A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Another Zito *Quick Fix* Bust and Ray Lewis is Hard Not to Follow into the Darkness

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 30, 2012

I read a *funny* article to today in The Merc–“San Francisco Giants Want Barry Zito to Pay Close Attention to Moyer”. Ha, everyone has an idea about how to fix Zito. This is the group who come with this basic message: “Pitch like Tom Glavine or Jaime Moyer”. Easier said than done. Pav’s article was all about Righetti encouraging Zito to watch Moyer and see how he changes speeds while not changing the look of his delivery. Again, easier said than done or there would be 49 year old geezers littered across the mlb landscape. But there aren’t, there’s exactly one of those dudes probably anywhere in the world……

Zito can start changing up speeds with the best of them. His problem is and always will be *location*. He knows it too. You can see it in how he pitches. He pitches scared. He’s afraid of contact. And developing pinpoint location isn’t something you can learn by watching a video of Glavine or Moyer. You either have that gift, or you don’t……..

And he doesn’t………

_________________________________________________

Man, I’ve had my opinions about Ray Lewis over the years but after watching his pre-game speech to the Stanford men before their game against Minnesota I have to say, he is a remarkable speaker. It’s no wonder to me at all that players revere him the way they do. When he’s done playing football he’s likely going to become an extremely well paid motivational speaker…….

And if you missed it, he’s pretty good at post-game speeches, too….

1. willieD said, on March 30, 2012 at 7:10 am

and the stanford cards win the NIT…great news for those doofs who wanted to fire dawkins a month ago. Took him a while but he got his team to play good ball down the stretch, beating Cal and then winning out in the tourney. I always tell parents (at least when team is going well) that it’s your kids who are making the plays, regardless of what is drawn up on the little board.
    somebody else I like for motivational stuff, even tho he is otherwise an annoying old fart, is Lou Holtz. Play hard, have fun, stick together, take pride in what you do, every moment, and don’t let stuff bother you.

• Nipper said, on March 30, 2012 at 7:19 am

Willie D is first!

• eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Nip a close second

2. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:19 am

Lewis should be practicing his skills motvating is fellow inmates to eat their gruel.. yes, I do know the details of his deal. Did Stanford invite him? They should be ashamed..
    I think that winning the NIT should be the new comp for kissing your sister, BTW..

3. unca_chuck said, on March 30, 2012 at 10:03 am

Talk about motivation. Beating a murder rap can do that to you . . .

• Nipper said, on March 30, 2012 at 10:16 am

Gots to think positive!

4. Nipper said, on March 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

Memo to earth: Zito is unfixable.

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 10:58 am

They just released Fontenot. I guess trying to trade him for Matt Kemp didn’t go through.

• twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Hey, that’s one of the more reasonable blog potato trades..

6. unca_chuck said, on March 30, 2012 at 11:18 am

That’s the deal Blade was trying to swing . . .

heh heh . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

I’ll send one your way a little later. I see you have too many Dodgers on your team.
      Their lot in life is to curse my fantasy team, not yours.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Didnt like my offer DMD?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Which one was it? Y. Molina for Howie Kendrick? No dice. If I’m getting a Molina coming my way. There best be some Big Titties coming as well…

7. St said, on March 30, 2012 at 11:47 am

I’m guessing Pill will be sent down. They can keep Hector as the better RH bat off the bench and the backup. Belt and Arias and Theriot (until Freddie returns) complete the 25. One of Stewart and Whiteside in Fresno?

• twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

It does appear that they may be clearing room for the kids. If they do keep Belt and Hector, it’s gonna take a Bitch Professional to do much griping. Well, Vern and Vera might not be pleased. It’s gonna take the team’s smoothest talker to get her to keep making the Ambrosia Salad for the team get togethers. Maybe if they give Whitey a job with the organization, roving passed ball Instuctor, perhaps…

8. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 11:49 am

From Baggs: Surkamp, Runzler and Freddy Sanchez placed on DL retro to 3/26. Vogelsong placed on DL retro to 3/27.

• St said, on March 30, 2012 at 11:54 am

No surprises there. Who gets the 12th spot?>

• Alleykat said, on March 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I would say Edlfesen,and Hensley for the last 2 spots.

• twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Hensley is probably a lock. I guess the other is Otero, but Machi is intriguing.

9. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Question: most likely MLB pitcher to pitch until he’s eligible for Medicare: Livan Hernandez. Astros released him and he’s snapped up by the Braves..

• Alleykat said, on March 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Jamie Moyer will trump Livan Twin.I’ll say he goes to 52.

• unca_chuck said, on March 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Didn’t Don McMahon last until he was 52?

• unca_chuck said, on March 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Oh, well. There goes another youthful misremembered fact. I thought McMahon pitched for the Giants til he was at least 48 years old. . . .

10. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I think it will be a tough pill to swallow for Brett.
    Hector, Blanco, Theriot, Arias or Gillaspie, Belt.

11. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Tonight’s LU, this SHOULD be the Opening Day LU, with Burriss for Theriot…
    Pagan CF
    Cabrera RF
    Sandoval 3B
    Posey C
    Huff LF
    Belt 1B
    Theriot 2B
    Crawford SS
    Zito SP

• Bozo said, on March 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm

And anybody for Zito?

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

That’s a good looking LU. Sanchez would round it out well in the 7 spot. I hope he can get healthy.

13. St said, on March 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

That looks like the one. With Nate, Blanco Hector Theriot Arias as reserves, they would have some power from both sides, speed and some solid defense off the bench. Makes sense to me but ..wtf do I know.

14. blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I have just contributed my $16.94 ($12.95, plus Shipping & Handling: $3.99) to Pawlie’s ascent of the New York Times best seller list. When the $&#%@+! are you coming to Denver to autograph it?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Thanks, Blade. When does the avg temp rise above 48? I know, I know, I promised to come out there last year and in 2010. A few complicating family factors, but let me review the sched. Thanks again. You’re in the book!

• blade3colorado said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Umm . . . Like two weeks. It’s been in the 70s since I got back from S. America. Ha.

15. twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I just ordered Paul’s book, I was surprised to see it available for Kindle already. I’m psyched, it’s waiting for me to read.( just 4.95 BTW)..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thanks, Michael. Get this, guys: the only copy I have so far is a PDF sent preproduction. Poor me. May get some in the mail tomorrow. Was on ESPN1040am today. They say there’s a link at espnflorida.com.

16. Flavor said, on March 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I have ordered Pawlie’s book as well (print version). I have a NOOK and wanted to buy it through B&N but Pawlie hasn’t synced in with them yet. He thinks they will soon but whatever, I can go *old school* and sit down with an actual book again.
    Plus it’s easier to get an autograph on a book than it is to get Pawlie to come autograph by NOOK screen. Plus, I think that would fuck up the NOOK. šŸ™‚

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Working on that. And thanks, Magnus. Come to think of it, if I’m consistent and honest (I have one of those attributes), I’d have to sign it to “Magnus.” BEST SCENARIO OF ALL: meet you by the Juan Marichal statue for the 2012 World Series vs. the Rays. Rays Fan Gio, a prominent real-life character in the book, is predicting that matchup.

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm

if Iā€™m consistent and honest (I have one of those attributes)
        ——————————————————————————-
        Ahh. But which one? šŸ˜‰

17. Flavor said, on March 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Caught the first inning. I hope Zito gets REALLY fucking good at picking guys off first base….

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm

And second..and third..

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I just got in: reading Zito’s line: 3 IP 7 H 5 ER 3 W and a spring ERA of now 7.91
    Zito didn’t give up a HR, but he made up for that by allowing 4 doubles and a triple.

But I heard he looked good in his crouch.

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

He looks better in his couch

19. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Taco Boy goes oppo for a 3-run jack. Tie game. Carne asada for everyone.

Now Zito is off the hook for the L. That ain’t right. Fuck him.

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm

SF just put up a 7 vs SD. We must have signed Peyton Manning after all…

• twinfan1 said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Yeah, he started to pitch the 6th..

21. Bozo said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Giants take the lead and that’s all she wrote for me Flapperstars. Bring home a winner.

22. zumie said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

And now all of Zito’s starts have turned into Pickett’s Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg. Tragic futility doomed to failure.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Baggs had a nice Zito zinger…Try using Zito’s line score in the next lottery. Zito and “mega millions” do go well together.

24. zumie said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm

After a Zito start….

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Martin Sheen as Bruce Bochy. Excellent

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Just saw “The Hunger Games” tonight with my wife and daughter. They loved the book. And movie. If Zito was one of the 24 combatants he’d be knocked off as soon as he got into the tube.

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Or on the *way* in…

• eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

consistent
        ly
        good

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm

g’night, girls
    what is this? late-night practice for the season?

27. paulinasia said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I’m kinda thinkin’ Barry’s foot (doesn’t matter which one) is about to start hurting….

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Barry’s Foot. That alone kind of describes his entire tenure in SF

28. paulinasia said, on March 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh, and Pawlie, haven’t seen you here in awhile (schedules not synched!), just want to say wow and congrats! Next visit back to the US, I will be sure to find your book. You make all us Pawls very proud.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm

danke, Fareastnamesake. What the hey, Amazon is global. That’s all right. Let’s ALL meet in SF for World Series Basking Redux!!!

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

What. No Amazon access in Vietnam?

• paulinasia said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Actually, sometimes shipping products bought online does run into snags coming in to VN, sometimes not. … ….

• TedSpe said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Yes. I can imagine. I’ve had some issues of the sort, on occasion, in the Philippines

29. paulinasia said, on March 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Voggie and Surkamp on the DL to start the season…. Hensley taken out of the game with an injury… You don’t think Zito is taking a page out of the Saints bounty program, do you?

30. Alleykat said, on March 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Actually my Thai Stick order from Vietnam has been delayed as well P/A.

• blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2012 at 6:43 am

Good one Kat. Me too . . . I wish my “mule” would’ve taken the Nepal overland route vs. going through Vietnam with the kilo of opium I scored. Vietnam just isn’t as understanding about these issues as the Nepalese are. šŸ™‚

31. snarkk said, on March 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

OK, I just read the game recap, I didn’t hear or see it.. Here’s what Zito said:

“I’m just fighting myself with my timing out there,” Zito said. “It’s not scrap the whole thing. It’s make a small adjustment, get a little more pace, instead of getting ahead of myself. It’s about starting (Saturday), get with Rags, figure out what the adjustment is and go all in with it. It shouldn’t take long to get that to feel natural.”

Most sincerely, I say Fuck Zito….

32. Nipper said, on March 31, 2012 at 6:32 am

Zito is finished. Giants must prepare for this. He’s gone!

• eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

one more day and it is the first day of Zitos life
      not necessarily pitching

33. eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I am so scared, not about the Gmen, they are my team and I love being with them this season. It is my English GF, she thinks I should pay more attention to her.
    hahahahahaha

34. eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Oh, and about the Paulie book, I am his greatest fan, fuck you Bozo

35. eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm

WOW, we are now getting the PBS baseball series [form years ago] gotta love it