A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Breaking Down Opening Day…….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 6, 2012

Pagan was underwhelming. I know he had the double but he fucked up multiple times at the plate tonight in critical situations.

Pablo looks fat to me. Not as fat as he did at the end of 2010 but not good. I support muscle as weight but I can look at him and see that he’s not what he was last year. Having said that, his double in the 9th was brilliant. He tried an HR bomb swing on the first pitch. When that didn’t work he easily broke down Putz’ plan for him and ended it by blasting a double the other way. He didn’t used to do that. If he can somehow keep his weight under control (and I think he doesn’t have a pound to spare right now) then I think he will have a fantastic year………

Timmy sucked tonight. You can’t give up 3 runs in the first inning and expect to give your team a chance to compete. He rallied it together and had some nice strikeouts but that’s what the D-backs do, they strike out a lot. Couple the sh!t first inning with the ass up-face down in the bottom of the 6th and you have an opening day start for your ace that qualifies as *bad* and maybe worse.Unacceptable for Mr. 40+ Million Dollar/2Year Guy……..

Crawford’s error was horrible, a bad thumb isn’t an excuse for missing that…….

Posey can’t do that 2-0 with the game on the line……

And Belt looked beaten most of the night…….

Blanco. I like Blanco……..

And you can’t shake a stick at Melky and not be down with that cat. And remember, if you take away the Pagan double/Melky Bomb then all you have through 6 is the Crawford ground out to short stop to score a run. And that’s what last year was all about all year every fucking inning.

They battled today, and I enjoyed the game……….

1. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Carlos Beltran had a HR and reached base three times in the Cards’ opener today. Jeff Keppinger had two hits and batted cleanup for the Rays in their opener. How come we didn’t keep those two guys? Never fear. We got Pagan and the dynamic duo of Theriot and Burriss at 2B.

• zumie said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm

They’re already paying F. Sanchez $6 million a year, and are expecting him back. Keppinger only plays 2B.
      Beltran was too pricey, I’m guessing. I have no idea what St. Louis is paying him, actually.

• zumie said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Beltran, 2yrs/$13 million per, with a no-trade clause.

• twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm

It seems that Denny has decided that one game is plenty enough to figure what’s going to happen. Keppinger batted clean up and he’s calling that a GOOD thing? Sounds like one of the Geniuses’ weird moves. Denny would go postal if Bochy did such a thing…hell, *I’d* go postal.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I thought it was a joke myself when I saw Keppinger batting 4th. Go take it up with Joe Maddon. Maybe he was too engrossed reading Pawlie’s “Starry Night” and just started writing down names on his lineup card. It netted Maddon and his Rays 7 runs today. He should read more of Pawlie’s book and bat Keppinger cleanup once again tomorrow.

2. twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I’ll reserve judgement on all the guys for awhile. But after a poor spring ( not unusal for him), hoped to see a much better outing from Tim. They have to break up that 7/8- 8 would be a good spot for Fruckie when he returns, and it looks like he will.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Pagan, Cabrera and Sandoval are going to be a great combination. Sanchez will fit well in this line up. Lincecum getting knocked around in the thin air of Arizona doesn’t concern me too much. Let’s see how he does in SF.

Last year I would have lost hope in the bottom of the first and gone straight for the keg of home brew and blunts as I sat on the porch to listen as witness to the ineptitude unfolding. The club battling back to score 4 runs is encouraging to me.

4. twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

You can thank Mota for leaving Tim’s runners on second and third for this remaining a ballgame. He’ll have some stinkers but I hope he pitches until he’s 60. That’s one cool customer..

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Twin,agree about Mota.Ive been writing him off as just too old and would break down,but I will eat crow as he just keeps mowing guys down and he has that Dave Stewart look about him that I like.

BTW….Another oldie who will reach 60 before Mota and still might be out there is Omar V.Now even playing LF /1B with im sure every other spot on the infield when needed.Pretty amazing at 45.

5. Macdog said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Not the way we hoped the G’s would start off their pursuit to reclaim the West from last year’s upstarts, but we get two more shots at them this weekend. The best to be said about Timmy is that he was slightly less worse than Mariano. The three errors ain’t gonna cut it either, with Buster’s being the most costly, especially with Kubel jogging most of the way. Like many of you, though, I liked the way they overcame the 3-0 deficit and battled right to the end, and Mota was superb keeping them in the game. One more thing: I know it led to the tying run, but Font’s bunt bothered me a bit. No outs, 1st and 2nd, it seemed like they were playing for a tie there. But that’s a minor quibble, they did tie it only to see Timmy undo the rally by giving back the lead.

• twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Font isn’t with them, it was Theriot who bunted, and as it usually is, the bunt was the wrong call. Bochy rarely does that. It would been fine if he was prepared to hit for Tim. Runners second and third for Crawford and the pitcher? No thanks. ( Yes, I know Crawdaddy got a grounder to score a run. Second and third one out, you need two runs)…

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Ha! My bad. Can’t tell them damn Cajuns apart.

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Timmy’s FB topped out at 91 mph tonight. How long until batters just sit on his changeup and not worry about his 2002 Barry Zito fastball?

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:10 pm

4 days.

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Jesus Denny, 1 freakin start when most pitchers are still on limited pitch counts and managers not wanting them to blow out their arms this soon,are not gonna have.them throw 100MPH unless it Dusty Baker who famous for that and.still does that shit with Chapman..

Timmy still got his K’s striking out the side once .WTF was wrong with that.He will be hitting 94 in a few more starts,so just CHILL OUT for now

7. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

If you guys have a spare moment, step away from your computer, get off your fat ass and go outside for a moment and take a gander at tonight’s full moon. April’s full moon resembles the appearance of moss pink — one of the first spring flowers. It’s also known as the “Egg Moon.” I don’t know how the Easter Bunny feels about that, but that bastard better have my basket filled up come Sunday.

8. twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

His fast ball as 91 or less most of the time last year. And it’s not the change up they’d sit on-it’s the number 1 HR pitch in baseball- the slider he said he was ditching..

9. Flavor said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Mota is a fucking unappreciated stud as I’ve posted many times. This was my best post about him last year:
    Dennis, I hope you continue to post Keppinger’s stats every day. He’s owned in 0.5% of all leagues in Espn. In fact, as you slather your praise on him tonight, he continues to be un-owned by you. So how about you shut the fuck up about players the Giants don’t have anymore unless you actually play them on a fantasy team FOR A FULL FUCKING YEAR!!!!! Take your single game bullshit and stick it wherever you stick shit that means less than zero…………

• twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm

He’s not unappreciated here.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:22 pm

yes, he is. Maybe by a few he’s appreciated but a few don’t make up *many*. And subtract the The Flap and see how many fans appreciate this guy. Mota is the Man. And he’s going to get a lot more manly during the next few Zito starts………

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I was just mentioning the fact that Keppinger batted cleanup today. I thought it to be odd. Regardless, don’t tell me you wouldn’t rather have Keppinger right now than whatever we trot out there at 2B. And I bet you’re feeling doubly perturbed that I didn’t bite on your Timmy for Greinke trade in our fantasy league. No dice.

If you thought Timmy’s performance tonight was bad, check out the 3rd race at Santa Anita tomorrow. They’re going 6 1/2 F down the hillside turf. #7 is LINCECUM.He’s 15-1 on the ML.

The 7 horse! Nobody bets the 7 horse, Flav. The 7 horse is a joke. They let little kiddies on the 7 horse to have their picture taken.”

So says Tony Cheeseburger. Let It Ride.

10. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Mota was my Willie Mac choice last year, Flav.
    Check the tower logs, for Christ sake!!!

11. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I have this nagging feeling that Huff is done. If that’s the case Belt had best get his ass squared away and start shitting Tiffany cufflinks…

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Huff could easily be done. And Belt got schooled tonight like a 5th grader beats up a 4th grader. But those are the questions that every team has right now……..

12. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I’ll go on record right now that Huff finishes with less than 10 homers and 50 RBI this season…

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Loo…And that could very well be true.It also means Bochy would of stuck with.his old vet too long for.the.season,like he did with freakin Winn and his freakin 2 HR season in 550 AB’s back in 09.

• Randman said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:32 am

Yeah, should have played that budding superstar Schierholtz instead.

• willieD said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

oh man, let’s not start the HR watch on Giant’s OF again…when was that, 2009?

13. Nipper said, on April 7, 2012 at 6:54 am

The Giants look okay to me. Not great but okay. They battled and that means something.

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2012 at 6:57 am

Pujols making a ton of money didn’t do much in his first game for the Angels. So there!

14. blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:09 am

If I had landed here from another planet and read the Flap, I would think the Giants were a POS team. The reality is that I saw quite a few things I liked:

1. They battled back to tie the game.
    2. Pagan’s double and Melky’s home run.
    3. Pagan’s speed to first (where he made it close on an infield grounder to short).
    4. Posey looking like Posey and saying, “It felt normal. It didn’t take long at all.”
    5. Lincecum settling down after the first.
    6. Mota being a stud in long relief.
    7. Game 1 of 162, which if you are an optimist, means we can still go 161-1. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

Forgot two more things I liked . . . Per the SF Gate, “Pablo Sandoval also had a good day at the plate. He just missed a two-run homer in the first inning and hit a two-out RBI double in the ninth that got the Giants within one run before Posey’s groundball ended it.” and;

The fact we still had a chance to tie the game if Posey had gotten a hit in the ninth.

• Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:32 am

Posey’s at bat in the 9th sucked. 2-0 and you roll one to short? Awful.

15. denniszu said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’ve read all your comments, many of which are not positive; I saw the flaws; but I saw a team that did what they couldn’t do last year…. fight back. That to me says something big….. To have Posey back is such a bright light to the success of the team and with the tools that Pagan, Melky and Blanco bring that wasn’t there before may well help to register >3 runs/game avg.
    I won’t get too excited as there are 161 games to go and I can only fantasize the end result…. which I will continue to do!

16. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Many *here*, which means this blog, have posted repeatedly about Mota’s worth, none more than me. No one has has exclusive rights to praising his work..
    Denny Boy, batting Kepp did not net 7 runs- he did not score or drive in runs. As I said- you’d piss and moan and go postal if Bochy did it- hell you went postal when Molina hit 4th and he went 20-80…
    Pujols “looked beaten most of the night”..
    The HR’s off Tim had nothing to do with the ballpark- they were easily out at ATT also..I’m not worried about one start, but following his poor spring and mediocre September, it wasn’t a comforting beginning to 2012..
    His performance and Pablo’s continuing problems throwing were the only things last night of any significance at all.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

I didn’t fill out the Rays’ lineup card. I just reported it. If you have a problem with Kepp batting 4th, go take it up with Joe Maddon.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

Pay attention: you think it was a good move. And I’ve already posted what I thought of it.

17. willieD said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

i’m starting to wonder if the cult of Nate has been superseded by the cult of Pill. Other than a few ABs end of season, in other words garbage time long after everything had been decided, he hasn’t done anything at mlb level, ever. For all those happy with bochy decisions on the roster, he isn’t going to abandon Huff after 2 or 3 ABs for a guy with zero track record. P barely made the team–they don’t think he is 20/80 .850 OPS guy.
    What type of LU do you want? the all speed OF with pagan and blanco, who would be lucky to hit 10 HRs btw them? Nate? again, same issue–he hits 10 bombs a year if he’s lucky. FS might be back in two weeks, which shoves one of crawford/theriot/burriss to the bench (or worse), and he would likely take over 2 spot in the LU. Melk might move into 5 spot with belt 6th, but I’m not sweating mgr LU/decisions. i saw a lot of in bochy we trust here couple days ago, and I’m not sure where that went all of a sudden.
    If SF gets better pitching than it did yesterday out of the SP, they’ll be fine.

18. James said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

The only thing I saw last night that I’m tempted to draw any negative conclusions from is that 90 mph fastball. I was one of those who grew skeptical about Bumgarner’s diminished fastball a couple of years ago, based in part on what has happened to other prospects. Lincecum’s fastball has already dropped in mph at an age earlier than other power pitchers, especially one who has not had major arm troubles.

The Ks are a good sign that he should still be an above average pitcher, even if it turns out he will be working with an average fastball. Obviously, command would be the the key to remaining better than above average.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

Of course, you were wrong about MadBum, however.

• James said, on April 7, 2012 at 10:06 am

MadBum beat the odds, at least based on years of watching various pitching prospects flame out with arm troubles. I am a pussy who usually doesn’t make unqualified predictions.

• James said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

There’s a missing transition in my post: “Lincecum’s case is different from Bumgarner’s.”

19. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:27 am

MLB.COM says Tim’s average fast ball was 89.7. But they also say, according to Pav, that he he didn’t throw any sliders, although their own game day refutes that. Regardless, it wasn’t the way you’d like to see 2012 begin after his poor spring.

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

Same exact lineup today with the lone exception that Keppinger is playing 2B and batting cleanup.

