A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Could The White Shark Be The One to Send Nate Back to the Bench?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 29, 2012

With the team sending out signals that Belt could start the season in Fresno, I’m wondering if there’s a chance that Blanco could actually crack into the starting line up on opening day. Two of our supposed starting outfielders (Nate and Pagan) are having abysmal springs. I would be shocked if the Giants took Pagan’s spring at face value and sent him to the bench before the real season even starts. Just from a PR standpoint it would be surprising to see them waive the white flag on that trade so early. So whether he bats leadoff or not, it’s probably safe to assume that Pagan is starting opening day……..

Nate shouldn’t feel as comfortable with the same expectation. I think it’s clear from Bochy’s comments this spring that he loves Gregor Blanco. And on at least one occasion he’s spoken publicly with words that would suggest Nate isn’t a lock for the starting right field spot.

Could Blanco’s spring training performance actually propel him into a starting opening day gig? I think the Giants know what Nate’s value is off the bench. Maybe they think Blanco could offer the same thing, I don’t know. But it’s clear that Bochy is not happy with his hitters as a group right now. Maybe he sends a message to the team that hard work and results count for something. Just like with Burriss, if Blanco turns into a pumpkin once the real games start then you can move him out of there no problem.

Personally, I have very low expectations for The White Shark. He’s still nothing more than an amusing spring side note to me. But he HAS produced and at the very least he’s got a significantly better nickname that, um, *Nate*. And we all know how much the Giants like to sell stuff……..

So what would YOUR starting outfield look like?

1. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 6:33 am

Who is the “White Shark?”

• gianthead said, on March 29, 2012 at 6:53 am

Blanco…

• Bozo said, on March 29, 2012 at 6:53 am

My man Gregor Blanco. Blanco = White and the team he played on in Venezuela, Tiburones, means Sharks.

Baggs wrote an article on it last night.

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 7:13 am

Duh! I’ve been sick with the flu all week and my brain housing unit is working quite slow.

2. gianthead said, on March 29, 2012 at 6:52 am

I did not get a chance to write in, but was home sick Tuesday and finally got to see Blanco. Very impressed. Great at-bats each timer he was up. Pagan looked very mediocre, especially watching strike 3 in the bottom of the 9th with two outs. What the f?

I totally see him not just making the team, but now starting opening day. Pagan is on short notice. Blanco seems to be the superior fielder as well. So he would start kin center then right?

I think this development probably forces huff not getting left field starts to begin the season, so Belt is the odd man out.

5 bench spots: catcher, Nate, Pill (especially with taking ground balls at third), Theriot and Fontenot with Burriss starting at second. Once Glasschez gets back, Theriot or Fontenot is out…

3. willieD said, on March 29, 2012 at 7:52 am

I think Twin is right and huff is in LF and belt at 1b. Imo, what you have to figure is who hits better than whom. If huff can’t give you more at the plate than Nate (.750 OPS), then he would sit because Nate is a better defender and takes over RF. Same with blanco re: Pagan…P probably gets a month or so to snap out of things in reg season, show he can get on base from both sides and play CF. Maybe he struggles from one side and blanco sneaks in there and gets a chance to show what he can do. I don’t see how Pill fits into this much.
    Melk I would think has the longest leash, from both sides of plate. Belt imo gives you more at the plate than any of them, and I”d play the guy most of the time, with Posey getting a day at 1b vs. lefty.
    The whole posey to 1b thing tho…unless he picks up his offense, his numbers at that position are very ordinary. Would the guy replacing him at C give you more than he would? Because if not, I don’t see what you gain, unless all the SF 1b suck. All this noise about using the young catchers so he can move to 1b (or trading them for something of value) only comes to fruition if they can actually hit at high level in minors (not ST), or if Hector can really hit in mlb, yet to be seen.
    Same goes for all the young guys, esp middle IF. Panik is in A ball here in Jose. I’ll believe in the prospects when I see them, same as I think about crawford. too many highly rated can’t miss guys do exactly that, everywhere. I can’t believe the Taylor kid of the A’s couldn’t crack that 25 man team last year, and now he’s back to Sac again since they dealt for reddick, kept coco and signed cespedes.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:10 am

