A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Be Careful What You Wish For…….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 5, 2012

Brandon Belt starting in SF and not Fresno? Check.

Nate to the bench? Check.

El Presidente and his VP no where to be seen in the clubhouse on Opening Day? Double check.

Hector Sanchez? Yup.

This is just all unfolding too weirdly. What do the bloggers have to complain about today? Bochy and Sabean hit just about every single wish the fans had for the team this year (minus the grand daddy of them all, an outright Zito release). Just remember, this is what all the yahoos at Pav’s Blog wanted to see happen. Hey, it’s what I wanted to see happen but never believed the Giants would do…….

And then it happened….

I’m not too sure where Nate goes from here. In hindsight, I really don’t understand why Bochy made comments back in December that basically gushed all over Nate and suggested the right field job was his going into the 2012 season. I guess there is an ongoing unsaid expectation that if you don’t produce you lose your job. And it’s that way for pretty much everyone, as even Bochy’s beloved Whiteside found out yesterday….Of course, it has now been established that I know nothing about Bruce Bochy so I’ll let others more *in the know* than I explain it to me…….

According to the team, Nate struggled with a bunch of minor injuries all Spring. That’s been the story of his career, hasn’t it? Jenkins said in his article today that some inside the organization have privately questioned his desire and commitment to the game. That claim caught me a little off guard. If that’s the case then why roll with Nate for all these years, basically handing him the job last December and saying (paraphrasing here, I don’t have time to look up the quote) that Nate has worked so hard and he’s earned the chance to start at this level?

Anyway, we got what we all wanted. Nate is taking his rightful spot on the bench (he’s a definite trade candidate if Blanco keeps it rolling) and Hector’s bat will be mercifully replacing the two-headed silliness of Whiteside and Stewart….

Now, let’s play some ball……….

1. blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:58 am

In Bruce I trust. Speaking of managers, I saw this Mattingly smack down of Kemp. Too funny . . .

“It’s Magic, are you kidding me? Playing in the NBA is a lot different than playing in high school.”—Manager Don Mattingly, on outfielder Matt Kemp’s assertion that he could beat the 52-year old Magic Johnson in a 1-on-1 basketball game.

2. Bozo said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:09 am

I’m happy with this 25. To me the beauty of it is, if something isn’t working management will try and fix it. Like the OD line up, the team itself can be in a state of flux and 2010 proved that strategy can work in a very beautimous way.
    Thinking about Opening Day. I always loved it, despite the pomp and the non baseball crowd, it was the first day back. I’d get the same feeling on OD as when I was a kid getting to go to a Major league game (I didn’t get to go to too many), you not only hear the murmur of the crowd but you could feel it right when you got inside the stadium. From 1981 on, I would go to Opening Day and treat it like the grand holiday it was (you like Christmas? Fine, give me Opening Day). In 2008 I moved back East and even set my whole moving date so I could attend Opening day. 2009, my first year missing OD, I had gotten the MLB package, made myself a couple of Polish dogs, sucked down some Sierra Nevadas and was happy as could be. But, it wasn’t the same. I went back last year to see them raise the Flag and sitting in my old seats, it was like the greatest homecoming ever. I think last year even topped 1993, when the Giants were STILL in SF and not St Pete, hell 93 was a homecoming for the team as well. So this year finds me walking into uncharted territories, as I make my way to DC for the Nats OD. I know it won’t be the same as a Giants opener for me, but the kid in me will still feel the buzz of the crowd as I walk into the stadium. Once I get a Polish and a beer, it may not feel like home but I’m hoping it’ll feel like I’m visiting a good friend.
    Happy New Year y’all.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

a post of the day if ever there was one; great sketch; and your hometown guys won, tho’ they are bizarre organization, are they, not, sending Lannan to Cuse like that

3. blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:19 am

Last year we scored the fewest runs in the league. The additions of outfielders Melky Cabrera, Angel Pagan and Gregor Blanco provide Bochy more flexibility on defense and in the lineup. Bochy will have more team speed and athleticism, and that’ll be refreshing for a club that for years has gone station to station.

It also should help that the Giants are younger at shortstop with Brandon Crawford. Brandon Belt, the first baseman of the future, will eventually replace Aubrey Huff. And the speedy, switch-hitting Emmanuel Burriss, who has opened eyes with his bat and glove, could be the starting second baseman, replacing injured Freddy Sanchez, who I believe is DONE.

