanchez, 28, Theriot, 40
    ss- Crawford, 31, Theriot, 39
    3B- Sandoval, 8
    OF- Cabrera, 53, Pagan, 59, Belt, 61, Huff, 85, Schierholtz, 116
    Starting Pitchers- Lincecum, 5, Bumgarner, 15, Cain, 17, Vogelsong, 79
    Relief Pitchers- Wilson, 9, Romo, 32

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Belt should be ranked much, much higher unless they’re factoring in his possible minor league demotion. And Panda should be ranked higher, too. I’d put Longoria ahead of him and he’s right there with Zimmerman, ahead of Beltre.

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I know some fantasy leagues use OPS. If so, why wouldn’t Panda rank higher, and easily ahead of Longoria? Panda has led all 3rd basemen in BA and OPS in two of his 3 years, and 1st and 2nd in slugging those years. Maybe HR and RBI count for more than the stats like OPS, which is a more accurate assessment of batting prowess? Serious question, I don’t do fantasy…. baseball.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Twin, if he gets discounted – it’s because of his injury and weight history. All things being equal, he should be ahead of Longoria. Not certain about Beltre though, who has been a stud the last two years.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

By the way, not my opinion – just what the FL sites say in their player evaluations of him.

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Last year he was second to Beltre in slugging, ahead of him in BA ,OBP, and OPS. Again, clearly the better hitter. But yeah,, the conditioning issue probably accounts for the downgrade.

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm

22. blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Good – KC is beginning to pull away. UNC can’t match up . . . Gets me to approx. mid 90s% now in my ESPN bracket after this (expected) win. I have Kentucky winning it all. Way too dominant.

Obama is a seer regarding his selections (has been the last 3 years) . . . The Prez is at 98.7%, which is 81,337, quite an achievement when you consider that millions enter a bracket at ESPN. He is eating all the so-called experts lunches (Vitale, Bilas, Katz, etc.). Dude knows ball.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Too funny . . . I just tied the President at 96.1%, but that blows up his entire bracket, i.e., he had UNC going all the way winning the NCAA championship. He still could get one side of the bracket with Kentucky beating Louisville next Saturday. Likely.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

RIP Bert Randolph Sugar. Cigars, fedoras and class.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Agree Dennis . . . Best boxing analyst and historian EVER.

24. twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Wasn’t he kind of old?

25. Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Longoria is going to have a better statistical year than Panda, IMO. And no, OPS isn’t counted. BA, HR’s, RBI, runs, SB.
    Here’s my Longoria projection: 93 runs, 35 hrs, 115 rbi’s, 7sb’s and .279 batting average. His xBattingaverage was 40 points higher than his actual batting average last year. . And no, I’m not going to explain the xBA, it’s one of my favorite secret underlying saberstats that no one seems to ever pick up on……

Panda: 81 runs, 27hrs, 101 rbi’s, 3 sb’s, and a .313 batting average…….

I hope he does better and wins the NL MVP and turn this prediction dead wrong…….
    But I’d put Longo slightly ahead of the Panda this year. Of course, on the one team (out of 5) that I have them both on I drafted Longo in round 2, Panda in round 4 so it’s not really a fair comparison…….

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Well, some leagues use it (OPS)…X-BA just takes out the “luck factor”, or the case of Longoria, bad luck. It’s not a difficult stat to understand. According to RotoChamp, his X-BA was .303 last year vs. his “regular” BA of .244, Panda’s was X-BA WAS.300. So, according to the X-BA stat, Evan is due for a much better BA this year. The stat is “expected batting average”. Simply put, every out is not equal- it takes into account line drive outs and “at em” balls. Evidently Evan had a lot of them…
      Some Giants who were “unlucky” last year, regular BA and X-BA for 2011… this list does not convince me these guys were just unlucky, but it’s possible…
      Keppinger .277 .325
      Font .227 .271
      Orlando Cabrera .237 .280
      Pagan .261 .301
      Tejada .239 .270
      Theriot .271 .296
      Rowand .232 .254
      Nate .277 .293

26. Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Twin, I published a page (in Room B) with the 3rd base ADP listed from my most trusted ADP site. I would post it here but I still don’t know how to post pictures in within the thread.

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Totally disagree with David Wright being number 3, but understand why he is there, i.e., his outstanding playing career history, his injury last year, and the fact that they moved in the fences at Citi Bank Park this year. Regardless, his stats have gone down the last few years and he is getting too old. For example, in our Flap league, he was so close to Beltre and Sandoval, that I moved him way, way, down, where I would not have a chance of mistakenly drafting him. Just my opinion though . . .