I agree that they wouldn’t bail on Pagan before the regular season- unless he’s aleady causing trouble. And unless it’s something for all the world to see, we wouldn’t know. It’s only after a guy leaves that we hear about all the litlle shit that creates dissension. Although Bochy can’t be happy about the pick off the other day- he was picked because he was asleep in another world. Anyway- the OF *should* be ( to start)Huff, Pagan, Melky, L to R…and they should trade Nate,. he has some value- starting for a bad team, or 4 or 5 OFer for a good one.
      I think a few dozen “Fire Sabean” websites should pop up if Belt goes down.
      And as I said yesterday, they should just forget Buster at first until/unless Pill an’t handle it here. Buster can use the full days off.
      Sidenote: if Gary Brown is the real deal, we’ll know by about June. If he’s handling AA, get his ass up and into CF…

• Alleykat said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:55 am

That was cause he had’nt been on a base so long he didn’t know what to do.

4. zumie said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:32 am

I tried to watch the 2:00 AM A’s/Mariners game, but….ultimately, the fact that it was A’s/Mariners made it hard to stay awake.

5. St said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

Ok, I love Belt’s potential, but man, what has he done at the ML level? He hit .225 last yr. Are we basing it on the hype? A few good ab’s?

No. It’s “Dude is raking in ST!”.

Oh, ok. He’s a lock.

How about Crawford then, he’s hitting .333 w/ a .420 obp this spring. Should be excited about him.

Nah. ST stats are bullshit.

Pagan?

Sucks. Look at those ST numbers.

Nate?

Sucks. Lousy ST.

Pablo is hitting .225.

C’mon dude, ST numbers don’t mean shit with him.

How about Huff?

Dude sucks, but it’s ST. Give him a month.

Burriss is having an awesome spring.

Yeah, but dude has never hit. I ain’t buying those numbers.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

Belt: has hit at every level of the minors..
      Crawford: has ever hit above “A” ball..
      Who do you think is a better bet to hit here?
      Belt minor leagues:
      .343 .457 1.052 189 games ( AVE,OBP,OPS)
      Crawdaddy:
      .266 .331 .734 265 games
      Pagan- Needs to step up, Bochy already thinking about Blanco there
      Nate: career mediocrity offensive, nothing to do with ST
      Pablo: no his ST numbers aren’t important. You got one right.
      Huff: His ST numbers are neither good or bad, but only bloggers throw away 11 million before the regular season even starts.
      Burriss- a guy on the bubble DOES need to have a good spring. NO ONE is buying his ST numbers- but he did other things they like, to win the job .At least he still has SOME upside. Unlike the Ragin’ Cajuns. He won’t have the job long if he doesn’t produce, but with no options left, and considering the alternatives, it’s a no brainer to give him a last shot

• St said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

Good points. All true. And I guess Blanco has done enough in the past to feel he will perform at this level.

The point was simply we don’t know what weight to give ST numbers. As you have pointed out, Huff had a monster spring last yr.

• St said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

*Except I can’t speak to the comments about Pagan.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

My comment about Pagan was stupid. I changed it.

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:26 am

You guys were ragging on Petit for being a little fat fuck yesterday. Well, a bigger fat fuck got the win today in Tokyo. Bartolo Colon pitched 8 strong in the W over the M’s. Maybe there’s something to it having a little extra around the middle.

There’s having a little extra around the middle and then there’s America — 36% of U.S. adults are obese.
    Who else is having cheeseburgers for breakfast?

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:55 am

No one was ragging on him- his heft was acklnowledged.

• irishman5574 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:19 am

Breakfast of Champions, but only if it comes with a beer and fries!!

7. unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:47 am

I didn’t think they’d open with Huff in LF, but I also didn’t think Belt would be on the brink of being sent down either. Pagan sure looked stupid the other night. I haven’t seen too much of anyone in ST (and does it matter anyway?), but I guess we get to look forward to another season of the lineup shuffle at 1st, 2nd, SS, and the whole OF.

Belt has to be pissed that Huff is again getting nothing done yet has more rope to burn than he does. Maybe when the season starts, he’ll get going, but Belt can’t hit his way into the lineup, then what else can he do? That being said, I’m sure they are telling Belt that Huff is on a short leash, and he’ll get benched if he gags early.

• Flavor said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

Belt isn’t pissed, or shouldn’t be. He knows the deal. The guy making 11 million is almost always going to get a shot before the guy making $500,000. Additionally, he almost always gets *more rope*. Belt’s gonna be a free agent some day, if he ever does anything at the mlb level he’ll get the same considerations that Huff gets now…….

• Bozo said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:17 am

Belt also has options and that comes into play as well.