For years, the Giants have been talking about adding younger and more athletic position players, and they took a big step in the offseason. No longer can you take potshots at Bochy for always going with a veteran. That’s a total falsehood anyway, i.e., HE HAD NO CHOICE.

Pitching remains the anchor, and Tim Lincecum is the ace, although Matt Cain would be the top guy in many rotations. Madison Bumgarner is an ace in the making (and in my opinion will have a better season than our two top guys), and Ryan Vogelsong is coming off a comeback season for the ages, although he’s getting a slow start to 2012 because of a back injury.

With Sanchez going to the disabled list, two other players coming off injuries are slowly regaining their elite status . . Catcher Buster Posey, who missed the final four months with leg injuries, and closer Brian Wilson, who was shut down because of an elbow injury, look to rebound this year.

Division title and ??????

4. willieD said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:22 am

nice, bozo, enjoy. OD is special, after the tedium of ST.
    I like the flexibility of the LU, burriss can cover SS better than Theriot for crawford off days. OF will be interesting to watch, as I think starters could play themselves out of spots in first month. With the switch hitters, I want to see how splits work out, and same goes for belt/huff vs. LHP.
    Nate and his cult…I think he’s best when he is spraying the ball line to line, not when he is trying to put the ball in the air at ATT. He showed more pop last year and pumped up the slugging, but not to the level of Huff in 2010, who hit 12 bombs out of the yard. Nate isn’t going to do that; maybe in milwaukee or a band box yard in the NL central, but not here. He’s never going to be a high OB guy either, b/c he hacks. SF has to be concerned about his health too–if he can’t stay healthy, you gotta look elsewhere, and melk/pagan/blanco and huff have shown enough in to push him aside. No one to blame but himself—hopefully he winds up in a park better suited to his talents, and wows people with his D and occasional pop.

5. paulinasia said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

Ah, Flapper nation is tuning up today for Opening Day and awakes with real baseball talk and a lot of hope and good cheer after a long off-season, very cool. First, Craig, you DO know Bochy, and you know you know Bochy. You got to know Bochy for real two years ago. He rocks in putting the pieces together. His first few years, he didn’t have any pieces. He did in ’10 and he does now. Obviously, only time will tell if the roster many of us wanted and the team has chosen will do as we hope. Just as obviously, some of them will and some of them won’t. Yes, in Bruce we trust, Blade.

I don’t blame Bochy for saying what he said about Nate back in December. Try to pump the guy up instead of him always being on the bubble. Nate had a chance, he hasn’t taken it. If he and everyone else would just accept that he’s a fine 4th outfielder for defense and the occasional key hit, then he could probably prosper in that role. Good teams have key players like him. I remember, for some reason, the Orioles teams back in Weaver’s day, like Lowenstein, and damn there are a couple others on that team, spot players, often came through. Need that. Up to Nate whether he takes it. Lookin’ like…. not.

Ah, Opening Day. Seen them have to plow snow off the outfield grass on OD at Fenway… and also seen glorious spring days by the bay. Enjoy it, ya’ll.

6. irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:43 am

Flav, I am one of those who has been screaming for youth over the last few years, For me I would rather see a struggling young player who has a chance of getting better, than a vet, I know is on the down side of his carreer, knowing that he is not going to improve. Let the new era Giants begin. Youth will reign!! Go Giants

7. zumie said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m diggin’ the optimism. I’m pumped up!
    I watched a days-old ST game on DVR last night- the Braves vs. Tigers, Verlander vs. Hanson, and I’m fully geared up for REAL games.

8. irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

Anyone listening to KNBR this morning, they are playing sound bites of the Saints locker room before playing the Niners. Interesting stuff!!

• zumie said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

It’s on the frontpage of SFGate, too, and is going nationwide, no doubt. That coach is so not ever going to coach in the NFL again, or even college or high school. He’s done.

• irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yeah, it is one thing to pump up your defense, but to clearly state what he wants them to do to a certain player!! ugly!!

9. irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:57 am

Kuiper on KNBR this morning says that since Belt and Pill are on the team, he thinks when Posey needs a day off he will truly get a day off. He thinks that Posey will not play 1st with Belt/Pill/Huff available for 1st. He thinks that is the way it will play out due to the way Hector hit the ball in ST. Not as much of a drop off in hitting like there would have been with Whiteside or Stewart. We will see though.

10. twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

Well, I doubt the yahoos at the Merc blog wanted Huff,. but I pointed out well before ST started that their best LU would have Belt at first, Huff in left. Hector was a long shot, I think his defense actually won him the job, the pitchers liked him- that was key. He was going to hit better than Whitey and Stew, but they’ll be happy with .260ish- without some confidence in his defense, he never would have made it. Blanco came out of nowhere-if he succeeds here, credit whoever scouted him in winter ball- he was traded to KC in 2010, then released after a nice season, and released by the Nats after a terrible minor league season in 2011. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop on this guy but there’s no denying he can defend and steal bases. And in 250+ games in the bigs he’s had a .358 OBP..

11. gianthead said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

Good comments Flav…I was surprised they went with their gut choices here, but I am thrilled to see belt getting the nod at first first. I would like to see what Blanco can do and hope he starts a couple of times in Arizona.

I was surprised to see the Nationals demote lefty John Lannan while he is owed $5 million. That is a lot of change to be sent to AAA. Lannan is a very capable lefty that I hope they begin scouting asap in the minors for once Zito hits the magic injury ailment.

Nate, maybe DC native Burriss when Glasschez is back and a maybe one of our relievers that will be demoted when Vogelsong is back for Lannan could get that deal done…

Go Sharks tonight…

12. Nipper said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

The Giants are doing what had to be done ….get younger and faster and better. The older vets just walked the plank right off the roster.

13. twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

By and large, former NFL players are defending the tape. Disgusting..who’s going to suffer the most from all this? Probably the original whistle blower, alleged to be Jeremy Shockey ( by Warren Sapp). The EsPN report, btw, doesn’t even talk about Alez, yet Williams offered money to get him :
    At one point Williams says, ‘We hit (expletive) Smith right there’ — then he points under his chin (and continues) — ‘remember me,’ ” Pamphilon recounted to Yahoo Sports. “Then he rubs his thumb against his index and middle fingers — the cash sign — and says, ‘I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that (expletive) out.’ ”
    Players also are instructed to go after Crabtree’s ACL,Vernon’s ankle, Kyle’s head..none of these coaches should coach again .BTW, I’ve noted before that Alex appears to have some words with the Saints, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had been trash talking , using the coachs’ speech as ammo. Watch Alex as he strides off the field ater the game winner to VD…

• Nipper said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

Almost as bad as Twin taking on BF in the bad old days.

14. twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

Chuck- I tried to post that on your blog- it won’t post.

• Nipper said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

You must troll first.

15. unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:56 am

The season hasn’t even started yet, and the Orioles are out of it. State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota, edged the O’s 2-1 in a charity game at Ed Smith Stadium.

Ouch.

• Nipper said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

At least the O’s wear the right colors.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

I sent you a trade proposal. Please at least look at this one. Unlike the last one that you completely ignored.

• blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

He ignores mine too . . . Too busy fixing his kid’s cars. LQTM. By the by, Chuck, did you at least set your lineup for today?

16. irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

There are too many guys posting on sports articles saying this goes on from High School on up. I know of two High school football players who are in wheel chairs. I hope the opposing coach did not cause those injuries. If ever a recording like that came out of a high school locker room and my son became disabled by it, I would be out in front of that coaches house everyday with my disable son, with signs and mega phone in hand!! Yes there are legitimate injuries in all sports, carreer ending and otherwise. But to blatanly call out what body part to attack is just plain wrong!!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:35 am

You, too. You got too many damn closers on your team. I offered you a big bat in return.

• irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

recently? Send the trade i will re check it out

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

Within the hour. And if Bozo is around, you have one in your inbox as well. I’m “Trader Jack” McKeon today.

• Bozo said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

I saw the request Dennis – NO Whitey way am I doing that one.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:38 am

No prob. guys. Thanks for at least checking them out. I’ll probably throw some more shit at your walls and see if sumthin’ sticks. Feel free to throw some shit my way…

17. Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 10:51 am

What a great post by Clown, hope you enjoy the game. A couple co-workers were going to the Mets opener, so yeah, I was a little jealous. Watching Mets-Braves, nice to see Johan back out there. Torres swung at the second pitch and flied out to RF near the edge of the warning track. Of course the real opener isn’t ’til tomorrow, but hey, it’s still baseball.

