A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Which Ex-Giant is Going to Have the Best Year?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 4, 2012

In the widget list to the right, you should see a tab that says “Ex Giant Watch List”. Click on the actual stat pic to enlarge it.  It will update daily so you can track how our former players are doing. I need to figger out how to get Rowand to email me updates on how many hours a day he’s spending in his batting cage at home and include that in the list 🙂 If you would like me to add a name to the list, throw it out there and it will get done. THe list is from espn and the “% own” indicates what % that player is owned in espn fantasy leagues. *Type* indicates who owns him in our fantasy league. If it says *FA* then he is a free agent in The Flap league…….

Vungo: He *appears* to be good to go for Opening Day. He’s been battling a calf injury but played in a game yesterday going 1-1 with 2 runs scored. All signs point to him leading off in center field for the Mets this year.

Cody Ross: He’s had a fantastic spring with 6 big flies, a .370 batting average and a 1.257 OPS

Dirrrrrrrty: Man, I’m gonna miss writing his name. He’s had a bad spring. Two terrible starts, 2 ok starts. His ERA is 8.74. He’s given up an alarming number of hits (17 in 11.1 innings) and for a guy who misses so many bats I think that is the most surprising part of his spring. Anyway, he doesn’t seem too worried about it. Here’s an interesting article on how he got started playing ball:

I’m not going to include Beltran (in the poll)  because he wasn’t here long enough for me to care about him. Rowand’s back at home. Ishikawa is on the bubble for a back up job in Milwaukee………

I think that’s about it in terms of ex-Giants. So we’ll just go with those 3……..

1. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:50 am

Hard to root for Dirrrty, since he plays for a Division rival, less so with Vungo, so I will go with the rodeo clown that plays outside our league . . . Go Cody!

Finally, another MLB game . . . Not certain who said this, but with the extra wild card, number of total games, and the Budster doing his drip, drip, drip with the start of the season, yes, I think in a couple of years, we will have playoff games on Valentine’s Day.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:53 am

Huh? Dirty pitches for KC.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

Whoops! OK, I wish him well too.

2. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:56 am

Add Ramon Ramirez to the “Where Are They Now” GMen list . . . With Francisco doing his slow fade in NY, he has as good a chance to close as Rauch, Parnell, etc., over there.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:58 am

yes, good idea, I’ll add him when I get home tonight.

3. sandog said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:08 am

I think Torres is going to have a solid year. I don’t have any hard evidence to back up that claim, just a gut feeling that a fresh start is gonna do him good and he’ll bounce back nicely.
    By the way, what is the opposite of a Hometown Discount? Hometown Markup? Hometown Tax? Hometown Overpay? Whatever it is, that is what Cain got, imo.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:16 am

Like you Sandog, I was for the signing (I think the Poll scored 100% yesterday . . . A first), but thought they overpaid. I think they had to though because Timmy is going to ask for way, way more than Cain got and will probably get it from another team. Conversely, I also posted that the Giants showed that they can compete payroll wise with the Yankees, Redsox, Phillies, and new ownership in LaLa land. Consequently, there is a new paradigm shift where the Giants, Angels, and Marlins basically said Fuck You to those traditional big market teams. I like that. 🙂

4. willieD said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:31 am

Sabean knew this was coming (Cain contract) and hopefully prepared the bean counters. Beltran and reyes weren’t in the picture to upgrade his offense–he said all along it was all about hanging onto his pitching and building around that. Cain got market rate for elite SP, imo—sure the years and bonus plus the no trade are going to make the union, plus guys like hamels ecstatic, but SF could have said no dice and walked away or tried to trade him. Over the years he’s been traded here for a number of guys I’d rather not have, like fielder.
    Or the giants could have gone out and signed Aaron Harang for a lot less money. But those type guys are going to need more run support to win than cain and lincecum have gotten before. Even in 2010 when SF was middle of pack in runs scored, they didn’t seal it til the last day.

5. Nipper said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:39 am

My own poll—–
    How soon until the next BF and Twin tiff?
    a. a few hours
    b. a few days
    c. a few weeks

6. Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

I found it quite amusing that the poll was a clean sweep in favor of the deal Cain signed. If one of those *loose bodies* starts floating around a lil’ how ya’ll gonna feel about the deal then? LQTM…

• Nipper said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

Lets have another poll.

