A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

My Opening Day Line Up

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 2, 2012

As we know, the opening day line ups in 2010 and 2011 didn’t resemble the end of the season line ups in 2010 and 2011. It’s just one game, and as Baggs said on his blog: “If you predicted on opening day 2010 that the Giants would win the world series you get to take no credit. That team didn’t win it, another one did. ”

I know this line up has a small percentage chance of happening but this is the line up I would start this Friday against the D-backs:

Batting 1st: Blanco (Center Field): I know, insane and contradictory to the low expectations I’ve held for him all spring. But I’m coming around slowly, and I recognize that is driven by *hope* more than anything else. But, he’s been quoted as saying that his game didn’t start clicking until he started to do what everyone was telling him to do and that is be more aggressive. And it wasn’t just this Spring that he started doing it, he was the MVP of the Venezuelan League this Winter. And I’m tossing last year’s .202 minor league batting average out the window because, well, I have to if I’m starting this cat on Opening Day in the big leagues. Who knows what that was all about. Maybe a hidden injury, maybe a personal issue, maybe it was just an outlier year. Whatever. I’m going to trust my eyes on this one. He starts for me and leads off this Friday…….

Batting 2nd: Melky (right field): He’s a switch hitter who can go to all fields. He’s a fine #2 hitter (and a significant upgrade from Glass who spends way too much time trying to send the ball to right field in all his at bats)…..

Batting 3rd: Buster Posey (catcher): I just think your best hitter should bat 4th…..

Batting 4th: and that’s Pablo (3rd base)

Batting 5th: Brandon Belt (1st base). It’ll probably be Huff starting at 1st base on Friday but this is my line up and there are no salary considerations in The Nation That Flavor Built…….

Batting 6th: Pagan (left field). I don’t think 6th is his ideal spot but of my 3 remaining players he’s the best option for 6th. Plus if Belt is on base in front of him he will stand a lesser chance of the bases getting clogged up when he blasts one into triples ally. Belt has more speed than people realize. I’m also still considering batting Pagan 2nd and Melky 6th because I just think Melky would be a much better 6 hitter than Pagan. Of course, I think he’s a much better 2 hitter than Pagan, too. Tough call……

Batting 7th: Theriot (2nd base). I just can’t put Burriss AND Blanco in the same line up. Plus, I trust Theriot’s at bats more than I do Burriss’.

Batting 8th: Crawford (SS) because he’s got to bat somewhere. Word is he has finally stopped trying to pull everything and it’s shown up in his spring training stats this year. If that’s true I’ll be excited since that’s exactly what I’ve said he needs to start doing. We’ll see if he can do it when the games start to count……

Batting 9th: Timmy

That LU goes L-S-R-S-L-S-R-L and I think that’s absolute *perfection*………

Feel free to post *your* opening day LU………

1. gianthead said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

Yahoo’s fantasy leagues still do not have Blanco available….

2. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:23 am

well it’s a good thing you’re in an espn league…..

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:09 am

Good luck on that trade Flav . . . Hopefully, both Choo and Crawford have resolved their demons and can have good years.

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:18 am

I don’t really like Choo, never have. He’s a 20/20 guy if he doesn’t get hurt but Crawford, as you said, has more of an upside. We’ll see, good luck!

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:23 am

I feel the same way about Crawford (grin). Again, the Chuckster snoozed (2nd time for him), so the trade I had proposed to him for Victorino is a moot point now and I have canceled it.

• unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Heh heh. That’s why this gets hard for me. I have kids coming and going, moving from Lafayette to Walnut (gulp) Creek (she’ll be moving back to Orina next month), fricking cars breaking down all over the state (had to replace the power steering pressure hose for my SF daughter’s car. 2 weeks earlier I replaced the starter in her car, AND my WC daughter’s car). In a little over a year, I’ll be getting my 5th car for my son . . . Yippeee. I should buy stock in Napa Auto parts.

So I forget to look at my FB team.

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Well, the Victorino for Crawford deal was a stretch, i.e., it probably favored me if you go by what ESPN is rating each of them. Nevertheless, I am curious – would you have gone for it or are you in love (or like. LOL) with Victorino?