18. snarkk said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

With the personnel choices available, the Giants finally took risks for youth and are going with it. I commend that. If it blows up, then adjust and move forward. Second base remains a serious question mark. I assume Franchez is damaged and there’s a good chance he does not come back, or if he does, could be a shell of his former self. I think Burriss will prove out to be the AAAA player we’ve seen before, and Theriot showed yesterday that he’s not exactly a leather flasher. Second shapes up again as a mid-season trade situation. Pitching looks solid, except Zito; I expect it will be a little less sharp than last year, and they may need to get a #5 off the scrap heap early to replace Zito who looks like he’s on his last legs. I’m going with 650 runs this season, just over 4 rpg. I can’t expect more than that at this point, the team has increased but still mediocre pop, but speed and better OBP should get SF near to the 4 mark. With better run production, pitching down a bit, and better division competition, I’ll go with SF with 91 wins and a WC winner.

LA (Magic wins division)
    Giants (WC)
    Dbacks
    Rocks
    Pads

• eddacker said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:40 am

Holy, Heck, I am not local or informed, but this sounds so much like all the things Pawlie considered. Money, market and a weak division means we win. Really, a team with Uribe at 3rd is better than ours? Big Head v “that dude who spent seven seasons as a special hitting instructor during Spring Training ?” Chavez Ravine v China Basin?
      and new owners wins the division?
      if that is true, give me the Dbacks as WC

• eddacker said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

by we, I meant, the team with market, money i.e. La Dog errrs

19. Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ooops: Torres picked off first by Hanson for the third out after Uggla clanked his grounder.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

We’ve got a group lunch bet in the office on the over under for Zito pitching 95 innings. I went polly and picked the over.

• blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

Actually, that is a great bet Dirt. Other than last year, Zito has been an inning eater. In the bag, unless they release his ass. 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

I agree. While I went with the under I put it out there that amending to a dinner be might be approriate. Zito DFA by August. Not takers yet.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:23 am

A “true” Giants fan would bet the UNDER. You can’t root let alone bet more of anything from Barry Zito.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:26 am

Simple math: the more starts and IP from Zito this yr = less of chance of SF making the postseason.

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Wrongo Bongo. Here’s the leash Bochy just got for him.
      zits

22. eddacker415 said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:28 am

WOW, coming in gfrom a great day on the Quayside and I find my BBC sprots radio now has a MLB show. Then I see the news from SF Gate and suddenly; why the Marlins open the new stadium in Miami and then next day they are in Cincinnati is NOT the biggest news of the day.
    GO GIANTS!
    I brought Pawlie’s book with me on the long holiday and I have finished chapter 5, BUT NOW IT IS OD and I do not have to be at work until tuesday. Day time will be enjoying the history and culture of the Geordies. But night time is MLB on the laptop, radio and
    oh, shit, gotta set my lineup.
    Peace
    P.S. nice lead post Magnus.

23. eddacker said, on April 5, 2012 at 11:46 am

Wow, 12 noon in Ca and the sun is going down here. I am looking forward to the 9:00 news and you guys?
    HAHA, you guys are at work!
    suckers

24. Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Torres scores the game’s first run on Wright’s single after a leadoff walk! And Ramirez pitched a scoreless 7th, so he could get the win.

• Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Make that a scoreless 6th for Ramirez.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I saw a report that Torres left the game with a leg injury. Hope he’s OK.

• Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Strained left calf.

• Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Got hurt on a triple by Tyler Pastornicky (his first career hit), though Torres misplayed it a bit before pulling up hurt. And Ramirez gave up the triple.

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Pitching is dominating the early games. Runs are few and far between.

26. eddacker said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Ross looking like he misses the green wall in left

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

It may be Opening Day, but there’s no other place that I’d rather be than Augusta National…

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Twin will appreciate this one.

Randy Johnson bitching about the hot dog machine is funny to me. “What do you mean I can’t get a big unit with relish!!!”

29. Macdog said, on April 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Ramirez gets a win in Mets debut!

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Who’s side are you on, son?

30. DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm

One more negative Matt Cain stat…
    Career record vs. LA & SD: 8-19
    Glad we got ’em. Completely stupid contract.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Loo, with your new avatar color I’m gonna start referring to you as Molly Ringwald.
      “Pretty in Pink”

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

5 years is too much, but the contract had nothing to do with his CAREER record, it was based on his last three years, when he had a decent team behind him. Dragging out old completely irrelevant past numbers is absurd.

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

There’s nothing old or irrelevant about 5-6 years ago. And there’s nothing unusual at all about a pitcher having a winning record for a losing team.

31. irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm

TF, LMAO over the leash pic! Excellent

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Jose Valverde who didn’t blow a save opp. (49/49) last year, blows his first chance this year.
    oops.

I wonder if Henrik Stenson who was -5 with a 2-shot lead going into 18 said “oops” after he took a snowman on his final hole for today. “Frosty the Snowman was a jolly happy soul… Happy Birthday!”

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm

The Sox just announced Aceves as their new closer, and their first action is to bring him into a NON-save situation. Fuck ’em all.

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Denny, the great ones retire their old material and move on to fresh stuff. Time to bury the non-save schtick.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Aceves came into a NON-save situation and faced two batters: he hit the first one and gave up the GW single to the next. That’s not schtick in my book, it’s shitty managing. And as long as shitty managing is prevalent with regards on how to use closers, I’ll state my case of which I’m certain.

“My Way” (1968)
        Paul Anka, Claude Francois and Gilles Thibault. Arranged by Don Costa.

I had the distinct pleasure to hear Frank sing that song live three times.

34. zumie said, on April 5, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Anyone that uses Cain’s W/L record against him is being ludicrous. Cain is possibly the least run-supported pitcher in recent MLB history. I don’t know if that can even be verified, but I’d be interested to know what starting pitcher in the last few decades of MLB history over the course of pitching 5+ years was given less run-support.

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Bryce Harper debuted at AAA level here. I didn’t go. Was cold. In interview he does seem to have matured and sounds like a fan of the game. At some point I will likely file a report.

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

There goes the save situation for Sean Marshall as the Reds go up 4-0 in the B8.

Fuck You Bozo!

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The Reds will be in the NLCS…

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Another Pinky Prediction….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm

No save for Marshall, but did he ever look filthy. 35+ for him should he remain healthy…

37. unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Blade, no I didn’t set my lineup today.

Lo and behold, I’m in 1st place. The less I fuck with my team, the better. It’s called managing in absentia.

Really Dennis? You call that a trade? I’m surprised you didn’t throw in Soriano.

Zumie, for the past 5 years, Cain has the worst run support in the majors at 3.7 RPG.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Bautista for Kemp? Damn straight I call that an honest trade. Don’t like it? Fine. Joey Bats is on pace for 162 HRs this year. And as for Soriano, he and I will have the last laugh.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m thankful you didn’t see my first trade offer. I was basically giving up Peralta for Dee Gordon at SS.
        Mistake on my part. He’s a one-trick pony. Peralta will give me stats across the board — except in the SB dept. I’ll have to find them elsewhere…

• unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Bautista may end up on the DL soon.

• blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I’m curious Chuck, why do you say that about Bautista?

38. unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm

TF I see your posting problems on my blog resolved themselves. WordPress has been acting weird lately.

Like asking for my ID and password like 2x a day when it used to be once a month.

39. unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm

So, you think it’s a good idea to let Timmy AND Matt leave, DJ?

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

No, Chuck. I just think they overpaid Cain beyond belief. Don’t misunderstand. His 2010 postseason was one for the ages, and I would hate to lose him. But the reality is that he’s really been just a slight cut above what they would commonly call an “innings eater.” How about winning 18-20 games for once? We’re gonna fuckin’ need it. He’s never come close!

• St said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm

What would you have paid for Cain, Mr Pink?

• unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

How many 20 game seasons does Timmy have? How many runs does this team score? W-L is horeseshit when you look at Cain’s era.

I’ll say it again, in the last 5 years Cains has the worst runs scored per game in his starts (3.7 per). The. Worst. Oui of all the ML pitchers, he’s at the bottom. Give him .5 runs more, and he’s 75-65. 1 run more a game and he’s 90-50.

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

And if he gives up .5 less, he’s 75-65. One run less he’s 90-50. And those fractional runs per game are bullshit numbers anyway. No baseball team has ever scored 3.7 runs in a single game. Argue that one.

• unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Beyond belief? If they didn’t go 5 years, he’d be gone. Timmy would as well. I can’t help you if you can’t understand that the Giants don’t score a lot of runs. Less so for Matt, it seems.

40. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Henry reports that Bochy says Crawford will bat 7th. I’d imagine that leaves whomever plays 2B to bat 8th.
    Me no likey. That leaves a very shaky, no, shitty, bottom third of the order. That’s why I advocate batting Theriot/Burriss 2nd in the lineup instead of Melky. Melky down in the order helps us most as a run producer. Not as a table setter. Just my two cents…

41. Flavor said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm

What’s up with the bats across the bigs today? A bunch of 1-0 games. It is so totally stupid that the Giants STILL haven’t played their first game yet and won’t for another 24 hours. Oh well, tomorrow awaits……..

• DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

How do you know?

• Flavor said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Because I’m Big Flavor and everyone tells me I’m all knowing.

42. paulinasia said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Maybe I missed it here in recent days, but isn’t there usually a predictions contest here? W-L, where they’ll finish, etc….

• Flavor said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

maybe tomorrow. THey’re a little boring as everyone will come in with a similar number this year. And if you look at the last 2 opening day line ups they are nothing like the line ups that they end the year with making a *prediction* in April awfully suspect since it’s based off of an outcome that very likely will involve other, as yet undetermined, players…….
      But I’ll do one tomorrow, sure…….

43. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm

It took 16 innings for the Jays and Tribe to settle the score today. What did the Jays do? They saved their closer (Santos) until the 16th when a save opp presented itself. And what did Santos do? He saved the game like any good closer does when put in a save situation.

This is so funny that even Frank is laughing in the background. He spit up some fish and shrimp in the process, but he’s still laughing at when and how to use your closer.

• zumie said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I can beat crickets. Emphasis on the “beat”…

• Flavor said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

he didn’t get a save for that, Chief……..

• blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Flav, don’t let the truth get in the way of Dennis’s fairy tales.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:07 pm

He got the final two outs in a 7-4 victory. Official save or not, Santos closed the game for the Jays.
        More importantly Santos was used in the correct manner. When I see managers doing the right thing,
        God save us all.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Blade, are you on Twitter? I know Flav signed up but it looks like he abandoned it. Twitter is my social media. No more Facebook for me. If any of you Flappers do the Twitter thing, please give me your name and look me up.

Frank and I thank you.

• blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:35 pm

No . . . I rarely text, so twitter isn’t something I would be into. Surprised I use Facebook as much as I do. Who’s Frank?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Who’s Frank? You obviously have not paid close attention to my posts. Especially those late night rumblings when alcohol might be present. Think of Frank as “Catnac the Magnificent.” He’s a great seer, soothsayer and consumer of salmon.

Frank holds all the answers in Jonny Cat liners that have been hermetically sealed in his litter box since noon today. Only Frank, in his divine feline and mystical ways can ascertain the answers to questions never seen before.

Answer: Bozo, Chuck and Marilyn Monroe.

Name a fuck you, a fuck off, and someone we’d still like to fuck.

44. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 5:45 pm

The Friars have committed more errors than they have hits vs the Dodgers.
    Franks says their closer isn’t going to matter much today. More fish and shrimp please.

45. blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Eleven team batting averages in the Flap league under .256, so Flav’s point “What’s up with the bats across the bigs today?” is valid. My team’s batting frickin’ .146 and somehow I am clinging to second place.

• unca_chuck said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

And, it may be only for one day, but Unca’s Army leads the way . . .

• blade3colorado said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Props to you Chuck 🙂

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I accept no responsibility for this avatar.

47. twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

So, it appears that the opening day L/U will be thus:
    Pagan CF
    Melky RF
    Panda 3b
    Buster C
    Huff LF
    Belt 1B
    Crawford SS
    Burriss 2b
    Timmy P

First off, I’m predicting Burriss will hit 20 HR and drive in 80. Wait a minute, that’s was my call for Ort-Rod, Ishi, and Tejada… OK, 1 and 29 for Manny then..
    manny

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Seriously. Am I only the one who thinks batting Melky 2nd is a mistake?

I think he should bat 5/6th. I’m a big Bochy fan, but I think he’s swinging and missing on this one…

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Batting second he’s a .294 lifetime hitter, .339 OBP, .783 OPS…his best numbers at any LU position. He batted second last year, his best year in the bigs.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I can read the box. He’s had his majority of ABs batting 2nd. I’m sure he’s comfortable there. But Melky has also performed well down in the order. Albeit it was 8th and 9th in the lineup.

My point being: Melky isn’t not going to reach 200 hits like last yr. This team lacks “pop.” BUT if his OPS of .809 wasn’t a fluke, he’d do the team more good batting in the middle of the lineup than 2nd.

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Well, you’re wrong as usual. The 3-6 hitters all have pop (spare me a spiel on Huff, he’ll a have a good year), there”s no place for him there. Two is perfect.