• willieD said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:02 am

sure, but I just don’t think Sf had viable options. You have Vogs, Zito, Surkamp and nothing for SPs behind Tim and bum, and i’m not convinced the offense is much better than 2010. I have no idea what you are going to get out of huff, nate, pagan, burriss/crawford/FS, or if brown can be a starter this year or next. I think if you aren’t going to spend for an FA bat, you gotta have as much pitching as possible. Counting on the young guys to come up and hit, I dunno. I notice kevin frandsen isn’t on your widget list, nor bowker gang guys.

• St said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

Some still pine for the days of Matt Morris and jamey Wright.

7. Alleykat said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:26 am

I wish the best for Torres,but I don’t think he will have a good year.He has hamstring issues every year,same thing with Reyes playing in cold weather NY,often injured.Just hope the ruly fans in NY don’t turn on him.

8. irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

Two days till real baseball begins!! Have to say though that I am thankful that the Niners did so well this year, otherwise it would have been a long, long winter. But I am ready. Had the game on last night, felt good to just sit for 3 hrs being relaxed yelling at the ump/TV about the balls and strikes. Ahh baseball. can’t wait for Friday. TGIF will have true meaning!!

9. irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:31 am

How many saw the play at the plate, the dude was safe. I thought he was even before the slow mo replay.

• irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

thought he was safe

10. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

Actually, Dirty had 5 starts. One was in a minor league game, Tim had one of those, they don’t count in the stats. But they do to the managers and pitching coach. In the first two he gave up 7 runs in 3 innings. In the last 3, he gave up 4 runs in 13 innings, with 4 BB and 21 strike outs. So it’s more accurate to say he had a horrible start to his ST..

11. Bozo said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

I don’t really think it’s a dumb poll but of those three listed (and Ishi would make it four for me), I wish them all well. I dropped Bourjos to get Cody (who I think will have a very good year) and so Blade could pick up Bourjos (insert, sly grin here). All three in the poll could have a solid year and I’ll be checking the new thread to track them.

12. willieD said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

muddy waters would have been 99 today, one of my all time music icons. The “chicago” blues sound of the 50s just captivated me, little walter, otis spann. Plus his early slide stuff was great..processed hair/skinny mustache…so many great lines to his tunes.

13. TedSpe said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

Morning, gentlemen (?). I just started a new job Monday (please don’t congratulate me yet. Too soon to call) and I had to figure out whether or not the new place gave me access to The Flap. Yes and no. I get to read Flav’s excellent intros and all of the usual gang of idiots’ excellent comments but…BBOTD IS BLOCKED!!!! A fucking disgrace. I’ll just have to check them out in the early mornings or later at night.

• irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Blocked?? IT department must read the Flap to know to block that. Usually it is key words that cause something to be blocked.

• TedSpe said, on April 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

Actually, I’m an idiot. It’s not blocked. It’s just that the whole oneflapdown77 blog is formatted differently here so I just couldn’t find it. But I just did!! Let the revelry begin!!

• Nipper said, on April 4, 2012 at 10:26 am

“Actually, I’m an idiot.” An honest Flapper’s latest admission. I admire candor.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:41 pm

congrats question mark genteleman

14. irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

Hey BF, over on Bleacherreport, a writer posted this web site in his article. don’t know if it adds to anything but check it out, don’t know if you want to add to your list to the right.

15. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 10:43 am

I don’t think anything is official yet, but apperars that Belt and Sanchez are in, Huff is already saying he’s an outfielder now… and Bochy said this on Hector:
    “Bochy was asked if Hector Sanchez has done enough to make the team, and Bochy seemed shocked by the question. “Sure he’s done enough,” he responded. “He’s done all he can do — terrific spring.”
    But we’ll see,soon.

story

16. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

“The new phone book’s here! The new phone book’s here!” Oh, wait! That’s Navin R. Johnson’s line . . .

Ahem.

Baseball’s Starry Night arrived in my mail box finally and now I understand the page 17 reference Flav alluded to (yes, I am honored . . . However, even more honored that I, along with Craig, Twin, and Ted are mentioned in the “Acknowledgements,” along with more famous luminaries, such as Jayson Stark, Len Berman, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Bill “Spaceman” Lee). I am very much looking forward to reading this Pawlie. 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm

my pleasure; very rewarding for me to get such comments

17. snarkk said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:13 am

If Belt is in, that’s good news. Bad news is that puts Huff in LF a lot. Logic says he’s better there than in RF, but better than terrible isn’t great. The first line drive that he misplays is gonna start some murmuring. If that’s how they work it, OK, but it’s awkward…

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

Huff is far better in LF, in fact he’s pretty good.