21. irishman5574 said, on April 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

Damn 1 game and I come on here and there are a bunch of Splashers 💩💩out here not Flappers. Anyway 161 games to go and you would think that the giants were going to own the cellar for the rest of the season. And some of you need to go back and look at the posts for we all commented on about the opening day starting line up for the 2010 WS Champion Giants, there were 1 or 2 changes to that line up over the course of the year. Me, I am going to enjoy 7 long months of Giants baseball, some of it is going to be great and some of it is going to be just plain butt ugly. Oh and I am going to enjoy reading this blog, even the dumb shit stuff that is said here. 💩💩

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

We’re already 1 1/2 GB of the Dodgers. I’m tying my noose now.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Irish, with Denny now posting 300 times a day, what did you expect?

22. stixwiz said, on April 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Sour bunch today. Yet, the hitting appears much improved. Some concern about Timmy here too, but not out and out worried. Defense glitches looked like Opening Day jitters. No fears there. Led by Mota, the bullpen stymied the vaunted Snakes offense. If Arizona thinks the feast will continue, they get to face a 22 Y.O. countryboy today. Could be instructive.

Major message to Bochy: Waaay too early to bench Huff, but get him the hell outta the Enforcer position. He should bat 7th.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

Good idea, and bat Theriot 5?
      Let’s give it more than one game before LU bashing begins in earnest. Those who must bash can head over to the Ray’s site.

23. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Pagan CF, Cabrera RF, Sandoval 3B, Posey C, Huff LF, Belt 1B, Theriot 2B, Crawford SS, (Bumgarner P)

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

Bum can hit too.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

So can the Snakes Daniel Hudson. He hit .277 with 14 RBI last year. That would have earned him a starting spot in our OF last year.

Nothing like a fresh bear claw from your bakery to brighten your Saturday morning.

24. snarkk said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:06 am

The point I draw most from yesterday is that this squad will definitely be better hitting/scoring. Last year’s team, especially after Posey and Franchez went down, would have had virtually no shot to come back from 3 down. That was encouraging. D’backs can hit — if the back of their rotation can pitch a little, they are going to be tough. This division is looking like a dogfight; watch out for LA after the new owners come in, they will be a big playah at the trade deadline…

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:31 am

They hit in 2010 as well. Hitting has little to do with their success. They hit the same when they lost 97 games. The relief pitching was the big diff. 5.74 ERA in 2010, 3.71 last year. That and Kennedy.

25. James said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

It should also be noted that the Giant’s 3rd run didn’t score because Crawford hit a weak grounder to third. They got that run because villains Huff and Belt delivered base hits off of a very tough pitcher.

Belt is going to K a lot. I hope many of those Ks are on marginal called strikes. That means he will also be drawing lots of walks.

• James said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

grounder to short.

26. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

One of the few times that Bochy has fallen victim to brain dead small ball.

27. irishman5574 said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

Damn still analyzing after one day, that is a bunch of 💩💩!!! One, yes one game.

28. snarkk said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

MLB has not vetted the LA deal yet. I think the ink isn’t dry on it. McCourt’s lurking involvement is a fly in the ointment. I would not doubt it if owner approval is conditioned on McCourt getting cut out totally and finally, like an abscessed tooth….

• Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

I can’t think of why an owner wouldn’t vote in favor of a baseball team selling for north of 2 billion dollars….

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I think they’ll force them to re-arrange the terms of the deal to force McCourt out, so it could result in a higher ultimate price…

29. zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Warren Sapp filed for bankruptcy.
    He’s never been one of my favorites. (understatement)

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm

He’s the scum bag who “outed” the guy who blew the whistle on “Bountygate”..

• zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm

And the guy who tackled Jerry Rice by his facemask and put Rice out for the season.

• zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Although I wasn’t thrilled with the playcall either. An end-around to our 35 year-old Hall of Fame wide receiver. Not Marriucci’s finest moment.

• Alleykat said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

And he was the guy that ruined the buffet tray in Beverly Hills Cop…..Oh wait that was Eddie Murphy not Warren Sapp who would have eaten the whole buffet.

30. zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Eric Byrnes. It has to be Eric Byrnes today.
    Sigh.

31. gianthead said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Back from vacation, so did not get to see a lot of the game. The Lincecum misses looked like Zito’s best stuff, straight as an arrow hovering over the plate.

I had a feeling they would tie it in the 9th, just short. Got to see if Blanco can play and stick at the leadoff spot? Did Toores get hurt for the Mets yesterday? Lot to catch up on…

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I don’t like this early pattern of our SPs given up gopher balls like they’re going out of style…

33. James said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I may get to the first spring lawn mowing a little early today.