By the by, sorry about all the car problems in your family. I always buy new or in very mint condition (2000 BMW Z3), because I’ve decided that my time is much more important as I get older.

• unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm

My cars aren’t the problem. It’s my kids cars. If I could buy them new cars, I’d be thrilled. As it is, they graduate, and take on that fun of establishing their credit and getting nicer cars.

I have Victorino?

• unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

The latest edition being a 2008 528 I.

Way too much fun.

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Nice car Chuck . . . 3.0L DOHC 24-valve I6 engine was the fastest BMW 5 series up to that year. The Z3 I have is an M series (beats most production sports cars of that era easily . . . 5.2 sec 0-60).

• gianthead said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Did I take him??? Too many leagues…

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm

No, Chuck took him.

3. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:08 am

Pagan CF
    Cabrera RF
    Sandoval 3B
    Posey C
    Huff LF
    Belt 1B
    Burriss 2B
    Crawford SS

I’ll go with the one I posted yesterday. I like Blanco like the Clown and Flavor Nation does, so Huff and Pagan, both have short leashes . . . A month maximum to show they belong in the line up. Regarding Burris, he is home grown man, so he starts over Theriot just because he has read (and hopefully now understands) the Giants manual from cover to cover. 🙂

• Nipper said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’ll take blade’s lineup except try Huff at first to start the season and let the younger Belt deal with LF.

• willieD said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:09 am

looks good, and I agree with short leash on P, tho I think melk gets more run off last year and versatility. I like Pablo third and the other guys behind him. so glad ST is done!

4. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:24 am

Does anyone know how old Burris is (without me having to google it)?

5. Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

Burriss is 27 Blade.So he is right is in prime.If he stays healthy,can just stay back in the box.and.just hit line drives,he could be very good for us.We shall see.

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

I wouldn’t even have Burriss on the Grizzlies Opening Day lineup.

• twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:33 am

Don’t you have some horses still running?

7. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:45 am

This is my line up

Pagan CF
    Cabrera RF
    Posey C
    Sandoval 3B
    Huff LF
    Belt 1B
    Burriss 2B
    Crawford SS

I think you bat Posey 3rd, takes the pressure off of him to bat fourth and doing the catching

• Nipper said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

I bet Posey will play at first frequently during the season if his hitting takes off.

• irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:07 am

Nipper here makes an interesting arguement. from what everything Posey has ever said, he loves to catch. He says it was the position he was meant to play. After his injury I have not heard him say any differently. I have not seen anything where someone has asked him or the Giants if Posey is still going to be the catcher for the rest of his carreer. And does he get to make that choice or is management whispering in his ear??

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

He is not worth nearly as much if he is playing another position full time. Why? Catcher is a very difficult position to fill (very few tier one catchers). Conversely, 1st basemen are a dime a dozen and there are many great ones, as well as good ones. Posey would only fall into the “good” category as a 1st baseman.

8. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:02 am

Here was the 2010 line up.

Rowand CF

Huff LF
    Melky RF
    Belt 1B
    Crawford SS
    Timmy P

10. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:32 am

Blade’s is the best they can put out there, probably because it’s the same as mine. 😉
    X-BA, BTW, was invented by the Baseball Professor. Here is an explanation of it here, BY THE CREATOR OF THE STAT. http://tinyurl.com/6rn8m9b
    Because it’s Fantsy stat, and there are subjective factors, different sites will have different numbers. RRotoChamp (whose projections are used by FanGraphs), Shandler, and the Baesball Professor all have their own set of numbers. I’ll use the Baesball Professor, it IS his stat. Next to each player’s name is last year’s X-BA, in short, what he would have batted with the luck factor out…
    Pagan CF .297

Buster C
    Huff 1B
    Belt LF
    Theriot 2B
    Crawdaddy SS
    Timmy P

Huff to 1B and Belt to LF, though it’s not looking that way judging from the last couple of lineups. Blanco’s been a nice spring story, but we didn’t trade for Pagan just to see him get beat out in exhibition games. Maybe Burriss should be rewarded for his big spring, but the Bochy in me leans toward the vet.

12. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:02 am

twin–I just took a pic of the xBA from the baseball forecaster and emailed it to you. I’d post it here but I emailed it to myself and I don’t have a snipping tool on my computer here at work. I’m sure only you and I care about this but feel free to re-post it here if you want.
    The formula is long and I’ve only quickly compared the 2 but they look to be different calculations to me.
    I’m assuming that there are many different formulas out there for *expected* batting average……

13. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:07 am

twin– I’ll just do a few of those to show you how different Shandler’s xBA numbers are from last year compared to the xBA’s you’ve listed above:
    Pagan: .256
    Cabrera: .289
    Panda: .301
    Posey: .243
    gotta run but you get the drift. They are calling it xBA but are obviously using a different formula….

• twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

The Baseball Professor invented it, I’m using those. So it would be Shandler altering the formula. Whatever, it’s a Fantasy stat. BTW, here’s Bill James’ projections for this year. I’ve only listed my selected starters and just BA and HRs. It can all be viewed at FanGraphs..
      Sandoval .311 24
      Posey .304 19
      Belt .266 25
      Crawford .232 8
      Huff .261 13
      Burriss- only part time numbers, none from James. BA ranges from .240 to 260 on Fangraph’s projections, HRs from 0 to 3
      Pagan .278 8
      Cabrera .279 11

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

5 yrs $110M (neighborhood) for The Horse will get done before OD reports John Shea.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm

BREAKING: ESPN saying Cain’s contract largest ever for a righty pitcher.

16. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm

KNBR says it is a done deal, don’t know who is doing the talking but they confirmed it is done. comcast web site Baggs has the details $100 mill, $5 mill guaranteed.

• irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

oops $5 mill signing bonus

17. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:32 pm

extremely happy that this got done. This gives us leverage on Timmy and the Giants don’t HAVE to sign him. And I hope they don’t…….

18. snarkk said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Baer reported to have confirmed:
    5 years for $112.
    Could be up to 7 years total and $141 if all milestones met and options excercised …

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm

best deal in the history of mankind: $112 for 5 years and $141 for 7 [the snarky editor in me couldn’t resist, Snarkk] [insert good-natured collegial fan-ribbing emoticon]

19. Macdog said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Yay!

20. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Well, with Tim as good as gone, they figured they had to do this. Still don’t like the years, but Matt is just coming into his own, Tim’s best years are already behind him, IMO..

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I can live with this too. As Flav correctly pointed out, the Giants don’t have to do anything with Tim, since they have the leverage. He is locked up for two years, which is the max I wanted him for anyway. Also I agree with Twin on his best years being behind him. If we get what ESPN is projecting for him – 227 innings, 241 SO, 15 wins, 3.01 ERA, and 1.19 WHIP, I will be ecstatic!

21. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

So Dennis is this better news than when the Niners finally signed Alex?? Just wondering.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Big deals like this scare the heck out of me, but it ain’t my pocket change. Glad it’s done.

23. Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm

What a extreme relief.gettin the “Horse” signed.The dude is such a “”STUD” 200 innings every year is the key along with Timmeh,especially with the 4-5 slot dicey.
    And FUCK THE DODGERS !!!!!!! You ain’ gettin or “STUD pitchers!!!!!!!!!

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Remember just 5-6 years ago the franchise was adrfit at sea. Cain was the first ray of hope that culminated in a World Series for the club. Good for Cain. He’s s fan favorite and I hope he finishes his career in SF.

After this year, extend Bumgarner. Does he have arbitration years remaining? Whatever they are buy them out plus initial years of FA. Similar to what they did with Cain. Then set the egg timer on Lincecum getting moved for prospects.

25. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm

The media is reporting that Barry is ditching the “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” delivery. Next.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I even saw (Bagg’s I think) that he was trying to mimick Lincecum’s delivery in the off season. Dude’s mind is gone. Along with his fastball.