18. snarkk said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

Next time you hear “budget” from the Giants and how rough paying the mortgage is, think of this:

19. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

Belt is a better 1st baseman than Huff and Huff has experience in left. I like that much better than the reverse. Moreover, the main thing that matters is what you said, “If Belt is in, that’s good news.”

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

John Shea reports both Hector Sanchez and Pill have received congratulations and made the squad.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:27 am

NO Whitey NO more. Whiteside optioned.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

Ya know Dennis, if I hadn’t gone to the gym this morning, I would have probably gotten Aceves before you grabbed him, because I wasn’t 100% sold on Melancon being the Red Sox closer. Good job. I was still able to grab him in my Yahoo league though.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

When it comes to the waiver wire, it pays to be a fat lazy slob.

22. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:39 am

Belt Pill Sanchez Otero Hensley made team

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Mildly surprised that Hensley made the team. I thought he would be a call up if Wilson faltered (I thought he was being groomed to be the future closer, right?). Glad Belt is starting and Pill and Sanchez are joining the team. Good luck to Whitey, wherever he goes. All joking aside, he did play a part in our championship and like the rest of the players that have left, I only wish him well.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:49 am

Hensley isn’t a short guy. He and Mota are the long relievers. Closer would come from Romo, Casilla, Affeldt..
        the kd being groomed to close is Hembree..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I agree, Blade; ANYBODY from the Champion team gets a pass from me and fond good wishes

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

Ahh, got my Hs mixed up.

23. St said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Excellent news!

24. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Eli Whiteside and Steve Edlefsen were optioned. Jean Machi, Justin Christian and Joaquin Arias were reassigned.

25. Alleykat said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I would have rather kept Edlefsen over Otero,but otherwise fine with Hensley.They will need 2 long relievers to start the season especially for the 4-5 spots getting Vogs up to pitch counts, and of course the early exits ot Zito.

• irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Early exit of Zito?? what that 81-82 MPH fastball isn’t going to fool anyone, well maybe 1 or 2??

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Otero’s minor league numbers are far superior to Steve’s. Check out their BB/K ratios, in particular.

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Shea reports that Stewart is being traded to the Yankees. I wonder if it’s for Granderson or Cano.

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Man, that’s a tired routine. There are enough seriously dumb trade proposals…

• Alleykat said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm

The best Sabean could get from the.Yanks for Stewart,would be the use of Stienbrenners urn on his desk.

27. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I had thought they might keep Arias for his defense, but Pill desreves the chance to show he’s better than a AAAA player. He might just have a couple weeks to do it. The Giants are talking like Fruckie will be ready in a couple weeks and I doubt they’ll keep it at just one middle infield reserve…

28. Bozo said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm

“We’re at 25,” – Bochy

Way to go Gregor and congrats to all the 2012 San Francisco Giants. Have fun today, have a couple of brews because Friday the team starts pounding away at another Division title.
    Go Giants.

• Alleykat said, on April 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Right On Bozo!!!!!!! Just glad Boch went with the youngsters,for more power!!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm

there’s a fresh new speedy, shiny feel to the ’12 Giants

29. Bozo said, on April 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Stew to the Yankees for RHP George Kontos.

• irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Beat me to hit, good thing I refreshed the page before posting that info

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Who? Regardless, a lot of potential for flap nicks with that name.

• Bozo said, on April 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I see a new contest in the Flap future.

30. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

This should (temporarily) put to rest the fiction that Bochy and the veterans have gay pajama parties which Whitey has photos of…

31. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yankees signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal,,
    And Stewart is their back up catcher, they optioned Cervelli…

32. irishman5574 said, on April 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

From comcast

The decisions made Wednesday means that only Posey, Huff, Nate Schierholtz and Pablo Sandoval are everyday players with 2010 World Series rings. There would be a fifth if Freddy Sanchez were healthy, but that is so yesterday’s news.

33. TedSpe said, on April 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This sucks. At first I thought I just couldn’t see the BBOTD. Now this new place I’m working has blocked the whole blog on me all day as a “social media site” or something like that. I just kind of crept in right now but I’m sure I’ll get blocked again later. What the hell do they want me to do at work anyway? Work??!!