49. irishman5574 said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

4th place, Likie. Long damn season so yes I am going to gloat! I think I started this way last year and then dropped you my usual place of close to the cellar. But I did improve from my first year, so this year I am shooting for oh say 6th place, way ahead of Dennis!!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Kevin, did you know that the name “Dennis” is derived from the Greco-Roman name Dionysus?
      I believe he was the Greek god of wine. Dennis and wine? Go figure. But Dennis has also been called the “Wise Discerner.”

For I know the
      thoughts that I think
      toward you,
      says the Lord,
      thoughts of peace
      and not evil,
      to give you a future
      and a hope.

Jeremiah 29:11

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Well, as the leader of heaven’s armies and patron saint of soldiers,I’ve assigned you to mess duty, Dion. Now hop to it, we need 500 pounds of spuds peeled and diced.for breakfast
        spuds

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Color yourself fortunate if you got a taste of my homemade mashed potatoes. It’s a bit of a chore, but it’s worthwhile when all is said and done. I load those suckers up with sour cream, tons of butter, 1/2 and 1/2, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Italian spices and a touch of love.

If your sitting at my table best not be the third guest who says “Please pass the mashed potatoes.”
        Lon Simmons will tell ya, “They’re way back. Way back. Way back. Tell them potatoes goodbye!”

50. paulinasia said, on April 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

OD lineup looks fine to me, knowing full well it will continually change, from one game to the next. Meaning, it sort of doesn’t matter. Personally, I’m really looking forward to a game when Burriss, Blanco, Pagan, and Melky are all in the lineup at the same time now and then. Loved Timmy’s quote about how he, as a pitcher, really likes all the speed on this team, because he, as a pitcher, hates it when he’s facing a team like that….

51. Flavor said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Dennis—my point above is that you’re always yapping about closers ONLY being used in a save situation. Then today you use Santos for some sort of *final* validation of this obsessive, never ending point you’ve been trying to make for 3 years. And yet Santos didn’t earn a save today. It’s actually quite funny and it adds to your absurd lore about when a manager should and should not use his closer…….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

So Santos didn’t technically earn the save. He got the save in my book. He was saved in the pen and used correctly. And when Bochy brings in The Beard in the B9 of a 2-2 tie tomorrow night, be prepared for Frank to cough up some fish and shrimp in a fit of rage.

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

He doesn’t do that, he’s used in the top of the 9th, at home, in tie games..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

That was an innocent typo. You guys know my feelings on closers and when and when not they should be used. Home game and The Beard comes into the T9 of a tie game? Frank runs for cover.

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

“So Santos didn’t technically earn the save. He got the save in my book.”
        What are the other books he tecnically got the save in?

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Why don’t yoiu ask Frank? He understands it..

52. DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hitting in the bottom third of the Yankee lineup a few years ago is a little different than doing it with the 2012 Giants…

• twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Since both of you never miss a chance to diss the team, you should team up, the potatoes would get done faster.

53. DJLoo said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

What happened to pinky?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Tuscadero? I think Fonzie fucked her three ways to Sunday. That opened the door for Chachi.

54. twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Vungo back to the DL with the calf injury. Not a good start for him in the Big Apple.

55. twinfan1 said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

“And finally, Boston beat Detroit 3-2. Today’s technical home runs went to Ellsbury and Ortiz for Boston, Raburn ….”

56. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I like my p/u of Zach Cozart at SS from the Reds to start the season. He’s a big unknown and doesn’t have a track record, but I like him batting 2nd (not like Melky) in the Reds lineup. Zach started off well going 2 fer 4 with a run scored. Cozart has B. Phillips in front, and Joey Votto hitting behind him. I like that sambitch.

Pass the mash potatoes. 😛

57. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm

From Rotowire: Aceves, who was anointed to replace Andrew Bailey as Boston’s closer this week, came on in a non-save situation with two men on and one out. He promptly hit Ramon Santiago, the Tigers’ ninth-place batter, to load the bases, before giving up the game-winning hit to Austin Jackson. So, it’s not a blown save, but it’s not a confidence builder either.

Not a confidence builder either? I could just stick ’em with sewing needle in the goddamn eye.

• Nipper said, on April 6, 2012 at 3:21 am

How about starting today with a nice cold one! Why wait?

58. Nipper said, on April 6, 2012 at 3:19 am

“And now let’s play some ball…..” BF’s best thought of the day. Bravo BF!