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm

if Wright is healthy (currently dealing with another upper core injury), he’s right there at the top of the 3rd base crop. He’s not on any of my teams because I have a major bias against guys who are prone to getting hurt.

• twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm

It has to be from a web page, not your PC. Go to “edit” after posting your comment.Above the comment are some tabs. Choose “img”. Be sure you have your cursor beneath the text of the comment. On the upper left you’ll see a box labeled “script prompt”, you can paste the URL for the image in the space provided. Then it will ask for a description for the image- call it whatever you want. Click OK. You’ll see the image url below your comment.I’m sure you know how to get the the actual URL for the image you are inserting.
      When you’re done, click “update”. Try it.

27. Alleykat said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Actually, Sugar was only 75,though he looked 95.Put’s him as a youngster compared to Ben Gazzarra who died at 82.
    But as Loo said…Guess we’ll have to move on somehow.

• zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Another Ben Gazzara film worth checking out is “Buffalo 66,” written, starring, and directed by Vincent Gallo. Gallo’s a bizarre dude, and this may be the one worthwhile film he’ll ever come up with. It’s a good one. Gazzara has a supporting role, as the Gallo character’s father. The film features maybe the most sports-obsessed couple ever in a movie- Gazzara and Anjelica Huston are in constant agony over Buffalo losing the AFL title on a missed FG, which is a really a reference to Buffalo losing to the NY Giants in the early ’90s, on the missed Norwood FG. The film also features Christina Ricci in a good role.

28. Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm

regarding David Wright, Blade said: “his stats have gone down the last few years and he is getting too old”…I’ll give you the injury issues but he’s 29 (and it’s not a Domincan 29) so I don’t think he qualifies as “too old”…

• blade3colorado said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

CBS – With Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran moving on, David Wright is the only Met who remotely fits the description of Fantasy stud, and even he’s not a slam dunk anymore. The Wright we saw last year was not the five-category stud of 2007 or even the knockoff version of 2010. He was a 28-year-old doing his best impression of a 38-year-old, hitting .226 over the first six weeks before missing the next nine with a stress fracture in his lower back. Even when he returned, all was not right with him. He hit a mediocre .272 with a mediocre .789 OPS in 243 at-bats to close out the season. Now, he has even greater injury concerns, having missed the majority of spring training with an abdominal tear — the same injury that sidelined Ryan Zimmerman for 60 games last year.

ESPN – Tough times in Metsville have taken their toll on Wright, formerly one of fantasy baseball’s brightest stars. Although Wright was once a perennial 30-30 candidate with batting title potential, his power has suffered in recent years thanks to the cavernous dimensions of the team’s new ballpark, Citi Field. His increasing propensity for strikeouts has caused his batting average to plummet, and injuries that have cost him 81 games combined the past three seasons have put him into the injury-risk category. To those ends, since Citi Field opened in 2009, Wright has homered on nearly 2 percent more of his fly balls in road games (11.4) than at home (9.5), and his strikeout rate has risen from 16.4 percent from 2006 to 2008 to 22.9 from 2009 to ’11. In his defense, winter adjustments to shrink Citi Field’s dimensions could boost his homer numbers, and he did bat a respectable .272/.349/.440 in 63 games after his return from a back injury in July. After falling out of the second round in our rankings this season, Wright may well return that sort of value with some luck in the health department and/or if he plays for another team — expect summer trade rumors to swirl — but don’t overdraft him considering the limitations of his surroundings.

Rotowire – Wright (ribs) could see Grapefruit League action as early as Tuesday, MLB.com reports.
      Wright has taken full baseball drills for three straight days. He needs to begin tracking live pitching and take a full batting practice before getting into a game. The team hopes he’ll get into action Tuesday. This is somewhat positive news, but it’s hard to have full confidence in Wright’s health being that he hasn’t seen action and the season is so close to starting.

Yahoo – 3B David Wright continues to believe he will be ready for Opening Day, despite missing the first three weeks of exhibition games because of a strained left abdominal muscle. Wright projects to bat third in New York’s lineup this season, after missing more than two months last year because of a stress fracture in his lower back.

Maybe I THOUGHT he was 38 after reading all this . . . LOL.