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Crazy SOBs. You need to apply for a Giants admin. position Ted. As long as you are not pilfering from the payroll, I understand they are very understanding about these things.

• TedSpe said, on April 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm

hahaha

34. Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Twin– you were right. I know nothing about Bochy. Good on you for knowing him so well. And I couldn’t be happier with the decisions made (Nate to bench/Belt starting and Hector backing up Posey)…….
    And Blade, Aceves sucks, I’m holding on to Melancon and bidding for him this Sunday evening in all 3 of my NFBC leagues……
    I’m actually completely shocked that we got something for Stewart. I’m sure there’s something wrong with Kontos or he would have made it to the bigs by now. But his season ERA’s are always in the 2’s to mid 3’s and last year he checked in with a k an inning and a sparkling 1.09 WHIP— hey, triple A isn’t the bigs but it’s a hell of a lot better than A ball. Unreal that we got this guy for freakin’ Stewart…….

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm

WTF are you talking about? The PJ parties are a LIE, I tell you, a LIE! OK, there was one. Well, a few..

35. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:21 pm

He sucks? Umm, just wondering . . . Why did he get the closer position over someone that had 20 saves last year? Hey, Melancon has a good WHIP and ERA, but so does Aceves. I think saying he “sucks” is over the top, i.e., Boston saw something and selected him over Melancon (whom I don’t think “sucks”). It was probably very close.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I use the word *sucks* liberally.
      Valentine, who I think *sucks* (but maybe I really just think he’s an idiot), said this about why he picked him:
      “He loves competition,” Valentine said when asked why he selected Aceves. “He’s one of the better competitors I’ve seen. I could be wrong. I haven’t seen him up close and personal in battle. But he’s a very good competitor.”
      Now, I have already listed the xERA for Aceves the last 2 years and he’s more than a point off his actual ERA (and I think last year he was 2 points off it though I don’t have the Forecaster in front of me right now). I have had extremely good success guiding my fantasy decisions off the Forecaster’s xERA (as well as xBA) and since I think Valentine is an idiot (and I think I even predicted he would pick Aceves in a post the other day) I am totally fine with riding out the inevitable Aceves implosion before Melancon takes over. Again, I’m not super high on Melancon but I think he’ll do a better job than Aceves. We’ll see, if Aceves works out I will consider erasing the idiot moniker that I affixed to Valentine many years ago………

36. zumie said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

The roster decisions by the Giants went very well. Basically, the fans got what they wanted. That is, other than Zito not being released, which is a kind of holy grail for Giants fans.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Zumie [thanks for your FB post — as if i go there enough] — wish you could just Like or Retweet posts here; it appeals to my abject laziness and binge factor

37. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm

They went offense and went young…8 of 13 positions players are home grown, BTW. And 7 of 12 pitchers…

(Gammons picks a 7 game World Series with the Angels,. Weaver beating Tim in Game 7 )

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm

really? I like it and am prepared to like this retooled team. I think it is psychologically different too. Last year we were logy, sluggish, is that the word? Anyway, sure, I’d take a rematch in the Series.

shutting laptop down for a bit

• twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Well, Gammons also picked Bobby Crosby to win the AL MVP one year..

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Wait. Hold it. Stop. Votto has a 12-[as 12 steps, 12 apostles, 12 months, 12 inches, as in after 11]year contract? What? Hello? Has that ever been done before? What if Asteroid Franzoiga hits planet Earth 9 years into the contract? TWELVE YEARS? Where have all the sanities gone?

39. Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm

People are freaking over the Votto contract and if I was a small market team, I would too. But the argument that
    he won’t be able to DH when he gets older (as he is in the NL) doesn’t really hold water for me. The NL is going to go with the DH in less than 5 years, IMO.
    His deal isn’t that much different than the Pujols deal, they’ll both be DHing in the later part of it……..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I stand by the above. 12 is too long. For a baseball contract.

• zumie said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm

For a baseball contract.

40. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I thought I would never say this, but the Marlins ultra-modern baseball stadium looks really cool in a “Miami vice pink, blue, green, peach, fuchsia, teal, salmon art deco” way.