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hey Dirt, actually – from what I read – that “crouching” delivery was him trying to emulate Lincecum but apparently “Zito doesn’t have the arm speed or athleticism to pull off that delivery. Zito’s arm drags behind his body as he plants his front foot, leading to hittable pitches at the belt.”

Next time ditch the visit with Tom House Zito and pay a visit to the Flap Blog – we can give you advice and it has nothing to do with deliveries, except to find a a new job delivering the mail or something similar.

• mrmrbill said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

lulz. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm

He should give Sidd Finch a call.

• Nipper said, on April 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Stick a fork in him. He’s dead meat.

26. unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

.266 and 25 dingers for Belt? Those are Ort-Rod numbers!

• twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I think Flavor’s boy has it about the same..

27. unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Good on Cain. Never thought I’d be happy to see another ginormous contract, but if they left it to be Timmy that was to sign, the nubbers would be higher across the board. Say 7/$150??

28. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Per ESPN, No trade Clause is in there.

29. gianthead said, on April 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

What a way to start vacation…Cain done for $112.5 for 5 years and a $7.5 buy out for yeart 6? I still think this was a must get done deal and as commented earlier, gives the Giants leverage with Lincecum.

Now just a Kentucky championship tonight and that really makes a great start to vacation….

30. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Marcus Breton of the SacBee.com at the end of his article about the Giants season

Get your popcorn ready? No. Get the antacids. You’re going need them whether the Giants reach the playoffs or not.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/02/4383457/marcos-breton-giants-need-hitting.html#storylink=cpy

31. eddacker said, on April 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I have said before that I like white (shark) in centre to start the season so my lineup is similar to everyone else.
    Except I want to see Pagan earn his leadoff status and have Huff off the bench.
    Pagan LF
    Melky RF
    Panda 3B
    Buster C
    Belt 1B
    Blanco CF
    Theriot 2B
    Crawdford SS
    Timmy P

Congratulations to Matt

32. St said, on April 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Glad to see they got this done. They really didn’t have much choice. Cain had them over a barrel. They couldn’t let him walk and end up in La La land, especially after trading Wheeler. There’s nothing else save Surkamp in the pipeline. And not signing him would, as others have pointed out, make retaining the more expensive Lincecum essential. Filling the vacancies with FA’s or through trade would be very difficult if not impossible and certainly no bargain. Better to get a known commodity, great guy and a great teammate who has proven himself here. Had to get done, but damn, no one can ever accuse the G’s of being miserly.

33. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

“Had to get done, but damn, no one can ever accuse the G’s of being miserly.”

Especially after acting like drunken sailors on shore leave with Rowand and Zito.

34. DJLoo said, on April 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Largest contract ever for a sub .500 pitcher?
    Paying Cain more than LIncecum would be like paying Perry more than Marichal-
    or Drysdale more than Koufax…
    or Koosman more than Seaver…

• zumie said, on April 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm

You’re joking, right?

• DJLoo said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Nope.

• twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm

After 6 years Koufax was 36-50…if free agency was in force then, he would have been eligible then- after the 1960 season. Drysdale would have been eligible after ’61 season with a career record of 79-64. Drysdale would have commanded much much more money than Koufax…

• DJLoo said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Good research, but misses the point.

35. zumie said, on April 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Pagan or Blanco, cf
    Cabrera, rf
    Sandoval, 3b (I disagree with BF; the best overall hitter should bat third.) I could see scenarios where Sandoval gets a two-out double, and Posey pokes a single to drive him in. Posey has the best two-out approach on the team.
    Posey, c
    Huff, lf
    Belt, 1b
    Burriss or Theriot, does it matter? Probably not. If Freddie S. returns, then this position gets solved. The ideal thing would be to see Burriss seize the moment.
    Crawford, ss
    Pitcher

36. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Obviiously, not many kids breaking in in “A” ball will even reach the majors, let one become a star-but the signing gives out a very positive vibe. Matt is the longest tenured Giant, he struggled in his early years with himself and a bad team. That he has been rewarded says a lot to the young guys : “See what a .500 record will get ya!!” I’m joking..no, it says the team rewards the kind of performance and dedication that Cain has exhibited…

37. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Another reason why they call them “rookies.”