29. willieD said, on March 25, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Quite some imagination to winning coaches—Pitino scraps his match up zone that Florida was shredding for straight up man defense and shuts down gators at the end, and Self switches out of his man that carolina was lighting up for the triangle and two.
    My mentor guy ran that too—idea is you guard two main scorers man up but zone everyone else, leaving guys open from outside that aren’t supposed to beat you. It’s easier if your basic D is 1-2-2 or 3-2 zone, since your players aren’t out of normal positions on the floor, but still risky as a team defense. You also confuse the O and frustrate the two guys who are being manned, since the rest of the team including inside defenders are zoning up and cutting off gaps. Carolina took a lot of time to get up shots at end when they were behind.
    Gotta feel for the back up PG for UNC, who passed up the open shots they were giving him at the end, missed one 3 he did take, and tried to drive the ball inside and got blocked another time. Everyone will say they would have won with the starter in there and not him, and he’ll feel this one for a long time. No one was complaining about the kid in the first half when carolina was scoring at will and the game was tied, and he had 4 teammates on the floor with at all times, on both ends.

30. twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Aaron ( Oh Unlucky Man!) Rowand with 2 hits today- bumped that BA to .143. Wonder what the X-BA is? Actually, X-BA would be a very valuable ST stat, depending on who’s keeping track. You might not want ME, for example, tracking Panda’s outs…Weak grounder to third? ” Should have found a hole”..

31. zumie said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Y’all probably know that the Giants game will be on tape-delay on the MLB network tonight at 9:00.
    You gotta dig the way the MLB network has been cranking out the Spring Training games.

32. DJLoo said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

The beginning of the end for Wright was an awesome performance in the home run contest at the ASG a few years ago. Definitely screwed him up…

• Flavor said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm

plus a shot to the face while you were scoring some sweet under carriage glory, right Loo?

• DJLoo said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm

That was the middle of the end..

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Zito is slated to pitch in Colorado for the Rockies home opener on 4/9. I’m watching the Rox and Reds replay now. Todd Helton has two HRs (one oppo) today. I just might have to p/u the old dude for that Zito start to get some cheap fantasy pts. I have no shame. Fuck Zito.

34. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 25, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Bochy sending up Hector Sanchez to PH late in the game was telling. Bochy said he wanted to get ’em some exp. coming off the bench. That’s a big hint that Hector will make the OD roster. I just hope it’s not at the expense of carrying 3 C’s. If it is, they might as well carry 13 P’s as well. That way I can have two conniption fits for the price of one.

35. jlbush62 said, on March 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm

For Chrissakes, Ramon Ortiz threw 2 2/3 scoreless innings with 3 K’s after Zito’s beatdown today. It’s AAABZ time: any, Any, ANYbody But Zito.

36. paulinasia said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Bochy said this about Zito’s Sunday outing: “… all we expect this year is for him to give us a chance to win….” And there is no doubt that if he doesn’t do that, he won’t be in the rotation for long. No need to sweat it about Zito. If Voggie gets healthy, and Surkamp is ready, no problem. Hopefully.

• DJLoo said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I guess at some point in year 6, Zito’s contract could become edible.
      Does anybody remember his great 5-0 start in 2010?
      How the hell did he manage that? Was up to 7-2 then 8-4 till he went down the toilet.

37. James said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

In honor of the pending season, time to revisit one of the truly great baseball movies tonight: the original “Bad Lieutenant.”

38. twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm

“How ya feeling, Barry?”
    “Good, Skip, real good.”
    “The foot feels OK? Those injuries can recur, you know… especially if Panda steps on it in the shower.”

39. twinfan1 said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It seems that Arias is now “in the mix”, according to Pavlovic. Makes some sense as he’s the only real good fielding middle infielder except Crawford. They say he’s hit better than his average shows, and he is a .276 career hitter- 0 HR. It’s been an interesting camp, IMO…

40. DJLoo said, on March 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I must be the only kid who hated camp. My parents sent me to day camp for a month and I despised it.
    Keep your swimming pool and your stupid organized events. I’d take a gutter, an alley, or a vacant lot any day of the week….
    Still would.

• James said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:02 pm

When his lazy ass parents didn’t get their act together one summer, my son wound up at something called “Super Camp.” He still hates us for it. Time to watch the Dodgers break Harvey Keitel’s heart.

41. sandog said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:16 pm

wasn’t it Kal Daniels specifically?

42. sandog said, on March 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

disturbing movie to be sure. But firing a shot into the car radio always makes me laugh out loud.

• James said, on March 25, 2012 at 11:05 pm

It was Kal, good memory! The scene where he wakes up to Strawberry’s 3 run homer only to find that the Dodgers are on the short end of the 11-3 score is actually funnier, I think. That’s real life. Other parts of the movie seem more embarrassing than disturbing to me.

43. snarkk said, on March 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Calling Dr. Oswalt, Dr. Oswalt — code Zito, code Zito, calling Dr. Oswalt….