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

Yadda, yadda, yadda . . . Actually Chuck, this Flap post is in regard to a trade I sent you. Chop, Chop, Tally Ho, and all that garbage – Check your ESPN in-basket, spam folder, or wherever they send these trade proposals and let me know.

• unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh shit. Like I said, I guess I should look at my team.

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:58 am

lol . . . when ya get a chance. No hurry 😉

8. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:55 am

“So, let me get this again . . . Even though I am raking, I am not looking good doing it?”

Belt to his manager and hitting coach . . . Too funny!

🙂

9. irishman5574 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:23 am

Two weeks to go. I will wait to watch/listen to the bay bridge series. I can’t believe that Comcast sports net bay area is not telivising the last one. MLB has the first two.

10. irishman5574 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:29 am

All this talk about who plays where and when, if I recall correctly Bochy did his chess game moving pieces here and there all during the 2010 season and look what it got the Giants. Not only that but just about everyone here was giving him cudos!! Now here we are in 2012 and everyone is questioning what he is going to do or not do. Granted this is what blogging is all about, but some of you seem to have your panties in a wad already and the season has not even started.

Go Giants

• Nipper said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

Yeah too many worried flappers!

11. twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:30 am

Huff’s spring is neiher good or bad. Nate is a career mediocrity at the plate, it’s a total motherfucking no brainer that he’s the one who should sit or go. And not for Blanco, this team needs run producers. Blanco will be great as a Ford who can hit a lick.

12. twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:32 am

Game tonight is free on MLB.COM

13. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

The Fish just released Rowand. We need a RH bat off the bench. And since we’re paying him after all…

• Nipper said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

Cool down Dennis and grab a cold one.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

From that article, “On the other hand, if there is one man in this world who believes he can fix the swing of one of his former players, it would be Charlie Manuel.”

Who knew?

• unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:53 am

For who? For what?

14. twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yeah, Belt down, Rowand signed – Sabean will need to go into the Witness Protection Program..
    wpp

• unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:54 am

Now that’s funny 😀

• Alleykat said, on March 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Sabes would still have to play 2nd fiddle to Kyle Williams though Twin.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

Belt is a double platinum certified operation dick around network engineer.

16. blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 12:23 pm

A big favorite of mine, Omar Vizquel, made the Blue Jays roster today. He had an outstanding spring training. Turns 45 in a month. Wow!

17. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

LIVE NOW: Baer answering questions at Media Day.

18. eddacker said, on March 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I like huff, white shark and melky in the of w/ Belt @ first which means the Gmen need 4 or 5 double headers to start the season the big head can move everyone around a lot so no egos get bruised.

I’m just saying

19. snarkk said, on March 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Bam Bam gave Baggs essentially a hit piece yesterday on Belt. Hole in his swing, etc. Baggarly dutifully published the put downs, and I’m not sure now that he’s with CSNBA that he’s immune to being a Giants PR outlet. Preparing the fans for a send down to Fresburg? Again, I think it sucks the the SF coaching staff is consistently busting on Belt in public — he’s raking in ST so far more than just about anybody else on the Giants, and with pop. I don’t see that the coaches have gone out of their way that much with any other player to discuss their individual “problems” with the media…

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm

You were saying the same thing about Pill last September, weren’t you? It’s just silliness on your part, IMO. I want Belt here and starting as much as anyone and I’ll be pissed if he goes down, but this idea that he’s being disrespected is nonsense.

20. twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Baer on Belt:

21. unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Wow, this must be a first . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Maybe Richard Branson is a Giants fan. Better still, maybe he’s gonna toss all his billions off the plane. If not, there’s always tomorrow’s Mega Millions. Now up to $540 million. Good luck.

• Bozo said, on March 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Why get a clean up hitter when you can have a plane with a beard?

22. Flavor said, on March 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm

just listened to Pawlie’s interview with CBS radio. Excellent stuff. I would upload it here but wordpress won’t let me do that unless I purchase another upgrade package. I might do it ,there are some other audio’s I want to upload……

• willieD said, on March 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm

wow way cool, good for him.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Another hit for Bozo’s boy, the White Shark. Let’s hope to hell he keeps chomping into the reg. season.
    I traded for Pablo today in one of my other leagues. I had to get one Giant on one of my four teams. It’s just me and Taco Boy. I’m ready to wheel and deal in the Flap league. Let’s throw some shit at the wall and see what sticks.

24. unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 7:58 pm

The deal’s off Blade?

• blade3colorado said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, I was uncertain how long you were going to take to evaluate the trade, coupled with Bourjos, whom I like a lot, being available as a FA (and not knowing how long he would be out there before someone snatched him). You can still put in a waiver claim for Hill and have the choice of who you want to release (albeit, I think there are a couple of people ahead of you in the waiver priority line). Sorry.

Give me a shout if you want to dicker for someone else . . . my team is basically set and I have identified untouchables under the trading block tab, but I am always willing to listen.

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Belt’s now hitting .407 Send him to Fresno and sign back Rowand!

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:07 pm

That’s been posted, and better.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Sorry, I’m not watching Ann-Margret tonight.

• eddacker said, on March 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm

row hand is going to philly and they [u]need[/u] him
      hahahaha
      Go Giants

26. DJLoo said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Anybody picking apart the schedule yet? How about 9 with AZ by May 30th – then none with them till the remaining 9 in September.Done with Milwaukee for the year on May 23rd. Done with Miami for the year on May 27th. They play Colorado 13 times in August & September.

• snarkk said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I could do with fewer divisional games. I’d like to see more games with non-divisional teams like the Cubs, Phils, Cards.. How many times can you get excited about the Pads?…

• DJLoo said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I agree, Snarkk. That makes even more sense with the added WC team, right? And one lousy trip to NY is an annual disgrace.

27. snarkk said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Yep, Belt is 3 for 4 so far tonite.
    Gotta work on that hole in his swing, meanwhile gotta get Huffy in there…

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm

For a cynnical “realist”, you sure use up a lot of space tilting at windmills. Huff, rightfully, will be in the LU somehere..
      unless Loo has him traded..Belt can and probably will make the team whether Huff is here or not.

28. DJLoo said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Any chance a minor deal is in the works?

29. snarkk said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Either Theriot or Font will be gone by end of tomorrow. Has to happen…

• DJLoo said, on March 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm

They might be the same person.

30. DJLoo said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

The common sense answer is to go with 11 pitchers through April at least…

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

They’re carrying 12 according to Schulman. On that I trust Bochy- he wants 12, he can have them.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Baggs is already posting that SF will go with 12 pitchers. Belt is headed to Fresno and maybe it’s best for him.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Baggs doesn’t say Belt is going to Fresno, he says it’s “likely”. At least I don’t see it stated as fact..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm

True. It is just my opinion. I wasn’t quoting him. I would rather see him go north I just don’t think it is going to happen. I don’t think Pill over Belt is good either. Maybe they both go to Fresno. Between Huff and Posey occasionally 1b is locked down.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Huff doesn’t have 1B locked, at least accordingf to Baer today.“There are all sorts of calculations. He could be in the outfield starting, first base starting, could be in the dugout (on the bench). I think it’s a thousand different scenarios being pushed around, with no answer yet.”

I guess they might send him down- but do they have the guts to do it if he’s over .400?

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Henry and Baggs are also reporting that Bochy hinted that hector would be the ONLY b/u catcher.
    Thank Christ.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Where? They both say it’s Whitey or Stewart on the Splash and in Bagg’s piece on 12 pitchers.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Henry, tonight: “The Giants will carry either Eli Whiteside or Chris Stewart as a backup catcher.”

Baggs, tonight: “Either Eli Whiteside or Chris Stewart will be the primary backup to catcher Buster Posey.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Schulman updated his post.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Henry: Bochy hinted there is a chance Hector Sanchez might be the only backup to Posey. This is a huge shift in thinking.

Baggs: Bochy not ruling out carrying Hector Sanchez, either as a third catcher or — get this — as Posey’s only backup.

• twinfan1 said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I’m fine with Hector, obviously.

33. DJLoo said, on March 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

So what’s the bottom line here? Pill? Blanco? It’s starting to get on my nerves.

34. unca_chuck said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Pill goes down, Belt stays, Huffie in left. Nate to the bench. Blanco stays.

If it was up to me.

35. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I don’t put much stock in the words that pass Baer’s lips. Will they have the guts with Belt at a .400 clip? That’s a good question. SF Giants site is showing Huff in the OF 8 games this spring and 9 at 1b. Belt is 16 in the OF and 11 at 1b so the looks are pretty evenly split. Whether Huff is historically good in LF or not I think if Belt stays he’ll be in LF.