Washington Wizards rookie Chris Singleton says it was worth it to buy $10,000 worth of tickets for last week’s Mega Millions lottery, adding it was “either that or blowing it in the clubs.”

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm

that’s hilarious. Shit, if I was that cat I think *blowing it in the clubs* would be an infinitely better way to spend the dough. At least you get something in the clubs. Ha.
      I don’t think Chris Singleton understands math too good……

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Me too. Just ask Tiger . . . 🙂

• Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Blade…….You don’t even have to be a rookie to start laying.down your scratch, see what Gio Gonzalez did right after he signed with the Nats?
      Picked up a Lamabragini for himself,a Ferrari for good old dad, and a Rolls Royce for Mama Sita.Damm wish I was related.
      He better hope most of his denero his guaranteed, cause his ST stats suck.

38. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Besides being a gynormous pussy (come on, who throws at a guy because he got a bigger deal than he did?) he’s also a bad liar. He stood in front of the press and said he didn’t hit him on purpose? With a straight face? He hits Tulo and as soon as Tulo turns around he throws his glove down and goes after him–that is, if you could call it that. He wanted no piece of Tulo. He went after him in a way that said “I’m gonna wait till everyone gets here and THEN start REALLY going after him!!!!!”

39. Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Opening day LU….
    Pagan CF
    Melky RF
    Panda 3B
    Posey C
    Thong LF
    Giraffe 1B
    Burriss 2B
    Crawdad SS
    Freak P

40. DJLoo said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I just can’t warm up to Huff anywhere in the outfield…

• twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm

LF is his best position. And Belt’s best position is 1st base.

• Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I could warm up to him more on the bench Loo,but damn if that will happen.

41. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

He’ll be traded or DFAed if he falters, don’t worry about it. This guy was bailed on faster than any I can remember.

42. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

anyone got any strong opinions about the game tonight? Didn’t we start last season some time at the end of March? Bud’s gonna have the WS playing around Valentine’s Day in a few years………

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Yeah, Kentucky is going to DESTROY Kansas. Or, did you mean the spring training baseball game????

43. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Just received my copy of *Baseball’s Starry Night* in the mail and was surprised to see some love for the blog on the back cover of the book! Thanks Pawlie, that was a great surprise. I can’t wait to read it and will start tonight after I put my daughter to bed…….

44. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

“Flavor said, on April 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Auto pick draft? I was fine with it. I got some of the guys I moved up (Longoria, Lawrie, Jennings, Jesus Montero, Yu Darvish, Cespedes, and Anibel Sanchez).
    Of course, I didn’t get any closers because fuckin’ Kevin drafted all of them 🙂 I got Beckett who I never drafted but who I think will have a very nice year again this year so I’m fine with that. Not into the Latos pick, not sure how I got him……
    The closer problem is easy to fix with the waiver wire as the season progresses. I picked up Melancon today (I had been meaning to do so) when I heard Bailey is hurt again (usually a given with him). Valentine could pick Aceves to close if Bailey misses time but Melancon would be the better choice— and I’m not beating off to Melancon by any stretch I just think he’d be more successful than Aceves. We’ll see…….

Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That’s funny. I had the choice, and I p/u Aceves. Why? I dunno. First in the alphabet I guess.
    That’s why AAAAAAAA Plumbing always do a good business.
    Reply”

Fast forward today . . . Aceves said that he has been told to be ready to start Saturday in case Josh Beckett’s thumb injury prevents him from making his start, Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reports. Aside from the possible assignment getting Aceves back in the starting conversation, which is his preference, this nugget would seem to point directly toward Mark Melancon filling in for closer Andrew Bailey, while he is sidelined.

Good move Flav 🙂

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm

thanks dude. And Marshall finally got the job today with Baker’s tepid approval. Marshall is a thousand times more suited for the job than Chapman. He won’t let me down though the ONLY team out of my 5 that I don’t have him is in the Flap league. And I moved him up big time, too. I can only imagine how many spots Bozo the Fucking Clown moved him up to snag him before I did……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I just dropped Aceves. Sounds like he’s going back into the starting rotation.
        Swing and a miss on that move. That’s OK. I’ll keep trying. And when my toilet gets clogged, I’ll be goddamned if I call AAAAAAAA Plumbing to come fix it.

45. blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I have Sean in my Yahoo league. Also, glad to hear that Tulo is ok . . . He’s also on my Yahoo team. Dipshit Ubaldo screwed me last year when he was on one of my teams and is trying to screw me this year when he’s not even on any of my teams.

46. Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I could give a rat’s ass about this game.Just thank my lucky stars that Cain signed.No worries on his mind now,not getting it done before the season starts would have had a effect on him it’s just natural added pressure he would of felt and probably would have bolted.
    Very difficult to replace 1/3 of your 600 innings in your rotation,Cain,Freak and Bum.Especially when your lucky to get anywhere near 200-250 from Voggy and Zit boy combined.Lot’s of taxing the BP when they start.

Actually, looking forward to see that new Cuban kid Cepedes swing the lumber for the A’s,he has impressive bat speed,just needs to face alot more MLB pitching,but I feel this kid is gonna be special.

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Yeah Kat, the Cepedes kid has a chance to be special. I tried to get him from Flav and no go there. Also, proposed a trade in another league, but the guy knew what he potentially has in Cepedes . . . really hard to find suckers now-a-days. 🙂

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm

In my $150 espn league some dude offered me Cespedes for Yu Darvish who I have on all 5 of my teams. I told him to kindly smoke his own pole……..

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:20 pm

LOL

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Darvish is almost as “can’t miss” as you can get in a player. Cepedes quite a bit less so.

47. DJLoo said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Nice to see old favorite Chet “The Jet” Walker go into the HOF. What a forward combo him and Butterbean Love were…

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm

How do you feel about Reggie Miller Loo? Grin.

• paulinasia said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Ah, I hadn’t seen that. As a kid growing up in Joisey, I watched the Sixers a lot, loved that lineup (even though they never won the big one, if I remember correctly). Walker, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham, Wally Jones, Luke Jackson (and what alternative all-girl band named themselves after him? no, it wasn’t the Luke Jackson band)….

• willieD said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

yeah, i loved chet the jet when he got his ring in philly with hal greer, wild wali jones, luke jackson and wilt. I’ve posted this before, but walker was one of only two guys i ever saw fake thurmond to the sky…connie hawkins being the other.

48. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Kat, this is a big game and series for several guys.

49. paulinasia said, on April 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm

And I’ll join in briefly about Cain, good to see, even if 5 years is risky. On a sleepy morning here, it actually lifted my spirits a bit, just a little thing like that. Good for him, good for the team, good for new players coming up… time to win another Series while Timmy’s still here too. Really looking forward to this year, despite some of the naysaying from certain scribes. Yes, it might still be torture at times, but it should also be fun.

50. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:16 pm

That double off the RF wall might have gone a long way toward securing the 1st base job for Belt- it’s precisely what they want him doing..

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I can’t stand listening to Ray Fosse. I wish Pete Rose would have run over him twice…
    just for good measure.

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm

His color commentary matches the games he calls….
      But wishing ill will on him is over the top. Just be glad he doesn’t do Giants games……
      He’s a little like Jim Barnett but worse. I’m a big Barnett fan, always have been……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I just completed a 10-team draft. I got stuck with the first pick. Against my better judgement knowing that it will probably come back to bite me in the ass, I took Matt Kemp. I think Chuck has him in our league, maybe I’ll have to make Chuck an offer.

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm

what did you pick? 3 or 4? I like Kemp this year. More than Miggy. MIggy is just too gynormous for me to go #1 in round 1 with him. And Braun has got the weight of the world on him. Pujols is semi-rock solid but he’s got the 2 gillion dollar deal to sweat.
        I like Kemp. Says he wants to go 50/50. I secured him on 2 teams when I had the chance. And the best part is, I’m a winner either way. If he goes 50/50, I win. If he falls on his dumb ass, baby blue pussy Dodger self, then that’s all good, too. Fantasy baseball rules……

52. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Huff best take another course in geometry. His LF angles are all obtuse.