41. zumie said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I could warm up to the DH in the National League, I think. It’s just one of those things I don’t get as worked up about anymore.
    In Pawlie’s book there’s a Red Sox fan that talks about not getting as agonized over baseball things after the Red Sox finally won the World Series in ’04. I can relate to what that guy was saying. It’s easier to let some things go after the Giants won in ’10.

• mrmrbill said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:19 pm

No way! Ya gotta have two different sets of rules to distinguish the leagues. Otherwise it would be … football.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I agree, I really do, but Magnus is right about the inevitability of it. The NFL- and NHLization of MLB per Seligiheliggestromsistrasse.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Zumie, I totally got what that Sox fan was saying. it’s like, “Do what you want. You can’t ever hurt us as bad as it hurt before. We’re good now. We’d like more, but it can never be as bad as it was because the ‘is’ is now better than the ‘was’ once was.” Okay, so I went all Bill Clinton there for a sec. In honor of his budget SURPLUS. Onto checking my FL stats.

42. zumie said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Just for the heck of it, I’ll post a chunk of the Gammons article that TF referenced:

“The Giants begin the season as the favorites in the West because Madison Bumgarner appears set for a breakout season, Brandon Belt has made it and Bruce Bochy has a lot more depth and flexibility than he did last year. Can Brian Wilson hold up? He is so tough he would never admit he’s hurt, but he was throwing 89 mph at the end of last season and he is a fearless cliff-diver. Arizona has pitching depth and a dangerous lineup; the Dodgers are sleepers if Nathan Eovaldi emerges in June; the Rockies are contenders if their starters get straightened out and the Padres’ young pitchers, like Casey Kelly and Joe Wieland, could make them a pain to play in the second half.

All of which makes me think the Angels, Tigers, Yankees, Giants, Reds and Marlins win their divisions, and the Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies and Dodgers are the Wild Cards, which brings us back to the 10th reunion of the Angels-Giants World Series. After Barry Bonds, John Lackey, David Eckstein and Jeff Kent throw out the ceremonial first pitches in Games 1-4, Weaver beats Lincecum 3-2 in Game 7 on Mark Trumbo’s seventh-inning home run.”

• DJLoo said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Fuck him, too. And BTW the Heyman rule is proven again….

43. Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

DJ LOO–Heyman is the dude who was spazzing out about the Votto contract because there’s no DH in the NL. He needs to think ahead a few years and this should all start making sense to him……
    Pawlie, I hear you on the 12 year deal *sounding* idiotic. But check it out. None of these teams give a shit. They are making more money than ever.
    The Reds, just like the Angles and Detroit, don’t give a shit about the back end of these deals. They want to win now and they know they’re going to make a bejesus load of money over the life of the deal. If the last 3 or 4 years of the deal is no good they don’t care. By then, they’ll have another *Votto* or *Fielder* or *Pujols* to ride.
    If you needed any other reason to support the fact that the Angels don’t give a flying fuck about a contract number just look at what they did last year. They TRADED Mike Napoli for a dude (Vernon Wells) who still had 88 million dollars left on his contract. Forget what an idiotic, 1-sided trade that was. And it was and I blogged about it they day the foolishly did that deal.
    Instead of throwing up their hands to their fans and saying “We’ve got the Wells contract weighing us down, we can’t sign any big free agents” they go out and sign the biggest one of them all! Vernon Wells is pocket change to them……
    And the Tigers are even funnier. They lose their first baseman for the year to a knee injury. He had what? About 50 million left on his deal? And he’ll be back next year and he’s a stud.
    But instead of just finding a stop gap 1-bagger for the year they go out and sign Prince Fielder to a 214 million dollar deal. Big, Fat Prince Fielder. No one in the Tigers organization is dumb enough to think that Prince ISN’T going to fall victim to his fatness at some point in his career. They simply don’t care……
    And the Reds locked up one of (if not THE) best hitter in the NL for 12 years. They knew he wanted to go back to Canada at some point (born there) and figured *fuck it, we’ll sign him to a deal he can’t refuse.” And like the other teams signing guys to 150+ million dollar deals, they could give less than a single fuck about the back end of those deals.
    It took me a while to get my brain wrapped around this financial insanity but I get it now and nothing surprises me anymore……

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

this is on the cusp of the verge of depressing me — this being reality — described above…but it ain’t my Louis Vuitton MrMrBillBillfold

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 6:53 pm

reality is, the Giants start Friday. Reality is, you said you would write a book about 9/28/11 and you did it. Live in that reality for a while, and remember this: “Clowns don’t frown, nor do the women they frequent”. That has nothing to do with anything, I just found it amusing. 🙂 🙂

• Bozo said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm

“Clowns don’t frown, nor do the women they frequent”.
        For some reason that sounds more like a pirate clown quote to me (although I like it). The modern day clowns like to say “Once you go clown, there’s never a frown”
        Shit Flav, now I’m tripping on a whole pirate clown thing.

44. Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

A couple of thoughts about the new Marlin Park: I love it. Mostly from a logistical standpoint–no more rain outs and I think just the psychological factors of the players not having to change 3 times during a game or having to sit out long rain delays will be a boon to them—I think my main man Anibel Sanchez will have a huge year….
    I like the dimensions and the structure of the building…
    I HATE the colors. No outfield wall should ever be lime green. And that *homerun celebration* doo-hicky out in center field is a joke. And that fucking thing gyrates and pulsates for 34 seconds after a Marlin bomb is hit. Dumb.
    I like the fish tanks but wish they were more visible. I also wish they had actual Marlins in them but I realize the logistical problems of that….
    All in all, a fantastic park though and just what that team needed to kick start their franchise……..

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm

They should have made one long tank all the way around the stadium, where the Marlins could just cruise the stadium. Put some small fish in there to make it interesting if the game is boring . . . They could pan the marlin tank and watch the marlins chasing after a tuna.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

that would have been fucking awesome!!!!!!

45. St said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I think it’s funny, ironic and oddly satisfying that the big spending Yankees traded for our much maligned backup catcher. I guess with their lineup, they can live with a .200 hitting b/c. But damn, catchers must be in short supply.
    Comforting to know we should be set at the position now with Posey, Sanchez and perhaps Joseph and Susac down the line.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Stewart does some things. I’m surprised the Yankees noticed. He’s probably the best bunting catcher in all of baseball and he’s got a fucking cannon of an arm. I will add him to the *ex Giants follow list” to the right…….

• Alleykat said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Wow Stewart can drop a bunt down occasionaly,that sure gets me excited.He also said “Man I can’t hit anything Jamie Moyer throws”.Boch probably saw that quote and laughed.

46. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Jason Motte closes the door. Chalk up save #1 for both him and the PUSS.

47. DJLoo said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:25 pm

The Cain contract is just sinking in. It’s asinine.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm

then you should have voted *no* in the poll. It was a clean sweep, loo. It’s now 50 to nada. You could go over to the poll and ruin it. Why not, right?

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

LOL. Man, for whatever reason that’s killing me.

• DJLoo said, on April 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Done! Now what the fuck is that pink and grey insect next to my name?

• mrmrbill said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Aside from Cain and 49 other Flapsters, the person most happy about Cain’s contract is prolly Cole Hamels.

• blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm

. . . and aside from Loo hating the contract, Phillies ownership probably hates it the most.

• Bozo said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m thinking Mrs. Cain is probably happier than anyone, the kids are probably pretty stoked too (except they don’t know it yet).

48. twinfan1 said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I feel a bit like that guy in the commercial who wanders outside in a daze- its been Winter, get the man a burger…it’s been a long one here and Winter is not over until Opening Day. It took me a long time to get jazzed about baseball this year, but now that it’s upon us- bring me that burger, medium rare- and Play Ball!

• snarkk said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm

A double double with fries?…

49. willieD said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm

If you could stomach Burrell in LF for 7 innings, you should be able to abide Huff. He can always rest vs. LHP if necessary. Nice roster all around, and good for Pill. See what happens.

50. blade3colorado said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Interesting – willieD got the purple insect mascot and Loo got the gay pink insect.

• DJLoo said, on April 4, 2012 at 8:55 pm

He’s starting to grow on me..

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm

upload a pic of yourself and that gay pink think would go bye bye. Come on Loo, it’s time that Flavor Nation gets a look at you…….

• willieD said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm

i’m kind of funny enough looking anyway to start with…this seems unnecessary.

51. snarkk said, on April 4, 2012 at 9:42 pm

All in all, I’m pretty cool with the 25.
    But, I’m sure they’re a coupla thngs I don’t like with it — yeah The Riot and Zito aren’t great, and I give Burriss about 4-6 weeks before that show gets closed down. Oh, well, there’s always tomorrow…