34. irishman5574 said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Who the hell are the announcers on fox?? Doing a shit job

35. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

With all the glee about Rowand having a bad spring, something worth laughing at: Cousins didn’t make it either.

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Unfuckingbelievable. Gopher City.

37. Macdog said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’m listening to the radio feed on mlb.tv thanks to “Fuck Fox’s” Saturday afternoon blackout, but I’m sure it looks just as ugly as it sounds.

38. unca_chuck said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Wow. Bummie didn’t believe the 1st one and gave Hill the 2nd . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I sent you another trade offer. Check it out please. No superstars involved in this one.

39. unca_chuck said, on April 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Byrnsie and Sutton. Byrnsie gets annoying after about 30 seconds.,

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

You should have seen the prick a few days ago on the MLB Net when they held their little fantasy draft. First he waited too long to make a pick (25 sec clock) and he bitched and moaned when he got moved back to the end. Then after they ran all the numbers through the computer, his team lost in the finals and then he just stormed off the set with 5 mins. left in the show. He’s an asshole.

40. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Pablo!!!

41. Macdog said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Yay Pablo!

42. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Swinging for the fences (works in Arizona) here in the Wood with Casual Trick. That horse owes me money.
    And he’s trained by Zito for good measure. Good luck.

43. blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Just my opinion, but Otero’s pitches are straight as an arrow . . . Surprised that Upton didn’t lace the one he got caught looking at. They better get him out of there.

44. Brian said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Otero looks extremely hittable. Good thing they have that 8-man bullpen

45. James said, on April 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Damn, thought Huff had that one.

46. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

What was all that bullshit about RH pop off the bench not being so important?

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Is it more important than defense? We’ll see.

• zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:23 pm

If he keeps doing that, he won’t be on the bench all that long. (grin)

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

If he keeps doing that, he’ll hit 81 HRs. So- who do have have him supplanting, two whole games in?

47. Macdog said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Pill in a pinch!

48. Brian said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Yeah Pill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

See Brett hit. See Brett trot. Me likie 🙂

50. James said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

51. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Sometimes things work out, the only reason Pill hit against the RHer instead of Hector, is not wanting to use the second catcher.

52. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Phil just shot 30 on the back 9. Go Phil!

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

We know all about your love for Mr. Jiggles. Talk to me when he gets his 15th major..

53. Bozo said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Flav – They called me.

54. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

If Pill does show he’s more than a AAAA hitter, they’d be able to what they should do anyway- platoon him with Belt and forget the Buster at first base silliness..

55. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Buster was over matched in that AB by Hernandez. Nothing fancy there.

56. blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Damn shadows are making it even more difficult.

57. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm

These 5-4 defeats are becoming monotonous.

58. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm

pluses: Pablo, Pill and the pen.
    minuses: SP once again. Pagan, Posey and the bottom third of the lineup have netted next to nothing.
    Last few yrs when we scored 4 is was damn near an automatic W. Maybe give Blanco, Pill and Burriss a start tomorrow. It’s reassuring to know that we have Cain on the hill to be our stopper.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

A reasonably intelligent post, Denny. Blanco and Burris: yes .Posey should get a break as well. No to Pill. Huff is squaring the ball up and Belt has a hit and walk that should have been key but were wasted.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

BTW, “Pear Butt” is descriptive of Mr. Posey’s physique, it’s not a nickname. The pear here is Buster, Panda would be the apple..
        pear

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Grab a cold one.

59. Nipper said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Win for tomorrow! Cain will show everyone who is top dog.

• DJLoo said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Or top paid dog.

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Cain got market value.

• DJLoo said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:42 pm

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Top paid dog? I thought that was Lassie..

60. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Not tonight.

• DJLoo said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:06 pm

61. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Loo deleleted his posts, so my responses won’t make sense.

• DJLoo said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

62. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Back to baseball, Cain trails only Roy Oswalt among NL pitchers for most wins above replacement (23.4) since 2006.

63. irishman5574 said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I see everyone is getting along out here, let me see if I can imitate a splasher, Team ERA must be through the roof, time to trade Timmy and Bum. I sure hope the Giants new $100 mill man can stop the bleeding, oh whoa is me!

64. DJLoo said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Maybe I need a vacation.

65. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

89.4 says as much as is needed to know about Timmy’s outing. He’s had stinkers early before so no alarm yet, but except for his apologists, there’s reason for *some* concern..

66. Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I deleted Loo’s posts.

67. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Well, he’s a little out of sorts, I guess.

• Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm

it was over the top so I deleted them. I even checked to see if it was someone else using his handle but it wasn’t. Go take a nap, Loo. Or eat a plum. My mom used to tell me to go eat a plum. Made no sense then, makes no sense now….

• twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Loo’s a smart guy. I’ve suffered a major setback since my optimitic report just a few days ago. He probably sensed that and figured it was a good time to comment lovingly on my family and many friends. I was touched.

68. zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm

The Giants are hardly alone in rough starts. Bobby Valentine’s not having any fun in Boston yet. Boston sports-talk radio is probably lighting it up.

69. blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love the beginning of Fantasy League Baseball. In one of my leagues, I am in first and have been since the Seattle/Oakland series in Japan . . . In the Flap league, just today – I started out in 8th, went to 4th, then to 11th, and now in 5th. However, i got to give a big shout out and props to Merry old Ed of England, who gained 25 plus points so far today and is kicking ass in 3rd place. 😉

70. Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

For the first week or so, I don’t even check the standings unless I happen to seem them accidently. Even when I copy and paste the Flap standings in I haven’t really looked at them yet. Too many wild changes. Plus, I’ve got some pitchers that are getting lit up this year so that pretty much dooms me on all 5 pitching categories to start the year……
    I’m watching the A’s game. My daughter is at a movie and I’m a little under the weather. Man, Oakland looks and feels like a cemetery this year. It’s possible it always feels this way, I almost never watch A’s games.
    Big Fat Bartolo Colon was sailing along until he gave it up in the 4th. If I was an A’s fan, I would find a way to stop myself from being one………

71. Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I think Cespedes is going to hit about .230 this year. He swings as hard as he can on every single swing and he’s easy to break down with a slider.

• blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I like his confidence though . . . Per Rotowire, “The Showcase is certainly living up to the hype so far. His home run was a towering shot that hit the facade in front of the second deck, but apparently that was nothing. “I’ve hit longer home runs in Cuba,” Cespedes said. “For me, I just want to bring the power to the team. I tried to get a good pitch and make better contact.”

• Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

King Felix hit him with a pitch earlier in the game. He GRAZED his jersey and the ump gave it to him. He spun around and gave Felix an *extra* stare. He’s gonna have to get rid of that shit ASAP. Felix just shook his head at him……..

• Macdog said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Cespedes also paused a bit to admire his monster shot before going into his trot last night. That ain’t gonna go over too well in the bigs, especially against a division opponent.

72. Flavor said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm

MIguel Cabrera and Fielder each banged 2 bombs today. I don’t have either on a single fantasy team. Fielder because of his deal and I steer clear of *big deal* guys in the first year and Cabrera because he’s moving to a new position and I didn’t want to fuck around with a *first pick* guy who had someone thing new and extraneous going on (same reason I steered clear of Braun until he found his way on to my Flap auto pick team).
    But the other reason i wouldn’t draft Cabera or Fielder is because they are both fat as fuck. FATTER than fuck, actually. They make Pablo 2010 look like their young pre-teen son. One or both of those guys will hit the DL this year with some fat-related ailment, whether it’s direct or indirect. Book it……….

73. twinfan1 said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I forgot to say hello to Joe..uh, hello.

74. zumie said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Gotta give the hapless Padres some credit for coming back against the Dodgers and tying the score 5-5 at the moment.

75. blade3colorado said, on April 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

For me, I dislike “Old Fucks” and related to that, low batting average guys. However, I will take I. Suzuki all day long and on Sunday too. I could care less what he did last year, i.e., that was an outlier to me. Yeah, he is old, but someone like him will defy time. I tried to trade for him in both of my leagues, but no one will let him go. Another guy I have had in the past and he has ALWAYS PERFORMED for me is Konerko . . . I have him in my Yahoo league and I thought he was going to show his age this year, so tried to deal him. No go . . . Now, I am glad I got turned down, since it looks like he will be doing the same thing he always does, which is hit for a good average, 25-30 HRs, and 100 RBIs.

Fielder, Cabrera, Pujols, Votto, and especially, Texiera do nothing for me. They play first base and first basemen are a dime a dozen. I know I will get a decent 1st baseman in later rounds. Shortstop, third base, and catcher are the prime positions (second base too, albeit, last year, quite a few came into their own, e.g., Ackley, Kipnis, etc.).