53. Brian said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm

There hasn’t been any commentary for a full inning now.

54. Flavor said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:41 pm

On page 17, Blade effectively kicks off Pawlie’s book. Who knew?

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time… like tears in rain…

• zumie said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Great scene. Great movie….and we finally understand your blogname…..

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:52 pm

This move was easily two decades ahead of its time.
        One of the great soundtracks of all time.
        Production design and set decoration just beyond their time.
        Easily in my top 10 of films. Plus, Sean Young, before she went cuckoo…

55. twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Fosse in a nut shell: Kuiper says something about how the fans aren’t going to like a call. Fosse: “who cares?”

56. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Has anyone else had this nightmare? We win one of the Wild Card spots, but because of the SPs we needed to use down the stretch to secure that spot, Zito is all we have left to start that one game, winner-take-all contest. I wake up in a cold sweat.

• paulinasia said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Nope, never does Zito enter my mind, dream state or otherwise. Dry yourself off, Dennis, Zito won’t even be on the team by then.

• twinfan1 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

No, no one has.

• Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Bullpen game before Zito would ever start Dennis.

57. Alleykat said, on April 2, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Twin….Agree their could be a few last second decisions but my personal roster is set, with only adding Blanco to the 40 man in place of Whitey finally or Stewart possible as well
    Roster opening day..
    SP-Lincecum,Cain,Bum,Zito
    Relievers-Affeldt,Casilla,Lopez,Mota,Romo,Wilson,and I’m going with Edlefsen and Otero over Hensley though Boch will probably keep his old vet Clay.
    OF..Cabera,Pagan,Scheirholtz,Blanco
    INF/OF…Huff,Belt,Pill,Sandoval,Crawford,Burriss,Theriot
    Catchers..Posey,Sanchez

My Bench players are…Scheirholtz,Blanco,Pill,Theriot,Sanchez

My bench players are…Sanchez,Blanco,Pill,Theriot and Scheirholtz

58. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I started in the 3rd inning, had a live mic on some A’s bench coach, nothing be said about the game, all about what players do for spring training. I guess A’s fans are use to this kind of crap!!!

59. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Congrats to Kentucky, NCAA champs

• zumie said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Boooooo…..

• irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Oh they were not my team Zum, I was just giving a sports update!! Ha ha

• irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Especially since the A’s announcers were not updating shit

• blade3colorado said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm

My ESPN bracket scored 99% (top 66,624).

60. irishman5574 said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Now those Irish girls need to do me proud tomorrow!

61. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Melky! That’s why I have him batting 6th in my lineup rather than 2nd. I like his “pop” in that spot. And in the other scenario, I’d have Theriot, Crawford and the P spot for the bottom three. Strike one! Strike two! Strike three! We’re out!

• zumie said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Melky’s looking good. Speed ruled that inning.

62. snarkk said, on April 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm

If I had to listen to Ray Fosse every game, I’d have to larder in about 3 cases of Kentucky’s finest libation from Bourbon county to get through the season. Gawd, he is awful…

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Which reminds,me, with the Gyros pulling ahead, its about time to test drive a finger of my new Bulleit rye on the rocks…

• James said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Definitely the best value in rye since Russell’s went north of $30.

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Yep, it’s tasting good, especially after a Gyros win over the phucking A’s…

63. Chico said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Damn, snarkk is drinking the good stuff. A few Sierra Nevada Torpedos going around at my Casa. Bum and Wilson both looked good. Cheers fellas!

64. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm

The Beard looked pretty goddamn good tonight. Three punch outs to close out the deal?
    He could be on my fantasy team. But alas, he’s not. You hear that Kevin? I’m interested. Sent me a wire. Better still. Send a wire to the main office.

note: I also sent out an additional wire to Ed, and a brand new wire to Chuck. Please review and contemplate these wires before telling me to go work on the railroad that goes through Rock Ridge. And whatever players you offer in return, let me and Mel Brooks say…”We don’t want the Irish!”